Options

Penny Arcade October [chat] Spooktacular

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I want to play more pyre

but I don't want to play fantasy basketball it was really just a chore

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I should rate all games based on how emotional they made me.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

What are the sevens?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i should probably eat lunch

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

What are the sevens?

The sevens?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    it's interesting to see these NBA and MLB franchises get involved in esports

could be a very different scene in a couple years

I'm glad they already kicked out the sixers team, because smart.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am eating lunch. One of the first times I have been able to not be in a meeting today.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't know why we are hating on Timberland for speaking the truth.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

they just brought in the Yankees tho

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

Honestly reading an article about this, it feels kind of shit how they are deciding who gets to be in and who doesn't.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Honestly reading an article about this, it feels kind of shit how they are deciding who gets to be in and who doesn't.

How does the NFL/NBA/MLB decide who gets the expansion teams?

What I'm really concerned about is the lack of a players union given how necessary it is when there's a sole employer

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Oh yeah Pyre. I wanted to play that.... but Mario comes out next week.... ugh.

I'm debating if I want to do digital for Mario. Does amazon send out digital preorder codes on time?

Dunno... We will see with Mario. I had to bite on the Prime Preorder for that one.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Update on recently consumed media:

Saw Spider-Man Homecoming. Was most excellent.

Caught up on Orville. Is surprisingly decent.

Watched a couple episodes of The Gifted. Like The Orville, I liked the real show more than I figured based on previews.

Inhumans.... I struggle to say anything nice about this show. Sometimes it is bad script, bad actors, or bad sets. Often all three at the same time. Am waiting for the show to make the turn around like season 1 of AoS did, but unlike AoS I fucking hate half the cast of Inhumans.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm still real fucking salty about Simcity - Bel and I spend $130 on two release-day copies of it and couldn't play together for like a month, and when we finally could it sucked.

oh yeah and then they started doing goddamn microtransactions for new assets and it started looking like The Sims But Zoomed Out Really Far and fk u EA you bastards

Forget the always online bullshit, my favorite thing about the new Sim City was how EA bragged all about their agent-based city simulation, where there would be real people in your city! With homes and jobs! All the simulation would emerge organically from their decisions isn't that so incredibly cool!

But the agents used way too much CPU power to be viable and the behaviors that emerged didn't make for good gameplay. So they went through a successive series of feature cuts and scalebacks to make the game even function.

First they were simplified to be "representative" of like 100 or so people so the CPU didn't have to iterate over several million people each simulation step.

To save more computing power, they were stripped of all identity other than random names hashed out at runtime. They no longer had homes, jobs, or families, and instead just wandered into to the nearest unoccupied job they qualified for on any given day, hung out for 8 hours, then drove "home" to the nearest dwelling with capacity to hold them. They were like the fkin borg, only without the hive mind. It was creepy as shit.

Property value couldn't be calculated off the agent behavior anymore so it was done with a separate system. Loads of other systems needed the same treatment. They were hastily slapped together.

The borg drones cruising from nearest home to nearest job created unrealistic, difficult to manage traffic issues. And that couldn't be fixed short of removing agents entirely. Which was not possible because the agents were a major marketing point and they had to be visible to the user and shown for animation purposes.

Zoning like a real city didn't work right because everyone tried to live as close to work as possible at the cost of all else. People forced far outside with city would have commutes so long they'd never make it to work before turning around and going home.

The map size and population cap were greatly lowered to paper over the flaws introduced by the behavior simplifications and unconnected city simulation systems mushed together, but it still didn't work. They released this trash fire to the public and the rest is history.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also I've been weirdly preoccupied with death lately, but not in like, a normal way.

More like "I'm going to die, and that's why it's bullshit that I have to have these papers."

My niece is 4 and she recently went through a 2 week phase where she was very death focused. A friend of her father was killed in Afghanistan and a friend of my sister and me lost his father in like a week so that was probably the catalyst.

For instance we drove past a cemetary and she said, "It's so sad." "What's sad?" "All those people died. And they don't get to see their families." (Which she has not connected to my Dad, who she talks to all the time up in Heaven and says she misses all the time even though he died a year before she was born.)

