Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Twitter Continues To Have A [Twitter] Problem

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
So, as mentioned in the Weinstein thread, Twitter opened a can of worms when it suspended the account of actress Rose McGowan over tweets directed at Ben Affleck. Twitter tried to defuse this by claiming they had done so because she had violated their policy by posting a personal telephone numbers.

This wound up being the wrong move.

Immediately, women, minorities, and members of other marginalized groups began recounting how Twitter, when informed of their personal information being posted on Twitter as part of an attack on them, had responded that the tweets did not violate the terms of service. (Most notably, the St. Louis Police Department, during the recent protests over a cop being allowed to literally get away with murder, tweeted the contact information of protesters. Twitter has not sanctioned the SLPD, and the tweet is still up.) This has lead to a group of women to declare a day long boycott of Twitter for today.

Which leaves one to wonder - how did we end up here? And for me, the answer comes back to this:

Twitter has a Twitter problem.

This comment that was made elsewhere was illuminating for me:
Just so everyone's clear on where Twitter's priorities are: they already know who the Nazis on their platform are. They're required to flag Nazi accounts so that they do not appear when you use Twitter from a German or French IP address. That means that there's already an existing flag that they could use to trivially ban a huge portion of the fascist recruiting and propaganda effort from their service at any moment. Guess why they haven't.

The fastest way to get infracted on Twitter is still to yell at fascists or white supremacists. You can say back to them the same things that they're saying to you and you will get suspended while they will not. On the other hand, people do not get infracted for talking about how they wish they could enslave black people or shovel Jewish people into ovens, and of course basically any kind of harassment is okay as long as the target is a woman. The company is too cowardly to make their positions clear, but if you just follow the pattern of their behavior it becomes pretty obvious.

She puts someone's private number in a tweet which is one of the few cardinal sins on Twitter.

That's not true. People do this all the time. Tons of protesters have been doxxed very thoroughly (and often incorrectly!) on right-wing Twitter, and if you report those posts you'll be told that they don't violate the ToS. This is a bald-faced lie from the Twitter support team that is meant to sound reasonable to people who aren't very involved with Twitter. Please don't fall for it.

What amazes me is that they do, in fact, track these abusive accounts in order to comply with French and German law, but do nothing more than just block them from appearing in those countries. And this is the heart of Twitter's Twitter problem - they find it more important to give a platform to abusers than to prevent abuse.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
MorganVArmorocSleepmysticjuicerQuidPreachershrykeKetBrakimebrynhrtmnShadowhopeIncenjucarNobeardGiggles_FunsworthHefflingGennenalyse RuebenMr RayMild ConfusionDoodmannMvrckMrVyngaardMegaMekMatevKamarElldrenGnome-InterruptusnaengwenMillHacksawKristmas KthulhuFeralCambiataLord_AsmodeusCaptain Ironsides
«13456783

Posts

  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Twitter is not an essential service. It is a revenue business. Unless the people stop using it or the government steps in, it is unlikely they will change.

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    SleepredxXaquinTryCatcherElvenshaeShadowhopeNobeardGiggles_FunsworthHefflingGennenalyse RuebenelectricitylikesmeShadowfireAistanThe EnderMichaelLCDisruptedCapitalistApothe0sisMatevGnome-InterruptusnaengwenHacksawKristmas KthulhuFeralLord_Asmodeus
  • SixSix Fat Apollo Registered User regular
    Twitter will do what’s best for Twitter, not what’s best for everyone else.

    steamcommunity.com/id/thenumbersix/
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1335-2661-4136
    ElvenshaeelectricitylikesmeEmerlmaster999Apothe0sis
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    What is best for Twitter anyway?

    Last I heard it was still just a money sink. So what do they really have to show for letting Nazis run rampant on their platform anyway?

    Are they selling user data to companies or something?

    Doodmann
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    What is best for Twitter anyway?

    Last I heard it was still just a money sink. So what do they really have to show for letting Nazis run rampant on their platform anyway?

    Are they selling user data to companies or something?

