As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Neuromancer has plenty of issues but, like, it was his first novel? Super impressive. I should actually read more of his stuff. IIRC he's an interesting dude based on interviews.

Every Gibson book is fun to read and delightfully well-written. He is so stylish...

I suspect you might prefer the 'future from the '00s ' series--Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History--to the 'future from the 80s' or 'future from the 90s' series (neuromancer, count zero, mona lisa overdrive; virtual light, idoru, all tomorrow's parties). The Peripheral is cool, too.

Pattern Recognition is the only other one I've read, but I really enjoyed it. Need to read more Gibson.
    I've always enjoyed the term "Lombard" from that book. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I ate breakfast 'food' from Burger King. It was fucking heavy with butter and I feel awful.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    i imagine how much you think the world sucks right now at least in part depends on what point of your life you were experiencing between 2007 and 2012

like, say, if you had just graduated college and were thrown into a world that had fallen apart under the weight of the excesses of your parents' generation, i suspect you would think everything sucks more than others might

there is a pretty clear dividing line between people who had ample opportunity in their 20s and those who haven't

dude that's just 5 years and the job market is on fire right now!

I've had my retirement deleted twice by bubbles bursting - moaning how tough it was during 50% of the recent recessions does not resonate!

how did it get deleted?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    i imagine how much you think the world sucks right now at least in part depends on what point of your life you were experiencing between 2007 and 2012

like, say, if you had just graduated college and were thrown into a world that had fallen apart under the weight of the excesses of your parents' generation, i suspect you would think everything sucks more than others might

there is a pretty clear dividing line between people who had ample opportunity in their 20s and those who haven't

I finished my undergraduate degree in 2008

Everything is ashes

I entered the job market at the beginning of 2007, got laid off in 2008.

things are pretty good

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I also question whether the millennial "tone" is bright, poppy, and optimistic; I'd have been more likely to peg it as nihilistic absurdism

I think there's some strong dadaist undercurrents and similarities like the total rejection of the society we grew up in because we see it as silly and wrong and completely defeated by itself (throwing us knowingly into fucking endless and senseless war, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless Great Recession, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless assaults both micro- and macroscopic against the powerless, etc etc etc), and I think the core root of it (our response) is absurdism, how completely stupid the rules and baselines that older generations have constructed are

There are of course strains of optimism that can come out of such attempts at rebellion, the forging of new ideals and worldviews, but I think some of the brighter stuff can just be willful distraction

I prefer the utter surrealism and stupidity of the SNL Dear Sister skit and the modern internet at large

Within any generation there's only a small percentage that actually tries to affect change anyway.

There aren't any rose colored glasses for millennials though. We know this world sucks. We know it's always sucked. Without being fixated on returning to a fantasy maybe we'll do better.

that's the thing though - it doesn't suck.

I am sick as shit of the WORLD HAS GONE TO SHIT thing

no it fucking hasn't jesus christ calm the fuck down

it was always shit, got it

edit: :razz:

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    C is the problem in academia FYI

most tiny liberal arts schools (paying barely 50k/year!) are getting hundreds of qualified applicants to their one open position a year

then the (older) faculty can't agree on which one of these bright eyed youngsters to hire so they cancel the search

or they offer the position to the guy who already has tenure and he declines and they cancel the search

or they offer the position to the tenured guy, he declines, then they offer the position to the next person in line (who is already a tenure tracked faculty member) and the postdocs dont even rate on the scale

all three of those things happened here during our last search

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I ate breakfast 'food' from Burger King. It was fucking heavy with butter and I feel awful.

That crossainwich ain't bad.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I've had my retirement deleted twice by bubbles bursting - moaning how tough it was during 50% of the recent recessions does not resonate!

job market on fire

yet

wages in the toilet

things are fucked up

I mean sure the job will pay joke wages with no benefits and be completely dehumanizing but hey if I get fired on a whim at least I'll get to be homele wait

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

how did it get deleted?

he's talking about the giant stock market crashes I assume

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

"Just 5 years" is quite significant when it's 50% of your working life.

if what you're saying is that people in that timeframe have a problem with perspective and longterm thinking, as a father of three of 'em I can at least partially agree.

• Options

if what you're saying is that people in that timeframe have a problem with perspective and longterm thinking, as a father of three of 'em I can at least partially agree.

none of your kids is in that timeframe?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Dude. Perspective please. Your situation is not at all analogous to those just entering the job market. Getting turbofucked right as you enter the job market is incredibly bad and takes a very long time to recover from.

