Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm already down 4 pounds in less than a week. how much of that is general weight fluctuation I don't know, but I like to think I have a pretty good handle on cutting. my goal is to be finished before august ends

4lbs right at the beginning is pretty standard from water weight.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't think I carry much water weight. I think I'll do weekly photo check, I find that until the camera comes out it's pretty difficult to track exactly how you are doing.

• Options
    4lbs would qualify as "not much water weight"

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm going this week to Colorado to do the Four Pass Loop/Maroon Bells.

Four days of backpacking in an area that's suppose to be one of the most photographed in the country, and which the trail is suppose to be rather challenging.

I'm so excited and also pretty dang nervous. Still, its yet another reminder of something I would have never done 10 years ago.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    When I first started there was a four pound difference from before I went to bed and weighing myself again the following morning.

Digestion, full bladder, etc I guess.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So while I'm enjoying the whole weight training thing(about a month in so far) I'm also trying to lose weight.

And the whole weight hovering around the same space is kind of annoying even though I've read its to be expected if you just started lifting.

• Options
    That's another reason why scale weight is a flawed metric.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    That's another reason why scale weight is a flawed metric.

Yeah much of my fat loss, especially in the last few months, has been fairly offset by muscle gains. I hover about the same 10 pounds range dipping that range by a pound or two here or there as I go along. I'll probably never hit my target BMI because I'd have to lose muscle to do so.

Sleep on
  • Options
    I really should start adding vegetables to my diet. Problem is the last time I tried I ended up having the runs more often than not, or at least more gas than I'd care to have. I get a bit paranoid to try again on account of that bit from The Simpsons where the family switched to vegetables.

I know that's an exaggeration, but my question is what are some essential vegetables that will also have a low chance of making me hit the bathroom too often?

• Options
    My understanding is that if your digestive system is adapted to not eating vegetables, it won't have the necessary gut bacteria etc to deal with them. To a certain extent, you'll have an adjustment period no matter what. It's a matter of days rather than weeks.

I like broccoli because you can buy it frozen and it's super easy to prepare in the microwave. It also doesn't have a really strong taste so it's hard to fuck up and make inedible.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    broccoli is like the best of the frozen veggies too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Broccoli goes really well with chicken, because chicken is pretty dry and the broccoli gives you something to mix it up with a little bit.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    How do you cook your chicken? I brine/marinade it a day ahead of time and it comes out pretty moist after baking it. Even chicken breasts are great. But yes broccoli is probably my favorite veggie.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Sauteed leafy greens are excellent and easy and super good for you also, that's your kale/mustard greens kinda stuff. Throw it in a frying pan with a little oil and some soy sauce, cook for a while, salt a little somewhere in there and eat. Doesn't wilt down into mush like spinach (although you can do that too), healthier for you, all around great. Make sure to cut out the tough center stalk when you do, that thing's basically inedible.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    How do you cook your chicken? I brine/marinade it a day ahead of time and it comes out pretty moist after baking it. Even chicken breasts are great. But yes broccoli is probably my favorite veggie.

I buy it diced and grill it for 12 minutes or so. I know I could make it taste better with brine or marinade by I also know the extent of my laziness. In those 12 minutes I can make 4 days worth of chicken that's pretty tolerable.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Frozen mixed veggies are my easy go-to. If your diet used to include nearly zero vegetables, take a little bit of time to incorporate them into meal plans, something like a quarter cup at a time. Easier to stick with if you can minimize a negative gut response.

• Options
    I don't like the texture of broccoli but I still eat it because it's... ugh... good for you

red bell peppers should be the most palatable since they're sweet

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I found broiled broccoli really changed my attitude towards it. I hated the steamed stuff, and can't be counted on to reliably cook it decently on the stove. But broiled, with a little ollive oile [fuck it, I like it like that, I'm leaving it], salt, and maybe grated parmesan? Fuckin' delish!
    I don't know that it's useful info in a fitness/weight loss sense, but it did help me adapt to enjoying broccoli more.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I don't like the texture of broccoli but I still eat it because it's... ugh... good for you

red bell peppers should be the most palatable since they're sweet

how do you cook it? besides, there's enough veggies out there that you really don't need to shackle yourself to something you hate

cauliflower is just as cruciferous, etc etc

• Options
    Broccoli goes really well with chicken, because chicken is pretty dry and the broccoli gives you something to mix it up with a little bit.