    They sell ads. This causes them a bit of a problem as bots and high volume assholes make them money...but drive off other users.

  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    1) Twitter should enforce its TOS consistently

    2) Twitter should make the French and German account bans apply platform-wide

    These seem like separate propositions that should be distinguished, yet that get run together in the OP. The first is completely unobjectionable--it's hard to imagine how you could disagree. The second, by contrast, just re-raises all the classic debates about free speech and hate speech and all that.

    LoserForHireXspool32MrVyngaardjoshofalltradesApothe0sisMillFeralCambiata
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    twitter is garbage and I never use it because of that fact

    urahonkyDaedalusBigJoeMSleepkimeForarMetal JaredRedTideTicaldfjamHerrCrondispatch.omRahmaniHefflingGennenalyse RuebenSpaten OptimatorHappylilElfelectricitylikesmeMr RayAegeriEvigilantAistanAtheraalThe EnderSolarMichaelLCMild ConfusionDisruptedCapitalistMoridin889RozGnizmoDoctorArchjoshofalltradesSyphonBlueKamarElldrenGnome-InterruptusHacksawLocal H JayLord_AsmodeusCaptain Ironsides
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It is a necessary evil to get a heads up on PAX passes. Receiving adorable animal pictures retweeted by those few I follow don't hurt either.

    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    xu257gunns6e.png

  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    SmrtnikMr RayMild ConfusionDisruptedCapitalistMoridin889KaputaGnome-Interruptus
  • ZxerolZxerol HOW MANY POUNDS IS CAT POOP Registered User regular
    There's the bugbear of Twitter's abuse and moderation problems killing its acquirability (rumor has it that it caused Disney to walk out, along a list of other potential suitors), so I'm questioning if Twitter indulging in this Silicon Valley style of libertarianism which it comes this kind of shit is really what's best for Twitter.

    RMS OceanicPhoenix-DThe EnderMegaMek
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    QuidAngelHedgiedavidsdurionsArmorocshrykeXaquinLoserForHireXKetBrakimeDemonStaceyMan in the MistsbrynhrtmnNobeardHefflingGennenalyse RuebenelectricitylikesmeEmerlmaster999ShadowfireAistanEddyDoodmannDisruptedCapitalistVeagleMrVyngaardDarkPrimusOneAngryPossumMegaMekMatevElldrenGnome-InterruptusMillHacksawLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuCambiataUnluckyLord_AsmodeusCaptain Ironsides
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Just so everyone's clear on where Twitter's priorities are: they already know who the Nazis on their platform are. They're required to flag Nazi accounts so that they do not appear when you use Twitter from a German or French IP address. That means that there's already an existing flag that they could use to trivially ban a huge portion of the fascist recruiting and propaganda effort from their service at any moment. Guess why they haven't.

    Have they ever completely blocked/banned a huge swath of people? I see that if you've got a German/French IP (perhaps from a lawsuit/law?) they're blocked, but is there any evidence that they've completely removed others? Perhaps it's not in their best interest to completely block a not-insignificant amount of people from using their service? As mentioned Twitter is already bleeding money right? So if they start completely removing people then it doesn't look good for their business. It's unfortunate but they're a business.
    The fastest way to get infracted on Twitter is still to yell at fascists or white supremacists. You can say back to them the same things that they're saying to you and you will get suspended while they will not. On the other hand, people do not get infracted for talking about how they wish they could enslave black people or shovel Jewish people into ovens, and of course basically any kind of harassment is okay as long as the target is a woman. The company is too cowardly to make their positions clear, but if you just follow the pattern of their behavior it becomes pretty obvious.

    Is there any evidence of this? I get that if you're yelling at anyone you can get infracted/banned (which is a valid stance for a company to take) but is there any evidence that they are okay if you're yelling or screaming at a minority/woman but not okay with you yelling/screaming at a nazi/fascist? Maybe the Nazi snowflake reports the comment immediately (along with his bots/followers) and it gets removed faster than if one or two people report a single comment?

