Options

STEAMY SUMMER

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3

WBxeqjQ.jpg

LG0KulT.jpg

I usually like Musterbrand's stuff, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Like I'm not entirely happy with the look in general, but also it kinda seems like a cross between M Bison and a Nazi officer?

are the Officio Prefectus supposed to be good guys in 40k lore?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im guessing they are just a slightly different flavor of facist

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I usually like Musterbrand's stuff, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Like I'm not entirely happy with the look in general, but also it kinda seems like a cross between M Bison and a Nazi officer?

I feel like if you wear that anywhere outside of a convention, most people looking at it would assume you're part of the alt-right.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Portal 3
    Look. It's not a commisar without a commissars hat. A commissars hat has a ridiculously large peak. This to provide room for the equally ridiculously large commissars badge.
    Worrying about enemy snipers is for lesser men.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There are no good guys in 40k lore, and the closest you get certainly aren't humans

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know people who make similar looks work, but those particular colours, that logo? It's very nazi-chic. I think it's ill advised.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

They are not. The nazi-ish look is entirely intentional.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Portal 3
    Tube wrote: »
    I know people who make similar looks work, but those particular colours, that logo? It's very nazi-chic. I think it's ill advised.

It does need more tingle-tangle to give more of a 19th century vibe. "Understated" is not in the imperial dictionary.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    half life 2 is a game i played when the orange box came out, felt it was too predictable and got bored of it pretty quickly. the episodes were quite a bit better though.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar
    The commisars job is to execute troops who try to run away!

Also I think they should reveal that chaos was the real good guys the whole time.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    hl2 was pretty monumentous at the time, although a lot of the design seemed like they were still figuring things out a long way into the development process, and the episodes, while not as new, are where they really managed to actually refine what they were going for

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Half Life 3
    warhammer 40k humans are absolutely nazis

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Portal 3
    Uriel wrote: »
    The commisars job is to execute troops who try to run away!

No no no. Their job is to insure that all troops fulfill their duty to the emperor, which is mostly done by executing those who fail to do so. There are so many more way to do so than running away from the emperors enemies. Heresy, dereliction of duty (also heresy), failure to obey orders (which is heresy), failure to maintain your imperium-provided gear (definitely considered heresy), failure to profess your unshakable faith in the emperor (that's heresy too) and cowardice. Which might be heresy as well.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Team Fortress 3
    Those are cool but there's not enough skulls. Also, I don't like the red cuffs, I think they'd get dirty real easy. editedit-oh, they're not cuffs, they're folded up and you roll them down a bit. They look nicer shorter.
    edit- really, while I can get behind the idea, it gives me off brand vibes. I'd rather wear a Supermang shirt than that as my inner nerd would be nitpicking it all day long.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    I like that the male model in that photo looks very uncomfortable dressed like that.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, if you change the red to orange and hike the hem up a few inches, that looks very much like my high school marching band uniform.

I...may have played the bass drum for nazis, you guys.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    need more skulls, and a powerfist.

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar
    My imperial guard cosplay guide

1. Helmet (olive drab)
    2. Tee shirt
    3. Maglite

Done

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    This seems like more of a poetry club than a literature club

I was sold a bill of goods

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Speaking of 40k, apparently there's going to be a Dawn of War 3 free weekend of some sort?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Half Life 3
    Ah

There it is

• Options
    Half Life 3
    Yeah, this is getting kinda real

I'm not too sure I want to finish this after I completed my first route

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, if you change the red to orange and hike the hem up a few inches, that looks very much like my high school marching band uniform.

I...may have played the bass drum for nazis, you guys.

Did you have skulls and eagles on your marching band uniform

• Options
    Half Life 3
    Kept going and got a notification that I unlocked a "special poem"

I think I need to take a break

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    warhammer 40k humans are absolutely nazis

I just remembered my dad looking at W40k figurines outside a shop in Munich and going, "those guys look like tiny Nazis"

And my 13-year-old friend who was into Warhammer, "yes, they do"

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    on the subject of cosplay

any go-to sites for costumes? I mean, I could buy from wal-mart, party city, or whatever, but I'm curious what better options exist. In particular, I'm considering something Assassin's Creedy

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar

WBxeqjQ.jpg

LG0KulT.jpg

There's not really such a thing as "good guys"

EDIT: Oh whoops this has already been addressed

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    Tamin wrote: »
    on the subject of cosplay

any go-to sites for costumes? I mean, I could buy from wal-mart, party city, or whatever, but I'm curious what better options exist. In particular, I'm considering something Assassin's Creedy

Well, the Ubisoft Workshop sells Assassin's Creed clothing, some of which could very well work for cosplay purposes.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Literature Club
    As somebody who has struggled with clinical depression for the vast majority of my life, the stuff with Sayori near the end of the first route really hit home. Yowch.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/
    The Literature Club is full of cute girls! Will you write the way into their heart? This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed.

