Options

I'll just [chat] this if I have to

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    My mom: "This cold is kicking my ass, I've barely managed to get out of bed today."

Also my mom: "I think I'll paint my living room tomorrow."

Mom

Mom pls

Pls

I have parents always working on projects too. They cleaned out and restrung fences.

It is too cold now though.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    A friend of mine is in the hospital from an attempted suicide. The doctor says she will recover without any permanent damage, but she is going to be with a neck brace for over a month and observation for spinal stress for an undefined time.

A friend of hers who she usually hangs out with just left for a month for a work opportunity without much in the way of outside communication, and I suspect this is a result of not having somebody around like that to distract her from these thoughts. I want to fill in this role as distraction for the month. Gotta become a sort of living tumblr. Which I'm bad at and isn't a part of the internet I frequent. I have no idea what I'm doing here but it needs to be done.

If she is in the hospital it is likely professional systems of support will exist to help.

This is not a burden you need to feel like you have to shoulder alone. In fact, not healthy for either of you.

Be there as needed, be a friend, offer love... but these things are srs bsns; professionals are super useful and becoming a crutch is super bad.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just be yourself. Don't try to become something you aren't, and try to remember you're not responsible for their actions. Be their friend.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is in the hospital from an attempted suicide. The doctor says she will recover without any permanent damage, but she is going to be with a neck brace for over a month and observation for spinal stress for an undefined time.

A friend of hers who she usually hangs out with just left for a month for a work opportunity without much in the way of outside communication, and I suspect this is a result of not having somebody around like that to distract her from these thoughts. I want to fill in this role as distraction for the month. Gotta become a sort of living tumblr. Which I'm bad at and isn't a part of the internet I frequent. I have no idea what I'm doing here but it needs to be done.

:bro: I'm so sorry to hear about you friend, Duke. *hug*

There is a lot in this post to digest, but I am, for better or worse, a bit of a veteran in this regard, so I want to craft a meaningful response to this. Give me a few minutes to write something here? Don't go anywhere.

I'm glad your friend is alive and is okay and is expected to fully recover. Just ... give me a few minutes. :bro:

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Glad your friend is at least going to get a second chance.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ps the toasted sugar tastes...good

It's not a screaming "i am sweet" like regular white sugar, it's more complex and muted sweetness

I only toasted a bit for around 2 and a half hours but i think next time i'm going to dump a whole bag of sugar out and toast it for 3+ and see where it goes with the caramel flavors

Orphane on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    good friends don't necessarily allow themselves to be crutches

some people will be so sad that they will drag you down and drown you in their sorrow

tyrannus on
  • Options

Drop out of life with shitpost in hand
    Follow the OCs to the ship filled land

(Sorry to hear about the attempt, hoping your friend recovers)

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Kana or cred have you listened to Jam the couple of times i posted it

I don't think so; will listen if you repost.

credeiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoySmwO7QHg

Orphane O yeah I did watch that one when you posted it before, but didn't remember the title at all. I don't particularly like it--I don't like breathy female voices.

@credeiki if you want the opposite of breathy...

https://youtu.be/DjuSIU2quB0
    Choi Sam's voice is badass

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Kana wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    watching the globes... I want Ewan to make another obi wan film because the casting was fucking brilliant, just the direction and script was bad.

Ewan McGregor needs some special Oscar for "Best attempt to single-handedly redeem a terrible movie through sheer force of acting alone".

Portman is looking bored as usual. Christensen is trying his best to learn how one does this job. And McGregor is just all "I gotta run all these motherfuckers myself?"

Portman is a great actress in a project sold to her properly.

I put her wooden performance at Lucas' feet.

Oh she can act. She's just really bad for not being able to hide how bored she is with some roles.

Whereas Ewan is over there trying to turn shit into gold by charismaing at it hard enough.

On the other hand Ewan gets to be an action lead type of dude and there's a lot of room to be charming there

His lines may be a bit clunky, but you still get to swagger a little and have fun

Princess Amidala is like... She's the girlfriend. She dies of a broken heart offscreen. Where's the swagger to have fun with it that character? Where's the... anything?

Like if you switched their parts, so that Natalie Portman got to be the adventure star, I rather doubt Ewan McGregor is somehow saving his new part.

Except it ain't like we haven't seen her do it before. That was my point. This isn't an isolated incident. She looks bored as shit in the Thor movies too as another example.

Both times she's playing a shite character with bad writing and she just kinda gives up.

shryke on
  • Options
    Okay, so a couple of [chat]ters have already touched on an important point: It's so, so kind of you to want to be there for her, and you know your friend better than we do, but the best you can do right now is just keep being you. Let her know you're thinking of her, let her know you're available, let her know that she can talk to you about anything and everything. But you can't be a life preserver. Like Synd said, that's what the pros are there for: they know how to help and what to do to help that will a) be most effective for your friend while b) preserving their own sanity.

Because it can be so dangerous trying to be something you're not for someone who just survived a traumatic event. When you take on a role, people eventually develop expectations, such that you'll eventually become "locked in" to that role, and that's something you have to consider. You have to look out for you first, and it's so big-hearted of you to want to do more, but the best thing to do is just be yourself. If she's in a situation where they allow visitors and you think she'd be the type of person who would want visitors, well a) call ahead and confirm that last bit, and b) go visit. Just sit, and listen. And talk. Tell her about the most unimportant crap. It ain't gotta be heavy, it ain't gotta be anything. But don't put yourself in a situation where you become a "caregiver", because you're not one.