    And the St. Louis thing is odd. Their arrests are public record, but they really shouldn't have put it in a hashtag. I have hard time calling it doxxing, though since anyone can view that list if they wanted to.

    But, as others have said, fuck Twitter and everything it stands for. I hope this really is the straw that breaks the camels back.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Have they ever completely blocked/banned a huge swath of people? I see that if you've got a German/French IP (perhaps from a lawsuit/law?) they're blocked, but is there any evidence that they've completely removed others? Perhaps it's not in their best interest to completely block a not-insignificant amount of people from using their service? As mentioned Twitter is already bleeding money right? So if they start completely removing people then it doesn't look good for their business. It's unfortunate but they're a business.

    Depends who their market is. If they want the Neo nazi, white supremacist, racist crowd that's the right tactic - if they want everyone else, that's what's going to show the slightest glimmer that audience should care about being on that platform.

  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I had no idea that "nazi flag" existed, and pretty much makes their inaction entirely inexcusable.

    SleepXaquinRingokimeMan in the MistsEtiowsadispatch.oNobeardGennenalyse RuebenelectricitylikesmeMr RayKing Riptorjimb213Emerlmaster999Zilla360Crimson KingSolarMild ConfusionMortal SkyGnizmoRear Admiral ChocoMrVyngaardMegaMekSyphonBlueKamarElldrenGnome-InterruptusnaengwenMillHacksawKristmas KthulhuCambiataUnluckyLord_Asmodeus
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Have they ever completely blocked/banned a huge swath of people? I see that if you've got a German/French IP (perhaps from a lawsuit/law?) they're blocked, but is there any evidence that they've completely removed others? Perhaps it's not in their best interest to completely block a not-insignificant amount of people from using their service? As mentioned Twitter is already bleeding money right? So if they start completely removing people then it doesn't look good for their business. It's unfortunate but they're a business.

    Depends who their market is. If they want the Neo nazi, white supremacist, racist crowd that's the right tactic - if they want everyone else, that's what's going to show the slightest glimmer that audience should care about being on that platform.

    If that's the case then why, as a business, would you even market to such a small subset of your overall base? Even if you 100% agree with their bullshit. If you're bleeding red you can't afford to not market to the larger portion. Although this IS Twitter so maybe it really is just a shit-run business that's somehow managed to stay afloat.

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    A lot of fledgling authors are told they must have a social media presence and be responsible for getting publicity out on their book, and twitter is one of the largest platforms out there.

    Woe be to any woman or minority that wants to be an author in the era of social media.

    Harry DresdenshrykeRingoFencingsaxdispatch.oWyvernGennenalyse RuebentynicOatsEmerlmaster999The EnderSolarMvrckNyysjanjoshofalltradesDarkPrimusMegaMekMatevElldrenGnome-InterruptusHacksawLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Has John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory ever been revised to account for the following scenarios:
    Nazi using the internet anonymously
    Nazi using the internet non privately
    Internet outing people that were previously thought as a "normal person" as an actual fuckwad
    Etc

    Ticaldfjam
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Have they ever completely blocked/banned a huge swath of people? I see that if you've got a German/French IP (perhaps from a lawsuit/law?) they're blocked, but is there any evidence that they've completely removed others? Perhaps it's not in their best interest to completely block a not-insignificant amount of people from using their service? As mentioned Twitter is already bleeding money right? So if they start completely removing people then it doesn't look good for their business. It's unfortunate but they're a business.

    Depends who their market is. If they want the Neo nazi, white supremacist, racist crowd that's the right tactic - if they want everyone else, that's what's going to show the slightest glimmer that audience should care about being on that platform.

    If that's the case then why, as a business, would you even market to such a small subset of your overall base? Even if you 100% agree with their bullshit. If you're bleeding red you can't afford to not market to the larger portion. Although this IS Twitter so maybe it really is just a shit-run business that's somehow managed to stay afloat.

