Options

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, that zone seriously needs a whistle and having it rep gated is some bullshit.

The reason why is to make it last longer
    We learned all about this in Pandaria before

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm actually super-OK with locking flying away behind exploring all the zones, hitting the level cap, and maybe even doing the main questline in each zone. While I'm questing and leveling, I'm experiencing the zones and stories, and I'm completely in favor of having that guided experience. All for it. However, once I hit the cap and finished the story, I am literally not playing a game anymore; I am doing boring, tedious chores for a chance at a chance of a marginal upgrade, or a shinier horse, or something equally non-essential that my dumb brain decided it wants. That's when I need the barriers to start coming down. I'm already irritated that I have to grind ten thousand snow moose or pick all of the flowers, and every second that separates me from the next moose flower is just going to make me more and more irritated.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm actually super-OK with locking flying away behind exploring all the zones, hitting the level cap, and maybe even doing the main questline in each zone. While I'm questing and leveling, I'm experiencing the zones and stories, and I'm completely in favor of having that guided experience. All for it. However, once I hit the cap and finished the story, I am literally not playing a game anymore; I am doing boring, tedious chores for a chance at a chance of a marginal upgrade, or a shinier horse, or something equally non-essential that my dumb brain decided it wants. That's when I need the barriers to start coming down. I'm already irritated that I have to grind ten thousand snow moose or pick all of the flowers, and every second that separates me from the next moose flower is just going to make me more and more irritated.

Yeah this is my feeling. I just don't have time for tedious time-wastey crap anymore so I find it infinitely less tolerable. No reason to restrict it once you hit level cap. But I can understand exceptions made for new content areas like Argus, so long as those aren't super tedious to navigate on land.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Don't know if anyone else is doing this, but I set my hearthstone to the Vindicaar. If I need to get out, that means I have both it and the Dalaran hearthstone (which basically plops you by the beacon back to the Vindicaar).

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yup bind to vindicaar. There is a direct port from there to dalaran so no point to stay bound in dalaran and its a lot faster to get to that portal in vindecar than it is to run from the inn in dalaran to the teleporter to vindicaar.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »
    I don't think flying is possible in Argus. The way the zone is built didn't account for it. Might be possible to put a big invisible barrier around the entire zone so you don't break the skybox. Was really the only way we could make that playspace seem like an entire planet without having to build an entire planet. lots of matte painting and trickery used.

edit: actually we could possible extend the existing zone barrier up to the flight limit, but that would break a lot of the facades we are using.

Given how the background stuff is done I assume that is correct. Unless you are going to do a ton of invisibile walls which blizzard thankfully does not like to do most of what you are seeing in the distance is basically a painting and not actual land.

• Options
    Fatigue basically functions as an invisible wall. That's an accepted and understood part of the game - you can't fly from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms, for example - so I feel like it could be dropped into Argus as well. It might require some re-jiggering of the underlying terrain, and they might need to add some visual justification of why you can't land in the fatigue-zone (fissures, fel lava, something along those lines), but if we accept fatigue when flying from one peninsula in Pandaria to an adjacent one, I don't see why we wouldn't accept it on Argus.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Man, my normal hearth is still bound to the Pandaria home city (for world bosses and the portals right there).

I never bothered setting it to Dal because the Dal hearth drops you right near the Horde city section.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Fatigue basically functions as an invisible wall. That's an accepted and understood part of the game - you can't fly from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms, for example - so I feel like it could be dropped into Argus as well. It might require some re-jiggering of the underlying terrain, and they might need to add some visual justification of why you can't land in the fatigue-zone (fissures, fel lava, something along those lines), but if we accept fatigue when flying from one peninsula in Pandaria to an adjacent one, I don't see why we wouldn't accept it on Argus.
    I don't think fatigue will kill fast enough for things not to look broken. It's like if you manage to get few feet off you'll start to see the billboards. We built the place without flying in mind. Also everyone who could put in the work is already booked doing other stuff. Unless this stuff was planned months in advance to implement the changes, there is no more time to do anything.

Art team had been pushing hard to get 7.3 out on time so that we can keep on schedule to prevent content drought. We've been hiring like crazy but time is finite. And also physical space to put people. It's kind of nuts that we've run into this limit. We kicked out the Heroes team to across the street and basically take up the entire building now. We went from 115 people from when I first joined to like 225 now. Art team ballooned from 50 in Pandaria to over 100 now. So it's like literally the difference between you want the next expansion within a reasonable time? Or do you want flying on Argus?

• Options
    edited September 2017

This assumes Argus was designed that way. It's pretty clearly not. I could tell the second I arrived a bunch of it was just a big matte painting background. They'd have to redesign all the out of bounds stuff which won't happen.

