Options

[US Tax Reform] Congress passes tax bill, hope you are a billionaire

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Next time a Republican complains about Obamacare being rammed through the process, well...

Michael Linden is a Fellow at the Roosevelt Institute and the Policy and Research Director at the Hub Project, a progressive organization that works to reform the tax code to benefit all Americans instead of just a few of the wealthy

For the benefit of scale, here it is with months added:

B74IfYFl.png

Spoilered for zomg huge, legible version:
    B74IfYF.png

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    "The GOP Accidentally Fucks Over Their Donors" would be just about the 3rd best Christmas present I can think of this year, so

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I mean....they're going to fix all this stuff and then pass it, folks

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

They will pass something. But it's starting to look like they won't get nearly as strong a bill as they wanted.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Yeah but they won't be able to do it under the cover of darkness without anyone knowing what they are doing before it is too late.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Yeah but they won't be able to do it under the cover of darkness without anyone knowing what they are doing before it is too late.

they just donated $170,000 to the campaign of a child molester

they don't care who knows what they're doing or why

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

I expect so too because they already got their feet in the door, but they're going to have to redo a bunch of math in the process, all while it polls worse and worse.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

they just donated $170,000 to the campaign of a child molester

they don't care who knows what they're doing or why

fair point

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

Mark Takano is a former high school teacher and a current Democratic Representative.

That is...a lot of red.

I love that the red appears to actually be hand written instead of typed as well.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Einzel wrote: »

Mark Takano is a former high school teacher and a current Democratic Representative.

That is...a lot of red.

I love that the red appears to actually be hand written instead of typed as well.

And unlike the tax bill, one can actually read it!

Imagine that.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Matev wrote: »
    "The GOP Accidentally Fucks Over Their Donors" would be just about the 3rd best Christmas present I can think of this year, so

http://alexanderlozada.com/iasip/?IlRoZSBHYW5nIFJld3JpdGVzIFVTIFRheCBDb2RlIg==

WACriminal on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Seriously that response by Rep Takano is nice.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/energy-environment/363496-coal-ceo-gop-tax-bill-wipes-us-out-destroys-thousands-of
    The CEO of one of the nation’s largest coal companies ripped the Senate tax-reform bill, saying late changes to the bill would “wipe out” coal mining jobs.

Robert Murray, founder and CEO of Murray Energy, said Tuesday that the tax hike on coal mining firms that would result from the changes would cancel out progress that President Trump has made on reviving the coal industry, according to CNN.

“We won’t have enough cash flow to exist,” Murray told CNNMoney. “This wipes out everything that President Trump has done for coal.”
    But keeping the alternative minimum tax, and the imposition of new limits on the interest deductions that businesses can mark off, would cost Murray Energy $60 million in taxes, Murray told CNN.
    This is hilarious.
    Just something on background, that always makes me laugh.

This is the same Robert Murray, of Murray Energy, that's suing John Oliver and HBO/Last Week Tonight for libel.

Eat at Arby’s, Bob. Kiss my ass.

FTFY
    How's that different from what I wrote?

Thatsthejoke.jpg

:P

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If it takes long enough, theoretically we could only need Collins or Flake to flip. I dunno how quickly Jones could be seated if he wins that race.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    If it takes long enough, theoretically we could only need Collins or Flake to flip. I dunno how quickly Jones could be seated if he wins that race.

As late as McConnell can possibly arrange.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Wait.

He gets to control this?

Is this going to be another Supreme Court fucking appointment where he's just going to ignore that it's supposed to happen?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Wait.

He gets to control this?

Is this going to be another Supreme Court fucking appointment where he's just going to ignore that it's supposed to happen?

Look at the bullshit they pulled when the Dems were trying to assemble their supermajority by seating Al Franken, and that was when the Pubs were in the minority.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

I think it's very optimistic to expect Doug Jones to win.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Optimistic, but special election turnout with a scandal plagued candidate is almost entirely unpredictable. It's definitely possible, which is why they are rushing this.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Optimistic, but special election turnout with a scandal plagued candidate is almost entirely unpredictable. It's definitely possible, which is why they are rushing this.

True, but between an accused child molester and a *shudder* democrat, I think most Alabamans will find the choice obvious.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Chuck Grassley won't be on the conference committee and is a little peeved about that ...

@realDonaldTrump I'm the most Senior member of Senate Finance Comm I was dropped as Conferee So I won't be in front line fighting for what u and I believe to cut taxes

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Chuck Grassley won't be on the conference committee and is a little peeved about that ...

