As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So apparently the Frozen Wilds isn't endgame content - it's set for around level 30 and is a kind of side story to the main game.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    HZD is currently $28 with Plus on PSN. I haven't gotten it yet, but that seems like a fantastic price

It’s a shitton of game for $28. A shitton of excellent game.

Well worth that price.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    HZD is currently $28 with Plus on PSN. I haven't gotten it yet, but that seems like a fantastic price

Well worth that price.

Wow, totally. Holy crap that is a great deal.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Frozen Wilds launches tomorrow! Supposedly (I don't think this is a spoiler) it's not so much end-game content as it is mid-game content, which... makes sense, I suppose. [Edit: Just saw the TOTP, ha.] Seems like it would enhance an original playthrough more than enhancing our post-game understanding of the world. And that's okay! It'll be a blast to return to the game. It just may be a little tricky to get myself back into the mindset I had prior to finishing the campaign.

Not actually a Horizon spoiler, but I'll put it behind a tag anyway, for anyone who hasn't played the game and will be jumping in with the DLC attached:
    I always thought it was a little weird that Meridian was basically the only big hub. Or, like, maybe not weird, but... I always thought that the game would have felt even deeper and more fleshed out with another big area to explore and culture to meet, rather than just working through the tendrils extending out from Meridian. I felt that there was more to the world that we maybe should have been able to explore, given the many references to the Banuk and life outside of the gravitational pull of Meridian. So I do tend to think that the game will feel more complete with the Frozen Wilds content in it. I'm not going to do another full playthrough, but I can't wait to meet the Banuk. Horizon was already a 9.5-9.8/10 for me, and this should get it right to 10/10 as a complete package.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Only a few dollars difference, but in the Game Deals thread, apparently an early version of the Target Black Friday ad is out/leaked, and says that HZD will be $25.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Well worth that price.

If you miss this deal or don't have PSN Plus--it can be found on eBay for ~$28 new (likely due to the sale in part), and ~$20 used, which is half the Amazon used price. That's also a fantastic price, as someone who genuinely thinks it is a better game than Breath of the Wild (and that's despite thinking robot dinosaurs, on the face value, are kind of dumb).

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    and that's despite thinking robot dinosaurs, on the face value, are kind of dumb.

Them thar's fightin' words 'round here parts!

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Frozen Wilds launches tomorrow! Supposedly (I don't think this is a spoiler) it's not so much end-game content as it is mid-game content, which... makes sense, I suppose. [Edit: Just saw the TOTP, ha.] Seems like it would enhance an original playthrough more than enhancing our post-game understanding of the world. And that's okay! It'll be a blast to return to the game. It just may be a little tricky to get myself back into the mindset I had prior to finishing the campaign.

Not actually a Horizon spoiler, but I'll put it behind a tag anyway, for anyone who hasn't played the game and will be jumping in with the DLC attached:
    I always thought it was a little weird that Meridian was basically the only big hub. Or, like, maybe not weird, but... I always thought that the game would have felt even deeper and more fleshed out with another big area to explore and culture to meet, rather than just working through the tendrils extending out from Meridian. I felt that there was more to the world that we maybe should have been able to explore, given the many references to the Banuk and life outside of the gravitational pull of Meridian. So I do tend to think that the game will feel more complete with the Frozen Wilds content in it. I'm not going to do another full playthrough, but I can't wait to meet the Banuk. Horizon was already a 9.5-9.8/10 for me, and this should get it right to 10/10 as a complete package.

definitely a spoiler:
    It's only been just under 700 or so years between the time that people leave the Cradle and HZD begins, right? All things considered, there wouldn't be a whole lot of population movement in that time to establish that many "large" population centers. Not to mention the fact that it seemed their expansion efforts to the west hadn't worked out so well (everyone kept getting wiped out, hence why it was forbidden to keep going there). The people who left the Cradle didn't have past experience and culture to build from like our ancestors did. Of course, they could find things, and they received (I'm sure) a basic education from the caretakers within the Cradle; but anything "advanced" was supposed to be taken care of by Apollo. Considering the humans were pretty much "kicked out into the cold" without much warning/preparation, it's actually impressive they weren't wiped out completely to begin with.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    and that's despite thinking robot dinosaurs, on the face value, are kind of dumb.