Like I have a friend with a very similar situation to me. I graduated 4 years earlier and was steady before things went to shit. He didn't. The difference in our pay, savings and general situation is stark, even compared directly to me from four years ago.

Also the parts of the economy that are on fire are not often the parts that benefit someone that age.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If the job market is on fire then how come I don't have a job and I haven't applied anywhere?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

If you're under the age of like 30-32 the world has never as an adult shown you anything other than anxiety, neglect, and uncertainty.

If the relative propserity of the Boomer's time turned then into this it'll be interesting to see what we end up as.

I come from privilege so honestly this doesn't resonate for me as a 2010 grad.

I do wonder if the relative difficulty of getting an academic job contributed significantly to my leaving academia, but honestly, I don't think it was the major factor. I did have a vivid dream last night of visiting Janelia research campus, where I did the last two years of my PhD. I saw my advisor but avoided eye contact with him. My (expired) ID card said 'postdoc' on it and the cafeteria lady was like, 'wow, you look miserable in this picture', and I was like 'I know; that's why I left academia.' Ok subconscious; thanks? I know I have feelings about grad school?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    The author of this post had an on-campus interview and didn't make the cut, and we hired three people who already had tenure-track jobs at other universities

he was a postdoc for five years

FIVE

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Yeah that's what I had. I mean like, it's not bad as you say, but they sell them as a duo. 1/3 of the way through the second one I was like "NO THIS IS A MISTAKE."

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    1st Day Back At Work
    I set my alarm for 6PM instead of 6AM
    And I forgot my belt

2018 off to great start guys

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »
    what job markets are on fire right now

this is a serious question

and, more appropriately

which job markets are A. on fire, B. paying a decent wage with bennies and C. don't have an overabundance of overqualified applicants

spool often mentions how you can go become an undersea welder in the gulf of mexico as an example

or you know, a programmer.
    oil scientist seems to be working out.
    youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    I think kickstarter is a job right
    memester
    bitcoin miner

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Hey that's pretty insulting.

But yeah hey richest society in history and declining life expectancy totally normal not at all the Bad Timeline.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

how did it get deleted?

Also he lost his bitcoin private key

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    the 2001 recession was absolutely nothing like the most recent one unless you put all your money in pets.com

r05u17gztbrv.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

and, more appropriately

which job markets are A. on fire, B. paying a decent wage with bennies and C. don't have an overabundance of overqualified applicants

spool often mentions how you can go become an undersea welder in the gulf of mexico as an example

youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    memester
    bitcoin miner

kappa

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

and, more appropriately

youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    memester
    bitcoin miner

literally tens of people have succeeded at these things!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

how did it get deleted?

Also he lost his bitcoin private key

that was a great episode of big bang theory

@gooey

• Options

and, more appropriately

youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    memester
    bitcoin miner

I think the job title is Johnny Videogames

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think a life of crime can't be that bad, remuneratively speaking

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited January 2018

how did it get deleted?

401K lost all value the first time, 2nd time I converted it all to cash so that the family could survive an 18mo jobless stint.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Things could always be worse.

You could say Gangster's Paradise instead of Gangstas and lose 4000 bucks on Jeopardy.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    who posted the image of a guy blacking out "busted" on his harddrive and writing "bitcoin" on it instead before throwing it away

because I want to do that real bad right now

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

how did it get deleted?

401K lost all value the first time, 2nd time I converted it all to cash so that the family could survive an 18mo jobless stint.

We don't have to live in a world where someone has to do this.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Yeah that's what I had. I mean like, it's not bad as you say, but they sell them as a duo. 1/3 of the way through the second one I was like "NO THIS IS A MISTAKE."

Oh god. I've had the fully loaded one and managed to not finish it. Two in one sitting? God no.

• Options

how did it get deleted?

oooh dang, that second time is the worst possible luck

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

and, more appropriately

youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    memester
    bitcoin miner

we stopped having kids due to apathy and slackering, how many of these supposed "millennials" are there really?

Probably like 50 tops.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

That's not what I'm saying at all.

