Options

Bob Jones University

SamSam Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Who actually goes here? I was looking the place up (www.bju.edu) and find it hard to believe such an institution can exist at the university level. This is a campus that actively persecuted interracial dating until the early 2000's, organizes chaperones for dates or "mixed groups" (i.e a group with both genders) to socialize. In the dorms, you can't have your own TV, and students are forbidden from watching any films rated over G (Actually says so on the website...)
There's also dress codes that essentially ban jeans, enforce ties and forbid girls from wearing pants except in their dorms.

Who the fuck actually goes there for college? I'm lucky enough to have my parents support me at a deent university. But if they didn't, or insisted on BJU, I think I'd go with student loans and junior college instead.

Sam on

• Options
    BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Crazy Christians. also those that don't know any better.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BSU...they're special.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's fucked up, but I get the feeling these people know what they're getting into.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Any time you hear the words "non-accredited university", just keep walking.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

meaning of course your degree is barely worth the paper it's written on

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never got the whole "girls shouldn't wear pants" thing? Are the supposed to wear skirts in the winter?

LRG on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know how many people in our current administration graduated from BJU(heh, BJ University)? I don't recall the exact percentage. But whatever it was, it was high enough to make me want to crawl under my bed and gnaw on my own arm.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    I never got the whole "girls shouldn't wear pants" thing? Are the supposed to wear skirts in the winter?

What's so special about skirts anyway? They make it much easier to access the vagina.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

Depends entirely on whether the person hiring you is also crazy.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

What's so special about skirts anyway? They make it much easier to access the vagina.

I think you may have answered your own question.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bob Jones University is a member of the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) [PO Box 328, Forest, VA 24551; Telephone: 434.525.9539; info@tracs.org], having been awarded Accredited status as a Category IV institution by the TRACS Accreditation Commission on November 8, 2006; this status is effective for a period of five years.

TRACS is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).

Apparently people from there do get jobs and go to grad school.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And I thought only real colleges could get a .edu domain? What happened there?

edit: beat'd

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's a christian college. There are plenty of them, I just never heard of rules this crazy

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

I think you may have answered your own question.

So the entire university is just a front for getting girls to wear skirts so you don't have to wait for them to take their pants off?

Clever.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »

Depends entirely on whether the person hiring you is also crazy.

Right, to the broader academic community these people are nutjob outsiders. Inside their own community, they are it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    It's a christian college. There are plenty of them, I just never heard of rules this crazy

Evidently they only got accredited by a real accreditation agency a year ago, which is news to me. Non-accredited universities need to register .com instead of .edu.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Missionary Aviation (Flight Option Only - Women)

The objective of this program is to train students who wish to prepare for service on the mission field to perform as safe and competent pilots. The flight courses provide ground and flight instruction for the Private Pilot Certificate followed by advanced training leading to the attainment of the instrument rating and the Commercial Pilot Certificate. Supportive courses in Bible and missions are an integral part of your preparation.

They also have a Bible course for women and a Masters in Medical Missions for Women.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wasn't Oral Roberts like this for the longest time as well?

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Although it wasn't BJU, I had an ex who went to a crazy bible college upon graduating from her crazy bible high school. The messed up thing was none of the credits she got there could transfer to a state university, and she even ran into some admissions trouble since the high school wasn't accredited by the stat either.

It's all religion and upbringing. When you're indoctrinated into a system from the time your a kid, it makes going to a college that is nothing like a "regular" college, taking bible classes, and very little science all seem normal. Besides, most of the people at those schools are there to find someone to marry before taking up "service" in the church.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's all for the prestige. When people hear a name like "Bob Jones" they can't help but imagine academic excellence. Maybe if they were a safety school it would be "Robert Jones" or just simply "Jones University", but when you're as high-class, as quality-ridden as BJU is, there's no option but Bob Jones.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

To the best of my knowledge, they did receive accrediation sometime in the past couple of years.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cervetus wrote: »
    It's all for the prestige. When people hear a name like "Bob Jones" they can't help but imagine academic excellence. Maybe if they were a safety school it would be "Robert Jones" or just simply "Jones University", but when you're as high-class, as quality-ridden as BJU is, there's no option but Bob Jones.
    I think Bobert Jones is much more prestigious.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Although it wasn't BJU, I had an ex who went to a crazy bible college upon graduating from her crazy bible high school. The messed up thing was none of the credits she got there could transfer to a state university, and she even ran into some admissions trouble since the high school wasn't accredited by the stat either.

It's all religion and upbringing. When you're indoctrinated into a system from the time your a kid, it makes going to a college that is nothing like a "regular" college, taking bible classes, and very little science all seem normal. Besides, most of the people at those schools are there to find someone to marry before taking up "service" in the church.

Kinda scary how parents are so willing to cripple their kid's futures

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LOLReligion thread - University Edition!

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I use to live about an hour from BJU. The campus is rather pretty, well maintained. And ringed by a 8-10 foot fence and gated. It has the air of a government facility, "pretty" but imposing. The main entrance is equipped with security booths.

TVs aren't allowed in the dorms, and the only music allowed to be played is approved Christian music. Every student has a curfew, and the gates do close, so aside from scaling said 8-10 foot fence the only way back on campus after curfew is the main entrance. Interracial dating is frowned upon, although not "officially" forbidden. All other dating is chaperoned, and any public affection is forbidden, except in designated areas where hand-holding is allowed. There is a list of acceptable places to go off campus, and if you're found anywhere not on the list you can be placed on academic probation or expelled.

