As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    @Prospicience - I love that because it's a super great photo, but also a really cool piece of art.

Your real estate/architecture photography is fantastic, too, man.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    A few more random shots:

AhaMA0X.jpg
    I don't do a lot of concert photography (because I like actually enjoying concerts), but I usually try to snag at least one shot. I liked how this phone shot turned out, for some reason.

1Ced957.jpg
    Most of my street photography gets B&W'd because it usually captures the feeling I'm going for a bit better. This one had to stay in color, for obvious reasons.

WmfGm8S.jpg
    I liked how quiet and lonely this looked, even though it's in the middle of one of the largest, busiest parks in the world. \

7J4vk8a.jpg
    Long bridge is long.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Alright, going to start posting more... again. Had a bit of an internet hiatus for about a month, I've done a decent amount of photography however. Just haven't been sharing it much.

@muninn don't mind at all!
    @Chimera That kingston photo and the Emerald Lake photo are incredibly beautiful/vivid. High on the saturation but I think it really works in both cases.
    @minor incident Those NYC photos are incredible, really love the first and second ones especially - great framing.

Know it's a bit old hat but I've been having some fun with mirroring photos lately. I also picked up a Rolleiflex Automat MX 3.5 over the weekend. Going to try out my first roll of film today, so you all will probably be seeing a BUNCH of 120mm photos coming through here. Definitely going to be a learning process using a 65yr old camera...
    38525795296_2a177e2579_b.jpgHeartbeat of a City by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Thanks! I really like bright colors that pop and so I have a bad habit of making them oversaturated but I agree since it really brings the color of the lake out which is its most striking feature. Your shot of downtown Denver is great, if I could afford it I would love to move there!

Chimera on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    OK, switching topics slightly: what monitor do you edit photos on? Cyber Monday is tomorrow and I'm giving serious thought to snagging a Dell U2415 (1920x1200, 16:9 can suck it!). It's only a 6bit + FRC panel, so it doesn't hit 100% sRGB, even with calibration. But 99% sounds like a pretty reasonable upper limit for a super amateur photographer. I don't have a ton of disposable income to buy any new camera gear for a while, but I absolutely cannot continue trying to edit using my plasma TV. I've been lucky with it so far, but it's time to move up to something more reasonable.

Edit: no idea if I'll spot that one on sale anywhere, but it's only $229 at Micro Center. I'm not too far from the one in MA, so yay.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I too need a new monitor for photo editing
    Debating if I want a 24 or a 27 inch

My 12 year old dell needs an upgrade

poo
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Based on the research I've been doing, it sounds like basically the "only" option at 24" is the Dell U2415. The U2515H suffers from poor text size due to the 1440 resolution with smaller screen size. Everyone seems to agree that 27" is the sweet spot for 1440 res and higher.

If I had more money, I'd think about going for the BenQ SW2700PT. It does 99% of Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB. It's a 27" 1440 IPS monitor, so it sounds awesome. Of course, it also costs well more than double ($595 at B&H) what I could get the U2415 for ($230).

Fawst on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @Prospicience - I love that because it's a super great photo, but also a really cool piece of art.

Your real estate/architecture photography is fantastic, too, man.

Thanks @minor incident makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) Really love that concert shot by the way. Crowd shots are some of my favorite. In my opinion it gives more of the feel of actually being at the concert when you see a well done photo from the crowd. The long bridge shot is really great as well, although I do wish to see the whole thing!

@Chimera Right there with you, I've been REALLY lucky for the last few years in Denver. Have a hell of a landlord and my girlfriend and I basically pay nothing for rent (compared to the rest of the city). It does go to show that being a good tenant goes a long way (if you have a good landlord) as he could easily raise it $600 more than it's at and probably find new tenants rather quickly.

I used to be a monitor whore back in the CRT days, but since my main editing machine has been my dell XPS for the last 4 years I feel I'd be a horrible person to ask.

First roll developed from my rolleiflex mx. Just a few portraits from a thanksgiving party for now, really digging this camera though!

38711703471_ee9018f5b7_c.jpgTerarollie by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

38679698472_191c4e2008_c.jpgRollove by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    I love the look of medium format for portraits. Those are great, man!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Right there with ya on medium format portraits. Also, I'm horribly sorry for the dust. I had the developers scan the film as I wasn't sure I could do anything but 35mm at home. That's not happening again, who doesn't use compressed air or at least wipe the negatives off with some microfiber?!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Yeah, the crazy depth of field you get on those gives portraits such an airy ethereal feel. I'm a big fan of the look.

