Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'm vaguely surprised that Newfoundland isn't its own colour on every one of those. "Final T is pronounced" "Final T is silent" "Added a H for some reason"

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    If you have to pull it over your head, rather than zip it up, it's a bunnyhug. If you zip it up like a coat/jacket, then yeah, that's a hoodie.

To be fair (to be faaaaaiiiirrr), hoodie is pretty common for all of them now, too. There are still lots of us bunnyhug holdouts, though. :)

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Huh.

That study actually led me to research the Ottawa Valley dialect, and gave context as to why Americans think my Dad sounds vaguely Irish (and why I do when I'm talking to him).

It's made even weirder by how he doesn't add the i to words like barn (bairn) and pronounces most words the way generic Canadian English does, he just has the same cadence as the dialect and we have a tendency to drop t's and g's from a lot of things

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    No one ever has any idea what I'm talking about when I mentioned my old chalet.

Also, they have no idea what a combo is in relation to fast food.... They say meal deal.

And being from QC when I slip and call a mac's store a Dépanneur...

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've never heard the term bunnyhug before, which is odd, because I know people from Saskatchewan, and I've spent most of my life in southern Alberta. You'd think proximity would be a factor.

Well we can see them doing their thing over there, but the sound doesn't travel that far.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Also, they have no idea what a combo is in relation to fast food.... They say meal deal.

When I order breakfast from McDonald's, I always get combo number seven.

I don't think I've ever said 'meal deal'.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I was about ready to disagree with its suggestion that I've been pronouncing it Toronnoh this whole time, but uh, I guess well, Toronnoh it is.

Also, can confirm, they are definitely Camps.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I had a big argument with my friend from Ontario over the distinction between "soccer baseball" (wrong) and "kickball" (correct)

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I was made aware of regionale dialects years ago when a co-worker from Ottawa commented on how I enunciate all the syllables in the majority of the words I speak (Vancouver native who grew up around lots of ESL speakers), versus them slurring the syllables together more.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My Toronto elementary school definitely called it "soccer baseball" and I don't think I was ever positive that it was the same as kickball (though apparently it is). And I don't think I have ever said meal deal. Doesn't PQ call them "trio"?

And for some reason a chalet, to me, conjures a cabin up in the mountains. Oh yeah, and it's a cottage. Not a camp. Unless you are living in a trailer or a tent :P

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I literally have no idea what soccer baseball/kickball even is.

Streets were used for hockey in the winter, and street hockey in the summer.

Characters
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Soccer baseball is pretty much what it says on the tin - you play it on a baseball diamond, but instead of hitting a ball with a bat the pitcher rolls a soccer ball to a kicker. We played it at recess all the time in elementary school.

Kickball is what very wrong heathens call it.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Who plays with a soccerball? You need to use one of these:

kick-ball-psd105308.png

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    oh man... I can hear that metallic bounce sound. So many memories.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Living in quebec, grew up in alberta.
    I'd use cottage over chalet in most circumstances.

to me chalet is more of an extravagant/large and more public type of building than a cottage.
    Like, the building you go into at the end of a day of skiiing is a chalet, or a very rural hotel can be a chalet, but I wouldn't call a single family rural getaway building as a chalet.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    If someone told me they were spending the weekend at their family's chalet, I would probably assume their family is very wealthy.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Man my Candian English is muddled by living in BC for...far longer then I should have.

We called it California Kickball in BC. I actually broke a finger trying to catch one.

Hoodies were called kangaroo jackets in my household when I was very young and still living in AB.

Oh and I know Ontarians don't know what a 40-pounder or 60-pounder is.
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I've never heard the term bunnyhug before, which is odd, because I know people from Saskatchewan, and I've spent most of my life in southern Alberta. You'd think proximity would be a factor.

Well we can see them doing their thing over there, but the sound doesn't travel that far.

It's muffled by too much Vi-Co consumption.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    oops

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Man my Candian English is muddled by living in BC for...far longer then I should have.

We called it California Kickball in BC. I actually broke a finger trying to catch one.

Hoodies were called kangaroo jackets in my household when I was very young and still living in AB.

I don't know what a 40- or 60-pounder is and I live a lot closer to Alberta than Ontario. What are they? Seems like it might have to do with 40 and 66 oz bottles of liquor?

