Options

Twitter Continues To Have A [Twitter] Problem

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    As for freedom of speech issues: Threats and harassment are not free speech. Get use to it.
    Soooo, about that. The Supreme Court kinda fucked over legal action against online death threats: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us/supreme-court-rules-in-anthony-elonis-online-threats-case.html And Clarence Thomas was the only one to say "This is fucking stupid, of course this guy is an asshole and belongs in jail. What the hell is wrong with all of you?" So yeah, random anonymous death threats are easy to get away with as long as you say it's all joke! Go America!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    As for freedom of speech issues: Threats and harassment are not free speech. Get use to it.
    Soooo, about that. The Supreme Court kinda fucked over legal action against online death threats: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us/supreme-court-rules-in-anthony-elonis-online-threats-case.html And Clarence Thomas was the only one to say "This is fucking stupid, of course this guy is an asshole and belongs in jail. What the hell is wrong with all of you?" So yeah, random anonymous death threats are free speech as long as you say it's all joke! Go America!

Reread the article. That didn't touch First Amendment grounds at all, just that the threat had to be intentional.

This is still an incredibly stupid decision that makes prosection hard, mind. But it's not in any way an absolute defense.

Also props for finding probably the only 8-1 where I agree with Clarance Thomas :P

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Soooo, about that. The Supreme Court kinda fucked over legal action against online death threats: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/us/supreme-court-rules-in-anthony-elonis-online-threats-case.html And Clarence Thomas was the only one to say "This is fucking stupid, of course this guy is an asshole and belongs in jail. What the hell is wrong with all of you?" So yeah, random anonymous death threats are free speech as long as you say it's all joke! Go America!

Reread the article. That didn't touch First Amendment grounds at all, just that the threat had to be intentional.

This is still an incredibly stupid decision that makes prosection hard, mind. But it's not in any way an absolute defense.

Also props for finding probably the only 8-1 where I agree with Clarance Thomas :P

I worded it badly, fixed it to try clean it up. But yeah, it doesn't take away from this being a super cut and dry issue because our government is just pants on head dumb. Thanks to this decision, the avalanche of daily internet death threats are that much more nightmarish to deal with to the point of impossibility from a legal standpoint. "I was just venting" should never be a legal defense for threatening people but welcome to modern America!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

I worded it badly, fixed it to try clean it up. But yeah, it doesn't take away from this being a super cut and dry issue because our government is just pants on head dumb. Thanks to this decision, the avalanche of daily internet death threats are that much more nightmarish to deal with to the point of impossibility from a legal standpoint. "I was just venting" should never be a legal defense for threatening people but welcome to modern America!

Normally, when someone says a case is "super cut and dry" they aren't agreeing with the lone dissent given by the courts resident dullard. :rotate:

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    What happens if that case goes the other way?

• Options

Everyone shrugs and goes "duh."

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Popping in again to clarify what seems to be going on with YouTube since it's been mentioned a few times and I've kept somewhat moderate track of how it's been moving along. YouTube isn't so much rolling out a new moderation filter as it is slowly changing the entire site's business model over to a focus on professionally produced content. The first phases of this were YouTube's deals with record labels, movie rentals, and more recently YouTube Red. Demonetization seems to be topic-agnostic, though most "pro" channel operators have changed their models to adapt as well (switching to Patreon rather than relying on monetized advertisements). It was only very early on that some people thought it was targeting some specific users, but the situation has since become much clearer.

IIRC they've erased offending videos by being searched via Google, as well.

• Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular

Good to know.

Any other responses? I don't really understand the implications of favoring objective intent vs subjective intent. The justices most of us like all lined up to oppose Clarence Thomas. Why?

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Good to know.

Any other responses? I don't really understand the implications of favoring objective intent vs subjective intent. The justices most of us like all lined up to oppose Clarence Thomas. Why?

Majority opinion starts on page 4:
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-983_7l48.pdf

• Options

Then most rap lyrics become actionable threats

Whether this is good or bad is probably a whole nother thread

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Good to know.

