As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I really want to get the expansion, but there is apparently a 20% off PSN coupon being emailed out, which I didn't get. I never get promo emails from Sony, so if anybody has an extra code I'd be glad to take it off your hands so that I can get a discount on Frozen Wilds.

Are you sure it was a coupon? Cuz the frozen wilds was 20% off in the store if you had ps plus pretty much since they announced it. I think it went up to normal price once it launched.

No, there was an email sent out with a 20% off coupon for any purchase.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Plus it’s horizon zero dawn. That’s worth another $4 right off the bat.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Does anyone use the Rattler? I just can't find a use for it. The only use I can seem to find is to freeze an enemy and then shoot it point blank with the rattler, but using a tearblaster does the same thing.

I mean, it looks cool...

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

After having put about six hours in the Frozen Wilds, I can confirm that it is indeed more Horizon: Zero Dawn.
    The story of the last girls on earth is pretty poignant. I don't know if I have the entire thing yet, and it doesn't really tell us a whole lot about the world we didn't already know or suspect, but it doesn't make it any less worthwhile.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    After playing even more, I think this will pretty directly evenly tie with Total Warhammer 2 for my GOTY. Just such a joy to play, so much that I forget the small flaws it does have.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Rattler? I just can't find a use for it. The only use I can seem to find is to freeze an enemy and then shoot it point blank with the rattler, but using a tearblaster does the same thing.

I mean, it looks cool...

That’s definitely the gun I used the least. I just never liked the way it felt, but I really can’t comment on whether it’s good or bad.

I think it’s mostly for killing people? But fire kills people too.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

I mean, it looks cool...

It's the closest thing to a close range option that won't accidentally explode you. And it doesn't require the things you need to do to get a tearblaster. It got some use out of it as a result but the damage against things not frozen left much to be desired.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    FYI for anyone still on the fence, Best Buy is shaving another couple of bucks off the base version of the game, down to $20.

Now, I assume at least in part this is clearing out some stock before the Complete Collection lands in December, but figured it was worth mentioning.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I still have an inventory filled with stuff that I don't know if I need or not. Am I pretty safe in selling off all the hearts and lens and such that I got in HZD? Is any of it useful in Frozen Wilds?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    OK, all Frozen Wilds pigments gotten, all towers destroyed/disabled, Hunter grounds cleared except for one thing I can't do yet, all the side quests that I can see have been completed, all campfires unlocked, all animal statues collected. Cool.

I'm ready to move forward with the main quest.

Speaking of the statues:
    The Shaman that you can deliver them to has the best speculation on what the animals portrayed in the statues were like.

My favorite side quest so far:
    The one where you go up on a glacier to check up on two Hunters that haven't made it back yet. Now, you have to understand, I basically never used the "closed fist" dialog option. I much prefer the heart or the brain responses, depending on who Aloy is speaking to. Even Helis gets the heart or brain response. I generally play Aloy as being a person who might be prickly and independent, but ultimately a person whose brains are matched by her compassion, and she knows better than to let her anger off the leash.

This quest, I slammed down the closed fist answer at the end of the quest. Because seriously, fuck that shit.

With that said, I really hope that we see the non-stupid Hunter from that quest in any HZD sequels.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally playing this game. Really great so far! Totally getting sucked into the characters and world, and I'm enjoying the encounters with the machines. Little annoyed you can't climb on anything that doesn't have violent yellow markers on it, but I have to keep reminding myself I'm not playing Breath of the Wild.

Granted I'm still in the first area, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for as I explore? Like hidden collectables and the like?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You won't miss out on anything; if you want to go back to earlier areas to explore you pretty much always can. The game is pretty good about organically giving you what you need to know as it progresses.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    KalTorak wrote: »
    You won't miss out on anything; if you want to go back to earlier areas to explore you pretty much always can. The game is pretty good about organically giving you what you need to know as it progresses.