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    Who plays with a soccerball? You need to use one of these:

kick-ball-psd105308.png

That's a dodgeball

And also the maker of bad friction burns

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Combo!
    Everyone knows it's a combo. What the fuck is a meal deal.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

Soccer baseball is pretty much what it says on the tin - you play it on a baseball diamond, but instead of hitting a ball with a bat the pitcher rolls a soccer ball to a kicker. We played it at recess all the time in elementary school.

Kickball is what very wrong heathens call it.

Same, that's the game of my childhood school lunchtimes.

Except in Québec, we called it "ballon canadien" for some reason.

sig.gif
  • Options

Of all the weird things I had to adapt to in Thunder Bay, people calling a chalet a "camp" is pretty near the top of the list. If you're not in a tent, you're not at camp.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That's a dodgeball and it's definitely kickball or California kickball.

We definitely say cabin out here but our whole family says "the lake". "Goin' to the lake"

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I hope your family's cabin is on a lake, because otherwise that would make no sense. :)

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    derp derp wrong thread

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I hope your family's cabin is on a lake, because otherwise that would make no sense. :)

It is. But we also almost always go camping in tents near a lake. I don't think I've ever been camping in my life without a huge body of water nearby.

Hmm, maybe we are mer-people.

• Options
    So I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Military personnel in Proud Boys incident return to regular duty

At first I was appalled.
    Four of the five Canadian Forces personnel who said they were members of the group the Proud Boys and disrupted a Mi'kmaq ceremony in Halifax on July 1 have been allowed to return to their regular duties.

Rear-Admiral John Newton said following the military police's investigation no charges would be laid against the members, who served in both the army and navy.

He said one of the five members has since left the military of his own accord, a process that started before the Canada Day incident and was unrelated to it.

But then I was tempered.
    Newton said the four remaining members are now being monitored and are on probation, which they must pass to continue with the military.

He wouldn't spell out the exact disciplinary measures the members have faced but said they were removed from their workplaces and weren't allowed to handle classified material. He said they are experiencing professional setbacks and personal consequences in their units and the community.

None of the men received demotions or were moved as a result of the harassing behaviour. Newton said being on probation limits what they can accomplish professionally.

Speaking to reporters, Newton defended the military's actions, saying "this is not lightweight punishment. These non-commission members who are early in their career, have remorse."

"This is a permanent mark on a member's record," he said Thursday afternoon. "Any trespass against those conditions, any repeat leads to their release from the Canadian Armed Forces, or it's good potential depending on those circumstances, will lead to their release."

And then I kinda saw their point of view, I guess.
    Newton said he interviewed the men personally and "saw their acknowledgement, their desire, their intent to adhere to the conditions."

He also said the four are expected to learn from their "monumentally poor judgment."

"I don't have a huge surplus of people in the Canadian Armed Forces who we've already spent million of dollars training, who in their mistake and in this learning ... will work to restore the trust between them and the chain of command. They will be a good investment in the long term."

I mean, I hate these right-wing monsters and I feel they have no place in our military or our society. But if they are genuine in their remorse and their acknowledgement this was a mistake, then we shouldn't cast them out and isolate them since that will only accelerate their radicalization, we should help them grow and become better people while keeping our eyes open in case this is just a ruse. Which it sounds like exactly what the military is doing. And the utilitarian argument does hold water - if we spend millions of taxpayer money training the few volunteers we get and then cast them out the moment they make a (admittedly major) mistake, then we'll have a very expensive and understaffed military.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I hoped to have something a little tougher but I suppose it's fair if they judged the individuals showed genuine remorse and could turn the corner.

I am a fairly distrustful person though and my confidence that these guys are changed inside is 0. I guess it's good I'm not in charge there.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Of all the weird things I had to adapt to in Thunder Bay, people calling a chalet a "camp" is pretty near the top of the list. If you're not in a tent, you're not at camp.

Chalet just makes me think of ski hills and rich people.

I always broke it down like this:

Camp - no running water or electricity, smaller structure
    Cottage - running water and electricity, probably more on the fancy end

"Going camping" = you're probably heading to a park with a tent
    "Going to camp" = you're going out to your property on a lake somewhere

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    https://imgur.com/a/UUpJw#vDgjNcc

Air quality in Calgary is now worse than Beijing.

Feels like someone use a fine grit sandpaper on my eyeballs

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I was at the GnR concert last night and there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun was barely visible. I was sweating my ass off in semi darkness at 6pm.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    To me, a cottage is by the ocean or a large body of water, while a cabin is out in the woods (though both would typically be called a cottage in Nova Scotia).
    Also, definitely no second T in Toronto for me.
    Also, while they had NS down as calling it an electric bill, I feel like 99% of the time I hear people here call it a power bill (because the utility is Nova Scotia Power).

