Options

STEAMY SUMMER

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Shorty wrote: »
    also the half-life games are bad

Ha ha wow dude no, dude, no.

I'm not even a huge fan of the series, but you can't possibly say that with a straight face. Maybe you don't enjoy them, that's okay, that's fine. But you can't deny that they literally changed computer games. For the better.

Birth of a Nation did the same thing for movies, but it's still bad

The 2015 film The Birth of a Nation changed the way the film industry makes movies?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Portal 3

I'm not even a huge fan of the series, but you can't possibly say that with a straight face. Maybe you don't enjoy them, that's okay, that's fine. But you can't deny that they literally changed computer games. For the better.

The 2015 film The Birth of a Nation changed the way the film industry makes movies?

I don't think so, no

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    at least for like a drawing it's pretty quick and easy to determine if it's a drawing I like or not

games take a bit more to determine if it's really your thing

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

I don't think so, no

Ah yes, Half-Life, the game renowned for bringing about the regeneration of the Klan.

What the hell are you even talking about, man?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

I don't think so, no

Ah yes, Half-Life, the game renowned for bringing about the regeneration of the Klan.

I don't think it's intended to be a one-to-one comparison, my dude

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    more of a -1 to 1 comparison? a statement to make you go "wow compared to this comparison, apples and oranges look like the same thing"?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't even like the Half Life games and I still think saying they're "bad" is pointlessly contrarian. They're both clearly pretty good games.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Half Life 3
    I don't think The Birth of a Nation is bad

In fact, it's real good! It pioneered a bunch of film techniques and is responsible for a lot of what we love about cinema today. It's just unfortunate that it celebrates heinous shit like the KKK and the Confederacy. Rogert Ebert actually has a great quote about this.
    The Birth of a Nation is not a bad film because it argues for evil. Like Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, it is a great film that argues for evil. To understand how it does so is to learn a great deal about film, and even something about evil.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Portal 3

I don't think so, no

it's a valid comparison

birth of a nation was a landmark film but is not worth spending time on if you're not a student of the medium, even if you choose to set aside the racial content

that is my position on half-life: it changed the way people make and think about shooters, but I'd still rather play just about any of the stuff it inspired

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar

I don't think so, no

it's a valid comparison

birth of a nation was a landmark film but is not worth spending time on if you're not a student of the medium, even if you choose to set aside the racial content

that is my position on half-life: it changed the way people make and think about shooters, but I'd still rather play just about any of the stuff it inspired

I dunno, I'd certainly be more comfortable if you used something like Gone With The Wind in your analogy. That's another film that had a significant impact on how films are made, with a lot less outright racism. And there are plenty of folks that dislike Gone With The Wind!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Team Fortress 3
    The original Half Life is still very good, but Half Life 2 is definitely an inferior game. For me it mostly comes down to the AI and the weapons. If fighting enemies doesn't feel fun in your fps, then you've made a poor fps.

• Options
    Portal 3

I don't think so, no

it's a valid comparison

I dunno, I'd certainly be more comfortable if you used something like Gone With The Wind in your analogy. That's another film that had a significant impact on how films are made, with a lot less outright racism. And there are plenty of folks that dislike Gone With The Wind!

dude, I have some news for you about Gone With the Wind

• Options
    Half Life 3
    Gone With the Wind and The Birth of a Nation are two sides of the racist but highly influential coin.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    The Odyssey and Iliad were bad poems.
    But as the sun was rising from the fair sea into the firmament of heaven to shed light on mortals and immortals, they reached Pylos the city of Neleus. Now the people of Pylos were gathered on the sea shore to offer sacrifice of black bulls to Neptune lord of the Earthquake. There were nine guilds with five hundred men in each, and there were nine bulls to each guild. As they were eating the inward meats and burning the thigh bones [on the embers] in the name of Neptune, Telemachus and his crew arrived, furled their sails, brought their ship to anchor, and went ashore.

Minerva led the way and Telemachus followed her. Presently she said, "Telemachus, you must not be in the least shy or nervous; you have taken this voyage to try and find out where your father is buried and how he came by his end; so go straight up to Nestor that we may see what he has got to tell us. Beg of him to speak the truth, and he will tell no lies, for he is an excellent person."

"But how, Mentor," replied Telemachus, "dare I go up to Nestor, and how am I to address him? I have never yet been used to holding long conversations with people, and am ashamed to begin questioning one who is so much older than myself."

So boring!

• Options
    There's pretty much no level on which the Birth Of A Nation comparison to Half Life works, sorry. One is important but (arguably) too dated, the other is important and indisputably extremely racist. You're comparing apples and Klan propaganda.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The original Half Life is still very good, but Half Life 2 is definitely an inferior game. For me it mostly comes down to the AI and the weapons. If fighting enemies doesn't feel fun in your fps, then you've made a poor fps.

One thing that surprised me about HL2 is that it seemed like the AI was less advanced? I remember standing around a corner and blowing moops away as they ran to get me, where in the original I remember the AI just holding out if you tried that

• Options
    Half Life 3
    Tube wrote: »

One thing that surprised me about HL2 is that it seemed like the AI was less advanced? I remember standing around a corner and blowing moops away as they ran to get me, where in the original I remember the AI just holding out if you tried that

yeah this is pretty well-documented, the HL2 AI is very obviously dumber and easier than the HL1 soldier AI

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Team Fortress 3
    There's youtube videos that go into detail, apparently the HL2 AI was the same or better. But the bigger, more open map design and the garbled squad voices meant that it was never shown off in the same way as it was in HL1 when you fought the soldiers.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Portal 3
    Brolo wrote: »
    The Odyssey and Iliad were bad poems.
    But as the sun was rising from the fair sea into the firmament of heaven to shed light on mortals and immortals, they reached Pylos the city of Neleus. Now the people of Pylos were gathered on the sea shore to offer sacrifice of black bulls to Neptune lord of the Earthquake. There were nine guilds with five hundred men in each, and there were nine bulls to each guild. As they were eating the inward meats and burning the thigh bones [on the embers] in the name of Neptune, Telemachus and his crew arrived, furled their sails, brought their ship to anchor, and went ashore.