You know me, Controversy 先生.

Thinking Horizon is better than Breath of the Wild are fighting words too, probably. But I do believe that, in spite of not generally liking robot dinosaurs (though I admit I've played a lot more Horizon).

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »

definitely a spoiler:
    It's only been just under 700 or so years between the time that people leave the Cradle and HZD begins, right? All things considered, there wouldn't be a whole lot of population movement in that time to establish that many "large" population centers. Not to mention the fact that it seemed their expansion efforts to the west hadn't worked out so well (everyone kept getting wiped out, hence why it was forbidden to keep going there). The people who left the Cradle didn't have past experience and culture to build from like our ancestors did. Of course, they could find things, and they received (I'm sure) a basic education from the caretakers within the Cradle; but anything "advanced" was supposed to be taken care of by Apollo. Considering the humans were pretty much "kicked out into the cold" without much warning/preparation, it's actually impressive they weren't wiped out completely to begin with.

Well...
    The first new humans learned how to speak English (and presumably other languages in other places - I seem to recall something like how Project Zero Dawn planned for four primary languages and then to preserve the other languages via Apollo). And they learned basic practices common to most cultures such as "cover your genitals." Beyond that, they don't seem to have learned much at all.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    WolveSight wrote: »

definitely a spoiler:

Well...
    The first new humans learned how to speak English (and presumably other languages in other places - I seem to recall something like how Project Zero Dawn planned for four primary languages and then to preserve the other languages via Apollo). And they learned basic practices common to most cultures such as "cover your genitals." Beyond that, they don't seem to have learned much at all.

It's been months but:
    Wasn't the essentially elementary school section of the training programs all working fine? So that first group would have had maybe a 5th grade education, 700 years ago, before being kicked out into completely uncivilized lands. So maybe that first wave could solve something like 2x+5=y but they probably skipped out on that stuff pretty quick to go fend off robo-dinosaurs and scrounge up some roots to eat.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pre-installeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

It unlocks in 40 minutes but I'll have to wait another 16 hours until after work. Oh well, I only noticed yesterday that it was about to be released.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Thinking Horizon is better than Breath of the Wild are fighting words too, probably. But I do believe that, in spite of not generally liking robot dinosaurs (though I admit I've played a lot more Horizon).

I like me some fighting words. BotW is like two hours of actual game spread thin across a shit-ton of map with a story that, even for a Zelda game, is barely more than a technicality. HZD is a well-crafted and heartfelt world with a hell of a story, with tons of little nuggets of info to find. Not to mention HZD's combat mechanics are built to be fun, interesting, and dynamic instead of irritating and oversimplified.

Plus, the big bad guy in BotW just kinda... exists, whereas the real big bad guy of HZD is somebody whose face you want to punch in the dick. How am I supposed to enjoy saving Hyrule when the bad guy has all the personality of an angry cloud?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I like me some fighting words. BotW is like two hours of actual game spread thin across a shit-ton of map with a story that, even for a Zelda game, is barely more than a technicality. HZD is a well-crafted and heartfelt world with a hell of a story, with tons of little nuggets of info to find. Not to mention HZD's combat mechanics are built to be fun, interesting, and dynamic instead of irritating and oversimplified.

Plus, the big bad guy in BotW just kinda... exists, whereas the real big bad guy of HZD is somebody whose face you want to punch in the dick. How am I supposed to enjoy saving Hyrule when the bad guy has all the personality of an angry cloud?