The two funny ones were when she said calmly to my father-in-law in the middle of playing "You're old. You're going to die soon."

And "I have a thought. I don't ever want to die." And while my wife tried to decide how to react to that "Mommy says if I eat my vegetables I won't die."

My son asked a couple of weeks back if I was going to die.

I told him that I absolutely would someday.

He got really excited and asked me if he could have all my stuff.

I'm not sure whether to be proud of horrified.

Dealing with the existential horror that kids go thru at like age 4 or so when they realize they will die someday has been my absolute least favorite part of parenting

#3 still has yet to hit it yet

My son is 5 but still hasn't really had to confront death yet. He just doesn't understand it.

That's why he responded like I was deleting a WoW character

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I mean you’re not obligated to give a game a second look but I thought everyone agreed that hello games handled the fallout like rookies but that the real evil here was pressure from Sony to drop it early.

All I’m saying is that there is a corporation to blame here

I dunno why they lied about stuff in the marketing then. Almost certainly at least partially Sony's fault for pushing it out to market.
    They were literally officially cleared of false advertising charges.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/11/30/13791782/no-mans-sky-false-advertising-results

Yes and I found that to be disgusting and a blow against consumers because the guy straight up lied. Like, no wishy washy statements, he said things were in the game that were not in the game and still aren't in the game to my knowledge. It sucks that they didn't get dinged for that!
    I disagree.

Like, it's abundantly clear that what they released was not what they wanted as the finished product, as evidenced by the constant and occasionally very substantial updates.

Even if we grant that the release lacked something significant that was promised instead of just not living up to expectations, saying they lied to build hype feels totally wrong. Like, it seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of Murray (the other, like, three people at Hello Games didn't really say much) as a person. This game was his pride and joy, something he'd been dreaming about making. He spoke multiple times about how much he dislikes hype, and it seemed clear to me that everything he said was due to his own enthusiasm and despite the hype it would create, rather than because of it.

I'm fine with people being disappointed in the game! I can see why they would have expected something else! But accusing Murray of being a ruthless profiteering liar while at the same time saying EA's release was just flawed feels really weird.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also I've been weirdly preoccupied with death lately, but not in like, a normal way.

More like "I'm going to die, and that's why it's bullshit that I have to have these papers."

My niece is 4 and she recently went through a 2 week phase where she was very death focused. A friend of her father was killed in Afghanistan and a friend of my sister and me lost his father in like a week so that was probably the catalyst.

For instance we drove past a cemetary and she said, "It's so sad." "What's sad?" "All those people died. And they don't get to see their families." (Which she has not connected to my Dad, who she talks to all the time up in Heaven and says she misses all the time even though he died a year before she was born.)

The two funny ones were when she said calmly to my father-in-law in the middle of playing "You're old. You're going to die soon."

And "I have a thought. I don't ever want to die." And while my wife tried to decide how to react to that "Mommy says if I eat my vegetables I won't die."

My son asked a couple of weeks back if I was going to die.

I told him that I absolutely would someday.

He got really excited and asked me if he could have all my stuff.

I'm not sure whether to be proud of horrified.

Dealing with the existential horror that kids go thru at like age 4 or so when they realize they will die someday has been my absolute least favorite part of parenting

#3 still has yet to hit it yet

My son is 5 but still hasn't really had to confront death yet. He just doesn't understand it.

That's why he responded like I was deleting a WoW character

Well, I wish you luck with it.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

What are the sevens?

The sevens?

Out of ten

• Options

What I'm really concerned about is the lack of a players union given how necessary it is when there's a sole employer

I believe there's a process. But like I joked about them kicking out the sixers team, but they had been in the league since its inception and now they just aren't? And other teams are getting shown the door, while the yankees are invited in. It feels hinky.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    im still so fkin exhausted. boss is out and contractor hasn't managed to fuck up yet this week. think this is gonna be a day where I listen to music on youtube and try not to fall asleep while strategically sending out a couple emails thru the day to give the appearance of getting a lot done.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I mean you’re not obligated to give a game a second look but I thought everyone agreed that hello games handled the fallout like rookies but that the real evil here was pressure from Sony to drop it early.