Minerva led the way and Telemachus followed her. Presently she said, "Telemachus, you must not be in the least shy or nervous; you have taken this voyage to try and find out where your father is buried and how he came by his end; so go straight up to Nestor that we may see what he has got to tell us. Beg of him to speak the truth, and he will tell no lies, for he is an excellent person."

"But how, Mentor," replied Telemachus, "dare I go up to Nestor, and how am I to address him? I have never yet been used to holding long conversations with people, and am ashamed to begin questioning one who is so much older than myself."

So boring!

depending on the translation, yeah, that's sometimes true

Henry Fielding spent a significant portion of Joseph Andrews having a laugh at bad translations of the odyssey

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/
    The Literature Club is full of cute girls! Will you write the way into their heart? This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed.

I need people to talk with about this. Trust me on this one, it's worth your time. And don't look anything up, because you WILL be spoiled.

It's free, by the way.

I've played this and loved it! But yeah, I'd recommend people take the content warnings to heart.

I'd love some discussion on it, though.
    Just Monika.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    Portal 3
    There's pretty much no level on which the Birth Of A Nation comparison to Half Life works, sorry. One is important but (arguably) too dated, the other is important and indisputably extremely racist. You're comparing apples and Klan propaganda.

feel free to pick another dated movie that is considered important by certain wonks, I'm not married to the comparison

• Options
    Half Life 3
    you know what game from that era of early 3D first person shooters doesn't hold up very well? Unreal.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Portal 3
    you know what game from that era of early 3D first person shooters doesn't hold up very well? Unreal.

it has that one scripted sequence, though!

• Options

feel free to pick another dated movie that is considered important by certain wonks, I'm not married to the comparison

You could probably say Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I feel that way about Blade Runner. Any reference to Birth Of A Nation is going to be indelibly stained with "...wait, the Klan movie?"

• Options
    Half Life 3

Anything staring Henry Fonda in a John Ford movie?

• Options
    Portal 3
    Thetheroo wrote: »

the only John Ford movies I've seen are Stagecoach and The Searchers, and I thought they held up

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I think that the hl2 ai is technically a bit smarter and more complicated than hl1, but they changed some behaviours which just mean that that never gets to shine. Like, the hl2 soldiers can just strafe and shoot accurately, so they never really need to do anything else. hl1 soldiers ran reall fast, but only shot when they stood still, so they were constantly running from place to place and cover to cover. hl2 soldiers are just slow and plodding, and they all speak in a weird distorted voice so none of their moves are telegraphed.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Half Life 3
    Thetheroo wrote: »

the only John Ford movies I've seen are Stagecoach and The Searchers, and I thought they held up

I seem to recall being skeeved out by some bits in The Searchers but I was mainly talking about Drums Along the Mohawk

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

You could probably say Citizen Kane or Casablanca. I feel that way about Blade Runner. Any reference to Birth Of A Nation is going to be indelibly stained with "...wait, the Klan movie?"

Citizen Kane, sure. Casablanca is wonderful and holds up and I will defend it to my death.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Ketar wrote: »

Citizen Kane, sure. Casablanca is wonderful and holds up and I will defend it to my death.

I saw it in a theater this very summer

That's a funny-ass movie

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I loved the garbled voice comms of the Combine soldiers, the combination of dense lingo and voice distortion made them seem very real

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Half Life 3
    There's youtube videos that go into detail, apparently the HL2 AI was the same or better. But the bigger, more open map design and the garbled squad voices meant that it was never shown off in the same way as it was in HL1 when you fought the soldiers.

The level design for Half-Life 2 actually hampered the AI in some ways. The fantastic HL2 mod Minerva (which got Adam Foster, the mod maker, a job at Valve) did not modify the AI, but the level design allowed the AI to utilize multiple paths to flank the player and attack them in ways that makes it feel like the AI has been improved upon from the base HL2 game.

Though honestly what I think is an even greater achievement is how big he made the maps. Even when Half-Life 2 was brand-new, I found running into constant loading screens to be annoying, especially when it felt like I had only spent a few minutes since the last one.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Actually when I say I loved the Combine voice comms I mean I was actually obsessed with them, digging into the sounds files and trying to piece together narrative from it

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    half-life is the Fallout of shooters

• Options
    Half Life 3
    the dark souls of births of a nation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the dark souls of births of a nation

you've read my fanfic, I see

• Options
    Half Life 3
    you wrote "the unbirth of a nation: also an mpreg story"? I'm a huge fan

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/
    The Literature Club is full of cute girls! Will you write the way into their heart? This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed.

I need people to talk with about this. Trust me on this one, it's worth your time. And don't look anything up, because you WILL be spoiled.

It's free, by the way.

I've played this and loved it! But yeah, I'd recommend people take the content warnings to heart.

I'd love some discussion on it, though.
    Just Monika.
    I was never unsettled to the point of literal tears until this game came along.
    Also, I think it wouldn't have worked half as well if the writing in the leadup wasn't so surprisingly solid. This game actually sold me on the appeal of visual novels outside Phoenix Wright and the Zero Escape series.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Half Life 2 is my favorite single player fps still. Nothing else really comes close for me.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Halfife 2 was one of those games you could really point to as a monumental "point" in first person shooter history. For lots of reasons.

I still chuckle to this day though at the way combine soldiers drop like a sack of potatoes when their hp runs out, even if youre shooting them in the foot.

This discussion has been closed.