So basically it's total insulation and brainwashing, it prepares the people who go there for nothing but exactly the job it says it's preparing them for. Fundies see it as a mecca. Everyone else sees it the same way Jews see Mecca.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well every person educated in that system is one less person I need to compete against in the "Real World"?

Malkor on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    LOLReligion thread - University Edition!

This is not a useful contribution.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    fzoulfzoul Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    I pass this place on the way to work everyday.
    They teach their kids santa isnt real.
    and you have to have parental concent to date outside your race(which i think would give your parents the option of being racist for you)

fzoul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    fzoul wrote: »

I have some bad news for you...

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    fzoul wrote: »
    I pass this place on the way to work everyday.
    and you have to have parental concent to date outside your race(which i think would give your parents the option of being racist for you)

Well. I'm imagining all the students sitting in an auditorium on the first day and the President says, 'SANTA ISN'T REAL!'. 18 year olds crying all over.

I have a friend who went to Indiana Wesleyan University after some mistakes. His parents said he could either go there or live on the street. The school suposedly had rules and regs similar to BJU, but the kids spent all their time trying to get around them. I went to a boarding school for HS so I could totally relate to some of his stories. They'd sneak into the opposite sex's dorms, had a 'black market' for alcohol and drugs, and generally did what they wanted to, they just hid it very well. The kid was a relative bad apple to begin with, but whenever he'd come back we would be careful with him, 'cause he's fucking crazy now.

Malkor on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's just the thing. These parents don't believe that they are crippling their kids by sending them there. For instance, my ex's family believed that it was the best thing for her. The parents are hyper religious and believed that one of those universities would be the best place she could get an education and good religious education (as well as a husband, probably).

The sad part is their academics were WAY under par.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sam wrote: »
    I had a girlfriend who went to a bible college that had similar rules, and was quite accredited. It was pretty crazy. It's not uncommon, though...there are schools like this all across the country, they just generally aren't as high-profile. Many actually offer decent educations, though I'd avoid them for the sciences. ;-)

Another friend of mine went to one that actually affiliated with a nearby state university campus, so that students could enroll concurrently and pursue majors that they otherwise would not have been able to offer (being a smaller school).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    That's just the thing. These parents don't believe that they are crippling their kids by sending them there. For instance, my ex's family believed that it was the best thing for her. The parents are hyper religious and believed that one of those universities would be the best place she could get an education and good religious education (as well as a husband, probably).

To each their own. I can only hope these kind of outliers stay on the fringe.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    For instance, my ex's family believed that it was the best thing for her. The parents are hyper religious and believed that one of those universities would be the best place she could get an education and good religious education (as well as a husband, probably).

This is a big thing that draws fundie kids (and parents) to such campuses. They even get amusing nicknames, like Southwestern Bridal College (instead of Southwestern Bible College) and the Manhattan Meat Market (Manhattan Christian College).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hah. They don't even offer a Philosophy degree. I wonder why...

This place sounds a lot like Trinity Western University (TWU), which is quite close to where I live. A couple of my buddies went there once for a weekend tour thing, and they said it had some of the same crazy rules. No co-ed dorms, must sign some kind of contract that forbids stuff like drinking, smoking, sex, drug usage, and I think atheism as well. It's also private, so the tuition is absolutely insane.

It's terrible. Institutions like these are just batshit.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    This place sounds a lot like Trinity Western University (TWU), which is quite close to where I live. A couple of my buddies went there once for a weekend tour thing, and they said it had some of the same crazy rules. No co-ed dorms, must sign some kind of contract that forbids stuff like drinking, smoking, sex, drug usage, and I think atheism as well. It's also private, so the tuition is absolutely insane.

Forbidding R-rated movies and non-Christian music is not uncommon as well.
    I actually went through a phase where I was looking at schools like these. *shudder*

mcdermott on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

To each their own. I can only hope these kind of outliers stay on the fringe.

A good number of them are working in the Executive branch at the moment.

And don't think all religious schools are as crazy or idiotic as some of these unacreditted behemoths. Jesuits, for instance, aren't insane and offer excellent educations.

moniker on
  • Options
    KucerakovKucerakov Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    Yeah many of the "Young Earth" geologists went there, although many go on to get real graduate degrees. It's hilarious how they approach science. Just like the Bush admin (which is no surprise being there are so many BJU grads in there) they decide on what they believe, then search for facts to back it up. They claim that the reason many rocks appear to be older, as far as scientifically testing them shows, is because of the immense pressure caused by the flood and the magmatic action of "the waters of the deep" mentioned flowing up in the bible. Yup, the reason we have geologically mis-dated these rocks is becuase STUPID scientists forgot to account for the flood. Duh!

For more hilarity see the new york times magazine from, I think, early-mid November (zany new-earth fundie geologists) and Lies and the Lying liars who tell them by Al Franken. He visits BJU with a harvard intern posing as Mom's boyfriend and son trying to get in to BJU. The whole book is great but the chapter on BJU is just a scream.

-Kook

Kucerakov on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kucerakov wrote: »
    For more hilarity see the new york times magazine from, I think, early-mid November (zany new-earth fundie geologists) and Lies and the Lying liars who tell them by Al Franken. He visits BJU with a harvard intern posing as Mom's boyfriend and son trying to get in to BJU. The whole book is great but the chapter on BJU is just a scream.

The best part was the question regarding mixed race couples, and if Tiger Woods could be left by himself without a chaperon.

Doc on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought I remember that section of Liars ending with Franken kind of feeling bad and figuring that it was a free country, and if thats how people wanted to live their lives it was ok.

Neaden on