Options

[Destiny 2] Curse of Osiris out now! DM your clan's GM for PA re-up.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Slayerage (of The Legend Himself) posted a Destiny/D2 weapon analysis video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ng0WImoeEw
    I was not expecting this video to get salty so quickly!
    Ah, I see now. The biggest problem with Destiny 2 is having played Destiny 1.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I mean, I remember Hunter throwing knives not doing elemental damage and Bungie said they knew about it.

Suddenly it just went POOF - and 2 years later that issue was just fixed instantly!

I'm sure this "use multiple emote" thing they've talked about since Destiny 1 is right around the corner by now.

They are pretty heavily hinting at it being in the next update as per their twitch con stream.
    Opty wrote: »
    My perspective is that Bungie doesn't like loot cave shit and put in a ton of preemptive throttling to prevent people doing the same thing over and over and over and over for rewards. I don't think XP was throttled for any other reason than it's considered a reward the same as gear or glimmer is. I do think they fucked up by not exposing any of the throttling systems to the player, but I think the shitstorm resulting from it is fifty times louder than is actually warranted.

Bungie knew about the loot cave prior to release and didn’t care because it was less efficient than simply playing the game. They eventually fixed it because it generated more player reports than any thing else in the game's history up to 2015. People got mad and reported people for using the loot cave, others went in and took it upon themselves to sit in the cave to prevent others from using it, which in turn produced a bunch of reports. I think they have come to the conclusion that quick farming methods are ultimately not good for the game or player satisfaction, and thus try and squash them all, but their initial policy, at least was to assess whether it distorted the loot economy.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Finally got a Vigilance Wing last night. Hooooly shit. That thing is murderous. Took me a while to get a hang of the recoil on the 5 round bursts but once I did I was dropping fools left right and center with it. In addition to that, I finished my IB Titan armor set and Vigilance Wing was the last exotic I needed to catch em all. Just in time for the expansion right around the corner! Very excited for that.

It will kill most guardians in three body bursts.

Which makes it a completely insane teamshot weapon.

Also it looks like you are pointing at dog at people

A fucking big yappy dog that won't get the fuck out of the way when you are aiming down the back of it's neck, yeah.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I mean, I remember Hunter throwing knives not doing elemental damage and Bungie said they knew about it.

Suddenly it just went POOF - and 2 years later that issue was just fixed instantly!

I'm sure this "use multiple emote" thing they've talked about since Destiny 1 is right around the corner by now.

They are pretty heavily hinting at it being in the next update as per their twitch con stream.
    My perspective is that Bungie doesn't like loot cave shit and put in a ton of preemptive throttling to prevent people doing the same thing over and over and over and over for rewards. I don't think XP was throttled for any other reason than it's considered a reward the same as gear or glimmer is. I do think they fucked up by not exposing any of the throttling systems to the player, but I think the shitstorm resulting from it is fifty times louder than is actually warranted.

Bungie knew about the loot cave prior to release and didn’t care because it was less efficient than simply playing the game. They eventually fixed it because it generated more player reports than any thing else in the game's history up to 2015. People got mad and reported people for using the loot cave, others went in and took it upon themselves to sit in the cave to prevent others from using it, which in turn produced a bunch of reports. I think they have come to the conclusion that quick farming methods are ultimately not good for the game or player satisfaction, and thus try and squash them all, but their initial policy, at least was to assess whether it distorted the loot economy.

But here's something they could have found in basic testing: A guy sells maps for treasure chests. If a player goes from one chest to the next closest chest at normal speed, does that trigger the "anti-farm" contingency? Are we, possibly idiots for doing this?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Melee needs to be a 2-hit kill, regardless of Resilience. It is absolutely absurd that you can melee someone twice and they'll have a sliver of health. If you can get close enough to melee twice without dying? Fuck em, THEY should be dead.

Also, Tone Patrol is my new jam.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    As for the xp throttling System, I do indeed agree with Surfpossum and our confederates.