I dunno why they lied about stuff in the marketing then. Almost certainly at least partially Sony's fault for pushing it out to market.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/11/30/13791782/no-mans-sky-false-advertising-results

Yes and I found that to be disgusting and a blow against consumers because the guy straight up lied. Like, no wishy washy statements, he said things were in the game that were not in the game and still aren't in the game to my knowledge. It sucks that they didn't get dinged for that!
    I disagree.

Like, it's abundantly clear that what they released was not they wanted as the finished product, as evidenced by the constant and occasionally very substantial updates.

Even if we grant that the release lacked something significant that was promised instead of just not living up to expectations, saying they lied to build hype feels totally wrong. Like, it seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of Murray (the other, like, three people at Hello Games didn't really say much) as a person. This game was his pride and joy, something he'd been dreaming about making. He spoke multiple times about how much he dislikes hype, and it seemed clear to me that everything he said was due to his own enthusiasm and despite the hype it would create, rather than because of it.

I'm fine with people being disappointed in the game! I can see why they would have expected something else! But accusing Murray of being a ruthless profiteering liar while at the same time saying EA's release was just flawed feels really weird.
    I feel like false advertising in this sense would be someone saying Hey play our game Battlefield duty of Murder and then showing a bunch of call of duty gameplay and cut scenes.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Wrong, I'm totino's pizza boy

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod

What are the sevens?

The sevens?

Out of ten
    The sevens are the games that made me jerk it a few times.

>.>

<.<

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I disagree.

Like, it's abundantly clear that what they released was not they wanted as the finished product, as evidenced by the constant and occasionally very substantial updates.

Hey if he disliked hype he shouldn't have gone on talk shows and repeatedly lied about what was in the game. It seems highly unlikely he didn't know the things he was saying weren't gonna happen, but he said them anyway. What they released may not have been what they wanted, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they lied to consumers about it. And not in a "oh that was a year ago and changes have been made" kind of way, but in a "the game comes out next month and major features you're talking about in PR events aren't actually in the game" kind of way. I don't know why they'd do that other than to get people excited about the game. When the game came out and people tested out things like navigating to the same planet and seeing if multi worked their response was like "Wow people did that already? That's amazing!" and totally ignored the reason for people being upset about it.

SimCity is an entirely different beast and I definitely agree that it had huge major problems. I enjoyed the opening hours of it and then quickly hit a wall where I couldn't enjoy it further. Nothing to do with my opinion about Hello Games being shitty with their PR.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    The very first thing I did when I started playing PUBG was turn off voice chat. I found out my friend has been playing with it enabled for weeks.

I still don't understand why

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I disagree.

I feel like false advertising in this sense would be someone saying Hey play our game Battlefield duty of Murder and then showing a bunch of call of duty gameplay and cut scenes.
    The article lists the specific claims and what the agency found in its review.

It's an interesting read for how that stuff gets evaluated!

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    The very first thing I did when I started playing PUBG was turn off voice chat. I found out my friend has been playing with it enabled for weeks.

I still don't understand why

Because he's also someone yelling CHINA NJUMBER ONE

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    7EfphRf.jpg

It bugs me, a lot, that the artist was too lazy to draw God's thumb, so the picture looks like God is right swiping, and then just said "left swipe" in a text bubble.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They likely could've have worked out a "watch your sims!" system if it was limited to a few hundred people no problem ezpz, then modeled everything else virtually.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Adoption is such a shit show. It's especially a shit show if you want an infant.
    So many agencies bar us at the door because they want a statement of faith and apparently "hail satan" doesn't count

I joke because I don't have the capacity to go into a rant about all of the other bullshit. All this aside, I'm going into this with a lot of trepidation, whereas Chelle is full gung ho, so these bullshit gates and barriers are really getting to her especially.

You want to blow a baby into someone and raise it but you're also a heroin addict or a republican? No problem! Nobody even checks on you unless someone complains.

You want to adopt a baby? Well sit down because you're getting probed.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Does maxis/ea own a trademark/copyright on "sims" to the point no one can really use it to describe their product?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    7EfphRf.jpg

It bugs me, a lot, that the artist was too lazy to draw God's thumb, so the picture looks like God is right swiping, and then just said "left swipe" in a text bubble.