    That's my guess.

    urahonkyGennenalyse RuebenMr RayMegaMekElldren
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The quote from the OP says:
    The fastest way to get infracted on Twitter is still to yell at fascists or white supremacists. You can say back to them the same things that they're saying to you and you will get suspended while they will not. On the other hand, people do not get infracted for talking about how they wish they could enslave black people or shovel Jewish people into ovens, and of course basically any kind of harassment is okay as long as the target is a woman. The company is too cowardly to make their positions clear, but if you just follow the pattern of their behavior it becomes pretty obvious.

    Is there some examples of this?

    Unlucky
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The quote from the OP says:
    The fastest way to get infracted on Twitter is still to yell at fascists or white supremacists. You can say back to them the same things that they're saying to you and you will get suspended while they will not. On the other hand, people do not get infracted for talking about how they wish they could enslave black people or shovel Jewish people into ovens, and of course basically any kind of harassment is okay as long as the target is a woman. The company is too cowardly to make their positions clear, but if you just follow the pattern of their behavior it becomes pretty obvious.

    Is there some examples of this?

    I'm curious about this too. I think it's probably a case of "squeaky wheel gets the grease", but I'd interested in seeing this.

    Harry DresdenFrankiedarlingRear Admiral ChocoUnlucky
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    mRahmaniGennenalyse RuebenAistanMild ConfusionApothe0sisGnome-Interruptus
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Have they ever completely blocked/banned a huge swath of people? I see that if you've got a German/French IP (perhaps from a lawsuit/law?) they're blocked, but is there any evidence that they've completely removed others? Perhaps it's not in their best interest to completely block a not-insignificant amount of people from using their service? As mentioned Twitter is already bleeding money right? So if they start completely removing people then it doesn't look good for their business. It's unfortunate but they're a business.

    Depends who their market is. If they want the Neo nazi, white supremacist, racist crowd that's the right tactic - if they want everyone else, that's what's going to show the slightest glimmer that audience should care about being on that platform.

    If that's the case then why, as a business, would you even market to such a small subset of your overall base? Even if you 100% agree with their bullshit. If you're bleeding red you can't afford to not market to the larger portion. Although this IS Twitter so maybe it really is just a shit-run business that's somehow managed to stay afloat.

    That's my guess.

    We saw the same issue with YouTube and the Adpocalypse, and with Reddit and the hate subreddits - all these SV darlings keep putting the albatross of bigotry around their neck even when it's clear to everyone that it's killing them.

    At this point, one has to wonder if there's more going on, especially in light of reports of white nationalists recruiting in the tech community and how all sorts of people funneled information and targets to Breitbart and white supremacists.

    (That last link could be a thread on its own.)

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Harry DresdenMrVyngaardMegaMek
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Twitter's moderation tends to be pretty damn random. I'll have to see if I can find the user who has someone make three accounts to DM unsolicited dick picks (at the same time) Naturally she reported all three.

    Each one got a completely different reaction.

    TheBlackWindArdolElldren
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    DaedalusXaquinBurnageHarry DresdenurahonkykimeMan in the MistsTicaldfjamdispatch.oHefflingTOGSolidMr RayZilla360Mild ConfusionKraintApothe0sisKaputaElldrenGnome-InterruptusMillHacksawUnlucky
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The quote from the OP says:
    The fastest way to get infracted on Twitter is still to yell at fascists or white supremacists. You can say back to them the same things that they're saying to you and you will get suspended while they will not. On the other hand, people do not get infracted for talking about how they wish they could enslave black people or shovel Jewish people into ovens, and of course basically any kind of harassment is okay as long as the target is a woman. The company is too cowardly to make their positions clear, but if you just follow the pattern of their behavior it becomes pretty obvious.

    Is there some examples of this?

    I've seen this on facebook quite a bit; but not on twitter. Someone will be harassed on their page/in comments, that person will share the comment on their feed, and be suspended/banned for posting language that goes against their ToS, while the person who actually made the comment goes unpunished.

    Mr Ray
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because, as was pointed out above, people may not have the choice to do so, because of network effects and the importance of social media in the cultivation of one's social profile.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    kimeSleepKalTorakFencingsaxdispatch.oNobeardiTunesIsEvilOatsShadowfireThe EnderArdolMoridin889MrVyngaardDarkPrimusMegaMekMatevDedwrekkaLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuUnluckyLord_Asmodeus
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because Twitter doesn't stop being relevant just cause you ignore it.