And yeah, I didn't notice earlier on my phone, but daaaamn, they didn't give any fucks about that dust, did they?

• Options
    Rawr_303Rawr_303 Registered User regular
    I'm new so sorry if this has been discussed before (I couldn't find anything when I looked). Has anyone used Affinity Photo as an alternative to Lightroom for editing RAW files? Any thoughts or feelings?

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    Also, I'm horribly sorry for the dust. I had the developers scan the film as I wasn't sure I could do anything but 35mm at home. !

I find medium format easier than 35mm as I dont get as much curl. Tripod, macro lens, negative holder and a light table/flash is all you need... and its usually much faster than a dedicated scanner.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Had seen someone post about this technique but hadn't tried it yet. Definitely going to give it a shot, thanks @muninn!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Hello photo crew. Just popping in to ask for an opinion.

I am looking to buy a new lens for my Canon 750D. Currently the longest I have is a 55-200 and I want something better for wildlife photography. I read a recommendation for the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD being a good option that is not as expensive as Canon lenses which are a bit much for my budget.

Just wanted to ask if people know about Tamron lenses and whether they are considered okay or something to avoid? As you can probably tell I am still a novice with cameras, I just enjoy taking photos of animals.

Edited to add a photo because this is a photo thread I guess.

f6v26vzsovsg.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    In fact actually I will throw a few more in here because I'd be interested in feedback.

These are a few of what I consider my best photos. Trouble is I mainly rely on luck. I take a LOT of pictures because I'm lucky to have a lot of opportunities, and maybe 0.01% of them turn out good. I get a lot of compliments from my friends and family but I think that's mostly down to the fact that it's easy to take impressive pictures when you're photographing lions and things, and it's not actually down to it being a technically good photo.

Anyone here do much wildlife photography? I would like to get better at it.

mqd7iivui6qg.jpg

rm143muocohm.jpg

m8r40yuj49ov.jpg

l9uvcvbavllo.jpg

bhzxcnndp1gr.jpg

(sorry if that's too much photo spam)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    God damn, dude. Do not sell yourself short. I'm such a novice, but to my (still learning) eye, those are fantastic. And you aren't relying on luck. That's what I used to think as well. Part of it is luck, but part of it is that you're capturing a moment. And you're doing a great job of it! Yes, the subject matter makes it "look easy," so to speak, but I'll bet that if you put a bunch of people in that same scenario, not all of them would nail the shots like you did. I don't have anything critical to say about those photos. They look great to me. Edit: also, I haven't heard anything negative about the Tamron lenses. The worst that could be said that I've seen is "they're not Canon." To be fair, I haven't looked at really long zoom reviews/comments.

I actually came to post about a totally different thing, which is that there is a MasterClass with Annie Leibovitz. $90 for a single class, but I feel like that would be worth it. (There's another about screenwriting with Aaron Sorkin that I really want to watch, but know this one exists puts that one on the back burner for now.)

Fawst on
  • Options
    Damn, all of those shots are great. A few of them are straight up NatGeo material. The first leopard, the elephant, and the zebras all show that you have a serious knack for nailing your timing and framing.

• Options
    hey!

question for ya'll - so, like, i'm using the different film simulation modes on my fuji, but when i import into lightroom... then they revert by default the adobe standard camera profile
    so i can change them manually to the different film simulation modes in lightroom... but is there a way to make it at least default to the profile I took the shot in?

poo
  • Options
    I went ahead and got that Tamron lens. My bank account hurts now, but I'm happy with it. Dang is it heavy though.

A few pics I have gotten with it so far

q8ld2mz4bnrb.jpg

vdalyc09nep0.jpg

vzen3w9krcyv.jpg

pospywr6r9v7.jpg

bk3vpt8zyw4e.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    smof these are good pictures

please to be taking more of pretty animals

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    the cheetah eating one is soooo cooolll

