ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I want to do an asynchronous D&D D&D where I DM a game and everyone posts what they want to do

Arch did this once and if I recall correctly I ended up in a gay insect harem.

swap the s and the c and you got a stew going, baby

This is how most social insects work, iirc, so

When I first read this I tried to shoehorn "s and c" into chromosome or gene designations.

Like imagine if the conversation was "swap the z and the w and you got a stew going / that's how moths work, iirc"

That's how birds work though

And moths! And lizards! Wait you said moths

Wait lizards, really?

brb

I'm pretty sure some lizards are ZW. I know frogs can be

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    XX/XY ain't shit, ZZ/ZW is cool

Wait actually hmm

In XY systems that homogametic sex is women, and in ZW the homogametic sex is men

So XY makes homo ladies and ZW makes homo men

So choose based on your appropriate juvenile jokes I guess

Wait don't you have this backwards

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Orks as the underclass has been done to death while settings where orks are the industrial capitalist class and elves are sickly workers who are gaunt and thin partly because of their conditions hasn't

Couscous on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    As a white man I usually stay out of it and let other people talk about racism. Seems safer that way, and I won't have to stick my foot in my mouth like twenty times in a conversation.

on a more real level, I don't do this except when the conversation about racism is one being had by white progressives. I still haven't spoken much around [chat] about my experiences growing up in rural Louisiana.

Didn't they make a movie about you being raised in the south?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079367/

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    As a white man I usually stay out of it and let other people talk about racism. Seems safer that way, and I won't have to stick my foot in my mouth like twenty times in a conversation.

Meh. I think people are overstating how problematic it is. Sometimes someone's only trusted resources is cis heterosexual white guy. For example, I've passed on a lot about what I've learned about trans folks and their struggles from our wonderful folks here to a lot of folks. Sure I'll point them to better resources than me. But people like to hear things from people they trust. So I'll still do my best to inform to the best of my ability while trying to point them to more direct resources if possible.

There's nothing wrong with white people explaining things to the ignorant. As long as they're not trying to pass themselves off as the perfect end all be all resource. But since we are still majority players in a lot of common discussion. I think it's actually essential that we do pass on our learned knowledge and experiences on this sort of thing.

• Options
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ok so

I think I slept around 24 hours total over my weekend, and after being awake long enough for my work shift I am right back to feeling like I need to sleep for a few more hours. This..this is maybe not normal?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Orks as the underclass has been done to death while settings where orks are the industrial capitalist class while elves are sickly workers who are gaunt and thin partly because of their conditions hasn't

... Arcanum?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Groups without perspective on a certain issue can be wrong in systematic, harmful ways. I think it’s useful to call that out. But in the micro sense, I try to keep in mind that there’s a ‘as a _____,’ bad opinion about everything. My favorite moment in a topical thread is when someone says actually I’m black or gay or trans or a soldier or a father and I think this unpopular thing. At least it gets non dismissive engagement.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Wait actually hmm

In XY systems that homogametic sex is women, and in ZW the homogametic sex is men

No, he got it right

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Wait actually hmm

So XY systems makes homo ladies (i.e. XX) and ZW systems makes homo men (i.e. ZZ).

I typed it weird. Here's an edit that makes it make more sensr

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Wait actually hmm

No, he got it right

Ah yes, he did. I AM SORRY ARCH I WILL NEVER DOUBT U AGAIN

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular

Wait actually hmm

I'm not a science, but... aren't cis women xx, thus homogeneous chromosomes, so it sounds right.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh chat

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Groups without perspective on a certain issue can be wrong in systematic, harmful ways. I think it’s useful to call that out. But in the micro sense, I try to keep in mind that there’s a ‘as a _____,’ bad opinion about everything. My favorite moment in a topical thread is when someone says actually I’m black or gay or trans or a soldier or a father and I think this unpopular thing. At least it gets non dismissive engagement.

did you see the interview sig posted from the kylo ren guy

guy's had a weird life

sig.gif
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    what does this tell us about ZZ Top then?

answer: lizardmen

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Child elves, being really scrawn, should work really well as child laborers doing dangerous machinery work.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

It's trivial to find somebody who is member of $_group to express whatever goofy opinion you want.

Which is why defenses like "my black friend says that it's okay if I say the n-word" are silly even if you interpret them charitably. (Interpreted uncharitably, Ron Howard voice: "He doesn't have any black friends.")

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Wait actually hmm

So XY systems makes homo ladies (i.e. XX) and ZW systems makes homo men (i.e. ZZ).

Is there a definition of male that's universally useful? Ie. has a peen falls apart at some point, as does raises young in ovaries.

edit: like in broader phylogeny. Not referring to individual human cases.