    SleepPreacherFencingsaxdispatch.oNobeardiTunesIsEvilOatsArchangleArdolOneAngryPossumMegaMekDedwrekkaLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because Twitter doesn't stop being relevant just cause you ignore it.

    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    XaquinFrankiedarlingMan in the MistsdiscriderbrynhrtmnHefflingTOGSolidMild ConfusionDoodmannApothe0sisKaputaElldrenHacksawUnlucky
  • KetBraKetBra FISTS OF JUSTICE! Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because most reporters need to engage with twitter as part of their job. Employers want reporters with a twitter presence to help promote their organization. It's also a huge networking tool, which forcing women out of is kind of a shitty thing

    ohKiGmg.png
    Steam Bnet:KetBra#1692 Yo Satan
    kimeQuidshrykeJohnny ChopsockyFencingsaxNobeardiTunesIsEviltynicGennenalyse RuebenOatsGiggles_FunsworthThe EnderArdolGnizmojoshofalltradesOneAngryPossumMegaMekMatevHacksawFeralLord_Asmodeus
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because, as was pointed out above, people may not have the choice to do so, because of network effects and the importance of social media in the cultivation of one's social profile.

    You have the choice to do so, right? The high-profile people stuck in the service are only stuck there because of the masses of regular people who won't leave no matter how bad it gets. I'm sorry, but you are part of the problem.

    Apothe0sis
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because Twitter doesn't stop being relevant just cause you ignore it.

    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    Nobody worries about MySpace period because it's a practically irrelevant platform. It shouldn't be women that have to give up using a widely viewed platform over bigots.

    Harry DresdenKetBraPreacherJazziTunesIsEvilGennenalyse RuebenShadowfireArdolGnizmoMrVyngaardjoshofalltradesMegaMekMatevJusticeforPlutoLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Any source on the Nazi flag thing? That's the first I've heard of it, and I'd be curious if it's substantiated beyond "anonymous quote in the OP." It makes sense based on my limited understanding of how Nazi-ism is treated there, but I'm curious how true it is.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    MySpace collapsed because Facebook undercut it through building up a base in colleges, then using that base to expand into society at large. Which comes back, once again, to why the "let's just move away" argument doesn't work - network effects. You, alone, moving away will do nothing. You would need to effect a mass migration from from service. The problem is, Twitter is where all the users are, where all the conversations are happening. And that pulls people into its orbit. Again, MySpace didn't jus "fail", it had a competitor build up its own network, which let it pull people away.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    shrykeFencingsaxNobeardtynicGennenalyse RuebenMatevMillKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Any source on the Nazi flag thing? That's the first I've heard of it, and I'd be curious if it's substantiated beyond "anonymous quote in the OP." It makes sense based on my limited understanding of how Nazi-ism is treated there, but I'm curious how true it is.

    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3kz57j/this-is-how-twitter-blocks-far-right-tweets-in-germany
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/10/19/163243194/twitter-blocks-offensive-accounts-in-germany-u-k-deletes-tweets-in-france

    kimeElldren
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because Twitter doesn't stop being relevant just cause you ignore it.

    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    Nobody worries about MySpace period because it's a practically irrelevant platform. It shouldn't be women that have to give up using a widely viewed platform over bigots.

    A platform becomes irrelevant when the audience leaves. So why aren't you giving up the platform?

    urahonkyApothe0sisElldren
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because Twitter doesn't stop being relevant just cause you ignore it.

    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    It's a collective action problem, for one, so this answer is bullshit. And secondly, like the President of the motherfucking United States runs foreign policy out of twitter. And that's just the start. So, no, it's not going to become irrelevant any time soon.

