Options

[Steven Universe] oops all gems

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    San Diego Comicon blew out a lot of the oomphf of the Lars of the Stars episode for me. Good episode, but it would have been spectacular had I not seen the Comicon clip.
    That jelly bird is the most adorable apex predator I've ever seen.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Jungle Moon episode
    Pink Diamond!

But!

Remember, Steven can view the dreams of others. Thinking about this, I do not think he is viewing Pink Diamond's dream either. I don't think he or Rose is/was Pink Diamond either.
    True, Rose looked like Pink, but there are plenty of different gems that we've seen that take on characteristics of their Primary Diamond. We see this in the Pearls, most distinctly, but others like Agate, and Lapis take one Blue's features. All of Pink's gems (the Amethysts, Jaspers, and Rose) have wild poofy hair like Pink's hair. Peridot has a tight hair style and a tad manic demeanor like Yellow's. Not everything is the same or cookie cutter looks, but you can definitely find a characteristic or two that puts them in with a Primary Gem more than another we've seen so far.

We got like 2minutes of a *dream* and 4seconds of an actual image of Pink, I'm grasping at straws here.

Maybe he's picking up something from Yellow? Or maybe its just a residual *something* from this Moon Base...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Space crimes are the best kind of crimes.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    New episode
    Jungle Planet
    Pink Diamond's gem is cut the same as Rose Quartz gem, but it's turned sideways so that it's viewed side on, instead of from the faceted face.

And uh...damn she looks a lot like Rose.
    I mean she's a pink giant lady but no their faces don't look a lot alike.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So either Standed is mysteriously not on there for me or the apps dumb playlist style is preventing me from getting it. Either was this suuuuuuuuucks

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Pink is an offcolor. She was supposed to be Red.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    New episode
    Jungle Planet
    Pink Diamond's gem is cut the same as Rose Quartz gem, but it's turned sideways so that it's viewed side on, instead of from the faceted face.

And uh...damn she looks a lot like Rose.
    I mean she's a pink giant lady but no their faces don't look a lot alike.

Jungle Moon
    Actually, their noses and lips are pretty close

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    And now we wait for a point in time when Cartoon Network decides they can air more episodes.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Just watched the two new episodes.

Spoiler town (with images)
    Yeah this looks a lot like Rose, guys

dyTgpKf.png
    eLyy6DG.png
    69Z7riV.png

The main difference is that they didn't draw her nose with the two parallel lines like they do Rose's, but I think if they did that it would be too obvious, which is why they didn't. There's also some physical changes Rose obviously made herself - longer hair, the peach skin, and having stars appear in her eyes when she's excited, instead of diamonds.

But I also don't think Rose is just a diamond pretending or something. I think she somehow learned how to transfer her consciousness into a Quartz, thus the actual shattering of Pink Diamond, that Rose was blamed for... the diamond had to be shattered in order to transfer her to a new gem? It also leaves the question of where the Rose Quartz she transferred into came from, because usually in this series that would involve replacing someone's consciousness which would still be just as wicked from a moral perspective as shattering a Diamond (though homeworld would care a lot less, one would think).

The reason I think a consciousness transfer had to have happened is 1) The gem shape looks different and 2) Peridot was able to recognize Steven as a quartz even without looking at his gem.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I don't think its
    Their the same person. I think maybe Rose was very close to Pink, like Rose, Pink, and Pearl were a trifecta of besties, and as Pink grew, her Pearl and her first gem she made, most likely Rose, grew with her, and apart from the other Diamonds who looked down on Pink. I think maybe Rose is a part of Pink Diamond, thats how she was made, and why Steven sees dreams like this, but I don't think they are the same.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think it would explain
    Why Rose (and therefore Steven) has such an incredibly broad range of powers, much moreso than the other gems. And why she can create life, including making plants into sentient warriors. Perhaps the life-giving ability is the reason Diamonds even have colonies, why kindergardens aren't filled with lifeless rocks but living, sentient gems.

It would also explain why Pearl has such a devastating attachment to Rose. Because all the Pearls seem designed to have such a powerful love and a unity of spirit with their diamonds.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    About the Jungle Planet episode...
    b7T2TNw.gif

• Options
    rose is not pink diamond or a part of pink diamond in any way but for the fact that pink's ghost still haunts her after she murdered her in cold blood

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    murdered or bubbled, transferred to white diamond's safekeep by her pearl which she sent to accompany her

I think tal's idea that pink was an off color is right, and she tried to offset this lack of power/stature (those seem to be connected in gem society) by creating the rose quartz caste, an entire division of highly capable leaders that could help her command

but this added autonamy threatens the highly demarcated hierarchy of gem kind, potentially calling into question the whole structure and system. What better way to dispose of this potential complication than engineer an assassination, blame it on the troublesome new gem prototype, and to make sure no one ever finds out the truth corrupt the whole planet when you're done?

