As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Clearly an intergalactic dildo.

Made of Vibranium.

Surrounded by yer mum.

Hey, I thought this object was long and thin.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's your Mum
    It's true, my Mum does sound cool.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So anyone remember f'ing Mirai?!
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/vigilante-botnet-infects-iot-devices-before-blackhats-can-hijack-them/

So remember that botnet Mirai?
    It's an open source botnet that targets internet connected devices (Internet of Things) that don't usually have protection from viruses using lists of factory default usernames and passwords. The botnet is so pervasive that even after a factory reboot, devices will be reinfected within minutes unless their username and passwords are changed immediately. It's also jealous and burns out other malware. Last year it turned internet connected cameras, refrigerators and other things into a tool that DDOS'd major internet Domain Name Systems and internet backbone services, among others.

Mirai was(/IS!) one of the most widespread and powerful open source botnets on the internet. Want to know why is exists?! F'ING MINECRAFT!

Three americans were looking into the commercial viability of minecraft servers where some are pulling in around $100,000 a month. They also cottoned onto the shady underside of it, where servers regularly DDOS each other in order to move people away from competitor's servers and onto their own. So these three yahoos created the Mirai botnet to target competitors and companies offering DDOS mitigation solutions.

When they attacked French host OVH, it was because they were trying to take down their Minecraft DDOS mitigation service VAC.
    When they hit backbone services, it was to take down Minecraft hosts.
    When they attacked proxy services, they were attacking DDOS mitigation tool providers.
    A Brazilian ISP was taken down to attack Minecraft servers hosted through it.

Then they turned the project into a plan to make the botnet as big as possible. They changed the source code multiple times over the year to make it more powerful and harder to get rid of. Then they released the source code to hacking forums. This is where things went off the rails as now anyone could use it. Over 15,000 Mirai botnet DDOS attacks between September 2016 and February 2017.

Because some guys wanted their goddamn Minecraft server to use DDOSing as an economic model, they gave the internet a superweapon.
    I'm still not sure who I'm more angry at, these guys or the companies that destroyed the concept of internet security to make their IoT products a little cheaper.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I blame the companies creating the insecure IoT shit, easily
    it's like sprinkling sugar all over your kitchen and then complaining when you get fucking ants

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The good news is that Mirai was only a superweapon as long as it was a united tool. The more people who try and use it, the less potent it becomes. The number of targets is growing much more rapidly than the number of bots available.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I blame the companies creating the insecure IoT shit, easily
    it's like sprinkling sugar all over your kitchen and then complaining when you get fucking ants

Oh yeah, they totally brought this down on all of us. But the people who created a DDOS deathstar to take out competition for their Minecraft servers, including whole ISPs and Internet Backbone providers, still really infuriates me.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    personally I cannot wait for these hacks to increase in scale

where capitalism has evolved into its end form and large corporations move from openly hacking each other to embracing all-out total warfare

where I can finally be purchased by a corporation, have impulse-control implants shunted into my brain, and then be pumped full of paranoia inducing drugs as I enforce PepsiCo's trademarks

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

where capitalism has evolved into its end form and large corporations move from openly hacking each other to embracing all-out total warfare

where I can finally be purchased by a corporation, have impulse-control implants shunted into my brain, and then be pumped full of paranoia inducing drugs as I enforce PepsiCo's trademarks

Enjoy Coca-Cola, scum.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »

Enjoy Coca-Cola, scum.

tracing IP and cross-referencing with Verizon known dissident list to acquire place of residence

Brand Awareness Squad has been dispatched on target

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/vigilante-botnet-infects-iot-devices-before-blackhats-can-hijack-them/

It's an open source botnet that targets internet connected devices (Internet of Things) that don't usually have protection from viruses using lists of factory default usernames and passwords. The botnet is so pervasive that even after a factory reboot, devices will be reinfected within minutes unless their username and passwords are changed immediately. It's also jealous and burns out other malware. Last year it turned internet connected cameras, refrigerators and other things into a tool that DDOS'd major internet Domain Name Systems and internet backbone services, among others.

Mirai was(/IS!) one of the most widespread and powerful open source botnets on the internet. Want to know why is exists?! F'ING MINECRAFT!

Three americans were looking into the commercial viability of minecraft servers where some are pulling in around $100,000 a month. They also cottoned onto the shady underside of it, where servers regularly DDOS each other in order to move people away from competitor's servers and onto their own. So these three yahoos created the Mirai botnet to target competitors and companies offering DDOS mitigation solutions.

When they attacked French host OVH, it was because they were trying to take down their Minecraft DDOS mitigation service VAC.
    When they attacked proxy services, they were attacking DDOS mitigation tool providers.