Good to know, but I guess my question is whether I should keep my eyes peeled for unmarked secrets or just keep bouncing from quest to quest and enjoy the scenery? Then again I'm still trying to shift gears from BotW.

Edit: Though don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to bounce from quest to quest since they've been dangling little bits of worldbuilding so far.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Good to know, but I guess my question is whether I should keep my eyes peeled for unmarked secrets or just keep bouncing from quest to quest and enjoy the scenery? Then again I'm still trying to shift gears from BotW.

The biggest things to look out for are the power cells you use to unlock the best armor in the game, and the records of the Old Ones.

The A-story in the game, about the adventures of Aloy, is fun. It's Young Adult Novel: The Game. The B-story in the game, the backstory, is honestly one of the best SFF stories of the last few years in my opinion. It's a people's history of how the world got to be in the state that it's in, and it's fantastic. As layers of the onion come off, and you start to put the pieces together, and then new information adds context to old information, it's both pretty epic and very, very personal. And you get the B-story through audio/text/holographic records.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Finally playing this game. Really great so far! Totally getting sucked into the characters and world, and I'm enjoying the encounters with the machines. Little annoyed you can't climb on anything that doesn't have violent yellow markers on it, but I have to keep reminding myself I'm not playing Breath of the Wild.

Granted I'm still in the first area, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for as I explore? Like hidden collectables and the like?

There are collectibles but 1) They have really, really underwhelming rewards and 2) You can buy maps that point out there rough locations. You will not miss out on anything if you elect to not collect old coffee mugs for some dude or the like.

As mentioned, the only hidden thing to really look out for are power cells which are all in to main story old world related locations.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Edit: Though don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy to bounce from quest to quest since they've been dangling little bits of worldbuilding so far.

Not really stuff you can 'miss', but I'd suggest killing and looting any animals you come across while you're doing other stuff. You'll need various animal bones and skin for trading for gear later on, and the more you've collected on the way, the less time you'll spend checking every silhouette to see if it's a raccoon and not a fox oh great a raccoon finally just shoot it and OH COME ON I just need one lousy blue drop.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks all!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The A-story in the game, about the adventures of Aloy, is fun. It's Young Adult Novel: The Game. The B-story in the game, the backstory, is honestly one of the best SFF stories of the last few years in my opinion. It's a people's history of how the world got to be in the state that it's in, and it's fantastic. As layers of the onion come off, and you start to put the pieces together, and then new information adds context to old information, it's both pretty epic and very, very personal. And you get the B-story through audio/text/holographic records.

Have to agree with this. Not only is the story incredibly compelling, the presentation (unraveling through audio/text logs as well as its ramifications and connections to the current-day A-plot) makes the best use of the medium I've seen since the Bioshock series. As in, the meat of the story is good, but it does things as a video game that would be impossible for a book or movie or other traditional storytelling media, and that elevates the story by making emotional connections through gameplay the way a good director can elevate a script with cinematography. There are a lot of plot-driven action/adventure games, but only a handful of them go above and beyond being an interactive movie and really make use of the fact that the story is being told in a game.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Not really stuff you can 'miss', but I'd suggest killing and looting any animals you come across while you're doing other stuff. You'll need various animal bones and skin for trading for gear later on, and the more you've collected on the way, the less time you'll spend checking every silhouette to see if it's a raccoon and not a fox oh great a raccoon finally just shoot it and OH COME ON I just need one lousy blue drop.

I think I still need fish bones. but i also didn't care enough about whether there was an all upgrades achievement or not

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I would point out that while yes, it's the best armor in the game, Guerilla does a lot of fun things to subvert the shield armor in Frozen Wilds, which I think is fantastic. I was a bit worried I was going to be an OP killing machine in the expansion because my Aloy from the base game is a monster. I basically 100%ed the game and have pretty much max roll, or near max roll, mods in everything. I've been pleasantly surprised that there are some interesting challenges for me in the expansion.