only for reasons of Dramatic Irony I'm betting either Pearl or White Diamond couldn't go with actually shattering Pink in the end, and she's still alive somewhere in stasis

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    About the Jungle Planet episode...
    b7T2TNw.gif
    That Yoshi jump gets me every time.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I still say Pink Diamond is the singer of that song from the one Sadie episode.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Since
    Yellow took on several characteristics of Connie's mom in the dream, it's not unreasonable that Pink's appearance isn't accurate either and has been imbued with some of Rose's characteristics.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Since
    Yellow took on several characteristics of Connie's mom in the dream, it's not unreasonable that Pink's appearance isn't accurate either and has been imbued with some of Rose's characteristics.
    whatever Pinks deal Im pretty sure we can presume that was the “real” pink. The entire sequence is the dream slowly turning into a memory and its reasonable to assume the last moment was more or less accurate.

It also pointlessly undercuts what is clearly supposed to be our shocking first look at Pink Diamond.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    -Tal wrote: »
    rose is not pink diamond or a part of pink diamond in any way but for the fact that pink's ghost still haunts her after she murdered her in cold blood

Don't get me wrong,
    I still think Rose shattered someone in order to get her current Quartz look, I just think the one she shattered was not Pink Diamond.

Giving more thought to the episode, I think Nephrite is important, and Nephrite is potentially the one Rose shattered. She's upset that there's life on the planet she's been told to conquer, and is arguing with Yellow about it. I wonder if Pink somehow shared or swapped consciousness with Nephrite (which is a skill we know Steven has and has made use of, see his body swap with Lars), and got Nephrite killed, and that's her great regret, that started her on the road to rebellion.

Or another potential route here is that Pink took over Nephrite in order to "have her own army", fucked shit up royally (and got Nephrite shattered), but got away not really caring about the destruction she caused except as it embarrassed her, and that snafu is what pushed Yellow to get her her own colony. Maybe over time Pink regretted that destruction, but not at first, and the "shattering of Pink" (which was really the shattering of some Rose Quartz in Pink's body) was where the shit really hit the fan for Pink. Maybe it was even accidental. But the fact that Pink's retinue was there when Pink got shattered, yet did nothing to stop it suggests a diamond was involved, and right now Pink Diamond herself seems the most likely culpret. But only the gems in the room would believe that Rose Quartz was actually Pink... none of Pink's other gems would.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I really hope they don't do anything to undermine the idea of rose first degree assassinating pink diamond

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I like my theory
    It explains so much... like why Rose never really made clear to Pearl that she'd never be her lover. To Pink, a Pearl's utter devotion was a given. She clearly showered more affection on Pearl than Yellow seems to on her Pearl, but to Pink it was always going to be a queen-and-her-devoted-vassal relationship and nothing more. Until she met Greg,
    she maybe didn't even understand that kind of romantic love, and it's only because Greg demanded to be treated as an equal, something Pearl was unable to do.

The start of her mind changing had to be after she accidentally shattered her own gem with a quartz in the consciousness, and went out to earth as a lone quartz with only her pearl for a friend. Because she didn't know what life was like as anything other than a spoiled princess until that point. She came to understand the beauties of both earth and of other gems by experiencing them first hand.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think it would explain
    Why Rose (and therefore Steven) has such an incredibly broad range of powers, much moreso than the other gems. And why she can create life, including making plants into sentient warriors. Perhaps the life-giving ability is the reason Diamonds even have colonies, why kindergardens aren't filled with lifeless rocks but living, sentient gems.

It would also explain why Pearl has such a devastating attachment to Rose. Because all the Pearls seem designed to have such a powerful love and a unity of spirit with their diamonds.

Quartz isn’t the only one with a broader range of powers than her peers.
    Peridot has demonstrated powers unknown to her or other gems. Pearl too to a more limited degree. It seems clear to me that most gems are capable of quite a bit more than what they believe. They only seem to be limited by their oppressive society that discourages attempting anything outside of one’s role.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I think it would explain

Peridot has demonstrated powers unknown to her or other gems. Pearl too to a more limited degree. It seems clear to me that most gems are capable of quite a bit more than what they believe. They only seem to be limited by their oppressive society that discourages attempting anything outside of one’s role.

I mean,
    Peridot has show one supernatural skill only. Pearl knows how to call a weapon which indeed is unexpected for a Pearl to be able to do, but she can still only call things from her gem, not any other supernatural skill.

Steven can: 1) heal with spit 2) resurrect with tears 3) swap bodies 4) call a shield 5) create a shield bubble as seemingly large as he needs 6) create new life-forms out of plants 7)
    partially restore broken minds. 8) Share other people's dreams and/or memories.

The only other gem with seemingly multiple supernatural skills instead of just one skill is Garnet (future vision and her fightin' glove), and she's a fusion. Everyone else is limited to one supernatural skill only. Perhaps in time Peridot or Lapis will be able to call a weapon as well, giving them two skills... but two seems to be the limit on supernatural skills, with the sole exception of Rose.