Because they, like the rest of us, live in a society that lauds as a victory for free speech the right of neo-nazis to march in force through a community that is not only comprised significantly of Jewish people, but had a large population of Holocaust survivors.

We, as a society, tend to not appreciate the power of speech at the same time we put it on a pedestal. Which is why we routinely respond to people being genuinely terrorized with "it's only words".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mr. FusionMr. Fusion Registered User regular

Good to know.

Because they, like the rest of us, live in a society that lauds as a victory for free speech the right of neo-nazis to march in force through a community that is not only comprised significantly of Jewish people, but had a large population of Holocaust survivors.

We, as a society, tend to not appreciate the power of speech at the same time we put it on a pedestal. Which is why we routinely respond to people being genuinely terrorized with "it's only words".

If Neo-Nazis cannot march, then neither can BLM or protests against the Trump Administration. BLM terrorizes non-blacks and families of law enforcers, many recognize them as the black KKK. Trump protests terrorizes those who voted for and support the president, and intimidates them from speaking their mind in public.

Is that what you want? Maybe it is, the way things are going who knows.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Mr. Fusion wrote: »

Good to know.

If Neo-Nazis cannot march, then neither can BLM or protests against the Trump Administration. BLM terrorizes non-blacks and families of law enforcers, many recognize them as the black KKK. Trump protests terrorizes those who voted for and support the president, and intimidates them from speaking their mind in public.

Somehow, I think we can mark a difference between black protesters demanding that our society treat their lives as valuable, and adherents to one of the most murderous ideologies ever.

Edit: I thought this was a good response to the argument that I saw elsewhere:
    A "stalwart absolutist defense of free speech" does have drawbacks.

Tell the dead that they're drawbacks. Tell the terrified, the beaten, the disenfranchised. Tell everyone who actually feels the existential terror of being in a world where "now, now, let's let the nazis say their piece" is the genteel response of people living outside that terror.

Right now you are bending over backward to not say "maybe Nazis should in fact shut the fuck up". You're putting in a hell of a lot of effort there. And you can say you're defending a principle and not the Nazis exploiting that principle, but they are who you are actually helping with this. That's what lets the fuckers keep spreading the good word. That exact tolerance-of-anything-speech-shaped absolutism.

Festering hatred and xenophobia and dehumanization is a hell of a price to consider better than taking megaphones away from the Richard Spencers of the world, and it is a price you are suggesting you are willing to let other people pay if it means you don't have to budge on an abstract principle.

You don't want to carry water, put the fuckin' bucket down.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options

Good to know.

The legal and moral equivalent here wouldn't be BLM. It'd be a neo-Marxist group advocating death to the bougeroes or something. A content neutral "No you may not advocate for ethnic cleansing or genocide" would not hit either of the groups you mentioned.

Many recognize them as the black KKK because they're racist shits. The two groups aren't in any way equivalent.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Jeff Sessions is definitely a racist shit, though.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Jeff Sessions is definitely a racist shit, though.

Doesn't matter. Same way a lot of conservatives call BLM "terrorists" but the DoJ isn't going to he able to get that to stick.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Good to know.

The legal and moral equivalent here wouldn't be BLM. It'd be a neo-Marxist group advocating death to the bougeroes or something. A content neutral "No you may not advocate for ethnic cleansing or genocide" would not hit either of the groups you mentioned.

Many recognize them as the black KKK because they're racist shits. The two groups aren't in any way equivalent.

Do neo-Nazis actually advocate genocide openly while marching? I bet that would not be protected speech. I challenge you to write an objective rule differentiating "we need to protect the interests of white Americans and traditional values" from "we need to protect black people from police shootings".

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Thousands of angry 14 year olds who like rap and metal are open to prosecution if they post lyrics and someone reports feeling threatened by it.

IIRC, the guy wasn't messaging his ex in a targeted way(DM, Email, txt message etc), just making status posts to Facebook.