THATS SAINT PETER NOT GOD

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    GOD HAS NO COMPREHENSIBLE FORM

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm still real fucking salty about Simcity - Bel and I spend $130 on two release-day copies of it and couldn't play together for like a month, and when we finally could it sucked.

oh yeah and then they started doing goddamn microtransactions for new assets and it started looking like The Sims But Zoomed Out Really Far and fk u EA you bastards

Forget the always online bullshit, my favorite thing about the new Sim City was how EA bragged all about their agent-based city simulation, where there would be real people in your city! With homes and jobs! All the simulation would emerge organically from their decisions isn't that so incredibly cool!

But the agents used way too much CPU power to be viable and the behaviors that emerged didn't make for good gameplay. So they went through a successive series of feature cuts and scalebacks to make the game even function.

First they were simplified to be "representative" of like 100 or so people so the CPU didn't have to iterate over several million people each simulation step.

To save more computing power, they were stripped of all identity other than random names hashed out at runtime. They no longer had homes, jobs, or families, and instead just wandered into to the nearest unoccupied job they qualified for on any given day, hung out for 8 hours, then drove "home" to the nearest dwelling with capacity to hold them. They were like the fkin borg, only without the hive mind. It was creepy as shit.

Property value couldn't be calculated off the agent behavior anymore so it was done with a separate system. Loads of other systems needed the same treatment. They were hastily slapped together.

The borg drones cruising from nearest home to nearest job created unrealistic, difficult to manage traffic issues. And that couldn't be fixed short of removing agents entirely. Which was not possible because the agents were a major marketing point and they had to be visible to the user and shown for animation purposes.

Zoning like a real city didn't work right because everyone tried to live as close to work as possible at the cost of all else. People forced far outside with city would have commutes so long they'd never make it to work before turning around and going home.

The map size and population cap were greatly lowered to paper over the flaws introduced by the behavior simplifications and unconnected city simulation systems mushed together, but it still didn't work. They released this trash fire to the public and the rest is history.

It was sillier than that. If it was just every agent being 100 or so people on the population count, the population count would still be useful to gauging city size.

Instead they used some nonlinear system to prevent the fudging from being too obvious at lower population sizes.
    simcity.GetFudgedPopulation = function (a) {
        a = "undefined" !== typeof a ? a : simcity.gGlobalUIHandler.mLastPopulation;
        if (500 >= a)
            return a;
        if (40845 < a)
            return Math.floor(8.25 * a);
        a = Math.pow(a - 500, 1.2) + 500;
        return Math.floor(a)
    };

• Options

eSports is a wild west of stupid bullshit and the DotA scene especially is less organized than a high school group project with oversized groups because we can't afford more lab stations due to educational funding cuts, THANKS LOUISIANA.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    7EfphRf.jpg

THATS SAINT PETER NOT GOD

You're saint peter

gotem

I ate an engineer
  • Options

you have no comprehensible form

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Someone post God’s butt.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Adoption is such a shit show. It's especially a shit show if you want an infant.
    So many agencies bar us at the door because they want a statement of faith and apparently "hail satan" doesn't count

I joke because I don't have the capacity to go into a rant about all of the other bullshit. All this aside, I'm going into this with a lot of trepidation, whereas Chelle is full gung ho, so these bullshit gates and barriers are really getting to her especially.

You want to blow a baby into someone and raise it but you're also a heroin addict or a republican? No problem! Nobody even checks on you unless someone complains.

You want to adopt a baby? Well sit down because you're getting probed.

How do you guys feel about surrogacy? It's usually "cheaper" and super less bullshit than infant adoption.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    They likely could've have worked out a "watch your sims!" system if it was limited to a few hundred people no problem ezpz, then modeled everything else virtually.

Didn't City Skylines implement exactly this? Like, I could follow a guy that went from the same home to his same job. And then eventually when he got too old, he would die. I think early on their were problems where a whole generation would just die off pretty much at the same time and the cemeteries couldn't handle the load.

The death waves! :biggrin:

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.