poo
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Dang @Brovid Hasselsmof coming in hot to the AC Photo thread. Love the wildlife photos, don't get as much of that here usually. Definitely agree with Fawst on not selling yourself short, you've got a great eye for composition and crops. Honestly, the only one you've posted that I don't find horribly interesting is the antelope with the flies all over it - and it's still technically a good photo. You already got the tamron - but I was going to sing their praises, my wide angle right now is their 15-30 2.8 and I love the lens. Sharpest wide angle I've used. I got the equivalent of your zoom lens but the version made by sigma (which all my photos below were taken with) and I really love the thing. Almost got the Tamron as well though - spec wise they're pretty similar. I'd heard some great things about the sigma AF - and slightly lower cost I think.
    Fawst wrote: »
    I actually came to post about a totally different thing, which is that there is a MasterClass with Annie Leibovitz. $90 for a single class, but I feel like that would be worth it. (There's another about screenwriting with Aaron Sorkin that I really want to watch, but know this one exists puts that one on the back burner for now.)
    @Fawst Don't know if you pulled the trigger on the Annie Leibovitz masterclass - there was (is?) a sale going on where you can get all Masterclasses for a year for like $100-120. I got a discount because I was previously a student (took the Werner Herzog director class - which I absolutely loved). Anyways, the Leibovitz class is really good - I'm about 6 lessons in right now. Definitely learning a lot from it as well as reinforcement that some of my photographic practices are also shared by Leibovitz.

25088971487_8a22c51bb5_b.jpgAcquired Flight by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

39928417202_7aa3a2e742_b.jpgStreamlined by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

39249937314_f44aa6a95c_b.jpgPower Up by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

39928415922_e6d28f9554_b.jpgWhite Eyed by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Damn good birbs, @Prospicience

• Options
    Got a couple of rolls of film developed that were sitting around for a while in my bag. These are mostly from summer/fall last year, and I believe they're all Portra 400.

BLdeh0T.jpg

zzPl2QF.jpg

Tf51DBN.jpg

wHv4rVt.jpg

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone! Looks like it's been quite a while since I've posted! Been doing more live music stuff since I last posted. It's a good excuse to get this home-body out of the house lol.

Here are a few of my favorites!

39904125192_51546ac5c9_k.jpgDSC_4176 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

38905318571_8f9a03018c_k.jpgDSC_3041 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

38592805472_7bb84d87cd_k.jpgDSC_2419 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

38592799412_fdbaa22976_k.jpgDSC_2376 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

26239589359_5ad001ca28_k.jpgDSC_0445 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

• Options
    Yay! Just came to post and it looks like it's hoppin' a bit in here.

@minor incident Always <3 some film. Park with city is a good clean photo. Really like the colors and DoF of the bubble photo though. Beautiful shot.

@Sublimus Don't know how I wasn't following you on flickr before now. Guess I haven't been active much online besides Insta though. Been taking a lot of great photos man, really dig the DJ'ing/show/concert photos. Capturing the mood beautifully. The dude dj'ing with the cig/joint is my favorite though, great composition.

Not sure why but I'm really having fun with these mirrored compositions. Might actually get some nice prints done of a few of them since the detail large is a lot of fun to look at.
    39635230764_86eb17e086_b.jpgChataquauqatahC by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

39635277084_f15e2d21b9_b.jpgDistant Power by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

And some concert photos also.
    39635276134_b81daa6994_b.jpgBAGP by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

39635275164_3d202abf17_b.jpgZavala Flame by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    @Prospicience Thanks!! I'm not used to getting much feedback on my work, so your complement was a great surprise! haha. I love that mirrored one of yours!

So I tried shooting a local hockey game the other day. That shit is hard. Trying to follow the play (keep both eyes open I hear is the trick), managing different zoom levels, and getting the exact right moment (I maxed out my buffer a few times) is a really big challenge!

Not to mention I had to be behind scuffed glass, which when out of focus will just wash out all your contrast, and make things blurry!

Also my zoom lens is hilariously terrible. I don't usually shoot stuff like this, but now I have an excuse to buy a nice 70-200??

These aren't even worth putting on flicker, but I'll share with ya'll here.

photo_001.jpg
    photo_002.jpg

• Options
    @Sublimus happy to comment man. Went to Cleon Petterson's art show here at the MCA in Denver, and while talking about the art with my friends I realized I don't do it enough anymore!

Sports is tough, let alone hockey. Would imagine the quick passes/plays make for some tough tracking of the players and puck. I've only really shot golf and skating. *Spoiler* - golf is easy. One eye open is a great way to do it though. I started keeping both eyes open when I was shooting events and concerts so I could time a shot based on when someone is about to walk by. Being that aware of your surroundings with both eyes open really helps in any situation where you're outside of a studio IMO. Zoom would definitely help with the hockey shots. You may have already done this but maybe try playing around with shutter speed and panning until you get a zoom, might help vary the types of shots until you can get up close to the players.