If you've been on the job market for ~10 years, experiencing the severest recession in a century for half of that is going to be a serious impediment when compared to previous generations at the same point in their life. You're likely to have less work experience, you're likely to have been unable to save towards buying a house, you might not have been able to move out of your parents' house, you'll be less likely to have been able to feel like you can afford starting a family - these are all real trends that are observable in the data, at least in the UK.

And taking a long term perspective doesn't help - not being able to start saving means you're going to be accumulating less interest, not starting a family means that you're risking health complications, not buying a house means you're being left behind as the property ladder gets higher and higher, etc., etc.

It's not like millennials are eating bottle caps in a scorched wasteland but they've had a very rough hand dealt to them, and their quality of life is going to suffer for it.

• Options

how did it get deleted?

oooh dang, that second time is the worst possible luck

it was the Great Recession... converting it all to cash before the market tanked actually saved us. Definitely the least bad outcome.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i need to figure out how to get a job as a professional troll and/or player hater

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    -

and, more appropriately

youtuber
    e-sports competitor
    memester
    bitcoin miner

we stopped having kids due to apathy and slackering, how many of these supposed "millennials" are there really?

Probably like 50 tops.

*whispers* there's like a million times more of them than there are genxers

• Options

That's not what I'm saying at all.

If you've been on the job market for ~10 years, experiencing the severest recession in a century for half of that is going to be a serious impediment when compared to previous generations at the same point in their life. You're likely to have less work experience, you're likely to have been unable to save towards buying a house, you might not have been able to move out of your parents' house, you'll be less likely to have been able to feel like you can afford starting a family - these are all real trends that are observable in the data, at least in the UK.

And taking a long term perspective doesn't help - not being able to start saving means you're going to be accumulating less interest, not starting a family means that you're risking health complications, not buying a house means you're being left behind as the property ladder gets higher and higher, etc., etc.

It's not like millennials are eating bottle caps in a scorched wasteland but they've had a very rough hand dealt to them, and their quality of life is going to suffer for it.

This I can agree with.

My own wages have a black hole from about 2007 - present - no real growth during that window, at all.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I was struck by Derrida's assertion in "Specters of Marx" that life is, in fact, arguably worse now than it has ever been:
    For it must be cried out, at a time when some have the audacity to neo-evangelise in the name of the ideal of a liberal democracy that has finally realised itself as the ideal of human history: never have violence, inequality, exclusion, famine, and thus economic oppression affected as many human beings in the history of the earth and of humanity. Instead of singing the advent of the ideal of liberal democracy and of the capitalist market in the euphoria of the end of history, instead of celebrating the ‘end of ideologies’ and the end of the great emancipatory discourses, let us never neglect this obvious macroscopic fact, made up of innumerable singular sites of suffering: no degree of progress allows one to ignore that never before, in absolute figures, have so many men, women and children been subjugated, starved or exterminated on the earth.

Because proportion doesn't matter, and is a deflection. The absolute number of people in abject suffering does. An interesting and unsettling take.

Also his specific "ten plagues":
    1.Employment has undergone a change of kind, e.g., underemployment, and requires ‘another concept’.
    2. Deportation of immigrants. Reinforcement of territories in a world of supposed freedom of movement. As in, Fortress Europe and in the number of new walls and barriers being erected around the world, in effect multiplying the "fallen" Berlin Wall manifold.
    3. Economic war. Both between countries and between international trade blocs: United States - Japan - Europe.
    4. Contradictions of the free market. The undecidable conflicts between protectionism and free trade. The unstoppable flow of illegal drugs, arms, etc..
    5. Foreign debt. In effect the basis for mass starvation and demoralisation for developing countries. Often the loans benefiting only a small elite, for luxury items, e.g., cars, air conditioning etc. but being paid back by poorer workers.
    6. The arms trade. The inability to control to any meaningful extent trade within the biggest ‘black market’
    7. Spread of nuclear weapons. The restriction of nuclear capacity can no longer be maintained by leading states since it is only knowledge and cannot be contained.
    8. Inter-ethnic wars. The phantom of mythic national identities fueling tension in semi-developed countries.
    9. Phantom-states within organised crime. In particular the non-democratic power gained by drug cartels.
    10. International law and its institutions. The hypocrisy of such statutes in the face of unilateral aggression on the part of the economically dominant states. International law is mainly exercised against the weaker nations.

• Options
    a
    P10 wrote: »
    i need to figure out how to get a job as a professional troll and/or player hater

hard to market ennui these days

This discussion has been closed.