Really, there is nothing to be done, but I do hope there's something of a lesson learned coming out of it for the future maybe. Also the flight whistle should have just worked. It's dumb that you need a new one that is rep locked.

BTW, saw this on Reddit today. This is the kind of thing where I dislike no flying:
    fXtUTje.png

In general, I wish you could at least always fly in ghost form. Too many instances where you literally cannot get back to your body.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So it's like literally the difference between you want the next expansion within a reasonable time? Or do you want flying on Argus?
    Honestly? Me, personally? ::whispers in a dark and empty room:: (I'd actually prefer flying now and a delayed expansion because there's so many games to play, and a WoW expansion makes me feel like I have to drop everything and level so that I don't miss the zeitgeist.)

But, no, I get what you mean. Honestly, I'm not suggesting that you folks should go back and re-design Argus or anything - I know that that's not in any way feasible.

• Options
    I died dropping off the world and had to take rez sickness. It wasn't the best thing. We can definitely hotfix things like putting in more graveyards. I can pass that feedback along. Most of us read reddit and are aware of what is happening.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man prox the information you bring is cool but I'm almost afraid you might be saying too much. Just be careful.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I died dropping off the world and had to take rez sickness. It wasn't the best thing. We can definitely hotfix things like putting in more graveyards. I can pass that feedback along. Most of us read reddit and are aware of what is happening.

Rez sickness is bad and it should go away. Or, keep the durability hit to disincentivize doing it all the time, but get rid of the 10 minute 'you can't do anything' tax

Javen on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Rez sickness (and the corpse-running associated with it) and Daze/dismount both feel like ancient dinosaurs of mechanics that just exist for the sake of existing at this point. I'd love to see Blizzard just take them out of the game.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Man prox the information you bring is cool but I'm almost afraid you might be saying too much. Just be careful.

Yeah I kind of worry about that a little bit. But I don't think the stuff I'm saying is anything secret. Just some developer insight into what is going on. A lot of the stuff I'm saying has been said in places here and there via blue posts. Man though, I didn't expect that flying discussion to get so heated between devs and the community.

• Options
    I can understand reluctance from the devs not to cite 'we didn't have the time' as a reason, even if that IS the reason, since after they do that, everytime they release some new pet battles or a new mount in the shop, it instantly becomes 'well you had time to do THIS' but not the thing that I wanted!'

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    I can understand reluctance from the devs not to cite 'we didn't have the time' as a reason, even if that IS the reason, since after they do that, everytime they release some new pet battles or a new mount in the shop, it instantly becomes 'well you had time to do THIS' but not the thing that I wanted!'

Honestly I always see that as a pretty valid reason, but then I know there are a bunch of people out there that will conflate all the different teams together just like that ("How dare you make this new model instead of fixing this bug!!!" :P).

Personally though I don't typically expect things I don't like to be changed, but just hope some lessons are learned for the next time :3

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Mainly, I just want designers to think very long and very hard about the amount of time they're taking away from players, and the purpose that serves. If I'm being forced to run for a minute from the flight point to the world quest with nothing interesting happening, is that happening because this will create the most fun and engaging experience for me, or is it because statistics have determined that players need to stay logged in for at least 43 minutes each day in order for them to not cancel their subscription?

I'm going to tell you a shameful, shameful secret: I am literally never going to cancel my subscription. I've been playing this game for more than a decade. I'm too invested, I love it the way you love that bookshelf from the room you grew up in: no particular emotion towards it day-to-day, but when it's missing you feel a deep ache in your bones. I have memories of fake places from this game as vivid and genuine as real-life memories: running across half the Barrens over and over to get that dumb Samophlange because I had no idea how to play and kept dying; finally making it to the top of Jintha'Alor and having to stop because my first guild picked that moment to disintegrate over Vent; fighting on the bridge in Alterac Valley because everyone knows that the general is just a red herring, the real way to win is to die over and over on that bridge.

The time I spend in this game doesn't need to be artificially inflated because I am never going away.

• Options
    Yeah, I second this: I really appreciate the insight you're giving us, but also am in favor of you erring on the side of making sure your job isn't endangered!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Javen wrote: »

Yea, and those things were planned months in advance way before anyone outside of the company even knew an expansion was coming out. So think of any kind of feedback or change that would require extensive work, and give it like a 4 month time period to get fixed with the next patch cycle. We're on a schedule! This is how everyone gets to go home to see their families and we don't get another content drought. It used to be people were very cavalier about crunch time but overtime has diminishing returns and there will be a cost down the road in terms of employee health.

edit: Thanks for the concern everyone. I don't think I'm saying anything risky. Also anything I say is my own opinion and not one of Blizzard Entertainment. I had to take a social media class, and they basically said that if I were talking about WoW, I had to reveal that I worked on the game.