Then they turned the project into a plan to make the botnet as big as possible. They changed the source code multiple times over the year to make it more powerful and harder to get rid of. Then they released the source code to hacking forums. This is where things went off the rails as now anyone could use it. Over 15,000 Mirai botnet DDOS attacks between September 2016 and February 2017.

Because some guys wanted their goddamn Minecraft server to use DDOSing as an economic model, they gave the internet a superweapon.
    I'm still not sure who I'm more angry at, these guys or the companies that destroyed the concept of internet security to make their IoT products a little cheaper.

Excuse me sir but this is a Mirai

2017-toyota-mirai_100565741_m.jpg

And it's powered by fucking hydrogen. Suck it, science!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Excuse me sir but this is a Mirai

2017-toyota-mirai_100565741_m.jpg

And it's powered by fucking hydrogen. Suck it, science!

We're talking about cool Minecraft stuff. Get your dumb nerd shit out of the cool hacker thread

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm getting a considerable kick out of the fact that multiple grown-up news sources and chunks of the Pentagon are talking more or less seriously about recent UFO study programs all of a sudden this week. Like ... what?

Elsewhere in space news, NASA's talking about its finalists for the next flagship space probe tomorrow afternoon. I'm torn between the Ocean Worlds mission or the Venus lander with an actual timeframe for the surface as far as my favorites go.

• Options
    Is this Venus probe going to be the clockwork rover? Because that little guy is pretty cool.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a Venus rover would be pretty awesome

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I came across this article last week and thought it was too cool not to write up: A ‘Game Changer’ for Patients with Irregular Heart Rhythm - NYTimes (x/p D&D).

Normal cardiac rhythm is controlled by electrical impulses that travel through the walls of the heart in an action potential. These impulses propagate themselves forward along a particular route through the cardiac muscle, allowing the heart to contract in an orchestrated way to move blood where it needs to go.

Under certain conditions, this electrical conduction system can be disrupted. In particular, physical injury to the heart (such as from a heart attack) leaves behind scar tissue in the region that was starved of blood flow. Since this scar tissue conducts electricity poorly and irregularly, the electrical impulses get routed around that blockade so that the heart keeps beating. However, this rerouting of the action potential can disrupt normal rhythm by creating a spiral circuit where an impulse is trapped in place like a pinwheel, or by inappropriate spawning of electrical signals from the injury scar itself. These structural changes to electrical conductance in the heart can cause arrhythmias called ventricular tachycardia (or V-tach), putting the patient at risk of sudden cardiac death.

An episode of V-tach can be interrupted by electrical cardioversion, which is when an arrhythmic patient is shocked in order to “reset” a series of runaway heartbeats. Patients susceptible to V-tach can be outfitted with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD), which allows V-tach to be interrupted away from a hospital or portable defibrillator station. These devices have some drawbacks, though: shocks decrease quality of life and increase mortality, ICDs are an implanted medical device, they don’t prevent future V-tach, getting an ICD shock is terribly uncomfortable, and patients with installed ICDs are at risk of psychological distress.

Given the drawbacks of ICDs, cardiologists have developed a method of directly treating the region of the heart responsible for creating V-tach. Dubbed radiofrequency ablation, this surgical procedure uses a catheter-based probe to burn the region of cardiac muscle spawning the improper electrical signals. This technique can also be used to treat other medical conditions where targeted destruction of tissue is necessary, such as in certain cancers. So far, the evidence available suggests that ablation can prevent V-tach from reoccurring and decreases the number of ICD shocks sustained by a patient with an installed device. However, ablation is still an invasive procedure and carries risks of infection and postoperative pain, and is contraindicated for patients on blood thinners. Furthermore, there are certain V-tach substrates that ablation cannot fix (for example, if the arrhythmia site is too deep in the muscle wall for the probe to effectively heat and destroy).

Which brings us to the article published last week in the New England Journal of Medicine: Noninvasive Cardiac Radiation for Ablation of Ventricular Tachycardia – NEJM (paywalled)

In this pilot study, cardiologists at Washington University in Saint Louis utilized a noninvasive method of tissue destruction, stereotactic radiation, to ablate the arrhythmogenic site in five patients at high risk of recurrent V-tach. First, the arrhythmia site was mapped in high resolution using magnetic resonance imaging combined with electrical recordings from a network of electrodes placed on the chest. Once the precise 3D structure of the problematic region in the heart was determined, they used stereotactic body radiation therapy (a method they coopted from cancer treatment) to precisely destroy the heart tissue that was spawning these arrhythmias. In follow-up for the five patients, the study team found that this noninvasive method of ablation effectively reduced the likelihood their patients would experience a recurrent V-tach episode, and in some patients cardiac function markedly improved.

