Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS ROUTE C EVEN

Some real-ass shit, friend.

Some real-ass shit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The real dark souls starts here

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    This game is amazing, and it is STILL amazing watching it through others' reactions. I'm so glad we have this thread.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't like Route C.
    2B just died. :(
    I've been at this almost all day, I'm gonna take a break.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    BelovedDazzlingArgusfish-small.gif

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Spoiler tag that shit for other people, man.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean i'll do it to avoid an argument but
    i don't know that "At some point 9S yells angrily" is a spoiler

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Here's my perspective on what was happening up to now as I played the game, now that I've come down from the high of how awesome it is. Spoilers go up to the start of Route C.
    My first impression of the game was "ick, controls," but swapping just two of the buttons and realizing the lock-on could be tapped helped a lot. I fumbled around in route A with side quests, hit that point of no return on being able to do some of them. So that overall inflated my playthrough for route B because partially completed quests had to be redone from the ground up. Mind you when I finished route B I had 36 hours logged on my playtime (though the clock runs when you're "paused" and I have to do that a lot).

The plot was... meh to me. Some of the existential beats were heavy-handed, but for the most part the passing observations of "humans, m i rite" were fantastic. 9S' perspective on things really built on all that. I was writing off the Adam and Eve stuff as typical-anime-bullshit, which it sorta still is, but as a perceived final encounter it was a bit of a letdown.

Then route C was teased after the credits. So I started it up, and it was clearly "this is what happens next." Oh okay, I can dig that, rad. Then the shit rapidly hits the fan, and as 2B and 9S escape the bunker, the fucking credits start showing like a motion picture's opening sequence.

Thirty.

Six.

Hours.

I screamed literally, in joy. I think I'd be hard pressed to come up with other examples of directorial bait and switches of that sort. I really, really hope the game from here on follows through on that, because if that's all it's got... well, hey it was still awesome as hell.

• Options
    Oh by the way, if
    2B doesn't come back somehow
    I will hate this game forever and never touch it again~

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Oh by the way, if
    2B doesn't come back somehow
    I will hate this game forever and never touch it again~

you will regret your words and your deeds

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Some of you keep dropping "hints"

Knock it off! :P

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My favorite part is where Charlton Heston drops to his knees at the base of the big statue and he's like

"You damn dirty robots!"

And the camera pulls back all dramatic as 'Kiss From a Rose' starts playing.

• Options
    Route C, I just went to
    Pascal's village and the amusement park. There was no joy anywhere to be found. And this has legit made me sad as fuck.

• Options
    The real open world was sadness all along

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You're making good progress. My playtimer stopped in Route B.

• Options
    Wait, something in route C doesn't make sense.
    I went to Pascal's village as 9S and everyone was dead. I just showed up as A2, after sparing Pascal, and... it's back to normal? Is 9S losing his shit (I mean, given the crazy shit I just saw he very much is).

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I went to Pascal's village as 9S and everyone was dead. I just showed up as A2, after sparing Pascal, and... it's back to normal? Is 9S losing his shit (I mean, given the crazy shit I just saw he very much is).

just keep playing, lots of things get explained

Lalabox on
  • Options
    I appear to have fought a dinosaur.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I appear to have fought a dinosaur.
    I missed that bit in its natural form, because I already had the resources the sidequest needed, so when I was trying to complete the "fill out the enemy glossary" sidequest that's available somewhere, I had to keep on going back to that area to try and get it to spawn

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Lalabox wrote: »

just keep playing, lots of things get explained
    Just did and nooooooooooooooo D:

Edit - Oh god and it keeps getting worse.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Route C
    I don't know what to do with Pascal. I can hack, I can kill... but the door opens and I can walk away. I don't know which is right at all.
    Edit - I made my choice.
    I walked away. Goddamn it I'm sorry Pascal. Maybe they can learn to live with it, is my hope. But I'm not killing them, and wiping their memories seemed wrong too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Okay I have to take a break for the night, emotions ran pretty high during route C (which I'm still not done with).
    That little choose-your-own-adventure thing with the twins was odd, but I'm glad I'm figuring out more about the background of why any of this is happening at all. I'm kind of shocked to see that androids are just THAT into the idea of protecting humanity.

I'm assuming that "Replicants" were supposed to be a means of saving humanity from, what, a plague or something? I dunno what "relapses" are yet.

Also nice little bombshell about the blackboxes and their origin. YORHA models aren't actually androids eh? Now I get why emotions "weren't permitted" - it's probably a safeguard against the YORHA models finding out they're not actually capable of emotion since they're technically machines. But then, they've all clearly underestimated the machines being capable of that stuff (as long as they aren't attached to the network) so maybe it was moot all along?

I'm currently at the point where 9S entered the tower, and the game swapped me back to A2. I have a feeling this is my last chance to do some things though there's a locked chest or two I forgot to ran 9S over to. OH WELL I guess I'll have to play the whole thing over again.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Okay I have to take a break for the night, emotions ran pretty high during route C (which I'm still not done with).
    That little choose-your-own-adventure thing with the twins was odd, but I'm glad I'm figuring out more about the background of why any of this is happening at all. I'm kind of shocked to see that androids are just THAT into the idea of protecting humanity.

I'm assuming that "Replicants" were supposed to be a means of saving humanity from, what, a plague or something? I dunno what "relapses" are yet.