More generally I'm just really happy to be spending some time with Aloy again. I plowed through the base game in a way I really haven't with a game in a long time and time I get to spend in Aloy's world is time well spent. Really excited to see some of the new story bits unfold.

e: P.S. if there are actually still people on the fence about this game, stop. Buy the game. It's still my GoTY, even in a year with BoTW which was amazing with a capital A, but I'm a sucker for a really meaty, well told story, and that's HZD.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Heavy Shadow Stalwart armor for life dudes.

• Options

Have to agree with this. Not only is the story incredibly compelling, the presentation (unraveling through audio/text logs as well as its ramifications and connections to the current-day A-plot) makes the best use of the medium I've seen since the Bioshock series. As in, the meat of the story is good, but it does things as a video game that would be impossible for a book or movie or other traditional storytelling media, and that elevates the story by making emotional connections through gameplay the way a good director can elevate a script with cinematography. There are a lot of plot-driven action/adventure games, but only a handful of them go above and beyond being an interactive movie and really make use of the fact that the story is being told in a game.

Yep. And as I said, it's a people's history. Regular people - programmers and soldiers and musicians and business people and students and scientists all get a say. There's one amazing long sequence of special items about a guy and his relationship with his mother and stepfather, and it has a lot to say about the state of the world.

I appreciate how the story doesn't pull any punches. You see why Old Ones in leadership positions made certain decisions, but you also see the perspective of the regular people and how those decisions affect them. It's one thing to think "Wow, that's horrible, but it's probably the right choice." It another thing to actually see how some pretty horrific decisions affected regular people.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    One of the amazing things about the story is how it builds context over the course of the game and causes you to constantly think back to artifacts you've found and things you've learned and re-evaluate what you felt about it at the time. There is a point relatively early in the game...
    Where you go in to some ruins and find some audio logs from a group of people who are basically committing suicide with strong sedatives. At the time, there is little context and it just sounds like a sad, horrible thing. Much later in the game you're given the context to fully understand what was happening there and the entire thing becomes even more sad and poignant. It's an incredible bit of story telling that doesn't really move Story A forward at all, but adds so much depth to Story B. It's really amazing work.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    One of the amazing things about the story is how it builds context over the course of the game and causes you to constantly think back to artifacts you've found and things you've learned and re-evaluate what you felt about it at the time. There is a point relatively early in the game...
    Where you go in to some ruins and find some audio logs from a group of people who are basically committing suicide with strong sedatives. At the time, there is little context and it just sounds like a sad, horrible thing. Much later in the game you're given the context to fully understand what was happening there and the entire thing becomes even more sad and poignant. It's an incredible bit of story telling that doesn't really move Story A forward at all, but adds so much depth to Story B. It's really amazing work.

"Happy birthday Isaac! Daddy sure does love his little big man!"
    In the grand scheme of things, Isaac and his dad were no one. It's just a sad, weird little one off.

Isaac and his father almost certainly never again met in person.

Maybe the birthday party happened months before the end. Maybe days. Maybe weeks. Maybe Isaac's father held out alone for a few days in the bunker, surrounded by the bodies of the other people on site, with machines roaming around above, so he could send one final birthday message. You realize that there's a very real possibility that Isaac's dad is sending that message just before whomever is with Isaac descends into Elysium and that Isaac's dad committed suicide shortly after that.

The mountain bunker that was used to create the first members of the Nora tribe, and eventually Aloy, was very likely at least in part built due to the work of Isaac's dad. Isaac's dad is a nameless no-one as far as history as concerned. And yet, the future of humanity may have rested in part on his shoulders.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm not crying, you're crying.

also, I'm crying

• Options

also, I'm crying

And that's why the B-story is so great.

The B-story makes three things very, very clear:
    • Elisabet Sobeck was basically the greatest human being ever to live, and she saved humanity.
    • Despite Elisabet's brilliance and drive and absolute utter ruthlessness, she would never have been able to do it without the knowing or unknowing assistance of virtually every human being on the planet.
    • Fuck Ted Faro.

