Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Preloading from your ivory towers

Some of us have to wait for the mailcarrier

What did you say? Can't hear you from all the way up here. ;)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Two more days. Review embargo lifts tomorrow morning. Place your bets now if it will beat Breath of the Wild on Gamerankings/Metacritic.

Either way Nintendo will have a hell of a holiday season with that Odyssey bundle if they can keep them in stock.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

It's freedom like you never kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Two more days. Review embargo lifts tomorrow morning. Place your bets now if it will beat Breath of the Wild on Gamerankings/Metacritic.

Either way Nintendo will have a hell of a holiday season with that Odyssey bundle if they can keep them in stock.

I don't think it will

I think it'll be a much, much better game though

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Breath of the Wild is... 97% on Metacritic (96 on Wii U) and... 97% on GameRankings. I think Mario gets there. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 96-98, but I will be floored if it's less than 95%.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I feel like Zelda had the advantage of being different from the Zelda formula.

We're pretty sure what we're gonna get with the new Mario, we just want what this Mario seems to be.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It would be cool to jump a 100 years in the future and see if Mario is still around.

• Options
    A decaying, overgrown Mushroom Kingdom?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It would be cool to jump a 100 years in the future and see if Mario is still around.

I'm sure he will be in some fashion. He's sort of the Mickey Mouse of the industry.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

We're pretty sure what we're gonna get with the new Mario, we just want what this Mario seems to be.

Honestly, this game seems different from the Mario formula too. Instead of closely defined courses with a few stars each, we're getting big worlds loaded with secret stars.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It is all about open worlds now.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have no idea how open world it'll be, if it even is technically "open world". But what I'm basically expecting is something along the lines of 64 or Sunshine, with those styles of levels and hubs, only larger and with the added tweak that it doesn't boot you out of the level every time you collect a star.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    It is all about open worlds now.

it's freedom like you never kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Honestly, this game seems different from the Mario formula too. Instead of closely defined courses with a few stars each, we're getting big worlds loaded with secret stars.

If the game is still collecting stars throughout various platforming tasks and opening up new worlds based upon the stars collected and then collecting more stars it's still the same formula we know and love just with new evolutions and upgrades. The world being bigger and more open isn't the formula changing. Like BotW could have had the same world it does but also stuck to the Zelda formula within that world, but it did not.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like screenshots are blocked for people who might have the game early. Which hopefully should make it easier to avoid spoilers

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like screenshots are blocked for people who might have the game early. Which hopefully should make it easier to avoid spoilers

Fortunately, cameras haven't been invented yet.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

If the game is still collecting stars throughout various platforming tasks and opening up new worlds based upon the stars collected and then collecting more stars it's still the same formula we know and love just with new evolutions and upgrades. The world being bigger and more open isn't the formula changing. Like BotW could have had the same world it does but also stuck to the Zelda formula within that world, but it did not.

I'd argue it's different, because for the most part you have zero indication what will get you a star and what won't. I could see that leading to loads of BotW-style experimentation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    From what I hear, they've just turned Mario Moons into Korok Seeds.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'm sure there'll be one or two "how the hell was I supposed to know that?" moons (there always are in any game), but I hope there aren't an abundance that are like that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It's freedom like you never kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

"Hoveround!" (Hoveround!) (Hoveround!)

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm sure there'll be one or two "how the hell was I supposed to know that?" moons (there always are in any game), but I hope there aren't an abundance that are like that.

I think there are going to be MANY moons like this. They're everywhere, and from what's been reported on podcasts and such, they can be super obscure and well-hidden. I think it's a good thing, in a way - stuff to see in every nook and cranny of the world - but for a completionist who doesn't want to be cross-referencing with guides constantly, it may be a lot to handle.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I think there are going to be MANY moons like this. They're everywhere, and from what's been reported on podcasts and such, they can be super obscure and well-hidden. I think it's a good thing, in a way - stuff to see in every nook and cranny of the world - but for a completionist who doesn't want to be cross-referencing with guides constantly, it may be a lot to handle.

*Chews on Switch in excitement*

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »

*Chews on Switch in excitement*

Just dont chew on the cartridges. If you do you could.. well.. it's too unspeakably horrible to mention here but you'd have my sympathies during such an occasion.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The cartridges taste kind of bad. Don't hype them too much.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I only buy digital anyway. XD

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I only buy digital anyway. XD

You could always lick the game's icon on your TV screen.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    milski wrote: »
    The cartridges taste kind of bad. Don't hype them too much.

It is the devils anal secretion and will probably kill you on contact with your tongue.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

He will, as he's an undying possession monster who simply jumps to a new host when said host is at it's end.

There are no more game overs for Mario now.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options

He will, as he's an undying possession monster who simply jumps to a new host when said host is at it's end.

There are no more game overs for Mario now.

And he doesn't let you forget it either. He announces himself everywhere he goes. "It's-a-me.....Mario." This cry signals your doom.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I have deep seated questions about the whole possession mechanic. Especially when it comes to possessing other humans. Are they still in control? Is Mario in control? Are they trapped in a nightmarish hell where they can neither move nor speak while Mario whatever the fuck he wants with their body?

I'm starting to think that this game is secretly horror themed. Releasing so close to Halloween is hardly a coincidence either.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mario is the lord, the power above

Let him work through you

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    My local game store tweeted that they have permission to sell Odyssey at 10:01 pm Thursday. So much for ivory towers.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My local game store tweeted that they have permission to sell Odyssey at 10:01 pm Thursday. So much for ivory towers.

I just preloaded. I can wait.

...I can wait.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Got my Switch & pro controller delivered today in preparation for Odyssey. Already have Zelda for the Wii U.
    So this is pretty much going to be my only Switch game until Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out.

• Options
    If you like golf, Golf Story is pretty good so far.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular

I just preloaded. I can wait.

...I can wait.

Narrator voice: He could not.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    when's the review embargo up?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."