Also, here is one of the offending posts
    “You know your s***’s ridiculous
    when you have the FBI knockin’ at yo’ door
    Little Agent lady stood so close
    Took all the strength I had not to turn the b**** ghost
    Pull my knife, flick my wrist, and slit her throat
    Leave her bleedin’ from her jugular in the arms of her
    partner
    [laughter]
    So the next time you knock, you best be serving a
    warrant
    And bring yo’ SWAT and an explosives expert while
    you’re at it
    Cause little did y’all know, I was strapped wit’ a bomb
    Why do you think it took me so long to get dressed
    with no shoes on?
    I was jus’ waitin’ for y’all to handcuff me and pat me
    down
    Touch the detonator in my pocket and we’re all goin’
    [BOOM!]
    Are all the pieces comin’ together?
    S***, I’m just a crazy sociopath

that gets off playin’ you stupid f***s like a fiddle
    And if y’all didn’t hear, I’m gonna be famous
    Cause I’m just an aspiring rapper who likes the
    attention
    who happens to be under investigation for terrorism
    cause y’all think I’m ready to turn the Valley into
    Fallujah
    But I ain’t gonna tell you which bridge is gonna fall
    into which river or road
    And if you really believe this s***
    I’ll have some bridge rubble to sell you tomorrow
    [BOOM!][BOOM!][BOOM!]”

That is clearly someone (badly) writing a rap verse, in the vein of something like.
    NSFW obviously
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFM5UKYorFg

So now you are arguably censoring art.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Good to know.

Do neo-Nazis actually advocate genocide openly while marching? I bet that would not be protected speech. I challenge you to write an objective rule differentiating "we need to protect the interests of white Americans and traditional values" from "we need to protect black people from police shootings".

Neo-Nazis advocate genocide by just existing. It's baked into the ideology.

• Options

Good to know.

Do you understand why this cannot be used as a working basis for legislation?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Good to know.

Advocating genocide is definitely protected speech right now in the USA unless the person is basically advocating for it to start happening right this second. The landmark case saying the speech had to be intended to and likely to cause imminent lawless behavior literally involved a KKK leader who talked about revenge against Jews.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular

Good to know.

Yeah things don’t work that way. We tend not to persecute based on ideology for very good reasons.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sure you do

You can be arrested for being a member of a terrorist organisation in the US. These groups are considered threats because their ideology is considered to drive them to commit criminal terrorist acts.

It's just that Neo-Nazi groups typically are not identified as domestic terrorist groups. Erroneously so, IMO, but there definitely is a basis to that. Why do you think everyone who visits the US has to answer the question "are or or have you ever been a member of the Nazi Party?"

Solar on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think that's a good point.
    Why aren't groups who espouse or advocate for genocide or ethnic cleansing classified as terrorist organizations?

Can you put an ISIS flag on the back of your coal roller and not get arrested? I doubt it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Why aren't groups who espouse or advocate for genocide or ethnic cleansing classified as terrorist organizations?

Can you put an ISIS flag on the back of your coal roller and not get arrested? I doubt it.

because the gop would lose some support if various militias, the klan, and neo nazis were labeled terrorists and treated as such

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Sure you do

You can be arrested for being a member of a terrorist organisation in the US. These groups are considered threats because their ideology is considered to drive them to commit criminal terrorist acts.

It's just that Neo-Nazi groups typically are not identified as domestic terrorist groups. Erroneously so, IMO, but there definitely is a basis to that. Why do you think everyone who visits the US has to answer the question "are or or have you ever been a member of the Nazi Party?"

are you sure you can be arrested for being a member of a group, and not for either providing support to those groups or planning to do illegal things with them? like, you know, be arrested for actions you take and not just association?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I assume that a group has to actually commit or try to commit a terrorist act to be labeled as a terrorist organisation.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If you, on Twitter, post threats against other citizens in the name of the "Islamic Caliphate" you'd better fucking believe that the local intelligence agency will be all over you. No matter what you've done or not done.

If you're a Nazi? Nope.

• Options
    Sure you do

This is more like prosecuting someone for being Muslim, because Terrorists are Muslims. We punish for crimes, not ideology.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Ultimately, it comes down to: can we expect Twitter to attempt to improve society and care about more than increasing the number of tweets sent from month-month
    Sure you do

I have never been asked that question

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

because the gop would lose some support if various militias, the klan, and neo nazis were labeled terrorists and treated as such

Even if you couldn't label them as terrorists, you could probably label most of them as gangs.

