Options

[Bad Food Thread] How To Cook Durian For Forty Humans

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    In my neck of the woods, Popeyes far outshines KFC. Also they have red beans which are phenomenal, and if you can find one that does onion rings those don't disappoint. Also their mash and gravy is quite tasty.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've heard tell of a place called Bojangles and I really wanna try it.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Back home in Michigan there was a Popeyes on the way between the floor coverings shop my dad worked out of and our house. A lot of the time my dad would come home from a random job site somewhere around our county, but sometimes he'd end his day up at the shop and would grab Popeyes on the way home. I came to think of Popeyes as a special treat.

Now I have a Popeyes within walking distance of my apartment and I don't know what to do with it. It's probably good that my brain still thinks of it as a special food or I'd be eating far too much fried chicken.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This pizza place in Shenzhen - this really amazing pizza place in Shenzhen - does a pizza with garlic-eggplant spread, feta, sun-dried tomatoes and Sichuan braised slices of lamb.

It's unbelievably good.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Ak7wEob.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I just ordered a pizza topped with the standard gyro fillings. I am so excited.

Is that not a normal thing outside of Pittsburgh?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Ak7wEob.png

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Creamy coleslaw with hot sauce mixed in. Used to top pulled pork for sandwiches.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Coleslaw tastes like mayonnaise and mistakes

• Options
    Ak7wEob.png

It's true if you subtract the butter. There's a handful of things that check off the important boxes for 'can I survive on just this?' and I think potatoes and coconuts are the easiest single item sustainable diets.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i like making coleslaw without mayonnaise. There's a nice dressing I make with chili and lime juice and a few other things

it's probably technically just more of a "slaw" at that point, but I despise language so

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm pretty sure UK KFC has gravy but I am unsure about the availability of mash

Edit: Just googled it, nope no mash. sides are
    • gravy
    • fries
    • beans (I think bbq?)
    • coleslaw
    • 2 sizes of corn on the cob (regular and large)

I guess we're well into corn on the cob then?

Karl on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love coleslaw, even the budget stuff. Big fan of mayo and of crunchy textures so as long as it has those things I'm happy. Put some apple in there and I'm delighted.

• Options
    We will make smof a coleslaw made of mayonnaise, snail shells and apple seeds.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'd try it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Ak7wEob.png

It's true if you subtract the butter. There's a handful of things that check off the important boxes for 'can I survive on just this?' and I think potatoes and coconuts are the easiest single item sustainable diets.

Conscious-Movie-Reviews-The-Martian-Space-Farming_2.jpg

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Ak7wEob.png

Conscious-Movie-Reviews-The-Martian-Space-Farming_2.jpg

My favorite documentary!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ak7wEob.png

Pretty sure you’re gonna want the small amounts of protein and fat in that butter.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ak7wEob.png
    [/img]

Here is a rare picture of Pinfeldorf

TVKTIcM.jpg

• Options
    i remember learning something about how some of the cheapest things to eat that'll give you all the micro and macro nutrients you need are eggs and bananas. But that was also in the context of poverty in India, so it might not be quite so applicable everywhere.

• Options
    Bananas are also the best fruit.

I will be sad when the Cavendish is extinct.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i remember learning something about how some of the cheapest things to eat that'll give you all the micro and macro nutrients you need are eggs and bananas. But that was also in the context of poverty in India, so it might not be quite so applicable everywhere.

Make it eggs and plantains and you got yourself a deal!

• Options
    I really wish I liked eggs more.

They are just flavorless mass of slippery blandness though.

Except the yolk, which makes for good toast dipping.

• Options
    although, one of the things is that you don't need to eat the eggs and bananas at the same time if you don't want to

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Ak7wEob.png

Pretty sure you’re gonna want the small amounts of protein and fat in that butter.

You'll also want to make sure to eat the skin.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That's even worse than the pumpkin spice Twinkies.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've heard tell of a place called Bojangles and I really wanna try it.

I have to restrain myself from eating there twice a week, and it doesn't always work.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    No D&D tomorrow, gonna have me a brunch.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    That's even worse than the pumpkin spice Twinkies.

They weren't too bad, just tasted like cinnamon and a whole lot of sugar. =P

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    It's just shepherd's pie, there's no shame in that!

Which happens to be my favorite meal!

I wholeheartedly do not believe your favorite meal involves no shame.

Whats to be ashamed about!?!?

Its just good ol' fashioned cooking!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    chili mac n cheese leftovers for lunch!

i'm at only partial success with the whole 'reducing my gluten intake.' i'll go days without, and then it gets wrecked when i crave, say, Indian, because who can resist naan. etc etc. but partial success is better than not trying, and my gut seems to be improved.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I have never been in a KFC, but I looked up the sides they offer here in Germany and they are: fries, coleslaw, corn on the cob, mash (looks like it has gravy on it) ... and bacon. The picture is three strips of bacon on a plate.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't remember even seeing a KFC in germany.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I really wish I liked eggs more.

They are just flavorless mass of slippery blandness though.

Except the yolk, which makes for good toast dipping.

If you season an egg with just a little salt and pepper it is anything but bland. That's all you need too! Salt and pepper! Also maybe frying that thing in butter.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    although, one of the things is that you don't need to eat the eggs and bananas at the same time if you don't want to

Although a fried egg with a fried banana and a simple tomato and onion sauce is a surprisingly tasty meal. The original probably called for plantains, but eh, bananas are easier to find.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Who has two thumbs and is going to eat a big handful of salt and vinegar potato chips? This girl, that's who!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I love salt and vinegar chips but I also wish to have mercy on the inside of my mouth.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I tried Cinnamon Frosted Flakes last night. Rather lackluster in the cinnamon department if you ask me, they barely tasted any different than regular Frosted Flakes. I mean, we have Cinnamon Toast Crunch out there already so I figured they would come with a strong Cinnamon game. Cinnamon Chex gave me a more viable cinnamon experience so if that's what you are looking for I would recommend those. You even get a little film of cinnamon in your milk at the end of the bowl. The CFFs did not have that. How is that even possible?

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I noticed they now have cereal powder you can mix directly into milk now, three different kinds next to the hot chocolate. What have we become?

This discussion has been closed.