PROX on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah I kind of worry about that a little bit. But I don't think the stuff I'm saying is anything secret. Just some developer insight into what is going on. A lot of the stuff I'm saying has been said in places here and there via blue posts. Man though, I didn't expect that flying discussion to get so heated between devs and the community.

I'm not really been surprised - it's been such a major point of contention ever since no-flying was announced for Warlords. Blizzard has specific ideas about when it's good vs. when it's detrimental, and in general I think they're correct (although, sorry, gating the Flight Master's Whistle upgrade behind Revered for an area that is chock full of mobs and a bit tricky to navigate was one of my least favorite things y'all have ever done :P). The community, though, wants and expects flying in every area as soon as they hit max level, so the clash is probably inevitable.

That being said, while I do agree with the reasoning that the added areas never have flying (Throne of Thunder, Quel'Danas, etc) and it's appropriate for Argus not to, the mob density and placement on Argus is like nothing else in the game. Even when traveling on a path you're basically guaranteed to aggro a bunch of stuff.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's hard to know what to accept as truth when devs have literally said in the recent past that [Feature X] would cost a raid tier. I get that dev time is finite, but those responses don't do any good for anyone.

Considering the amount of "3D-ification" that happened in Cata, why are non-3D assets even an option anymore? Why is everything >Cata not built with eventual flight in mind? Someone needs to be making these decisions at the 10,000 ft level

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It's hard to know what to accept as truth when devs have literally said in the recent past that [Feature X] would cost a raid tier. I get that dev time is finite, but those responses don't do any good for anyone.

Considering the amount of "3D-ification" that happened in Cata, why are non-3D assets even an option anymore? Why is everything >Cata not built with eventual flight in mind? Someone needs to be making these decisions at the 10,000 ft level

Usually this decision is based on bandwidth and time. it takes much less time to build a flightless zone then one where flight needs to be taken into consideration, though art does intrinsically build things flight safe, just not as thoroughly if flight wasn't planned. In addition Argus was a special case wherein building an entire planet was infeasible, so we used these massive matte paintings and skyboxes to make it look like you were on another world without having to build an entire world. We had to make 3 zones, and making all those flight zones would push us out way beyond schedule. But we still want to get players to Argus and we wanted to do something cool for the end of game.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Has there been any look at how flying roll-out is handled in FFXIV (both the Heavensward and Stormblood expansions)? I've enjoyed how the first time through for the story I am ground-bound, but in the process of completing the story and a bit of scavenger hunt traveling to encourage me to completely explore the zone on the ground I attune with "aether air currents" which allow me to fly safely in the zone. Essentially, as soon as I am done with the story in the zone, I can now fly to go back for other content and since my character can be all classes, it helps with alts traveling around the zone. This is helped by FFXIV having more discrete zones, but seems like it could be implemented in WoW at the continent level fairly seamlessly.

That said, the way that FFXIV zones work also help constrain the expectations around flying and allows the use of matte paintings, since you will run into an invisible wall (transparent hexagon collision graphic shown when you are up against an invisible zone wall). Unlike WoW, the zones are not continuous and there are lots of places in the game where you can see something, but not necessarily be able to travel there (Dravanian Hinterlands is a good example, with the river delta and forest shown below the highlands).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

huh that's funny I died falling off the world in argus and it moved my corpse up onto the ledge where I had last been standing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

huh that's funny I died falling off the world in argus and it moved my corpse up onto the ledge where I had last been standing

I hadn't tried that...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I wasn't actually expecting it to, I thought I would have to spirit healer rez, but I went and checked just to make sure and sure enough it teleported my body back up.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I had to take a social media class, and they basically said that if I were talking about WoW, I had to reveal that I worked on the game.

That must be new then, because i knew someone i played with back in vanilla that worked for blizz and he hid it until i ran into him in i think gw2 years later. Of course that could have changed drastically.

The part i mostly thought was a bit much was the strong implication that the next course off action after argus was work on the next expansion. I could be wrong but i thought there was no sure confirmation given officially that there was nothing else after. But yeah, don't answer that because it was likely more me inferring than anything.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I think the worst experience I've had of dying in Argus was when I was killed by that stupid spaceship while piloting the lightforged thingy for that world quest in the Antoran Wastes. My corpse ended up on top of...something, and I couldn't reach it. So I ended up taking rez sickness, only for that same spaceship to keep murdering me.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I had one instance where I fell down a ridge, didn't even die, but there seemed to literally be no way off (I think this was right behind the main teleporter base area in the bottom left zone). Had to jump in the nearby pit to kill myself, then corpse run back to above where I fell down to rez (which was kind of an annoying run around a bunch of stuff). :/

To be honest tho, the mob density thing hasn't bothered me so much. But then I am a rogue who doesn't care about aggroing shit because I can vanish it away :P

Edit: Speaking of the war mech things, wonder if they've hotfixed those yet. I know half the time they are not clickable. I missed out on a world quest because of it :/ By the time I thought to server hop to find a working one, after the flight over to the area the world quest just expired in the middle of it :/

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    The Paraxis is weird. "Okay everyone go afk for awhile now."