I would point out that in keeping with the "this is in keeping with Bungie’s approach” argument, Bungie have often stated that they want to incentivise people trying all sorts of things. But this doesn’t obviously incentivise anything, as it is far too obfuscated. If anything, it seems like it keeps the economies of reward stable without impacting the player experience by saying "public event farming debuff in effect" or having some system that prevents you from being able to chain public events.

I think that ideally the numbers shown ought be reflective of the reality the xp earned, but I am also surprised that it matters to anyone. None of my gameplay decisions revolve around the XP awarded other than when I am leveling a character, that this might be different for others is quite strange to me.

I am ALSO curious as to whether a similar system was in effect in D1

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Also lawl IB.

First match: 3.25
    Second match: 0.18 against a four stack with 2 kills and FOUR teammates dropping out before mercy rule was applied.

Fawst on
  • Options

But here's something they could have found in basic testing: A guy sells maps for treasure chests. If a player goes from one chest to the next closest chest at normal speed, does that trigger the "anti-farm" contingency? Are we, possibly idiots for doing this?

Ok.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Melee needs to be a 2-hit kill, regardless of Resilience. It is absolutely absurd that you can melee someone twice and they'll have a sliver of health. If you can get close enough to melee twice without dying? Fuck em, THEY should be dead.

Le problem is that this messes up some of the new perk systems: the power of Juggernaut Strikers, Protector Sentinals, Warrior Staff Supervisors and Titans with Synthoceps (and possibly Sunbreaker punchy bois) is that they can in particular circumstances 2 hit melee.

Whether or not it would be better, it is going to be a major, major rebalance if it were to be reimplemented.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    My theory is that loot based games are prone to community angst because at some level the most dedicated players know they are being manipulated

Also bungie is hella bad at PR

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    My theory is that loot based games are prone to community angst because at some level the most dedicated players know they are being manipulated

Interesting theory, I will meditate upon it

I don’t know if Bungie are particularly bad at PR, I don’t think they are good and the effects are certainly not what they want. But I am forced to wonder if there is any satisfaction condition within their reach due to the complexities of the game/development/internal shitshows, the breadth of the community, expectations around how fans are pandered to, general internet insanities etc.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Finally got a Vigilance Wing last night. Hooooly shit. That thing is murderous. Took me a while to get a hang of the recoil on the 5 round bursts but once I did I was dropping fools left right and center with it. In addition to that, I finished my IB Titan armor set and Vigilance Wing was the last exotic I needed to catch em all. Just in time for the expansion right around the corner! Very excited for that.

It will kill most guardians in three body bursts.

Which makes it a completely insane teamshot weapon.

Also it looks like you are pointing at dog at people

A fucking big yappy dog that won't get the fuck out of the way when you are aiming down the back of it's neck, yeah.

it's a good dog shrike

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh wow I'd vaguely heard about the loot cave but not that it was actually not a better source of loot. That's hilarious.

Another fun fact:
    Hopson mentioned that Bungie didn't expect the random drops to be as big of a deal as they ended up being. What they were expecting was for players to simply buy better gear, and to have random drops act as the cherry on top, so to speak. Instead, players have latched onto the RNG, and it's affecting their perception of the game.
    https://kotaku.com/bungie-explains-why-they-really-killed-destinys-loot-ca-1689513172

This is almost as bad as Blizzard thinking nobody would use the Auction House much in D3.

• Options

So I read the bolded as "we, the players," and was like, well, that is a little bit harsh but

• Options

I don’t know if Bungie are particularly bad at PR, I don’t think they are good and the effects are certainly not what they want. But I am forced to wonder if there is any satisfaction condition within their reach due to the complexities of the game/development/internal shitshows, the breadth of the community, expectations around how fans are pandered to, general internet insanities etc.

I don’t think it takes a CHARISMA WIZARD to realize that releasing a statement about experience problems then surreptitiously doubling the level quota was going to result in a shitstorm, actual effect on gameplay be damned

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Oh wow I'd vaguely heard about the loot cave but not that it was actually not a better source of loot. That's hilarious.