These are promising results from a proof-of-concept study, and the study authors are enrolling a Phase 1-2 trial based on the success of their pilot effort. There are a number of potential outstanding concerns that a larger study group needs to address, such as the risks of off-target radiation damage and how effectively it improves outcomes in a properly-sized study group, but the prospect of a noninvasive approach to treat cardiac arrhythmias is very exciting.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    CjtPhmzUvK7rbgv_7vpBQSZE8SWKn_7ty0p6Pi_33Kw.jpg?w=460&s=6b0d1e8ec0ba94f3fc6a7bc9432e07ef

Xehalus on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm getting a considerable kick out of the fact that multiple grown-up news sources and chunks of the Pentagon are talking more or less seriously about recent UFO study programs all of a sudden this week. Like ... what?

Ufology and "disclosure" are still a big thing

Hillary Clinton made a promise that she would look into it if she was elected president and apparently Bill Clinton already wanted to open the files during his presidency or something

Of course it's a lot of energy applied in a bogus place, but it's a symptom of general unease with how agencies inside the US government conduct business

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Trump's core are big on UFO conspiracies, so pumping this news out now will help distract from the investigation.

• Options
    Are they? I don't know. The Clintons mostly seemed the ones who were pandering, but there's a lot of love/hate.

• Options
    It's strangely hilarious

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/812362/Hillary-Clinton-aliens-UFO-Unacknowledged-Dr-Steven-Greer-John-Podesta
    Hillary Clinton 'KNOWS aliens exist' and 'would have outed truth if she became President'

Dr Steven Greer, whose work to "get world governments to admit intelligent aliens are visiting Earth," is the focus of the film is convinced Mrs Clinton knows more than she is letting on about the subject.
    [...]
    Dr Greer said: "There's no question in my mind that Hillary Clinton is aware of the issue. “Her campaign chairperson John Podesta came out in favour of disclosure and said that the government should come forward with this information. And he remained a disclosure advocate all the way through the campaign."

Disclosure activists had hoped "the truth would come out is she won," but their hopes were dashed with the victory of Donald Trump who has remained silent on the often ridiculed subject.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

(insert the obvious gif here)

General noises to the effects of a week or so for fit checks and the like, another weekish for static test fires, and then a few days after that a dude's gonna throw a car in the general direction of Mars.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Huh, I kinda just assumed they'd roll it out vertical. But looking up the comparisons, it is significantly smaller than the SV.

• Options
    Falcon family rockets don't roll out vertical. The transporter-erector-launcher isn't stabilized in a way that would allow that (see the enormous crawlers used for Saturn V and STS). Atlas and Delta are vertically integrated, but Atlas requires a massive rail system to stabilize the assembled stack on its way to the pad, and Delta is assembled in place and the integration facility is rolled away after assembly.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Being able to build and transport it on the ground seems like it'd be a better thing anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yes and no. Horizontal integration (Falcon, Soyuz) is easier from a ground systems perspective. But it also requires that the payload be stabilized in two directions (horizontal for handling and transport, vertical for launch) which comes at the expense of size and payload mass. Certain payloads (DoD in particular) require vertical integration because they're either too delicate or can't spare the mass for horizontal stabilization.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Has anyone reversed the roles of the crawler and assembly building?
    Like made a fixed pad and whatnot then built a mobile assembly structure that could move away from the pad/construction area?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Has anyone reversed the roles of the crawler and assembly building?
    Like made a fixed pad and whatnot then built a mobile assembly structure that could move away from the pad/construction area?
    Falcon family rockets don't roll out vertical. The transporter-erector-launcher isn't stabilized in a way that would allow that (see the enormous crawlers used for Saturn V and STS). Atlas and Delta are vertically integrated, but Atlas requires a massive rail system to stabilize the assembled stack on its way to the pad, and Delta is assembled in place and the integration facility is rolled away after assembly.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    a Venus rover would be pretty awesome

wouldn't it basically have to be a bolo

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

Grand Canyon time lapse records rare cloud inversion
    https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4092876802/grand-canyon-time-lapse-records-rare-cloud-inversion

Neat!

• Options
    That is so cool.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And now for something completely different: a book review.

It's odd to be disappointed in a Carl Sagan book.

I don't read most Sagan books for science education, simply because the man passed two decades ago ago and even the basics of science have shifted in the intervening years. I get them more for historical perspective, and sometimes hope. (For example, in Billions and Billions, he discusses the challenge of climate change, which they knew was happening and knew the basic mechanism of definitively even then, and he specifically points out how a determined group of scientists, nations, and citizens managed to get CFCs banned after years of effort despite significant industry pushback.)