Definitely always really interesting to see these kinds of things.

• Options
    Hydro bills all the way.

Characters
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The sky was orange in Edmonton yesterday but all the smoke was up high so you couldn't even smell it. Probably not wise for people with respiratory issues to go out but other than the overcast it didn't feel different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

I don't know what a 40- or 60-pounder is and I live a lot closer to Alberta than Ontario. What are they? Seems like it might have to do with 40 and 66 oz bottles of liquor?

Ding ding, you're right. I think it's a prairie thing, but I've heard the term in parts of BC too.
    Richy wrote: »
    So I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Military personnel in Proud Boys incident return to regular duty

At first I was appalled.
    Four of the five Canadian Forces personnel who said they were members of the group the Proud Boys and disrupted a Mi'kmaq ceremony in Halifax on July 1 have been allowed to return to their regular duties.

Rear-Admiral John Newton said following the military police's investigation no charges would be laid against the members, who served in both the army and navy.

He said one of the five members has since left the military of his own accord, a process that started before the Canada Day incident and was unrelated to it.

But then I was tempered.
    Newton said the four remaining members are now being monitored and are on probation, which they must pass to continue with the military.

He wouldn't spell out the exact disciplinary measures the members have faced but said they were removed from their workplaces and weren't allowed to handle classified material. He said they are experiencing professional setbacks and personal consequences in their units and the community.

None of the men received demotions or were moved as a result of the harassing behaviour. Newton said being on probation limits what they can accomplish professionally.

Speaking to reporters, Newton defended the military's actions, saying "this is not lightweight punishment. These non-commission members who are early in their career, have remorse."

"This is a permanent mark on a member's record," he said Thursday afternoon. "Any trespass against those conditions, any repeat leads to their release from the Canadian Armed Forces, or it's good potential depending on those circumstances, will lead to their release."

And then I kinda saw their point of view, I guess.
    Newton said he interviewed the men personally and "saw their acknowledgement, their desire, their intent to adhere to the conditions."

He also said the four are expected to learn from their "monumentally poor judgment."

"I don't have a huge surplus of people in the Canadian Armed Forces who we've already spent million of dollars training, who in their mistake and in this learning ... will work to restore the trust between them and the chain of command. They will be a good investment in the long term."

I mean, I hate these right-wing monsters and I feel they have no place in our military or our society. But if they are genuine in their remorse and their acknowledgement this was a mistake, then we shouldn't cast them out and isolate them since that will only accelerate their radicalization, we should help them grow and become better people while keeping our eyes open in case this is just a ruse. Which it sounds like exactly what the military is doing. And the utilitarian argument does hold water - if we spend millions of taxpayer money training the few volunteers we get and then cast them out the moment they make a (admittedly major) mistake, then we'll have a very expensive and understaffed military.

Also they embarrassed the military in the public eye with their actions. They are in a world of PT pain from their CO.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The weirdest regional dialect I ever came across (and almost got in a fight over it)

Was when I was visiting Ontario from BC, and was trying to get 3.5 grams of weed, which every prior province I'd been to called an eighth.

After having a couple dealers say no they didn't have an eighth, one finally says
    "what's an eighth"

"It's 3.5 grams"

"Ohhhh you mean a 'half quarter'"

I wanted to burn the entire province down at that point

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Hydro bills all the way.

Breaking my fiance of this is entertaining. She's from Ontario, so obviously calls them all hydro poles and calls it a hydro bill. Really, they're just power poles and power bills, especially out here. They are for the power service/utility. We don't call them coal poles even though that's where most of our power comes from.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Thank goodness they also call them hydro bills in BC. Took me a while to figure out WTF everybody was talking about with the "hydro" when I moved up to Toronto from the US.

I will never, ever switch to pencil crayon, though. COLOUR PENCILS, I ADDED THE U, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

My in-laws actually still say "chesterfield." That one is pretty cute, but I think it's dying out.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    The weirdest regional dialect I ever came across (and almost got in a fight over it)

Was when I was visiting Ontario from BC, and was trying to get 3.5 grams of weed, which every prior province I'd been to called an eighth.

After having a couple dealers say no they didn't have an eighth, one finally says
    "what's an eighth"

"It's 3.5 grams"

"Ohhhh you mean a 'half quarter'"

I wanted to burn the entire province down at that point

That's criminal.
    But really... A half quarter?

Let it burn.

This discussion has been closed.