Another fun fact:
    Hopson mentioned that Bungie didn't expect the random drops to be as big of a deal as they ended up being. What they were expecting was for players to simply buy better gear, and to have random drops act as the cherry on top, so to speak. Instead, players have latched onto the RNG, and it's affecting their perception of the game.
    https://kotaku.com/bungie-explains-why-they-really-killed-destinys-loot-ca-1689513172

This is almost as bad as Blizzard thinking nobody would use the Auction House much in D3.

The problem with the idea of players buying better gear and not focusing on the RNG drops is that, for like 2-ish years of D1's 3 year lifetime that was simply not an option. Vendor gear was not better than god-roll guns. It was not even as good as god-roll guns. I would wager that if the best guns were available from vendors all along then yeah, people wouldn't have paid as much attention to RNG gun stats.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular

Another fun fact:

Hahahahaha... look at all that tower time.

• Options

Another fun fact:

The problem with the idea of players buying better gear and not focusing on the RNG drops is that, for like 2-ish years of D1's 3 year lifetime that was simply not an option. Vendor gear was not better than god-roll guns. It was not even as good as god-roll guns. I would wager that if the best guns were available from vendors all along then yeah, people wouldn't have paid as much attention to RNG gun stats.

Plus you could only earn 50 marks a week, for crucible and vanguard vendors. Which was SLOW AF

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Did vendor rolls change each week in Year 1?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, RNG was dropping superior gear -- so why would you settle for vendor gear?
    cB557 wrote: »

It changed, but not very often.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Felwinters lie tho

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Year 1, no. The vendor weapons only changed when they got replaced by the next DLC's weapons.

Think Taken King had some re-rolls, but I'm not 100% on that. Might've only happened when RoI came around. Definitely remember the original Hung Jury god roll got replaced with something less spectacular at some point.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    YES!!! Saladin finally gave me Gauntlets!!!

...too bad they're fucking Phoenix Strikes and not Iron Truage.

• Options

Another fun fact:

I mean, that's what makes it dumb thing to hope for on their part. Blizzard didn't realize that the Auction House would almost immediately be filled with the top 1% or whatever of items, making 99% of what you found worthless compared to something you could easily buy.

Sometimes people make assumptions that are really dumb in hindsight!

• Options
    Here's another simple QoL fix: put your current rep points (not level, but points into the level) on the symbol at the start of the point bar. Holy shit, how tough would that have been to code?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    YES!!! Saladin finally gave me Gauntlets!!!

...too bad they're fucking Phoenix Strikes and not Iron Truage.

You're not alone! Presently sitting at 4/5 for both my Warlock and Titan.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Another fun fact:

I mean, that's what makes it dumb thing to hope for on their part. Blizzard didn't realize that the Auction House would almost immediately be filled with the top 1% or whatever of items, making 99% of what you found worthless compared to something you could easily buy.

Not even just that. The totally random drop system at launch gave you a ton of things that would be good on another class you weren't playing or something that was a duplicate of what you had and you didn't exactly have a lot of use for those beyond converting them to currency.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Le problem is that this messes up some of the new perk systems: the power of Juggernaut Strikers, Protector Sentinals, Warrior Staff Supervisors and Titans with Synthoceps (and possibly Sunbreaker punchy bois) is that they can in particular circumstances 2 hit melee.

Whether or not it would be better, it is going to be a major, major rebalance if it were to be reimplemented.

I completely disagree. Melee is underpowered, full stop, regardless of perks.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Year 1, no. The vendor weapons only changed when they got replaced by the next DLC's weapons.

