As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Fenrir is so hard, why is ice such a shitty element.

Ugh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    lol, and as soon as I post that pic I try another run and he wipes me on two back to back runs. Okay. Paralyze the Ultra Cure holder first run which fucks up healing and mitigation down the line. Second run he just does Savage Blaze back to back before I can get any healing in and that's autodeath.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    @cursedking Are you having trouble doing damage, or surviving? If you are having trouble surviving, how long do you last? They all go into berserk mode after a while.

Doing damage and also surviving until I can generally get my sb guages up to enact any sort of real damage, basically.

What kind of setups are you running? If you aren't surviving make sure you have mitigation up asap, as said above debuffs don't do much on them, you want the RW wall, and make sure you refresh it as it is ending, 30 secs after you cast it on the clock. You want Protect for Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Water, and Shell for Earth Lightning, Water. Bring instant KO resist for Fire.

If you don't have a strong elemental team with imperils, go for non-elemental. Physical might be easier than magic to get going, even with 2-3 magic buffs and weakness I couldn't get magic to do much.

Ninja magic on the other hand pierces their resistance and does great damage to all of them.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    My default for pretty simple, headache-free 50sec clears (albeit with two extremely good utility healer BSBs) is:

enOSB dude
    Deuce (BSB)
    Iris (BSB/LMR)
    Tyro (Wrath Entrust)
    Ramza (Shout) (Wrath Entrust)

Ramza Shouts, wraths once, entrusts, and then wraths until he can Shout again, which is generally perfect timing. Iris uses Fabula. Deuce has the other starting Dr Mog, but holds it until the DPS is ready to get going.

I use that for Fenrir (Squall enIce SB and OSB), Sealion (Sephiroth enFire and OSB), Golem (Cloud USB + BSB2), and virtually the same for Bismarck (TG Cid OSB w/Eiko subbing in for Iris (BSB) for the added damage).

Liquid puts out a lot less damage other than in disgustingly painful spikes, and I didn't have any enWater until picking up Bartz's BSB2 (and haven't run it since then), so I used:
    Tidus (OSB)
    Cloud (USB)
    Deuce
    Tyro
    Ramza

Same general strategy, but relying on Enkidu or Ultra Cure from Deuce to handle any paralyzes that may come, and to be the second medica for unpleasant burst damage. All entrusting meter goes to Tidus. Cloud Omega Drives after getting his USB online for around 30k a go, occasionally double cast (fully legend dived).

Hydra is relatively similar, but since Bartz can put out respectable damage after his USB, I use a stronger healer, and move the secondary boostga to be packaged with an imperil earth:
    Cloud (USB)
    Bartz (USB)
    Y'shtola (BSB)
    Dorgann (BSB)
    Ramza

Ramza does his initial mini entrust to Bartz to get his fast-cast online, although I do slow roll it a little so that Dorgann can get as many imperils as possible (just Bartz, not Cloud). Ramza usually does his second entrust to Y'shtola just because the incoming damage is nasty enough, but I've also given it to Bartz since Hydra's AoE generates a shitload more meter than Liquid, even with Y'sh's bubbles. I'm pretty sure if I legend dived her, the damage would be a lot less scary overall, but it's generally manageable.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: Β»
    lol, and as soon as I post that pic I try another run and he wipes me on two back to back runs. Okay. Paralyze the Ultra Cure holder first run which fucks up healing and mitigation down the line. Second run he just does Savage Blaze back to back before I can get any healing in and that's autodeath.

Are you running Instant KO resist? Blaze was usually a free turn for me.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Death Resist and Bismarck Magicite do a lot to blunt his damage.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

I have 3 Mediums on. 2 people will autodie to Savage Blaze back to back. With bad rolls I might lose another since it's base 303%, Medium takes that down to 30%+3%.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "Boss can't be attacked while his minion is spawned!"

*gormless AI on auto-battle keeps trying to hit the boss instead of the minion*

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Apparently I was getting too overconfident in my runs of Fenrir, and he decided to make things interesting by slowing three characters through Affliction Break. Still managed to pull out a sub-minute kill, but only barely, and thanks to some clutch dualcasts.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

I have 3 Mediums on. 2 people will autodie to Savage Blaze back to back. With bad rolls I might lose another since it's base 303%, Medium takes that down to 30%+3%.

Do you have Wrath on Ramza? Try Lifesiphon instead. That way one rotation of your party deals three hits and switches Liquid Flame to the next form. If you get him rotating that quickly, you will see fewer Savage Firagas and Savage Blazes, at least before he gets down to sub-40% HP.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I think I'm alone in that I find the elemental damage more dangerous than the status effects, since I usually use one healer plus last stand, so I roll with full elemental resist accessories for all magicite fights.