I need people to talk with about this. Trust me on this one, it's worth your time. And don't look anything up, because you WILL be spoiled.

It's free, by the way.

I've played this and loved it! But yeah, I'd recommend people take the content warnings to heart.

I'd love some discussion on it, though.
    Just Monika.
    I was never unsettled to the point of literal tears until this game came along.
    Also, I think it wouldn't have worked half as well if the writing in the leadup wasn't so surprisingly solid. This game actually sold me on the appeal of visual novels outside Phoenix Wright and the Zero Escape series.

Literature Club (Whole thing)
    Yeah, the horror section was really effective, to the point where I had to physically move my laptop farther away from me at times, but I almost have to mourn the "Normal Visual Novel" that never was. The writing was good and the poetry gimmick was kinda fun. Although when Monika noted later on how one-dimensional and stereotypical the other girls were, I kinda had to call bs on her, because the writing was well on its way to subverting some character tropes before it turned into a horror game. And I have to say, it didn't really turn into a horror game right away after the Sayori part, at least for me. I thought it was going to go the way of the glitches being problems with the MC's memories, or their regrets, and the story would be more of a message about guilt and depression or something. As it is, the game kinda used a fairly realistic portrayal of depression and suicide as window dressing for their horror game, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

That being said, I did have a flash drive sitting around unused, so now Monika lives there. :razz:

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wonder how many games everyone considers to be a critical and commercial success and has a lot of respect for were either financial failures for the company or just "didnt meet expectations" whatever that arbitrary number happens to be

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean, DS2 has a fucking 87 on metacritic and is considered in retrospect one of the finest horror actions games ever made and apparently 4 million fucking copies sold wasn't good enough

I don't know what big name production companies think is realistic here

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I mean, DS2 has a fucking 87 on metacritic and is considered in retrospect one of the finest horror actions games ever made and apparently 4 million fucking copies sold wasn't good enough

I don't know what big name production companies think is realistic here

I think investors basically look at gta and cod and go "make that kind of money for us"

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cod isn't even making cod money anymore

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    if they sold 4 million copies at $60 a pop that means it grossed something like $240 million, right? Maybe it had a ridiculous 200 million dollar marketing campaign? Or maybe the executives' expectations were square-enix western studio levels of bullshit.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I also think that while red dead 2 will sell gangbusters, it wont have the same insane online legs as GTAV, mainly because people play that who dont even touch the single player, and treat it like a Second Life kind of sim, the modern setting helps a lot in selling it. Ie, people like to buy clothes, cars and apartments and such to show off with their friends, and they are willing to pay LOADS of a real money to do so, in a way that I dont think the old west theme will be able to match.

Thats my hunch anyway

Prohass on
  • Options
    if they sold 4 million copies at $60 a pop that means it grossed something like $240 million, right? Maybe it had a ridiculous 200 million dollar marketing campaign? Or maybe the executives' expectations were square-enix western studio levels of bullshit.

A lot of those sales might not have been full price, and they only get a cut of that 60, thats the retail price. Its likely that it was still profitable though, its just they wanted more blood drawn

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    wonder if any other well known companies will take the konami route and just pivot fulltime to gambling

i mean, probably not so much, because currently you can get away with way more under the guise of videogames because it's "not technically gambling", but i do wonder

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Team Fortress 3
    Prohass wrote: »
    I also think that while red dead 2 will sell gangbusters, it wont have the same insane online legs as GTAV, mainly because people play that who dont even touch the single player, and treat it like a Second Life kind of sim, the modern setting helps a lot in selling it. Ie, people like to buy clothes, cars and apartments and such to show off with their friends, and they are willing to pay LOADS of a real money to do so, in a way that I dont think the old west theme will be able to match.

Thats my hunch anyway
    What if...

Red Dead Redemption Online?

This discussion has been closed.