As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Neuromancer has plenty of issues but, like, it was his first novel? Super impressive. I should actually read more of his stuff. IIRC he's an interesting dude based on interviews.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    brian did you get my tag about playing snipperclips with porp?

so much hilarity

so much screaming JUST HOLD STILL WHILE I FUCKING CUT YOU

great game A++

no i didn't get any tag did you spell my name wrong

i do that sometimes

spell my name wrong

hmm

I don't think I spelled it wrong

@element brian did that work?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Neuromancer started off really well before devolving into boring shit

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Snowcrash pulls off both an excellent cyberpunk novel and an excellent parody of one.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Neuromancer has plenty of issues but, like, it was his first novel? Super impressive. I should actually read more of his stuff. IIRC he's an interesting dude based on interviews.

It's one of the most impressive debut novels in all of SF.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

you shut your whore mouth

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i'm back from the library with some new t h i c c books in tow

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Ready Player One and The Dresden Files both share the problem that their authors are unwilling to admit that the character's flaws are actually flaws. which is terrible, but also means that if you just sorta ignore it or convince yourself that they did admit it you can enjoy the book.

Not everyone sees the same flaws as everyone else.

You would be hard pressed to try and convince me that Dead Beat was somehow secretly a horrible book.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    yes

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this day is taking forever

i have done so much work and it has only made time slower

who is in charge here

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Fifth Element, and I think I've said this before, is pretty much the first science fiction film after Blade Runner to radically change the aesthetics of visual SF worlds. It was bright, colourful, fun and the style was utterly unlike the dim, grimy, rainy worlds of most SF at that time.

People in that world weren't depressed, or angry, or railing against the unfeeling system. They were having instant roast chicken and listening to Ruby Rhod and having sex and having odd slapstick interludes with Lee Evans.

Yeah Fifth Element despite it being about the end of the world, is a very optimistic universe. Like Corbin Dallas is annoyed with his life style, but he's not like depressed or sad.

For me its the Panem capital but only showing the panem capital. Imagine the hunger games if only shown from the capital's point of view. It would still have the creepy AF kids killing each other but its all wrapped in fake glitter and wealth. That is the majority of the world you go through in 5th element. And it doesnt disqualify it because of it. IMHO.
    I mean it seams like it's just a more densly populated earth, but it doesn't seam to be a dread or panem. It's not really a topia in any regard.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Snowcrash pulls off both an excellent cyberpunk novel and an excellent parody of one.

I think that's why its the best. Real cyberpunk is often way to up it's own butt.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    yes

guess I fked up last time then. I was on mobile so v possible

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I'm still disappointed that I chose it for my book club to read last year and they universally hated it.

Fuck those guys, Gibson is excellent.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Every Gibson book is fun to read and delightfully well-written. He is so stylish...

I suspect you might prefer the 'future from the '00s ' series--Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History--to the 'future from the 80s' or 'future from the 90s' series (neuromancer, count zero, mona lisa overdrive; virtual light, idoru, all tomorrow's parties). The Peripheral is cool, too.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I thought Neuromancer was boring too, I got you Kobold

• Options

I read it shortly after reading Neuromancer for the first time, and I appreciated the amount of parody leveled at the genre

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Please select your pistol
    We shall fire on 10 paces.

• Options

Agreed, and I think it's partly because sci fi isn't exactly known for its lush, vivid prose (which is what really struck me in Neuromancer, and I did not expect it)

• Options

I mean, does it get more interesting in the final third? I dropped it in the middle because the part of the book that I really liked — that first chase sequence — ended super abruptly and nothing after that moment really caught my attention.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I also question whether the millennial "tone" is bright, poppy, and optimistic; I'd have been more likely to peg it as nihilistic absurdism

I think there's some strong dadaist undercurrents and similarities like the total rejection of the society we grew up in because we see it as silly and wrong and completely defeated by itself (throwing us knowingly into fucking endless and senseless war, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless Great Recession, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless assaults both micro- and macroscopic against the powerless, etc etc etc), and I think the core root of it (our response) is absurdism, how completely stupid the rules and baselines that older generations have constructed are

There are of course strains of optimism that can come out of such attempts at rebellion, the forging of new ideals and worldviews, but I think some of the brighter stuff can just be willful distraction

I prefer the utter surrealism and stupidity of the SNL Dear Sister skit and the modern internet at large

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Oh god

Buttstorm 2: Revenge of the Nando's

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I haven't actually read RPO or seen a Transformers movie all the way through except the cartoon one, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance, but I've read or seen excerpts, and I don't think either turns into a masterpiece outside of those excerpts, so I'm happy to say they're terrible anyway.