VishNub on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular

Wait actually hmm

Pokemon has gotten way too complicated for me.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    X0 sex determinism is pretty neat.

I'd not heard of ZW before

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Arch is just being cisnormative and transexclusionary, again.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    XYZ aint shit, ZZ Top is cool

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

I didn't even mean that. I meant like trees and seahorses.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Wait actually hmm

No, he got it right

Ah yes, he did. I AM SORRY ARCH I WILL NEVER DOUBT U AGAIN
    I will continue to doubt Arch. Can't trust a six-legger.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Also a bunch of twitter arguments about Bright/racism segued into Zootopia and I'm like "Ok yea I see what you mean but dammit I like that one."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Orks as the underclass has been done to death while settings where orks are the industrial capitalist class while elves are sickly workers who are gaunt and thin partly because of their conditions hasn't

With this edit, Animal Farm counts.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    i liked the d:os2 twist of having elves be cannibals but then it had like a real reason instead of being just a cultural practice
    give me a game where you hear about these monstrous cannibals from across the sea and then eventually you find out that its just rumors stemming from misunderstanding of transubstantiation

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Someone I know said they liked Bright except for the shoehorned in race stuff, so I’m wondering what they actually liked

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

oh first we let the gays marry and now trees are getting married to seahorses

Treehorses? not in my america!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Wait actually hmm

Is there a definition of male that's universally useful? Ie. has a peen falls apart at some point, as does raises young in ovaries.

Whichever sex has the most motile gamete usually gets assigned as male by biologists.

Like, if we are from an alien species with a totally different genetic code... If I deposit my gametes on a rock and you squirt your gametes to swim over to that rock, you're the male and I'm the female.

There are weird exceptions, of course. Biology is weird and messy and biologists are just trying to classify things that don't have clear boundaries.

Feral on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Everywhere else that I've heard Bright mentioned it's been positive stuff. I'll probably give it a go at some point.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

oh first we let the gays marry and now trees are getting married to seahorses

Treehorses? not in my america!

In seahorse society the men raise the children while the women work. Social order = upended.

• Options

T_T sorry friendos i didnt mean it

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Someone I know said they liked Bright except for the shoehorned in race stuff, so I’m wondering what they actually liked

80% of the movie is a will smith buddy cop chase movie with some decent fight scenes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm reading through (an abridged version of) Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Dynasty Warriors wasn't kidding, you really don't want to pursue Lu Bu.

[...] Lu Bu returned to sound the challenge, and the eight lords answered it. Gongsun Zan thrust his spear into the air and took on Lu Bu, only to flee after a brief clash. Lu Bu gave Red Hare free rein and came pounding after Gongsun Zan. The horse's great speed and stamina brought him close behind. Lu Bu leveled his halberd, aiming for the center of Gongsun Zan's back.
    To the side of the action stood a single warrior, his eyes rounding, his whiskers bristling. Holding high his eighteen-span snake-headed spear, he flew at Lu Bu, shouting mightily, "Stay! Bastard with three fathers! Know me for Zhang Fei of Yan!" Lu Bu veered from Gongsun Zan to confront the new challenger. Zhang Fei's fighting spirit flashed at this welcome chance. The two crossed and tangled more than fifty times. Lord Guan, seeing that neither could best the other, urged his horse forward and, flourishing his crescent-moon blade, Green Dragon, attacked from another side. The three horsemen formed a triangle. They fought another thirty bouts, but Lu Bu was unconquerable.

And the poem describing Lu Bu:

Dong Zhuo's man, Lu Bu, warrior without peer,
    Far surpassed the champions of his sphere:
    In armor clad, a dragon etched in scales,
    His headpiece fledged with gallant pheasant tails,
    His jagged jade belt scored with lion jaws,
    A phoenix spread in flight; his surcoat soars.
    His chafing charger stirred a fearsome wind,
    In every eye his halberd's piercing glint.
    No lord could face his call to brave the field:
    Their hearts went faint, their senses reeled.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I nearly had a heart attack

I took an at-home drug test in preparation for the upcoming real thing

Control: +
    Drug: +
    Me: ded
    Box: “Visible readings on Control and Drug lines indicate a negative result,”
    Me: still ded

• Options
    Those who live in treehorses shouldn't throw hooves.

• Options
    Bright had the potential to have interesting things to say about race, but it was made by Trigger Warning productions, and thus it basically avoided all the interesting conversations but had some good visuals and acting so I give it a 6/10

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Child elves, being really scrawn, should work really well as child laborers doing dangerous machinery work.

And my god, they stay children for decades, centuries even!

Its the perfect slave labor

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.