• Options
    I do for most. It's just that Liquid Flame has like 1 or 2 elemental attacks, and a bunch of gravity attacks.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: Β»
    I do for most. It's just that Liquid Flame has like 1 or 2 elemental attacks, and a bunch of gravity attacks.
    Yeah, but those one or two elemental attacks are the ones that kill you. Blocking a bunch of blazes while Vanille twiddles her thumbs in the corner only to die to double fire AoE anyway doesn't sound that useful to me.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Well, the fire AOEs are infrequent and mostly used by tornado form, in-between self heals. So I summon Bismarck for an anti-fire barrier when he first swaps to tornado.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Took several runs, but I 3-CM'd the torment.
    Zack: Aeroga Strike - Lucky Stars/Shared Shellga - Thunder God's Might
    Yuffie: Heathen Frolic Sarabande - Clear Tranquil - AutoHaste
    Aeris: Curaja/Haste - Seal Evil / AoE Heal/Reraise - AutoHaste
    Zidane: didn't use abilities - Storm Impulse - Truthseeker
    Faris: Full Break - AoE Imperil Wind - Atk/Def/Haste
    RW: UCloud, obvs.

Zidane hung out while the setup occured, while Aeris hasted him. Zack dropped shell and Yuffie broke magic for defenses. Faris popped the RW

Zack dropped the wind chain, Zidane summoned the RW, Aeris popped Seal Evil for mitigation and medals, then went on permanent heal duty, backed up by Yuffie who saved my bacon repeatedly.

Faris stacked up three imperils, and Zidane hit Storm Impulse three times. Zack plinked away with aeroga strike, and the other two kept everyone alive healed.

The timing was a trick, and in all the runs i did I never got Seal Evil to silence both flames, but I wrapped it up with one medal lost to damage.

Now to go back to dragon slaying.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: Β»
    also there's a 1* staff with wind boost, lol. Scenario where that is worth equipping left as an exercise to the reader.

Decided to take a look at this today and do some maths. Looking specifically at Alphinaud's burst, I could find no scenarios where a 1+++ Cherry Staff (16 MAG, wind boost) outperforms a weapon with 170 MAG (pretty much any random 6* weapon). It's not even close. More interestingly, the random 6* weapon also has a pretty significant edge over Air Knives XIV (71 MAG, wind boost) in all scenarios, by about 33% below the MAG softcap and 20% above MAG softcap. Even the mighty Shear Feather VIII (129 MAG, wind boost) only outperforms the 6* stick when you're above the MAG softcap, typically requiring three stacking MAG buffs, and then only by 6-8% (depending on whether you have wind boost armor or not).

1* Cherry Staff could be useful for Tyro/Onion using Raging Storm in a party with a bunch of MAG buffs, but that is about the extent of it.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    good luck with edge tonight, those that are pulling

• Options
    I'm going to 100 gem his usb and bsb. somehow.

(actually I'd prefer rosa's bow rngesus. you owe me after that lucky draw)

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    this is the one relic i've decided im going to pull until i get it so guess how many pounds that will take

(i do have 200 mythril saved, may god have mercy on my bank account)

(ps i have a full time job and very few outgoings with zero debt so my whaling, while shameful, is not going to cripple me)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    2 more Liquid Flame Kills, 1 more Salamander...wait, what? Oh, a 2nd Liquid Flame. Mom Bombs just don't exist.

Also, yea, Faris just does more damage than Yda hitting 9999 Piercing Strikes (which she does immediately after Shout). Faris hits 15k minimum Sapphire Shots and her BSB & USB are 20k each which just pushes her over, since Yda's BSB barely breaks 10k. She might be decent on Sealion, since she'd be hitting weakness then.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Trying to compare the IV and VI banners I think I might ignore VI and pull IV.
    Reasons:
    Both have ninja USBs, but Rosa USB is 100% more useful for magicite
    Edge seems like he has the better LMR
    Umaro SSB looks bad and Setzer's are fairly meh as well (also dupes). SSB for IV are imperil Fire, Eblan Doppleganger potato magic buff and a bad endark for golbez

-Recently pulled VI way too many times.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Trying to compare the IV and VI banners I think I might ignore VI and pull IV.
    Reasons:
    Both have ninja USBs, but Rosa USB is 100% more useful for magicite
    Edge seems like he has the better LMR
    Umaro SSB looks bad and Setzer's are fairly meh as well (also dupes). SSB for IV are imperil Fire, Eblan Doppleganger potato magic buff and a bad endark for golbez

-Recently pulled VI way too many times.