• Options
    @Prospicience Talking art is fun! I try to trick people into it as much as possible haha.

I have garbage zoom currently, that I got for like 100 bucks lol. Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6. I'll probably give it a few more goes at other events and see how it does. For whatever reason I'm determined to get some cool sports shots lol.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Does anyone here live in the PNW? Want go on a shoot somewhere??

[edit: I no type so good]

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Does anyone her alive in the PNW? Want go on a shoot somewhere??

I wish. You guys have some amazing scenery out there (see Benj Haisch's Instagram for evidence).

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    smof these are good pictures

please to be taking more of pretty animals

@Bowen yes sir

A few recent ones

m81xBM8.jpg

sokcqrU.jpg

FZyuHNg.jpg

9U8Z3tM.jpg

v6xAi66.jpg

• Options
    Question time!

What do y’all say when some knuckle head asks you “so, what kind of camera is that?”

I think I’m just going to start telling what lens I’m using and why? Seems more informative?

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Question time!

What do y’all say when some knuckle head asks you “so, what kind of camera is that?”

I think I’m just going to start telling what lens I’m using and why? Seems more informative?

Start rattling off model numbers and tech specs and wait for their eyes to glaze over :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Kashaar Yeah I usually go "Uhhhh... This is a Nikon D750" and they go ".....................cool!" Lol. means nothing to them.

Went to a workshop. Tried to shoot it like it was a job. My shitty zoom lens is super slow, so some shots are at 8k iso. (I never used to use my zoom lens, but I'm using it more and more, so I really want to replace it.)

25774547027_37fc11a978_c.jpgDSC_4672 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

26773791868_ccbd16c3f2_c.jpgDSC_4790 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

26773797308_18ca4a7baa_c.jpgDSC_4768 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

39749465275_43e347515a_c.jpgDSC_4942 by Whitney Misch, on Flickr

Sublimus on
  • Options
    @Kashaar Yeah I usually go "Uhhhh... This is a Nikon D750" and they go ".....................cool!" Lol. means nothing to them.

Went to a workshop. Tried to shoot it like it was a job. My shitty zoom lens is super slow, so some shots are at 8k iso

It's fun shooting Fuji, because I'll tell people it's a "Fuji X-T2" and then I get a 3 second blank stare and then usually "is that like a Canon?"

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @Brovid Hasselsmof Like the framing of the leopard best
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Question time!

Start rattling off model numbers and tech specs and wait for their eyes to glaze over :D[/quote]

Haha, usually what I do - especially as @minor incident said with fuji. Kinda silly when you have a manual lens adapter on it though, "Shooting the Fuji XE2 with a nikon f mount adapter and nikkor 55mm 1.2." I'm usually more than happy to talk gear, with any level of photographer unless I'm in the middle of working.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hey everyone I just recently picked up photography to help me understand light and composition better for my art

I am currently using an entry level D3400 with the default lens, think I will try to get used with the functions first before I buy any upgrades

nn3cqq.jpg
    2ldzrb.jpg
    2wdzlvs.jpg
    21kjb5x.jpg
    117bb14.jpg
    21d3bzb.jpg

Peas on
  • Options
    @Peas Woo! I've learned a lot from photo that I use in my drawing, so I hope you do too!

I'm no expert, so other people should chime in here, but when I look at some of these I'm thinking "why did he/she take this photo?"

I think it's important to ask yourself this question, and then do your best to sell what you think is interesting. Finding interesting ways to sell the idea is what will separate your photos from "snapshots".

For example, what is it that you found interesting about those two rocks in your first photo? What compelled you to take that photo? Is there a way to make it more clear what you thought was cool? A way to exaggerate it? Would different lighting help sell that idea? Different point of view? Depth of Field? Color/temperature contrast?

I think your last two photos are the best ones. I feel like I can see what you thought was worth capturing there, but I think you could sell it, or exaggerate it some more!

For me, I find photography is as much about curation as it is taking the photos. You have to be ruthless with the ones that are not working. (And by "working", I mean selling your idea.) If there was a cool thing, but the photo doesn't capture what you thought was cool, you have to cut it.

Hope that helps! Keep going, keep trying new stuff, and keep learning! I'm excited to see your journey! (And again, I know nothing, so take this with a grain of salt.)

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    And again, I know nothing, so take this with a grain of salt.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitneymisch/
    Oh my gaaawd

Peas on