Well, you know as well as I do excerpts can be taken way out of context though. Books and movies turn as much on how the pieces are put together as the pieces themselves.

God could you imagine trying to explain how awesome Flash Gordon is if you just read a few lines of the script to them.

• Options

I mean, does it get more interesting in the final third? I dropped it in the middle because the part of the book that I really liked — that first chase sequence — ended super abruptly and nothing after that moment really caught my attention.

Yes. Vastly so imo

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    this day is taking forever

i have done so much work and it has only made time slower

who is in charge here

The two mice that scampered away in the kitchen

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god

Buttstorm 2: Revenge of the Nando's

Well we finally understand cheeky nandos

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I also question whether the millennial "tone" is bright, poppy, and optimistic; I'd have been more likely to peg it as nihilistic absurdism

I think there's some strong dadaist undercurrents and similarities like the total rejection of the society we grew up in because we see it as silly and wrong and completely defeated by itself (throwing us knowingly into fucking endless and senseless war, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless Great Recession, throwing us knowingly into the endless and senseless assaults both micro- and macroscopic against the powerless, etc etc etc), and I think the core root of it (our response) is absurdism, how completely stupid the rules and baselines that older generations have constructed are

There are of course strains of optimism that can come out of such attempts at rebellion, the forging of new ideals and worldviews, but I think some of the brighter stuff can just be willful distraction

I prefer the utter surrealism and stupidity of the SNL Dear Sister skit and the modern internet at large

Within any generation there's only a small percentage that actually tries to affect change anyway.

There aren't any rose colored glasses for millennials though. We know this world sucks. We know it's always sucked. Without being fixated on returning to a fantasy maybe we'll do better.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

The plot continues. The somewhat weak characterization and overuse of jargon continues. Still a decent book though.

• Options
    Weak characterization is definitely the primary critique I hear of Neuromancer, and it's totally valid

I think the plot is very good but it isn't communicated as effectively as if should be.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The ending of Neuromancer was beautiful and interesting to me even if it got a bit like Henry James in that I couldn't *precisely* follow the plot but just enjoyed the scenes

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hardest part about neuromancer was when they had those wonk accent parts it was super difficult to actually read.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    How good can a book really be though when it's only like 1 megabyte and a HD video is like 2 gigabytes

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Apparently the producers of Flash Gordon didn't know it was being made into a camp classic, and thought they were getting their own Star Wars.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    The ending of Neuromancer was beautiful and interesting to me even if it got a bit like Henry James in that I couldn't *precisely* follow the plot but just enjoyed the scenes

This is an apt comparison

• Options
    Holy shit Born to Die was 6 years ago. What the fuck mortality.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    Ready Player One and The Dresden Files both share the problem that their authors are unwilling to admit that the character's flaws are actually flaws. which is terrible, but also means that if you just sorta ignore it or convince yourself that they did admit it you can enjoy the book.

Not everyone sees the same flaws as everyone else.

You would be hard pressed to try and convince me that Dead Beat was somehow secretly a horrible book.

i don't mean flaws in the story, a bunch of them are pretty good. dead beat is an excellent romp. but Dresden has some shitty views about women and female characters can be really stereotypical. and Butcher is almost but not quite aware of it but that just makes it worse.

• Options
    Holy shit Born to Die was 6 years ago. What the fuck mortality.

Speaking of millennial nihilism.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    edit: deleted

A Kobold's Kobold on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    The characterization is much better in his later books, which is why I recommend them to people who maybe don't just want to inject a pure dose of cyberpunk stylishness. Milgrim is a shell of a person who slowly comes back to himself in a moving way. Cayce has a whole arc of personal growth--that I completely missed on first read--in which she deals with anxiety and processes 9/11. Hollis figures out her personal life. The characters in The Peripheral, whose names completely escape me, are also quite well fleshed-out individuals who you are happy to root for (well, the one in our world for sure. The guy is kind of terrible but also kind of charming in his own way).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    How about this for bad cyberpunk:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn:Cycle

This discussion has been closed.