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    The Paraxis is weird. "Okay everyone go afk for awhile now."

It's something where the idea is pretty cool, but yeah...something was lost in translation from concept to execution.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mainly, I just want designers to think very long and very hard about the amount of time they're taking away from players, and the purpose that serves. If I'm being forced to run for a minute from the flight point to the world quest with nothing interesting happening, is that happening because this will create the most fun and engaging experience for me, or is it because statistics have determined that players need to stay logged in for at least 43 minutes each day in order for them to not cancel their subscription?

I'm going to tell you a shameful, shameful secret: I am literally never going to cancel my subscription. I've been playing this game for more than a decade. I'm too invested, I love it the way you love that bookshelf from the room you grew up in: no particular emotion towards it day-to-day, but when it's missing you feel a deep ache in your bones. I have memories of fake places from this game as vivid and genuine as real-life memories: running across half the Barrens over and over to get that dumb Samophlange because I had no idea how to play and kept dying; finally making it to the top of Jintha'Alor and having to stop because my first guild picked that moment to disintegrate over Vent; fighting on the bridge in Alterac Valley because everyone knows that the general is just a red herring, the real way to win is to die over and over on that bridge.

The time I spend in this game doesn't need to be artificially inflated because I am never going away.

I've only cancelled my subscription once, and that was for a short period after Dragon Soul where I just lost all interest in the game. Even considering the usual Blizzard habit of Final Tier->Next Expansion extended dead periods, Dragon Soul was particularly awful because it was amplified by how terrible and lazy Dragon Soul was.

Incidentally that was all it took to completely disqualify me from that stupidass statue they suddenly sent to people a few years later for being long-time subscribers. I'm still a bit bitter about that in principle even if I don't really care whether I actually have the statue.

Since I can now largely keep my subscription up via wow tokens however, I really don't have a particular worry about whether I want to cancel my subscription - it just happens to be kept up as a matter of course. Even with things like pvp balance being some of the worst it has ever been(particularly for ranged), class design rotating around "let's put important class fixes on items rather than on the class", the least friendly expansion towards multiple specializations to date, and one of the least communicative dev teams the game has ever had in its history with regard to class design, it's still not enough incentive for me to outright cancel my sub even though I know they're technically making even more money off of my subscription than they ever were before, because they're actually making $20 off of every token I buy from someone else rather than me directly giving Blizzard $15 instead.

...Fuck Legion looks like a mess when I bullet it down like that.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Man, my normal hearth is still bound to the Pandaria home city (for world bosses and the portals right there).

I never bothered setting it to Dal because the Dal hearth drops you right near the Horde city section.

There's a Vale portal in Dalaran, so by setting your normal hearth to Dalaran too, you get all the benefits of a Shrine hearth and the extra benefit of a second Dalaran hearthstone, if you need it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yea, and those things were planned months in advance way before anyone outside of the company even knew an expansion was coming out. So think of any kind of feedback or change that would require extensive work, and give it like a 4 month time period to get fixed with the next patch cycle. We're on a schedule!

I think lack of understanding of the inertia involved in game development for a large project, and the resulting lead time for any feature, is something gaming communities in general really struggle with.

Even if a dev sees a suggestion, smacks his head and thinks "damn, why didn't we think of that", unless it's a simple hotfix to revert something, you're looking at months just to find time for it in the schedule, even if it's only a small task overall.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    because they're actually making $20 off of every token I buy from someone else rather than me directly giving Blizzard $15 instead.

I have had more than one argument with people who do not understand that this is how it works. One guy was adamant that Token subscriptions were inflating the economy by creating all this new gold.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I thought that the paraxis would just like, drop stuff on the ground that you had to dodge

nope.jpg

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    because they're actually making $20 off of every token I buy from someone else rather than me directly giving Blizzard $15 instead.

I have had more than one argument with people who do not understand that this is how it works. One guy was adamant that Token subscriptions were inflating the economy by creating all this new gold.

that's like, the least sensible interpretation

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

that's like, the least sensible interpretation

Not even an interpretation, it's just straight up wrong, the gold you get comes from other players. There's a little bit of massaging and extra gold created because sell price is fixed when you list the token but the buy price depends on the time at which someone buys it, but that's on the order of a couple thousand gold per token, nothing significant.

This discussion has been closed.