Also nice little bombshell about the blackboxes and their origin. YORHA models aren't actually androids eh? Now I get why emotions "weren't permitted" - it's probably a safeguard against the YORHA models finding out they're not actually capable of emotion since they're technically machines. But then, they've all clearly underestimated the machines being capable of that stuff (as long as they aren't attached to the network) so maybe it was moot all along?

I'm currently at the point where 9S entered the tower, and the game swapped me back to A2. I have a feeling this is my last chance to do some things though there's a locked chest or two I forgot to ran 9S over to. OH WELL I guess I'll have to play the whole thing over again.
    Replicants are a thing from the original Nier

Re: the blackboxes, I don't think it's that the androids are incapable of emoting. after all 9S seems pretty sad and angry. I think it's more that the yorha androids are actually machines, and they're forbidden from emoting because it's important to the androids to convince themselves that machines are subsubhuman, unlike them, who are just subhuman.

• Options

Re: the blackboxes, I don't think it's that the androids are incapable of emoting. after all 9S seems pretty sad and angry. I think it's more that the yorha androids are actually machines, and they're forbidden from emoting because it's important to the androids to convince themselves that machines are subsubhuman, unlike them, who are just subhuman.
    Oh yeah, you're probably right.
    People being shitty to other people makes more sense than whatever shit I imagined.

This game is full of smiles and rainbows.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

People being shitty to other people makes more sense than whatever shit I imagined.

Route C Alt route
    So if you wipe pascal's memory, you find him in the village later, and he will sell you the body parts, and machine cores of the kids he's been scrounging.

It's pretty grim.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I should not have read that spoiler. That said, AHHHHHH D:

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

it is very very important to yorha to maintain these largely arbitrary distinctions between robots because otherwise their mission falls apart

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ending A, more or less.
    The Stellaris-bots who faithfully serve organics get snippy when they meet other toasters who have already killed their own creators.

-Tal wrote: »

it is very very important to yorha to maintain these largely arbitrary distinctions between robots because otherwise their mission falls apart

Nier Replicant/Gestalt/Automata-spoilers. (Up to mid route C?)
    Humans went all-in for making artifical people in their own image. They can enjoy eating fish. They can get drunk. They like music. They sing. Their blood is red.
    At least some of them can operate magic.
    Androids use machinery. They carry phones around. Or have pods carry phones around. They use non-portable email-technology by choice.

When humanity died, they tried to preserve their own souls, prepared the future production of perfect, untainted clone-bodies, and left everything in the hands of androids.

Androids are like doggos. They've been looking at the driveway all this time.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The translation team has failed me on Route C.
    "Please make your choice." Uh, do you mean who to play as or who dies you fucking Greek tragedy?
    Edit - Oh, and Route C complete. :(
    Edit - Wait, now what?
    This chapter selection shit is a little overwhelming because I dunno how many of them lead to different endings and such. And I know DAMN well that there's more to this story than A2 collapsing the tower.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    re: endings
    most of the silly hidden ones are pretty inconsequential/humorous and don't really add much unless you're trying to collect 'em all

when you're ready you'll want to go back and make the choice you didn't make at the end to see the other side of that exchange

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    HENROID DONT READ - MAJOR END SPOILERS
    SERIOUSLY HENROID DONT EVEN
    He didn't play the original NieR. So the very end isn't even in his mind. Having played the original, you could sense what they were going to ask of you.

He has NO idea.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I have a question about post-route-C.
    So with the chapter select thing, will I play the game from that chosen point until I reach an ending again? Or do I just play to the end of the chapter? I noticed last night if I choose "start game" I will be put right at the start as if it were a new file, playing as 2B, only all my stats / items carry over.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So with the chapter select thing, will I play the game from that chosen point until I reach an ending again? Or do I just play to the end of the chapter? I noticed last night if I choose "start game" I will be put right at the start as if it were a new file, playing as 2B, only all my stats / items carry over.
    Pretty sure every time you load up a save you can pick a new chapter? This is just for completionism. It tells you how many quests you’ve completed for each chapter for example.

Getting the next ending details in spoiler
    If you wanted you could just load up the final chapter and make the opposite choice for ending d right now.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    you can pretty much jump around willy nilly with chapter select. you dont need to finish a chapter or anything

this is useful for things such as jumping between an early chapter and a late chapter to grind cash via buying and selling the same item low, then high as items become worth more in the later chapters, or finding sidequests you missed, or just going to the final fight choice

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Route C Alt route
    So if you wipe pascal's memory, you find him in the village later, and he will sell you the body parts, and machine cores of the kids he's been scrounging.

It's pretty grim.

Route C
    Yeah I....killed Pascal.

Wiping his memory didn't seem right, it seemed awful, and walking away seemed like the coward's way out, so....

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Edit - Oh, and Route C complete. :(
    Edit - Wait, now what?
    This chapter selection shit is a little overwhelming because I dunno how many of them lead to different endings and such. And I know DAMN well that there's more to this story than A2 collapsing the tower.

@Henroid (route C spoilers re: "now what?"):
    Load up the chapter select and do the final fight again, but make the other choice.

The main narrative isn't over until you get ending E

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    I have something very important to tell you all.
    [Sometimes you forget what it means to live.] [Just remember,] [you've got us with you.]

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    [Sometimes you forget what it means to live.] [Just remember,] [you've got us with you.]

Sooooooooo
    What did you pick

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options

Sooooooooo
    What did you pick
    I want to help people no matter what. So I guess I don't have a save file anymore.

Also as far as 9S goes, I chose to stay.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Sooooooooo
    What did you pick
    Can't leave a message if you don't sac your save.

Rainfall on