But do reach out to her, that would be incredibly kind. Her life is gonna go through a lot of upheaval, obviously, and she's going to have stressors placed on her, very gently at first, but they're necessary stressors to help the healing process. She'll be monitored closely, of course, so remember, that part's not your job - none of this is your job, which is why you're not getting paid.

Be kind, be you, but don't over-extend yourself. And never for a moment take on any of the responsibility for her decisions and actions, regardless of what you decide to do. Because I'm not going to lie to you - I read between the pretty obvious lines there, and making the decision to go out that way takes a pretty determined effort. What I'm saying is ... she's not out of the woods, yet. It's a very vulnerable time for her, and you'll be opening yourself up to those same vulnerabilities at roughly an inverse square function of how involved you get. So be careful, know yourself, know your friend, talk to the professionals caring for her (with her permission, ideally), but mostly just keep being you, let her know you're there for her, and be kind. <3

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, Civ 6 is in the next Humble Monthly

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I need some kind of good, immersive game (any genre) that I can play for hours and not think about anything else. No PS4 or Switch games.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    i'm gonna make a friendly sea creature written self help book. it'll contain:

narwhal's advice

shark's sex advice

and me just saying that you're super great every page

best book ever

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I need some kind of good, immersive game (any genre) that I can play for hours and not think about anything else. No PS4 or Switch games.

Tetris

• Options

How... immersive

*Idly ponders his shelf of VR sex games*

• Options

How... immersive

*Idly ponders his shelf of VR sex games*

wait which

i have VR

tell me these

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

Soggy Biscuit

• Options

Things I am currently playing, all on PC, that might fit that bill for you:

Skyrim
    Kerbal Space Program
    Subnautica a little bit 'cause watching VH was hilarious
    They are Billions
    Mount and Blade Warbands

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    watching the globes... I want Ewan to make another obi wan film because the casting was fucking brilliant, just the direction and script was bad.

Ewan McGregor needs some special Oscar for "Best attempt to single-handedly redeem a terrible movie through sheer force of acting alone".

Portman is looking bored as usual. Christensen is trying his best to learn how one does this job. And McGregor is just all "I gotta run all these motherfuckers myself?"

Portman is a great actress in a project sold to her properly.

I put her wooden performance at Lucas' feet.

Oh she can act. She's just really bad for not being able to hide how bored she is with some roles.

Whereas Ewan is over there trying to turn shit into gold by charismaing at it hard enough.

On the other hand Ewan gets to be an action lead type of dude and there's a lot of room to be charming there

His lines may be a bit clunky, but you still get to swagger a little and have fun

Princess Amidala is like... She's the girlfriend. She dies of a broken heart offscreen. Where's the swagger to have fun with it that character? Where's the... anything?

Like if you switched their parts, so that Natalie Portman got to be the adventure star, I rather doubt Ewan McGregor is somehow saving his new part.

Except it ain't like we haven't seen her do it before. That was my point. This isn't an isolated incident. She looks bored as shit in the Thor movies too as another example.

Both times she's playing a shite character with bad writing and she just kinda gives up.

And my point is that if you're a dude getting a bad part you can just act generically charming and be an adventure hero

Whereas badly written female parts are like the ultra-passive girlfriend who in no way ever resemble a human being, and their passivity doesn't let them take on the fun generic swagger of the male roles.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Thread is going to a dark place.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Thread has a season ticket to the dark place.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    here's some good news for the thread:

I went on a date yesterday.

We made out on the end of a dock like some dang teenagers.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    disclaimer i don't have a VR sex game library because i don't have VR

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomikid saw a Vive in Best Buy yesterday and said, “Mama, we should get those. They’re . . . beautiful.”

*sniff*
    *happy tear*

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2018
    Aioua wrote: »
    here's some good news for the thread:

I went on a date yesterday.

We made out on the end of a dock like some dang teenagers.

Making out on a dock has universal appeal. Teenagers cannot @bogart all of the fun makeout spots!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    fun fact i was originally going to make a mormon soaking joke but i didn't know if anyone still remembered what the hell that was

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Atomikid saw a Vive in Best Buy yesterday and said, “Mama, we should get those. They’re . . . beautiful.”

*sniff*
    *happy tear*

this could go either way,

way into vidja
    or way into cyberpunk fashion

either way A+ good kid

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Only briefly! Sorry, I had an effortpost building up in me. It was just a small one this time, though.

I'm actually in a pretty good mood, myself! My sports team lost at their chosen sport, but otherwise the past little while has been pretty aces.

I have to go back to a regular human schedule tomorrow, however, which is less exciting :P

• Options
    I am stealing snugs from SpoolPup2

• Options

How have we not had steaks in NYC yet?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Good, immersive games

Ok I have tons of suggest...
    Not on PS4 or Switch

waltersobcheckgoddammit.gif

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Elki your new sig is fire

• Options

Are you rifling through all the 32s' drawers also

• Options

I haven’t been up there lately! I need to. I miss it so bad. :sad:

• Options
    it is difficult to make out when it's 2 degrees outside

possible tho

but when she got into her uber I dropped my scarf and I was like "FUCK THAT IM NOT GOING BACK"

• Options

I’ve been here recently. No point it doing it so soon again

• Options

but like, seriously. Standing offer for years now. I will take you to ridiculously good steaks if you come here

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

I’ve been here recently. No point it doing it so soon again

One assumes they can only have so much room in their monthly budget for new sex toys, true

• Options

but like, seriously. Standing offer for years now. I will take you to ridiculously good steaks if you come here

I might come up just for the steaks :mrgreen:

This discussion has been closed.