    The idea that if a bunch of women just walk away from the platform it's all gonna go away is utter bullshit.

    kimeKetBraAngelHedgieQuidJazzFencingsaxNobeardiTunesIsEvilGiggles_FunsworthArdolMegaMekMatevLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    MySpace collapsed because Facebook undercut it through building up a base in colleges, then using that base to expand into society at large. Which comes back, once again, to why the "let's just move away" argument doesn't work - network effects. You, alone, moving away will do nothing. You would need to effect a mass migration from from service. The problem is, Twitter is where all the users are, where all the conversations are happening. And that pulls people into its orbit. Again, MySpace didn't jus "fail", it had a competitor build up its own network, which let it pull people away.

    Look, you can walk away from Omelas, or you can whine and keep using their service. Talk is cheap. The former has a small but nonzero positive effect, the latter has zero positive effect.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, women leave Twitter, go somewhere else, platform gains popularity, assholes move to new platform, cycle repeats? That's not sensible or sustainable.

    The solution is to attempt to apply pressure to the platforms in use and built in the future to have some measure of control/safeguards in place to address abuse but that can't be easily abused in and of themselves.

    "But that's really hard!" some will say.

    Yeah, no kidding. I never said it'd be easy. But just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's acceptable.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    KetBrashrykeNobeardGiggles_FunsworthGnizmoMegaMekLocal H JayKristmas KthulhuLord_Asmodeus
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    But that's exactly what it does. Nobody's worried about deplorables on Myspace right now, are they? Twitter's only relevance comes from its viewership. If their users (that's you) aren't willing to leave, they have no incentive to change.

    MySpace collapsed because Facebook undercut it through building up a base in colleges, then using that base to expand into society at large. Which comes back, once again, to why the "let's just move away" argument doesn't work - network effects. You, alone, moving away will do nothing. You would need to effect a mass migration from from service. The problem is, Twitter is where all the users are, where all the conversations are happening. And that pulls people into its orbit. Again, MySpace didn't jus "fail", it had a competitor build up its own network, which let it pull people away.

    Look, you can walk away from Omelas, or you can whine and keep using their service. Talk is cheap. The former has a small but nonzero positive effect, the latter has zero positive effect.

    The effect is not non-zero, it's just zero and pretending otherwise is laughable. No one cares if random twitter user X walks away. Even 1000 random twitter users. Not when major news stories break on twitter or when major outlets and groups and individuals use the platform to communicate.

    This shit you are saying is like saying "You don't need a website".

    shryke on
    kimeNobeardGiggles_FunsworthMegaMekGnome-InterruptusKristmas Kthulhu
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    As someone who has never used twitter, I don't understand why anyone gives a shit what twitter does.

    If you use it or not has no bearing on the fact the current US president uses it almost exlusively to communicate with our country. Horrible people not the president also use it as a tool of oppression and harassment. It's not about you, its about this awful platform.

    If you aren't willing to actually stop using the service in response to their fuckery, why the hell would they change anything? My entire exposure to Twitter is through this forum, and I'd avoid it here if it were possible.

    Yup. One of the line from that article is "The hashtag #WomenBoycottTwitter has been shared more than 190,000 times in a matter of hours."

    They left out the on Twitter part. Chances are there's more tweets about the boycott than missing tweets from the boycott

    And then there stuff like this:


    If it's a godforsaken website you're so relieved to get away from for a day... why not forever? A one day boycott is utterly irrelevant

    Because most reporters need to engage with twitter as part of their job. Employers want reporters with a twitter presence to help promote their organization. It's also a huge networking tool, which forcing women out of is kind of a shitty thing

    Can confirm that every on-air talent at my station is required to have a professional Twitter account that is regularly updated. And the shit people feel free to tweet at them is awful and the company is irresponsible for forcing it on them.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    PreacherJazzGiggles_FunsworthGnome-Interruptus
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Twitter's in a tough place, too much censorship and they're thought of as the thought police and people won't use their service and too little moderation and it gets overrun with terrible people saying terrible things. The first case reduces the number of people who will use the service and the second reduces the ability to get advertiser revenue to the platform.

    They needed to set the standard a long time ago and didn't and now here we are.

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    Kruite
Sign In or Register to comment.