Think Taken King had some re-rolls, but I'm not 100% on that. Might've only happened when RoI came around. Definitely remember the original Hung Jury god roll got replaced with something less spectacular at some point.
    IIRC the Y2/Y3 weapon rolls changing started in the taken spring.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Is this guy supposed to be someone important? It was really hard to get through that whole video with him constantly being objectively wrong to the point of I am curious how much he actually played destiny 1 to remember the meta that incorrectly.

quick points:
    -He says energy weapons were better because they were better and more varied and you could use whatever. In actuality a lot of content required either icebreaker or that precision refill sniper, or you wouldnt get to go to the raid/nightfall, and he talked about IB and gally like they weren't near required exotics. Gally only eventually became not required if you have the purple one that does the exact same thing.
    -On the same point, energy ammo was much much more limited and you barely ever got to use it based on the shield they were using, or if it was the right power for that weeks nightfall.
    -He says halo isnt a power fantasy(?), his evidence is that you weild a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle at the same time (?)

I'll take being able to use energy all the time while only switching to my primary when the range is wrong for my energy weapon.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

[snip]

Is this guy supposed to be someone important? It was really hard to get through that whole video with him constantly being objectively wrong to the point of I am curious how much he actually played destiny 1 to remember the meta that incorrectly.

quick points:
    -He says energy weapons were better because they were better and more varied and you could use whatever. In actuality a lot of content required either icebreaker or that precision refill sniper, or you wouldnt get to go to the raid/nightfall, and he talked about IB and gally like they weren't near required exotics. Gally only eventually became not required if you have the purple one that does the exact same thing.
    -On the same point, energy ammo was much much more limited and you barely ever got to use it based on the shield they were using, or if it was the right power for that weeks nightfall.
    -He says halo isnt a power fantasy(?), his evidence is that you weild a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle at the same time (?)

I'll take being able to use energy all the time while only switching to my primary when the range is wrong for my energy weapon.
    Not that I don't disagree with him in whatever limited way I can having not played D1, but he says Halo isn't a power fantasy and despite that you can still have both a sniper rifle and a rocket launcher.

Of course, Halo is absolutely a power fantasy.

• Options

Another fun fact:

The Diablo 3 AH issue is I think really a good example of a lot of what I think it going on with Destiny 2's incentive systems. The basic idea of the AH was that people were fucking selling their shit to other players anyway. So Blizzard figured, let's just bring that in house where it's safer and people don't have to expose themselves to hacks and scams and other bullshit. It's a solid idea.

It just turns out what they didn't anticipate was that the friction involved in the trading system in Diablo 2, the annoyance of actually going and trading shit, was keeping the tons of issues that bringing trading into the game caused. The minute it was easy, everyone did it and the minute everyone did it the entire loot economy of the game imploded.

I think Destiny 2 has a lot of issues like this where they had good intentions about how to solve issues from the first game and, whoops, it turns out the unintended consequences of those solutions are a big problem on all their own.

• Options

I think it's really obvious with things like the Titan shoulder-charge. It's a big setup move and yet the damage is so low it's suicidal. You will hit them and not even pop their shields and then they will gun you down before you come out of the animation backswing and have your gun prepped to finish them off.

There's a definite need for some adjusting on several melee abilities at the very least.

• Options

Bungie are really bad at PR imo. Look, you can't make any online gaming community completely satisfied, no. But you can do a hell of a lot better job then they do. Their communication sucks. Not just the lack of it but the complete crappiness of it when they do communicate.

Like, I think Blizzard if nothing else demonstrates much better skill at this with several of their games. It's not so much about meeting community expectations or doing what they ask as it is being able to manage the community reaction properly.

There is an art to saying "We heard your complaints and we are totally looking into them" without actually promising anything that Bungie seems utterly oblivious too, as an example.

• Options

They did not. Until ROI they changed with major content updates. From memory, Vanilla, TDB, HoW, TTK, the update that brought us The Blighted Chalice, RoI then the change that had the vendor rolls change on the reg

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Another fun fact:

The Diablo 3 AH issue is I think really a good example of a lot of what I think it going on with Destiny 2's incentive systems. The basic idea of the AH was that people were fucking selling their shit to other players anyway. So Blizzard figured, let's just bring that in house where it's safer and people don't have to expose themselves to hacks and scams and other bullshit. It's a solid idea.