Dragons of Eden is nearly as well-written as some of Sagan's later works, but he had yet to develop that "common touch", for lack of a better term, that would become his signature. His writing style wasn't folksy by any means but it was conversational and inviting. He could make it seem, to the proverbial layman, even complex scientific concepts were understandable. Dragons of Eden comes off a bit stilted in comparison. In addition, while Sagan's politics would become (and in many ways still are) very progressive, Dragons was written in the late 70s, when accepted terminology .

Dragons of Eden is also a book written in the 70s about neuroscience. So while he puts to rest the "you only use about 10% of your brain" thing, e.g., he does put a great deal of stock in strong hemispheric localization of the brain's functions, which modern neuroscience knows is not nearly so rigid. It is odd to read outdated science in a Sagan book and not have him comment out how and when it became outdated.

This is not to say it's not a good read--it's still Sagan--but I'd argue Dragons of Eden is of historical value only at this point. Even Sagan completionists might not feel the need to read it except as context for his later development as a writer, scientist, and educator.

(Oh and much as I love the man, and as much as I know no scientist can truly be omnidisciplinary, it's noteworthy that he's an astronomer and he wrote and entire book about neuroscience. I in part blame Sagan for the fact that almost all of our science educators are physicists and cosmologists and astronomers, and yet none of them can stop themselves from holding forth like an authority on "squishy sciences".)

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    spacex launched a satellite sunday, and it might be lost, but it's apparently a classified mission so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the first stage landed back on earth safely though

here's a pretty picture of the launch
    8jkukgakvq801.jpg

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    vOaDMFa.jpg

this was the coolest place to post this

Xehalus on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    vOaDMFa.jpg

No all seeing eye? I am disappointed.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Zandracon wrote: »
    spacex launched a satellite sunday, and it might be lost, but it's apparently a classified mission so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

more on this:
    What is Zuma?
    It was a government satellite or spacecraft built by Northrop Grumman, which contracted with SpaceX to launch it into low-Earth orbit. By various accounts, this was a hugely valuable asset, potentially worth a billion dollars or more. (SpaceX founder Elon Musk reportedly told some of his employees it was the most important thing the company had ever launched). There has also been a huge amount of secrecy around the launch, even more so than with typical national security payloads, to the point that the government agency paying for, and using it, have not been disclosed.
    What is at stake?
    For taxpayers, there's the loss of an asset worth a billion dollars or more.

For SpaceX, this was just the third launch for the US military, at a time when the company is seeking more lucrative launch contracts for spy and communications satellites. Although it has cut launch prices dramatically around the world, critics of SpaceX are constantly whispering that the company is unreliable even though it had a sterling launch record in 2017 of 18 launches and 18 successes.

For Northrop Grumman, there could be a hit to its satellite business.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-about-the-secretive-zuma-payload/#p3

Brolo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    vOaDMFa.jpg

Now imagine when it was brand new, all shining white polished limestone…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »

more on this:
    What is Zuma?
    It was a government satellite or spacecraft built by Northrop Grumman, which contracted with SpaceX to launch it into low-Earth orbit. By various accounts, this was a hugely valuable asset, potentially worth a billion dollars or more. (SpaceX founder Elon Musk reportedly told some of his employees it was the most important thing the company had ever launched). There has also been a huge amount of secrecy around the launch, even more so than with typical national security payloads, to the point that the government agency paying for, and using it, have not been disclosed.
    What is at stake?
    For taxpayers, there's the loss of an asset worth a billion dollars or more.

For SpaceX, this was just the third launch for the US military, at a time when the company is seeking more lucrative launch contracts for spy and communications satellites. Although it has cut launch prices dramatically around the world, critics of SpaceX are constantly whispering that the company is unreliable even though it had a sterling launch record in 2017 of 18 launches and 18 successes.

For Northrop Grumman, there could be a hit to its satellite business.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-about-the-secretive-zuma-payload/#p3

There are WAY too many people trying as hard as they can to shit all over Tesla. While I don't agree with the way the company treats most of its employees, it's really obvious in some cases where people with ties to the military industrial complex or fossil-fuel related industries attempt to smear Tesla at every opportunity. Now, I'm not saying arstechnica is owned by a McDonnell Douglas-General Motors joint venture or anything like that, but some of their information definitely seems to be coming from sources with an obvious bias - "critics of SpaceX are constantly whispering that the company is unreliable even though it had a sterling launch record in 2017 of 18 launches and 18 successes" - why even include that in the article? Which critics? Give us names!

• Options
    I'm also not sure where they got the "billion dollars" analysis from - nobody knows what's on the satellite, or the details of the deal between SpaceX and Northrop Gundam

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It was actually just a big box full of copies of an ill thought out comic book NG wanted to get rid of.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is it so secret that they are telling us it's failed when it actually hasn't?

This discussion has been closed.