Heh, I'm apparently your evil twin because I was just thinking that I hadn't pulled on a VI banner in a while and that Shadow (for me) is the better unit.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I want to pull on both, but chasing a USB might leave me empty on resources. Both USBs on both banners would be top prizes, though FFIV requires Edge's LMR to really make the engine run.

There are also way better prizes on the IV banner than VI overall, in Rubicante's +fire weapon and armor, and Pecil's BSB2.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    If I pull on either without using money, it may be VI. I'm just out of mythril, and Bartz recently became Water King on my account, thanks to Legend Dive and his USB existing in the RW-verse. Meanwhile, I ain't got a whole helluva lot for Dark.

• Options
    In case you just didn't know what to do with all your Ice/Wind/Dark orbs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFx3A-HdQjo

• Options
    OTOH, the SSB bottom of the VI banner is pretty bad. The old stuff is all dupes, and Green Cherry is some gimmicky shit that would probably lose to Meteor Rage in my team building.

What I really wish I had is thr 50 mythril I wasted on my third Ultrabartz pull.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I should really save but between IV and VI, I'll pull on IV.

Also dear Fenrir, please stop dropping Fenrir. This is getting silly already!

• Options
    I should really save but between IV and VI, I'll pull on IV.

Also dear Fenrir, please stop dropping Fenrir. This is getting silly already!
    You need to work through his after-images before you can do anything else.

• Options
    I want to pull on both, but chasing a USB might leave me empty on resources. Both USBs on both banners would be top prizes, though FFIV requires Edge's LMR to really make the engine run.

There are also way better prizes on the IV banner than VI overall, in Rubicante's +fire weapon and armor, and Pecil's BSB2.

There is a skill coming that adds p blink I'm pretty sure so you don't need the lmr.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Would you use Blink if it got made as a White Magic skill?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Maybe if the fight was physical only? Great spells are horribly devalued by only having two slots.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options

There is a skill coming that adds p blink I'm pretty sure so you don't need the lmr.

The ninja skill that gives it? Edge with his LMR means he has a 25% chance to get a physical blink stack after using a ninja skill, which with his LM2 to doublecast ninja means it activates very frequently. It's much better to run that LMR to maintain the blink for extra hits on Raging Waters/his USB chaser. Especially when that second ability slot can be used to hold another Ninja skill or (an eventually upgraded) Stitch in Time.

• Options
    edge with his usb active and lmr can basically be assumed to have constant max stacks of pblink which fuel additional hits from his water seals

it's a very very silly amount of fast consistent damage

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I ought to be saving for the fest.

On the other, I don't really have IV coverage in any way. So a gem n' pull should be fine.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Here's an overview of the magicite inheritance and stat leveling. Of note is that the cap on bonus stats is really low. Even completely maxed out on all five, you're only looking at gaining like 20-30 more points. You could approach ~100 if you overstack in one boon type with all 4*s, but eh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ9ZLNKzu2s

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That Savage Golem kill was the dumbest thing I have seen in a while. Super fast kill with only one soul break being used, and oh so many orbs invested.

As for IV and VI, I simply can't justify pulls on banners that have, at best, 2 items I want. So I'll have to pass on ultimate ninja power unfortunately. No pulls until the festival countdown, and even then I'm probably skipping the healer burst banner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was going to pull on this banner, but since I got chicken knife my water needs are pretty well covered for the moment.

Bartz + Engulfing Twinstrike with Rikku providing imperil polished liquid flame off without too much trouble once I stopped getting paralyzed over and over.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I had an Imperil water. Why do both the active 3* Water Magicite have to go for "defend against fire" effects, darn it?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Not touching either. My ninjas are garbage, so I don't make or hone ninja abilities, so that chains into itself. The only ninja things I have are Lion's two non-USB things, and I use her as an off-support, not anything even approaching a ninja, and Edge's SSB2. My FF6 synergy is spectacular. My FF4 synergy is only decent, but well-synergized with itself (Edward's BSB, PCecil's BSB, Edge's SSB2), so I shouldn't have any issues with the dumbass dolls, or with the Torment that's weak to holy. It's missing a medica, but Enkidu, so also not a big deal.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Question about buff timers. If Ramza is using Full Break and Wrath, plus Dr Mog's Teachings, is it possible for him to get Shout, Full Break, and History's Truth active and maintained at the same time, without Legend diving for Beoulve Spirit?

This discussion has been closed.