It just turns out what they didn't anticipate was that the friction involved in the trading system in Diablo 2, the annoyance of actually going and trading shit, was keeping the tons of issues that bringing trading into the game caused. The minute it was easy, everyone did it and the minute everyone did it the entire loot economy of the game imploded.

I think Destiny 2 has a lot of issues like this where they had good intentions about how to solve issues from the first game and, whoops, it turns out the unintended consequences of those solutions are a big problem on all their own.

I️ think what’s so crazy about all of this is is that you’re absolutely right, but the unintended consequences bungie is running into are partly due to them making things hidden and scuzzy when they know they have an incredibly detail oreiented section of the fan base that will analyze things until they figure it out. And while that’s not a majority of players it is a loud contingent of them, and it will get reported on to the other ones who don’t care to look. The diablo auction house makes sense because it requires you to extrapolate player behavior in a way that hasn’t really happened yet. Destiny 2 introduces problems that anyone who knows what nerds do could anticipate.

It’s like they took out an m16 and wondered how many times they could shoot their own foot.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

I don’t understand. I didn’t say melee was (or, was not) underpowered. My contention is that it’s current power level is part of the interclass balance and there would need to be a major, major rebalance to increase its power to being able to two-punch by default, which has nothing to do with the its relative power.

• Options

Bungie are really bad at PR imo. Look, you can't make any online gaming community completely satisfied, no. But you can do a hell of a lot better job then they do. Their communication sucks. Not just the lack of it but the complete crappiness of it when they do communicate.

Like, I think Blizzard if nothing else demonstrates much better skill at this with several of their games. It's not so much about meeting community expectations or doing what they ask as it is being able to manage the community reaction properly.

There is an art to saying "We heard your complaints and we are totally looking into them" without actually promising anything that Bungie seems utterly oblivious too, as an example.

My scepticism is that "we have heard your complaints and are looking into them" no matter how artful, isn’t going to cut a lot of ice and may in fact... make more ice. Pour more ice on the fire. Be as useful as a one armed carpenter?

Blizzard are, to my outsider perspective, in a much better place in terms of infrastructure, General game state and corporate structure than Bungie. Avoiding lying and avoiding saying "everything is always on fire in here" and still saying something interesting is probably a losers gambit anyway, and the ability to communicate to the player base that there are reasons that the things that they perceive to be a high priority are in fact not is going to be a challenge.

• Options

quick points:

I think it is supposed to be... only semi serious?

Slayerage is one of the main members of The Legend Himself, who tend to be world record holders for raids and do crazy pve shenanigans.

However, I agree that the substance is a load of distorted bollocks, which just goes to support my original thesis that people who are big names in the community are no more reliable a barometer of anything mechanical than anyone else and are just as prone to be taken in by motivated reasoning etc.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Bungie is absolutely bad at PR... they have near zero communication on relevant problems the playerbase has with their game, and what communication they have is like talking to my mother in law when she's not wearing her hearing aids. I'm talking to her about the hole that needs fixing in the roof and she's, without hearing a word I've said, telling me about a pie she's bringing over next week.

All the issues being raised by players on every available forum and venue possible that are continually going unaddressed unless a PC game mag posts an article, and their livestreams are vapidly talking about improved rewards with footage of two tokens and a blue.

One more time though... players are complaining about the ingame rewards/feedback/progression loop and the amazing super hyped footage they have is literally two of the thing we don't want instead of one of those things.

The fortnite devs made an adjustment that made AR's massively overpowered. They had it fixed in two days after players made them aware via reddit and their internal forums.

Now I get that fortnite is nothing like the scale of Destiny, but come on.

E - For context, in todays age of twitter/social media/dev feedback, constructive feedback with your playerbase is maybe the best PR you can muster.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.