I mean hell, Juggalos just got classified as a gang and they're just fans of shitty music.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yep. Remember the shitfit the right had in 2009 over the FBI's report on right wing extremism.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Ultimately, it comes down to: can we expect Twitter to attempt to improve society and care about more than increasing the number of tweets sent from month-month

No, not unless it is forced to through public or legal pressure.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Good to know.

Advocating genocide is definitely protected speech right now in the USA unless the person is basically advocating for it to start happening right this second. The landmark case saying the speech had to be intended to and likely to cause imminent lawless behavior literally involved a KKK leader who talked about revenge against Jews.

And as I've said before, Brandenburg is an shitty ruling that boils down to "Holy fuck, we're holding genteel white bigots to the same standard we hold everyone else? We need to nip that in the bud!", and is a large part of why it's been hard to push back against hate speech targeting communities.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Thousands of angry 14 year olds who like rap and metal are open to prosecution if they post lyrics and someone reports feeling threatened by it.

IIRC, the guy wasn't messaging his ex in a targeted way(DM, Email, txt message etc), just making status posts to Facebook.

partner
    [laughter]
    warrant
    you’re at it
    with no shoes on?
    down
    [BOOM!]

attention
    Fallujah
    into which river or road
    [BOOM!][BOOM!][BOOM!]”

That is clearly someone (badly) writing a rap verse, in the vein of something like.
    NSFW obviously

Yes, because it's not like there isn't a problem with abusive ex-partners engaging in ideation until they finally act on it.

Just because he wasn't targeting her specifically didn't mean that the lyrics weren't threatening to her, or that she didn't have good reason to fear for her safety. It's also interesting that you bring up Eminem, because guess who actually abused the person he sang about abusing?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options

Good to know.

Somehow, I think we can mark a difference between black protesters demanding that our society treat their lives as valuable, and adherents to one of the most murderous ideologies ever.

snip

There's no "we". The people who would be marking such a difference are not a "we", they are a "they", and they are not trustworthy to do it. You're gonna have the next seven or so years of this shit to remind you of that, it'll probably sink in by the end.

• Options

partner
    [laughter]
    warrant
    you’re at it
    with no shoes on?
    down
    [BOOM!]

attention
    Fallujah
    into which river or road
    [BOOM!][BOOM!][BOOM!]”

NSFW obviously

Yes, because it's not like there isn't a problem with abusive ex-partners engaging in ideation until they finally act on it.

Just because he wasn't targeting her specifically didn't mean that the lyrics weren't threatening to her, or that she didn't have good reason to fear for her safety. It's also interesting that you bring up Eminem, because guess who actually abused the person he sang about abusing?

To be clear, what are you suggesting? Seems like a giant can of worms you’re opening there.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Sure you do

I have never been asked that question

Up until about 4 years ago you would have answered a similar one. It's out now. The question was "were you involved in the persecutions associated with Nazi Germany between 1939 and 1945".

• Options
    Daedalus wrote: »

Good to know.

snip

There's no "we". The people who would be marking such a difference are not a "we", they are a "they", and they are not trustworthy to do it. You're gonna have the next seven or so years of this shit to remind you of that, it'll probably sink in by the end.

At least in my opinion, this is less an argument for inaction lest the wrong people get in power (which doesn't work for a number of reasons, the foremost being that binding your hands doesn't bind theirs), and more an argument for making sure those people aren't given power in the first place.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    We should not try to stop Nazis, because otherwise they might try to stop us.
    Riiiiiiiight...
    I don't think that idea holds water.
    Unlimited freedom of speech only empowers the worst of us, the most loudest, meanest, most ruthless and hatefull.
    The idea that we must allow nazis and their ilk not only a freedom to talk, but a platform to do so in public, or we also silence those speaking in favor of justice and freedom, is not born out by most of the developed world outside US.

This discussion has been closed.