• Options

also, I'm crying

• Elisabet Sobeck was basically the greatest human being ever to live, and she saved humanity.
    • Despite Elisabet's brilliance and drive and absolute utter ruthlessness, she would never have been able to do it without the knowing or unknowing assistance of virtually every human being on the planet.
    • Fuck Ted Faro.

About the last guy you mentioned...
    I'm pretty sure he's not dead, or at least no more dead than Elisabet is, e.g. Aloy. I think he's probably going to be the big bad in the larger story and the one who is causing the old machines to wake up and continue their rampage. The end of the story makes very clear he had completely lost his mind and was determined that the only way to stop all of this was to kill everything. It would line up perfectly with him being "reborn" around the same time as Aloy and still being a completely broken man mentally, attempting to continue his insane final acts.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I would be extremely surprised if he is around in any real way. A legacy project of his causing problems, sure, but the man himself, no.
    I could see a couple of ways he plausibly could be back, but the dude was never a villain in an especially active way. All of his shit happened because he was a greedy, amoral coward who refused to own up to his mistakes, and that last act of his was purely to erase evidence of his legendary fuckup. Setting Hades loose to kill the people that he's already erased the history of seems beyond him.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I would be extremely surprised if he is around in any real way. A legacy project of his causing problems, sure, but the man himself, no.
    I could see a couple of ways he plausibly could be back, but the dude was never a villain in an especially active way. All of his shit happened because he was a greedy, amoral coward who refused to own up to his mistakes, and that last act of his was purely to erase evidence of his legendary fuckup. Setting Hades loose to kill the people that he's already erased the history of seems beyond him.

They namecheck
    cryonics at one point in the story, it's why I totally expected to find Elisabet alive in the future.

• Options

They namecheck
    cryonics at one point in the story, it's why I totally expected to find Elisabet alive in the future.
    The Frozen Wilds:
    Clinics using salamander genetic code to alter humans to give them extended life spans is mentioned in one historical document IIRC. It was mentioned as a thing for the ultra-rich IIRC, and Ted certainly qualifies.

I’m not saying we’ll see him, but I am saying that GG are laying groundwork for him to potential appear if they decide to go that route, and they’re giving themselves multiple methods (gene therapy, cryogenics, clones).

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I'd be a bit disappointed if it did.
    Sylens is an easier choice for an antagonist, for one. They put a lot of work into hammering home the idea that the old world is dead, with all the solutions they explored and discarded before arriving at Zero Dawn, and that all that's really left is relics like Hades and the cauldrons following old imperatives. Bringing Faro back into an active role just doesn't feel in-theme.

I'm also reasonably certain that the transmission that unshackled the sub-AIs was sent centuries after Faro would be dead. And even if he wasn't, just hanging around until there's a new crop of humans, and then killing them, is way more malicious than he has the will for.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I would point out that while yes, it's the best armor in the game, Guerilla does a lot of fun things to subvert the shield armor in Frozen Wilds, which I think is fantastic. I was a bit worried I was going to be an OP killing machine in the expansion because my Aloy from the base game is a monster. I basically 100%ed the game and have pretty much max roll, or near max roll, mods in everything. I've been pleasantly surprised that there are some interesting challenges for me in the expansion.

Do they do it in a way that doesn't screw you over if you don't have the armour?

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Do they do it in a way that doesn't screw you over if you don't have the armour?

Yes, they did! It's very smart. Aloy even has specific comments she'll say about the armor, that I assume she doesn't say when not wearing it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Yes, they did! It's very smart. Aloy even has specific comments she'll say about the armor, that I assume she doesn't say when not wearing it.

Very good! I wasn't sure if I wanted to go for the armour. I dislike when a game has a system like armour with different stats and stuff, and then put one in that just makes the system redundant, even if you don't get it until near the end. But I also didn't want to be at a disadvantage in Frozen Wilds if I didn't go for it.

