As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm "out of touch", but should Sesame Street really be doing an extended direct parody of a TV-14 horror series?

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Well they did Game of Thrones.

My guess is (haven't watched the Stranger Things one) it's something that from the kids perspective is harmless and reminds parents and older siblings Seaseme street exists. Pretty handy for them when Christmas is approaching.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Maybe I'm "out of touch", but should Sesame Street really be doing an extended direct parody of a TV-14 horror series?

They've done parodies of Mad Men, House of Cards, and Game of Thrones, just to name some stuff that happened in the last few years.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They've done parodies of Mad Men, House of Cards, and Game of Thrones, just to name some stuff that happened in the last few years.

Also Rape Cops aka Law and Order SVU

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, the kids aren't going to pick up the horror aspects unless they've seen the show.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

They did a parody of Nightmare on Elm Street back in the 80s

• Options
    I feel kinda weird calling Stranger Things "horror". Yeah alot of the elements are there but you could say the same about something like Jurassic Park.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    M

They've done this for years. Look up twin beaks

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I feel kinda weird calling Stranger Things "horror". Yeah alot of the elements are there but you could say the same about something like Jurassic Park.

I'd pretty firmly put it down in the horror category. Jurassic Park doesn't have
    monsters from another dimension crawling out of walls to eat people, or have little kids getting possessed by eldritch interdimensional critters that gradually destroy the mind of the host while also inflicting terrible pain on him for damage dealt to its encroaching vine-flesh.

Hell, the thing with Eleven's mom being trapped in a perpetually looped memory of losing her kid, finding her kid, and being deliberately brain damaged to stop her is pretty damn horrifying, no cosmic stuff needed.

• Options
    Somehow I feel Law and Order: SVU is the most offensive of all these examples even though it's the only one that's a network show.
    Well it's a more accurate label for S1 than S2 tonally, but two big differences from Jurassic Park are that it's a lot more gory, and dinosaurs are awesome. Nobody would go to an Upside Down theme park.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I always figured that stuff like that was less for kids and more to throw a bone to the parents who watch Sesame Street with them. Most of that stuff probably goes right over a four year old's head.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Back when I was a kiddo, one of the sketches was a group of beetle puppets who sang a song called "Letter B." I was probably in high school before I actually made the connection that it was meant to parody the Beatles's "Let it Be." Honestly, their parody sketches are usually quite clever and most likely 100% to connect with the parents who watch with the kiddos.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Jurassic Park could definitely be horror.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

JP2 has a dude get torn in half and munched on by a pair of T-Rexes. That was a lot more graphic than anything in Stranger Things s1 or s2.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

JP2 has a dude get torn in half and munched on by a pair of T-Rexes. That was a lot more graphic than anything in Stranger Things s1 or s2.

Thats kinda my point. They both have those elements but they're both very different from horror films like The Thing or Nightmare on Elm street.

Jurassic Park and Stranger things feel more like an adventure film/show with some horror elements.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Somehow I feel Law and Order: SVU is the most offensive of all these examples even though it's the only one that's a network show.
    Well it's a more accurate label for S1 than S2 tonally, but two big differences from Jurassic Park are that it's a lot more gory, and dinosaurs are awesome. Nobody would go to an Upside Down theme park.

Strong disagree on that last point.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Can confirm, JP was very, very scary for my 8 year old nephew when I showed it to him. To prepare him for it, we even watched the making of the kitchen scene and other stuff, but trust me, that movie is plenty scary for a kid.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options

What? It's a bunch of toxic ash and screaming indestructible monsters. It's practically my dream to die on a Star Trek away mission and I'd never get in the hazmat suit to go through the gate to see the shit dimension.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Thats kinda my point. They both have those elements but they're both very different from horror films like The Thing or Nightmare on Elm street.

Jurassic Park and Stranger things feel more like an adventure film/show with some horror elements.

Not all horror movies are the same, and those are two separate genres of horror.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

No. My 4-year-old completely zones out in these stupid parodies. I think the Sesame Street team do them because they let them meet celebrities and get adults talking about the show. Please concentrate on the kid viewers, guys!

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

What? It's a bunch of toxic ash and screaming indestructible monsters. It's practically my dream to die on a Star Trek away mission and I'd never get in the hazmat suit to go through the gate to see the shit dimension.

You know that part where you wondered if you were out of touch?

You never heard of all the haunted house attractions? Spooky run down prisons, insane asylums, hospitals, mansions, warehouses, schools, the tourist attractions at Niagara Falls, etc... A few slight alterations in some decoration choices and you got yourself the Upside Down theme park at Universal Studios or something. So yeah, a lot of people would take a break from the zombie survivor house to visit a Upside Down house.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Visit the Upside Down, where we will turn you Inside Out.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    You like Stranger Things? You like books? How about a combination of both?
    The first two titles, set for a release this fall, will be a behind-the-scences companion book and a hardcover gift book for young readers.

Those two books will be followed next spring by a Stranger Things prequel novel, written by author Gwenda Bond, about Eleven’s mother and the MKUltra program. Additional titles for both adults and young readers will arrive later in 2019.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited June 2018

No. My 4-year-old completely zones out in these stupid parodies. I think the Sesame Street team do them because they let them meet celebrities and get adults talking about the show. Please concentrate on the kid viewers, guys!

Odd I loved those as a kid. Twin beaks was so weird.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    The SiegeThe Siege Game Developer Oakland CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still remember the name Twin Beaks to this day, and I have VERY few memories of early childhood.

Cards and Castles - CCG meets Tactics! Coming soon to Steam: http://www.cardsandcastles.com/main/

I am also known as Vontre.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The Siege wrote: »
    I still remember the name Twin Beaks to this day, and I have VERY few memories of early childhood.

Wasn't Twin Peaks also a Darkwing Duck episode involving alien abduction and dancing cows?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    The Siege wrote: »

Its a very Henson skit . A simple but funny joke and the worst possible character for the task. Cookie Monster's finest moment imo

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Neat, although I haven't played a TellTale game since The Walking Dead season 1.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Blah, the walking dead went south after season 1, but Wolf, Borderlands, Batman S2 are all really good. Let's just forget that Thrones ever happened because it was bad.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    So millie bobby brown got harassed off of twitter because lgtb+ users were posting memes of her being homophobic as a joke. Pretty good joke, guys, pretty good.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    So millie bobby brown got harassed off of twitter because lgtb+ users were posting memes of her being homophobic as a joke. Pretty good joke, guys, pretty good.
    Yup. You have to be a grade-A douchebag to attack a 14yo. Even one that appears to have said something stupid, which doesn't even seem to be the case here.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Neat, although I haven't played a TellTale game since The Walking Dead season 1.

They've gotten a lot better mechanically since then. Though they're committed to a rather "janky" engine.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I uninstalled walking dead after the part with the dog in Season 2 of it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Don't take food from a starving dog.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Don't take food from a starving dog.
    I tried to share, it didn't end well.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I can't find the original source (lots of fakes out there), but we have our first teaser for Season 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMZgCTeFRM

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    That poor mall is gonna get wrecked

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That poor mall is gonna get wrecked

So many people are going to disappear there.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Man, Waldenbooks. That takes me back.

I've got a copy of that printing of Hunt for Red October on my bookshelf, too.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I wonder if that means S3 is next summer instead of the fall like S2 was, or if it's just an in-universe thing since S3 apparently takes place in the summer of 85.