That could come on handy with substituting barbeque sauce (which is my go-to for de-drying chicken).

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    a large portion of my diet is just ground beef and roasted broccoli in a big bowl together

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I don't cook it, but I'll eat it if it comes with a dish or something. the only vegetable I explicitly will not eat in any form is squash

Jars on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

For my work week lunch, 99.9% of the time I stick to chicken breast. I get a 4-5lb bag (and sometimes, like this week, nearly 6lbs) of chicken breast from fresh direct. I dont brine or marinate it, I just take it out of the package and rinse it. Then I cover the breasts in a high heat oil (measured, each chicken breasts gets around 15ml of oil which is one serving) and then put on my seasoning.

If I am feeling lazy, I will use a premixed seasoning from fresh direct (their "Everything Rub" is pretty good), otherwise, I just do a simple mix of salt, pepper, garlic and whatever else I am feeling. For a while I was doing that KFC seasoning that was percolating around social media.

During the prep, the oven has been pre-heating to 450 degrees fahrenheit and once the ~20 minute timer goes off, I toss the chicken breast into a glass container and leave it in for about 30 minutes. When I pull it out and stick in the meat thermometer, the internal temp is usually at or slightly above 165 degrees.

Stays pretty moist and keeps well M-F.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Also I'll put a plug in for thighs and drumsticks. They're a little fattier but you can account for that in your overall calories; the benefits are they're 100% more forgiving to cook, stay moist regardless, and taste better. Plus they're hells of cheaper than breasts.

• Options

That could come on handy with substituting barbeque sauce (which is my go-to for de-drying chicken).

I'd try and get on to seasoning food rather than using sauces, those are normally pretty high in sugar.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Cajun seasoning has a ton of flavor and goes well with a lot of proteins.

Beyond the standard salt and pepper, my most prized spice is definitely garlic powder. That stuff is magic, I tell ya what.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning has a special place in my kitchen. Very few things that it doesn't work well on.

• Options
    Cajun seasoning has a ton of flavor and goes well with a lot of proteins.

Beyond the standard salt and pepper, my most prized spice is definitely garlic powder. That stuff is magic, I tell ya what.

I just looked it up, and if I ate two entire jars of this cajun seasoning every day it would only add 40g of carbs to my diet

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You'd shit wildfire though

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

I had a pizza with chilis on it the other day. I have a pretty high tolerance for spicy food. I woke up at 6am with my arsehole attempting to climb out of my body through my mouth. It's fucked up my sleep pattern for like the whole week.

This isn't relevant to anything we're talking about, I just wanted to share it.

• Options
    here's a thing I found on youtube: the world's strongest man has to eat 12,000 calories a day to continue being the world's strongest man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEJyjKTH9g

• Options
    I ate 4500 calories a day once and it was pretty much a full time job.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »

I had a pizza with chilis on it the other day. I have a pretty high tolerance for spicy food. I woke up at 6am with my arsehole attempting to climb out of my body through my mouth. It's fucked up my sleep pattern for like the whole week.

This isn't relevant to anything we're talking about, I just wanted to share it.

there's a poop thread right there, man

• Options
    edited August 2017
    That (12,000) is a weeks' worth of calories for me.

I can't even imagine.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    the most I ever did was around 5,000 doing triple swimming practices a day. "okay for breakfast I'm going to have about 7 bowls of cereal"

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Y'all need to go and order some Chupacabra seasoning online.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Cajun season is the best.

I haven't found a good store bought one I enjoy compared to the stuff they have at restaurants.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

I'd try and get on to seasoning food rather than using sauces, those are normally pretty high in sugar.

Knowing the above, do people have any good crockpot recipes / resources? Finally getting into using my Grandma's crockpotwe "inherited" and man it made some good pulled pork but it was like 90% sugar sauces in recipes we looked up (ketchup, BBQ sauce, teriyaki, etc.).

• Options
    Cajun season is the best.

I haven't found a good store bought one I enjoy compared to the stuff they have at restaurants.

Honestly I've never purchased it myself, but I never buy spice mixes. I prefer to just make my own mixes. Easier to use up, easier to tweak.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i really went off cajun seasoning after having it on chicken breasts pretty much every day

but it's still pretty amazing on any chicken with a bit of skin, and when you actually add some oil as well

This discussion has been closed.