@realDonaldTrump I'm the most Senior member of Senate Finance Comm I was dropped as Conferee So I won't be in front line fighting for what u and I believe to cut taxes
    While I do get his point, I'm glad his fee-fee's are hurt. Fuck him, and every one of these assholes that voted for this abomination, and now have to scramble to fix the very problem that could have been avoided by not trying to jam this through in the cover of the night.

Wouldn't have happened if you'd used regular order, treated the Democrats as the opposition and not the enemy, and worked towards making a tax plan that wasn't just a giveaway to the rich, that you'd be fine with the public seeing and weighing in on.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

True, but between an accused child molester and a *shudder* democrat, I think most Alabamans will find the choice obvious.

The fact that this race is so close in Alabama of all places, suggests that it’s not so obvious.

• Options
    As a side note, Republicans plan to use the tax plan as a reason why people shouldn't be on welfare anymore.
    Other House Republicans similarly argued that there would be “no excuses” for poor Americans to need welfare once economic growth took hold.

“Once we light this economy up, my brother, there’s going to be jobs for everybody. So there will be no excuses for anyone who can work to sit at home and not work,” Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) said. “If we pass tax reform, we have to have welfare reform. When you have a vibrant economy, there’s no reason for Americans to suffer on welfare.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/06/house-republicans-welfare-restrictions-are-needed-for-the-economy-to-grow/

• Options
    As a side note, Republicans plan to use the tax plan as a reason why people shouldn't be on welfare anymore.
    Other House Republicans similarly argued that there would be “no excuses” for poor Americans to need welfare once economic growth took hold.

“Once we light this economy up, my brother, there’s going to be jobs for everybody. So there will be no excuses for anyone who can work to sit at home and not work,” Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) said. “If we pass tax reform, we have to have welfare reform. When you have a vibrant economy, there’s no reason for Americans to suffer on welfare.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/06/house-republicans-welfare-restrictions-are-needed-for-the-economy-to-grow/

Hooray for not understanding the underlying issues that face your economy

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That quote might be the most delusional thing I've seen on the bill this week.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Or anything about the economy really. The guy is acting like we've got 10% U3 or something.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    That quote might be the most delusional thing I've seen on the bill this week.

I was about to suggest that it wasn't delusional, it was intentionally misleading, but then I saw that it came from House republicans, so yeah, it's delusion.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Or anything about the economy really. The guy is acting like we've got 10% U3 or something.

You know what's great...i don't know what that means, but like a cinnamon toast crunch commercial, even I can see that our lack of jobs is not due to a lack of money in the upper strata of our economy.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would like someone to ask (on the senate floor) exactly what the number is. What is the amount of wealth that the rich and the corporations need before the other 95% start seeing it?

I'd be interested in the answer

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I wish more people would understand that nobody thinks welfare is great or that being on welfare is great. What welfare is better than is the alternative which is poor children starving to death in the streets.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I wish more people would understand that nobody thinks welfare is great or that being on welfare is great. What welfare is better than is the alternative which is poor children starving to death in the streets.

There's lots of people who literally believe no one has ever starved in the US.

and prior to SS elder homelessness never happened because families all took in their parents

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    We are already very near full employment. There’s no one to work all of these magical new jobs in his ridiculous fantasy.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

He can use his newfound free time to spend his money on booze, women, and movies.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Higgins is an accelerationist?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    We are already very near full employment. There’s no one to work all of these magical new jobs in his ridiculous fantasy.

Sort of. A lot of people are underemployed or left the work force.

But not as many as he thinks.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Or that welfare even exists anymore. TANF has been a thing since before I could work. Plus, you don't have welfare for when the economy is running hot, you have it for when it inevitably stumbles. Automatic stabilizers are important because Andrew Mellon was wrong.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

You know what's great...i don't know what that means, but like a cinnamon toast crunch commercial, even I can see that our lack of jobs is not due to a lack of money in the upper strata of our economy.

U3 is the standard unemployment number. BLS publishes U1-U6, each category covering more people. U4-U6 covers unemployed people plus various flavors of underemployeed.

Main thing is that the unemployment rate in the US was 4.1% in October. That doesn't mean great jobs, just that there are jobs. 4.1% is rocking close to full employment, which is why the fed has been raising interest rates and why this idiot congresscritter is so freaking wrong about how tax reform will generate heaps of jobs so that people won't have to sit at home or whatever the hell he's gibbering about.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    And any random person can't do every possible job, aka "Workers aren't fungible".

If you create a bunch of tech jobs that require advanced education, you can't just stick a laid off factory worker in there.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    alot of the workforce participation drops was people in their 50s and 60s who lost jobs in 2008. No one wants to hire people that old so they end up just riding out the last few years until they get Medicare and SS