As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ninja [Chat] Party

19495969798100»

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    it is my understanding that the best weapon is the chakram

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    what about the plague censor

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Rome did try to outfit most of their soldiers with a gladius.

They lead off with javelins and spears then switch to the gladius for hand to hand combat after they fucked the shit out of their shield formations.

Well they also were much better at holding those formations than most folks.

And also using them for brutal efficiency.

The formations weren't as tight as most would think.

A properly spaced maniple will allow 3-4 feet of space between each legionary in a shield line. This allowed them full use of the gladius and their training of using the shield as a secondary weapon (there's a reason for that big ass bronze bas in the middle of those big ass rectangles), while still being close enough to close ranks into a shield wall or move to assist another soldier if their facing multiple targets.

the idea they always marched shoulder-to-shoulder is quite silly if you think about it for a few seconds

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    anime anime anime

2xhVYMjl.jpg

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    are we talking pre-marian reforms tho

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    what about meteor swarm

• Options
    what about summon elemental IX

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Only thing better than a sword is two swords. When we used to pretend to be characters from Robin of Sherwood at primary school everyone always wanted to be Nasir, the guy from the show who had two swords and was widely regarded as the biggest badass.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    Rome did try to outfit most of their soldiers with a gladius.

They lead off with javelins and spears then switch to the gladius for hand to hand combat after they fucked the shit out of their shield formations.

yeah only the poorest class of soldier in the pre-marian legions didn't have gladii, being unarmoured javelin skirmishers. Everyone else had the gladii as their main weapon. The roman focus always was on infantry just getting in there, after a javelin volley.

Which worked, especially after the marian reforms, because the roman legions were the best trained in the world. Their forte was getting stuck in and not relenting, because their disclipline and training was superior. Not necessarily their combat skill. Or equipment, really.

The other was being masters of logistics.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Only if your name is Sun Shang Xiang

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Only thing better than a sword is two swords. When we used to pretend to be characters from Robin of Sherwood at primary school everyone always wanted to be Nasir, the guy from the show who had two swords and was widely regarded as the biggest badass.

Three swords. Five. Eight.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

what about

two swords in each hand

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

this ignores Xena Warrior Princess and is antifeminist

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    what about meteor swarm

If Fu So Ya taught me anything, it's that it's properly expressed as Meteo.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Daddy 2 gladii

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    After two swords the public clamors for three but the real chic thing to do is to bring it back down to one

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    first cymber implant i get is swords for arms and legs

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I've been watching a lot of videos on various roman battles

so many of them go "romans are attacked, romans hold, enemy retreats, repeat" and so many of their disasters come from them not staying put and just taking it

not great warriors, not great equipment - the gauls were vastly superior ironsmiths - just pure training and discipline and centurions with their beating sticks.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

this ignores Xena Warrior Princess and is antifeminist

Xena used it more as a tool, than a killing implement. Lucy Lawless is her own ultimate weapon.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    the most powerful weapon is love or ki or chi

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »
    Three swords. Five. Eight.

There's that great scene in the Sinbad movie with Carol Munroe as the damsel and Tom Baker as the bad guy where a status of a six-armed goddess comes to life and she wields six swords. That was pretty cool.

General Grievous should, therefore, be similarly badass, but somehow sidesteps cool and stands firmly on the spot labelled rubbish.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    a sword but it's actually a spear but the length of a sword

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

vEYnPcyl.jpg

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i have been known to enjoy anime and may in fact own several wall scrolls that my wife refuses to let me hang from the walls, in all of their glory

• Options
    with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I hope Geth picks me because I'm about to go into a meeting and that always happens and I get to do a one line chat opener.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    mods are caught in intractable political posturing in local democratic political meetings

post anime

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is force touch on trackpads the worst thing ever

oh goody I can't click and drag anymore!

• Options
    DFqWUoSXcAAWNq2.jpg:large

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    mods are caught in intractable political posturing in local democratic political meetings

post anime

This is the future liberals want

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

so many of them go "romans are attacked, romans hold, enemy retreats, repeat" and so many of their disasters come from them not staying put and just taking it

The Totenberg forest says hi!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Is it just me or is force touch on trackpads the worst thing ever

oh goody I can't click and drag anymore!

trackpads are already the worst thing ever

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

not great warriors, not great equipment - the gauls were vastly superior ironsmiths - just pure training and discipline and centurions with their beating sticks.

Clearly you haven't watched enough Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

post anime

This is the future liberals want

the future is now

399.jpg

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 3.6

@Harry Dresden will create the new thread
    @Bogart is backup

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    721836648_AeP4n-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

post anime

Lol no one would host a meeting at 7 in the am

Are you crazy tilder

This discussion has been closed.