I guess if you want to count bubbling things and teleporting them where they want, that's an additional second skill everyone has... but that still means that Steven has 9 to everyone else's 2.

• Options
    Hey pearl can do sand magic

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I think it would explain

I mean,
    Peridot has show one supernatural skill only. Pearl knows how to call a weapon which indeed is unexpected for a Pearl to be able to do, but she can still only call things from her gem, not any other supernatural skill.

Steven can: 1) heal with spit 2) resurrect with tears 3) swap bodies 4) call a shield 5) create a shield bubble as seemingly large as he needs 6) create new life-forms out of plants 7)

The only other gem with seemingly multiple supernatural skills instead of just one skill is Garnet (future vision and her fightin' glove), and she's a fusion. Everyone else is limited to one supernatural skill only. Perhaps in time Peridot or Lapis will be able to call a weapon as well, giving them two skills... but two seems to be the limit on supernatural skills, with the sole exception of Rose.

I guess if you want to count bubbling things and teleporting them where they want, that's an additional second skill everyone has... but that still means that Steven has 9 to everyone else's 2.
    Yeah, she’s more powerful and manifested more powers. That doesn’t mean secretly a diamond.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I think it would explain

I mean,

They all have quite a bit more ancillary powers than that. Garnet can create electricity, Pearl can shoot energy blasts from her spear and control sand, Amethyst can make purple fire (a power Jasper shares, so presumably most quartz soldiers can do that).

MegaMek on
  • Options
    I think it would explain

Am I forgetting something about Peridot? We arnt talking about her metal powers are we? Because Peridots absolutely have those powers. The more recent Peridots are just seriously weakened do to resource shortage.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    these are a lot of twists and turns but what is the thematic purpose of any of it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Also Im still stuanchly holding to my idea that the crystal gems invented weapon summoning.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Also Im still stuanchly holding to my idea that the crystal gems invented weapon summoning.

Nah, homeworld soldiers just use modern weapons instead. They don't need to summon personal weapons, so they never learn, just like Peri and her metal powers.

• Options
    Homeworld's not really into the idea of gems thinking creatively

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MegaMek wrote: »

Nah, homeworld soldiers just use modern weapons instead. They don't need to summon personal weapons, so they never learn, just like Peri and her metal powers.

Peri didnt “never need to learn”. She was born with considerably less resources than her gem requires and is much weaker than she should be.

Anyway thats all speculation and I think theyve suptly hint that at the very least summon weapons were invented/rediacovered during the war for earth since Jasper is the only noncrystal gem we have seen use one.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Peri didnt “never need to learn”. She was born with considerably less resources than her gem requires and is much weaker than she should be.

She certainly thinks so, but there's no telling really. Not like we've seen another Peridot.

In any case, the existence of material weapons being used in the gem war can be an indication that some gems can't summon personal weapons, but doesn't really explain why they can't. Everything we know of homeworld tells me that non-soldier homeworld gems simply aren't taught/allowed, not that they can't.

• Options
    I think it would explain

Am I forgetting something about Peridot? We arnt talking about her metal powers are we? Because Peridots absolutely have those powers. The more recent Peridots are just seriously weakened do to resource shortage.

I don’t recall it ever being said or shown that other peridots have that power. Did I miss something?

• Options

She certainly thinks so, but there's no telling really. Not like we've seen another Peridot.

In any case, the existence of material weapons being used in the gem war can be an indication that some gems can't summon personal weapons, but doesn't really explain why they can't. Everything we know of homeworld tells me that non-soldier homeworld gems simply aren't taught/allowed, not that they can't.

We have seen flashback to the gem war in which a fight takes place and niether side summons their weapon. Hell they dont use weapons at all. A gaggle of Rubys fist fight Rose and Pearl who sre using swords.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Look just accept in your heart... that people are gonna make dumb fan theories on the internet.

• Options
    You start telling gems they can make their own pocket dimension and summon things out of there who knows what they'll hide, better to just give them a good old fashioned sword

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Look just accept in your heart... that people are gonna make dumb fan theories on the internet.

None of the theories in this thread have been dumb.

I dont know what it is lately but this thread has gotten riddiculously hostile and making it an unplesant place to hang out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I think it would explain

I don’t recall it ever being said or shown that other peridots have that power. Did I miss something?

In the episode where her powers are introduced Peri inform Steven that she is a weak varient of Peridots that startes to be produced due to a resource shortage. She says that Peridots from before them had/have metal powers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

We have seen flashback to the gem war in which a fight takes place and niether side summons their weapon. Hell they dont use weapons at all. A gaggle of Rubys fist fight Rose and Pearl who sre using swords.

Our Ruby can summon a personal weapon, so the rest probably could as well.