As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'll put in spoilers just in case but about the Bowser boss battle
    how do you guys reliably avoid his 360 fire breath attack after you finish a hat punch combo?

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    There are moons in hat kingdom I assume you need a paragoomba for but how do you get one that ascends?

Not paragoombas, something else!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    There are moons in hat kingdom I assume you need a paragoomba for but how do you get one that ascends?

You don't.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    how do you guys reliably avoid his 360 fire breath attack after you finish a hat punch combo?

Staying as far away as I could and jumping over it worked like... 60% of the time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

You don't.
    Fly to the Paragoomba's highest elevation, then go onto the highest ledge you can reach. Now jump and start flying again, you can now go higher.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

You don't.
    Fly to the Paragoomba's highest elevation, then go onto the highest ledge you can reach. Now jump and start flying again, you can now go higher.

Still can't go high enough to reach those moons, though.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You don't.

If its moon #2 you just
    use a frog with an extra shake to get an extra boost.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

You don't.

If its moon #2 you just

Bah those wings caused me to forget the obvious solution

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I beat Bowser and I am now in the post game.
    There is something up with those moon blocks. I wonder if it will be explained.

Who made them?

Did you leave the post-game area and go to another kingdom yet? Cappy will comment.
    Nobody made them really. I think it is implied they just fell from the moon and thus contain lots more moons to collect.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They're Goddess Cubes.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    They are the shattered remains of the Death Star.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Wait a minute!
    Who accidentally put some Dark Souls in my Mario?!?!?

Talk about a hard shift in art style!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

You don't.

If its moon #2 you just

Bah those wings caused me to forget the obvious solution

Yep I had the same problem and actually had to look it up the other day if it makes you feel better.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Do the back jump every time and you will clear it easily every single time. You will also land facing the correct direction to back jump the next one. Out of the few times I did that battle that is one attack that literally never hit me doing it this way.

• Options
    Back jump? Are you talking about the crouch jump that flips you backwards or run forward then hit back+jump?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Do the back jump every time and you will clear it easily every single time. You will also land facing the correct direction to back jump the next one. Out of the few times I did that battle that is one attack that literally never hit me doing it this way.
    I can't say I ever had a problem jumping over that fire attack. A normal jump was enough. I just had to make sure I was far enough away from the first blast of it so I had enough reaction time to jump over it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I used the reverse direction jump instead to side flip over it. Run in the same direction as the sweep, and when it catches up, reverse direction and jump. Repeat.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i feel trying to come to grips with the lore timeline of the Mario universe is akin to drilling your head

Nintendo is amazing at simultaneously honoring and ignoring its history-- this is literally the third time (at least) we've been to this city, and it's had a different name each time.
    skeldare wrote: »
    Aww man, I wanna meet Mario!

Mario is a jerk in person, sad to say. He couldn't even stop dabbing for 2 minutes to take a picture, and when he did he just stared off in some random direction with his drunk ass. I asked him for an autograph and he just stared at his hands, looked back up at me, and then walked off. I came back up to him later thinking maybe he didn't hear me and he threw his hat at me, stopped and stood there as if he were waiting for something to happen, and then ran off. Never meet your heroes, kids.

Mario is alright; it's Sonic you have to watch out for:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dt69vB7CoDM

ahahahaha what the hell was that? I kept expecting Danica to launch into some kind of skit with sonic about speed envy but no, just sonic randomly assaulting someone during a promo event.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    250 moons:
    Reached the Broodal gauntlet but haven't beaten it yet.

Am I safe to read all the spoilers now or are more surprises coming?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    250 stars:
    Reached the Broodal gauntlet but haven't beaten it yet.

Am I safe to read all the spoilers now or are more surprises coming?