• Options
    I thought I was a real badass going into TFW; almost level 50, lots of gear, figured this mid-game content would be a cakewalk... first new monster kicked my ass off a mountain a half dozen times.

goddamn I love this game

also thank god for this new skill tree branch

• Options
    edited November 2017

Very good! I wasn't sure if I wanted to go for the armour. I dislike when a game has a system like armour with different stats and stuff, and then put one in that just makes the system redundant, even if you don't get it until near the end. But I also didn't want to be at a disadvantage in Frozen Wilds if I didn't go for it.

While I see what you're saying, developers need to figure out a way to make switching armor easier in console games if they want me to care about changing armor based on situations. Until that happens I'm always going to seek out the statistically best armor and wear it. No, I don't want to dig through a menu to find my frost armor because I'm fighting Glinthawks. Now if it was a button, or a radial menu like weapons, I'd buy in to the system...but it's not, so I use the armor that lets me opt out of said system.

GnomeTank on
  • Options

While I see what you're saying, developers need to figure out a way to make switching armor easier in console games if they want me to care about changing armor based on situations. Until that happens I'm always going to seek out the statistically best armor and wear it. No, I don't want to dig through a menu to find my frost armor because I'm fighting Glinthawks. Now if it was a button, or a radial menu like weapons, I'd buy in to the system...but it's not, so I use the armor that lets me opt out of said system.

What I want is for Aloy to have the power armor in the sequel, but for the armor to get damaged in the opening sequence/level of the game. Aloy then repairs the armor, and modifies it. So as the game goes on, Aloy is able to power up her power armor, and switch its properties on the fly. Basically using the same system as switching weapons, you'd instead rapidly cycle through armor bonuses as the fight demands. You could even have "boss fights" where the boss changes strategies during the fight, and the optimal thing to do is to switch your armor protection type to match it. And out of combat, you could switch to stealth mode.

Something like that would be a good gameplay mechanic, and it would give Aloy a chance to show off her brains.

You could keep the cosmetic aspects too - the expansion would start with Aloy using the Nora look for the power armor, but as things went on you could unlock different skins.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I stopped using the shield armor after I got got the first thing that makes it not as strong. I ran around mostly in the cool heavy shadow carja armor.

One thing I noticed but will need to confirm it but Aloy complains about the cold while walking around in any armor but the Banuk armor so I put Banuk armor on for a bit and she didn't really complain anymore.

Did anyone notice/try this or can confirm it? It might have just been less noticeable because it wasn't a snow storm or something so she complained less.

If the Banuk armor does change that though I would be pretty happy with that kind of detail.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

also, I'm crying

• Fuck Ted Faro.

About the last guy you mentioned...
    I'm pretty sure he's not dead, or at least no more dead than Elisabet is, e.g. Aloy. I think he's probably going to be the big bad in the larger story and the one who is causing the old machines to wake up and continue their rampage. The end of the story makes very clear he had completely lost his mind and was determined that the only way to stop all of this was to kill everything. It would line up perfectly with him being "reborn" around the same time as Aloy and still being a completely broken man mentally, attempting to continue his insane final acts.

I actually hope this isn’t true.
    Ted Faro is a much better villain because he is completely out of your reach.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    OMG I am so out of practice. First damn bot pretty much would have killed me if it wasn't for the armor, lol. I still haven't found a good way to take one on safely. Only a little bit into the game, so
    The Tallneck was a good twist, having to fix it up and all. And that comes into my first point. The last piece was guarded by a scorcher, and that thing is friggin hard to kill. I don't see how it could be weak to cold and live in a blizzard, but even triple shotting it with cold arrows didn't even slow it down. I liked the dam area. It was nice to explore old ones ruins without having to kill a bunch of people to do it. Hopefully they can keep the people killing to a minimum. That's what Haephastus is for. Got faked out by not reading the notes and tried to overide a demonic croc. Didn't go well, lol. At least those things are still vulnerable to fire.

Krieghund on
This discussion has been closed.