I didn't get anywhere near that far in either game (all of what I played of Horizon was on a borrowed PS4), so I'm not that qualified in that sense. But I do have to give credit to the game for being so enjoyable despite 1) being open world (which I dislike as much as I like) 2) having robot dinosaurs (already covered that) and 3) being from a developer I had very little faith in, to be honest. Killzone...is not good (though it'd be more accurate to say "It varies from mediocre to sucking."). This game really, really is. I don't know if I'll have a chance to return to it before it passes from my mind like so many other great titles of this year, but hey, what a game. I'd take it over The Witcher 3 personally too.

I'm never going to bother playing Breath of the Wild again. For whatever reason, LoZ just doesn't mean anything to me (I never got into the early titles, and never owned an N64). So the game itself is a cute looking but graphically unimpressive open world game with pretty simple combat mechanics and annoying climbing. That cooking animation is cute the first twenty times, not so much after that. I'm pretty sure I just don't "get it", whereas I get Horizon Zero Dawn in spite of the certain things about it that I don't like.

Boy, is it a good game. Right now, my primary motivation to buy a PS4 is Super Robot Wars V imported from Hong Kong (seriously, don't ask) but I would absolutely pick it up if I already had one.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    3) being from a developer I had very little faith in, to be honest. Killzone...is not good (though it'd be more accurate to say "It varies from mediocre to sucking.").

This was the biggest shock for me. And I enjoy the Killzone games.

But this game is just such a whole other level. It feels like the Killzone games were the contractual obligation to Sony, and this is the game they've had brewing in their minds for such a long time that they took such a cathartic joy in finally being able to realise it. There's just so much attention to detail in everything that it must have been a huge collective pet project that they just wanted to do.

Feels weird telling people 'it's made by the people who made Killzone' because that will give them such a false impression of the game outside of 'it looks good'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The developer that created Killzone might as well be someone else entirely compared to the developer who created HZD.

My understanding is they had a lot of turnover between then and now.

• Options
    The developer that created Killzone might as well be someone else entirely compared to the developer who created HZD.

My understanding is they had a lot of turnover between then and now.

Doesn't mean people don't draw conclusions between old games and new games by the same developer. I see plenty of 'wow the guys who made Homeworld made Dawn of War 3?' when the majority of those guys are at a new studio.

Telling someone the HZD was made by the same studio as Killzone makes people draw automatic assumptions.

• Options
    I... don’t dispute that?

I merely pointed out that the games are so different because the people who made them are so different.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    HZD combat is so good it made me hate Destiny's combat and Destiny's combat is super good. Like every fight in every game is shitty compared to a random fight where im tearing apart giant or even not so giant dinos piece by piece and using their weaknesses against them.

That being said, the gameplay is too repetitive. The stupid follow your senses to find the dude and do fetch quests are super boring. And the climbing mechanic is awful and frustrating and not at all fun. For as good as the combat is the movement could be waaaaay better.

Ill be passing on DLC for this, but a sequel some time in the next 3 years? Yes please!

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    HZD combat is so good it made me hate Destiny's combat and Destiny's combat is super good. Like every fight in every game is shitty compared to a random fight where im tearing apart giant or even not so giant dinos piece by piece and using their weaknesses against them.

That being said, the gameplay is too repetitive. The stupid follow your senses to find the dude and do fetch quests are super boring. And the climbing mechanic is awful and frustrating and not at all fun. For as good as the combat is the movement could be waaaaay better.

Ill be passing on DLC for this, but a sequel some time in the next 3 years? Yes please!

I'm curious what you did differently to make HZD combat that good because I found much of it tedious. I enjoyed things well enough when it was me against a big robot and I had time to prepare traps but fights against larger numbers of robots got really messy and the lack of a worthwhile melee or close combat option that I could find meant I often was using the blast sling as a close quarters weapon to have something that didn't feel as awkward as using a bow up close. I'm playing Destiny 2 right now and really enjoying being able to seamlessly swap between stabbing something, shooting its buddy with a hand cannon or scout rifle, ripping through its weaker backup with an SMG, and then throwing a grenade every now and then so I'm really curious how you got HZD to handle more smoothly than I ever did.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Oh damn this comes out in like 20 minutes. For some reason I was thinking end of November.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Holy shit they lored flamethrowers into the game.