If you only have 250 stars at that point there are probably a ton more surprises that you just overlooked in earlier levels. Here is one, which is a spoiler probably for some, that I guess was something you could do the first time you visit New Donk City, but I found after getting like 600 stars:

I would say don't worry about it at this point though. There's another thing you unlock at 500 stars but it's not a big surprise IMO.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Wood Zone: Treasure Made from Coins
    so there's a plant sproutling and a bunch of coins that can't be picked up scattered around it
    don't tell me what do directly, but it is obvious and I'm dumb/will see it immediately tomorrow?
    or it is tricky?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Wood Zone: Treasure Made from Coins
    so there's a plant sproutling and a bunch of coins that can't be picked up scattered around it
    don't tell me what do directly, but it is obvious and I'm dumb/will see it immediately tomorrow?
    or it is tricky?
    Ask yourself why there would be coins that can't be picked up.

Second spoiler, still oblique but may lead you in the right direction
    there's more than just a T-Rex down there.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i may not have read all of that
    is it tricky

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Not especially. Although I myself stumbled onto it completely by accident so...

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Wait a minute!
    Who accidentally put some Dark Souls in my Mario?!?!?

Talk about a hard shift in art style!

It's definitely the best 'Nintendo don't give a fuck' moment in this game. It's almost silly how suddenly the tone shifts.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Good lord... trying to beat the gold koopa in the Woodland Kingdom race is going to fucking kill me. I can almost reliably beat him to his shortcut spot that bypasses the maze, but I can't replicate that jump reliably. I just butt pound down into the pit.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    And I just wrapped up the main game earlier tonight.

Outside of a few sequences that got a bit frustrating when it didn't feel like the camera was quite keeping up it was an absolute joy and even the more annoying bits could be made manageable to switching to assist mode for a bit. I do somewhat agree with what a few people who wished for a more focused experience have said as the normal Mario controls generally felt better than the capped enemy controls but it was still fun to suddenly view the enemies we've been stomping and hurting for 30 some years as a resource to be utilized instead.

There were many times this past week where I intended to only sit down and play for 10 or 20 minutes and spent hours instead. There's just so much for a curious player to find and you are frequently rewarded for trying things out. Between this and Breath of the Wild, I'm really enjoying recent Nintendo games rewarding player experimentation like this.

Also, I think this is the first mainline Mario game I've actually finished. Only took me about 30 years (though admittedly I skipped a lot of entries. A LOT.)

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I finished the main story!
    This game almost made me late for work, twice! I kept just... playing it.
    It rewards curiosity, for sure.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    The cubes remind me of the Allspark.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    The more I play this the more it cements itself as GOTY

Insane how Breath of the Wild owned, then got owned

• Options
    I think this game has the best HD rumble so far, especially with the joy cons. Everything feels unique from grabbing coins, the Odyssey's engine, even the thrusters when using the robo binoculars capture.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think this game has the best HD rumble so far, especially with the joy cons. Everything feels unique from grabbing coins, the Odyssey's engine, even the thrusters when using the robo binoculars capture.

Yeah. I am going to have to dock it and get the full feel of the joycons.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm getting none of that.

Is this not a thing when the joycons are snapped to the Plastic Thing?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Yeah I've been playing mostly with the joy cons detached and separated. The rumbling when looking for certain hidden places to ground pound also shifts between the joy cons to act as a sort of dowsing as well.

Also I think I adjusted the rumble strength to normal, I think a lot of the settings were set low as defaults. It's baffling that the camera sensitivity was set to low and thank goodness you can adjust it because when I first got control at the beginning I was going to hate the camera movement.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    First 4 Figures is making a crazy ass Bowser statue. Just regular Bowser, no Tux:

https://youtu.be/vCUvfT8fBa8

edit: ahaha oh my god the video is an hour long. Are they sponsered by GameExplain?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Jesus flipping Christ on a bike! Who spends $700 on a half metre tall Bowser statue?!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Jesus flipping Christ on a bike! Who spends $700 on a half metre tall Bowser statue?!

Very rich, very obsessed nerds. Maybe a game developer or two.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I think BOTW is still my goatee so far, but these two are so far ahead of everything else that it's not really a competition

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »

I think BOTW is still my goatee so far, but these two are so far ahead of everything else that it's not really a competition

Now imagine what a Zelda game that was actually designed for the Switch might be like.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    It's a small touch. But trust Nintendo to give Mario's footsteps a different sound effect if the costume you are wearing doesn't include shoes.