edit: FLAMETHROWERS AND ROBOT BEARS

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

I'm curious what you did differently to make HZD combat that good because I found much of it tedious. I enjoyed things well enough when it was me against a big robot and I had time to prepare traps but fights against larger numbers of robots got really messy and the lack of a worthwhile melee or close combat option that I could find meant I often was using the blast sling as a close quarters weapon to have something that didn't feel as awkward as using a bow up close. I'm playing Destiny 2 right now and really enjoying being able to seamlessly swap between stabbing something, shooting its buddy with a hand cannon or scout rifle, ripping through its weaker backup with an SMG, and then throwing a grenade every now and then so I'm really curious how you got HZD to handle more smoothly than I ever did.

By the time you complete the game, you should be able to pretty much oneshot a medium sized dino with a heavy melee attack. I got lost and ran into a pack of those hyena things close up and just wrecked the shit out of them. And that was before I got the magic armor. I won't compare HZD and Destiny because those are two very different combat styles, but I've never felt shortchanged by either.

• Options

I think it's quite good--but not exceptionally so (beyond how good it often looks, and whatever fascination you may or may not have with robot dinosaur hunting).

I wouldn't compare it to Destiny 2 for obvious reasons, but Rise of the Tomb Raider....I played a lot more of that and I think the combat overall was stronger. Maybe if I played more of Horizon I'd feel different.

• Options

I think it's quite good--but not exceptionally so (beyond how good it often looks, and whatever fascination you may or may not have with robot dinosaur hunting).

I wouldn't compare it to Destiny 2 for obvious reasons, but Rise of the Tomb Raider....I played a lot more of that and I think the combat overall was stronger. Maybe if I played more of Horizon I'd feel different.

Reboot Tomb Raider certainly gives you a lot of options to tailor your loadout and approach. I found it kind of formulaic in parts but can't deny I had fun fighting bears with a shotgun and incendiaries and taking a climbing axe to groups of humans. While the bow was iconic, it gave you a lot of options if you didn't care for the bow. Having 3 of HZD's weapons be bows made things feel quite a bit more constrained.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've never played Destiny (though I've heard the combat is quite good), but it's a multiplayer game, right? Seems like that would preclude HZD's slow-down mechanic, which is one of my favorite simple mechanics since Arkham-style rhythm fighting. It helps you manage combat and look badass at the same time. I guess it's not that different from Max Payne bullet time, but for whatever reason that never felt as smooth as this does.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Here's why I compare it to destiny. Both have 3 elemental damage types. HZD uses them amazingly. The way they apply status effects or cause enemy reactions or expose weak points is fantastic

Destiny? Match the enemy shield for a slight boost.. Yay

Weak points and the way you could stun or disable parts of the enemy was also amazing

Compare that to destiny which has literally one enemy that shares that mechanic, the spider tank. Imagine if a fight against a spider tank played like a fight against an end game Dino? At some very base level it does but not really.

The reason I make the comparison is because destiny relies on bullet spounges for difficult combat. In HZD enemies can be bucket spounges if you approach them wrong. and d2 got way too over the top for raid mechanics that didn't even feel like combat. If they could capture HZD elements and weak spots and enemy AI and reactions it'd be so much better.

Every time I shoot a blast canister with a fire arrow that causes a chain reaction to mutder a whole pack of enemies. Or should a lightning arrow at s charge pack to EMP a group and run up and melee finish a tough enemy I go "this is how to make combat fun"

The same fight can be super easy or super hard depending on if you come up with and execute a good plan or panic and just chip away at the enemy

616610-1.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Frei wrote: »
    Holy shit they lored flamethrowers into the game.

edit: FLAMETHROWERS AND ROBOT BEARS

'Flamethrowers and Robot Bears' is all the review I needed, thanks!

edit: wait no it's not. I also need to know if you can ride the robot bears.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I played about ten minutes of the Frozen Wilds this morning before work.

Spoilers are for the first ten minutes of the expansion.

I ran into one new machine:
    Exploding fire bear surprised the heck out of me with the fiery explosions. Stuff shouldn't be able to close that fast and blow up in my face like that!

One conversation that I wasn't expecting, but appreciated:
    Sylens being like "Uh, Aloy? Saving the world? A little more important than playing in the snow."

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sylens being like "Uh, Aloy? Saving the world? A little more important than playing in the snow."
    I hope you immediately responded by making a snow angel.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I hope you immediately responded by making a snow angel.
    No, I was a little busy dismantling a fiery bear thing.

• Options

Reboot Tomb Raider certainly gives you a lot of options to tailor your loadout and approach. I found it kind of formulaic in parts but can't deny I had fun fighting bears with a shotgun and incendiaries and taking a climbing axe to groups of humans. While the bow was iconic, it gave you a lot of options if you didn't care for the bow. Having 3 of HZD's weapons be bows made things feel quite a bit more constrained.

I also don't like the bows in both of the new Tomb Raider games and stop using them very quickly. That carries on into Horizon.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

This so much. Zelda was over-praised, over-hyped, and not really that great of an open world game, and certainly not a great Zelda game.

It's too bad that all the major game news outlets are all firmly latched onto it's dick and Horizon is going to be the runner-up in every GotY award, even though it is the far more deserving game.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I also don't like the bows in both of the new Tomb Raider games and stop using them very quickly. That carries on into Horizon.

I liked both bows because I think these games are way better when you can stealth them. I feel like a god.

There's entire human based missions I've done unseen. It's more difficult with machines but there's a fun challenge to picking off the weak things, drawing a big one to you and overriding it, then just going to town in the mayhem

initiatefailure on
  • Options

I liked both bows because I think these games are way better when you can stealth them. I feel like a god.

There's entire human based missions I've done unseen. It's more difficult with machines but there's a fun challenge to picking off the weak things, drawing a big one to you and overriding it, then just going to town in the mayhem

You had other options for stealth weapons besides the bow in Tomb Raider. It was handy to have the suppressed SMG and rifles for up close stealth options which was nice if you don't like to do stealth via the sneak up from afar and headshot everything with a silent sniper weapon method.

The rattlers didn't seem to make too too much noise but they often had issues actually killing a target quickly enough for stealth.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I'm almost tempted to start a NG+ on Ultra-Hard difficulty or whatever just to re-experience HZD and organically weave Frozen Wilds into my main story progression (and grab all of the post-release trophies), but... I think I'd just get frustrated with the difficulty. I want the DLC to be a pleasant experience and an extension of everything I did in the base game - I'd rather not fight with the game to get there. Especially because there are so many other games to play right now.

I'm really, really excited to just... dive back into the world of HZD. I'm planning on hopping on a mount right by Meridian and riding all the way up to the new zone (no fast travel!), just to remind myself of how the greater world feels/looks/sounds.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I almost got worried the DLC start didn't show up for me. But then I noticed the DLC hadn't installed because there was an uninstalled system update that I wasn't informed about.

I'd been playing an hour already before I thought about it because I was getting a fox skin to buy the rattler which I haven't tried before.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I really want to get the expansion, but there is apparently a 20% off PSN coupon being emailed out, which I didn't get. I never get promo emails from Sony, so if anybody has an extra code I'd be glad to take it off your hands so that I can get a discount on Frozen Wilds.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Frozen Wilds general
    They've solved the Halo armor in a pretty clever way. I was fully expecting this to be very easy but it is not.

Also, god damn Scorchers don't play.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I really want to get the expansion, but there is apparently a 20% off PSN coupon being emailed out, which I didn't get. I never get promo emails from Sony, so if anybody has an extra code I'd be glad to take it off your hands so that I can get a discount on Frozen Wilds.

Are you sure it was a coupon? Cuz the frozen wilds was 20% off in the store if you had ps plus pretty much since they announced it. I think it went up to normal price once it launched.

This discussion has been closed.