As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, Longwood is actually the basis of our new medical city at Lake Nona (on the other side of Orlando from the one I showed earlier), but we have the advantage of building from scratch:

lake-nona-med-city-aerial.png

According to the plan, all of that fallow field will be built up by 2027. This picture is several year old, about a third of it has broken ground so far. For scale, this is that building in the front:

lake-nona-va-medical-center.png

Enc on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I can find a picture of the hospital I walked into in Beijing

That was something

• Options
    A few miles away we have Celebration Hospital, which was built originally as a massive resort hotel for Disney and converted into an award winning hospital:

celebration-location-1180x480.jpg

Why yes, it does have an indoor promenade with shops and restaurants.

fc-entrance7358.jpg
    celebration%20fitness_9101-4x6.jpg

In a lot of ways, Orlando is bizzare.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ha, my buddy lives in Lake Nona (got tired of the cold up here). Really likes it.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Yeah, Longwood is actually the basis of our new medical city at Lake Nona (on the other side of Orlando from the one I showed earlier), but we have the advantage of building from scratch:

lake-nona-med-city-aerial.png

According to the plan, all of that fallow field will be built up by 2027. This picture is several year old, about a third of it has broken ground so far. For scale, this is that building in the front:

lake-nona-va-medical-center.png

I really hope they've built some floodplain protection into that complex.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    That's what those lakes are. You can see the undeveloped pine stands there? That's hammock land, which is uaually several feet higher than the wetlands regions. This is usually where we start building, and expand the foundations between them to create lower area swale channels between rivers. Usually that's where some (but not all) access roads go (like the one right above the legend on the top picture).

The lakes appear natural/ aesthetic, but serve as a river-flow systems during high water marks to direct water flow to the closest rivulet to the St. Johns. In this system, I'd assume that bottom left lake drains into the lake that the VA hospital fronts, which likely drains over to the right towards Lake Tahopekaliga and then on into Econolocohatchee river basin.

All of these systems vary by less than 20 feet from start to finish, usually. But when everything is about even on the centeral plateau of the state those minor changes can funnel a lot of water safely towards the St. Johns (which is about 50ft lower than most of central florida. It's how we stay nice and dry here in Central Florida.

We're actually pretty smart about where we build here. It's not like over on the coast where people put streets storm surge areas. Orlando is one massive water management system and, generally speaking, it works really well.

Enc on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This really does feel like a bureaucrat's dream office:
    1d2lybjpss5b.png

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Huh, weird coincidence that I'm writing about when I was in Hebei for my grad school application

They took those pictures on a very nice spring day

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Holy shit! Nice.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Oh shit I was going to point out that that looked like purple loosestrife, which is invasive and destructive in North America...but native to Asia ;) whew!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wee ow

26067762_529385137460443_660107740063989760_n.jpg
    Years ago, the modular Tetra Shed took the design world by storm with its beautiful angular design. Today, the award-winning concept has been reborn as a full-scale hotel.

• Options
    I wonder how much it costs to spend a night in an alien invasion.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Spend a night in a theoretical cap design for a nuclear dump site

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    wee ow

26067762_529385137460443_660107740063989760_n.jpg
    Years ago, the modular Tetra Shed took the design world by storm with its beautiful angular design. Today, the award-winning concept has been reborn as a full-scale hotel.

Jesus fuck, that's a horrifying visual. Despite the pretty blue sky and the lush green grass!

• Options
    Is there a shortage of gimmicky hotels that every modular design dwelling also has a hotel configuration?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tumblr_osxjuwUH6w1rykiyto1_1280.jpg
    s78wfbucr12y.jpg

• Options
    I love that Liiya

But can you walk on the grass?

• Options
    I don't think so

It's just a massive trip hazard haha

• Options
    See I'm thinking it'd be really nice to use as a kind of miniature plaza/park where people can sit and talk to one another.

• Options
    I think that sort of is the idea, steps make good informal seating! At least I assume so, I've no idea of the source sadly!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    tumblr_inline_o1qm9j1Gxz1t5e46p_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o1qmbvjOPg1t5e46p_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o1qmcuKUIO1t5e46p_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o1qm8w6qWX1t5e46p_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_o1qm77JYN11t5e46p_540.jpg
    wee norwegian houses.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    HOBBITSES

• Options
    To6wfNxl.jpg
    dmeJ2qZl.jpg
    41KtNjUl.jpg
    8Dnz8W1l.jpg
    wEWUVI0l.jpg
    QoYP8Uol.jpg
    kO4K4Bul.jpg
    7UkxWFml.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvePe_Krd8

ZORBAS MEMORIES
    $685,358 AMERICAN DOLLAR

2 BEDS
    1 FULL BATHS
    2,690 SQ FT.
    .049 ACRES

Once the premises of Nikos Kazantzakis and George Zorbas lignite firm, this true historical property is now a charming, retreat in a small valley near the village Stoupa among wild nature, mediterranean cypress trees and a captivating view towards the sea. The house is located in a singular position without any houses in direct view, providing total privacy and the village of Stoupa is close and easy to reach within walking distance.

This home has placed its mark in history imposing on a big stone rock, giving the impression of a tower as many houses in Mani. Mani was known for its pirates and therefore the house has a small balcony at the front enabling to have breathtaking sea views.

As you walk through the home you can immediately notice that all the original features have been preserved and you may obtain a wealth of information about these two great men - Nikos Kazantzakis and George Zorbas - who came to Stoupa from Crete in 1917 to set up their small lignite mining business in the local cliffs. Zorbas, on whom Nikos Kazantzakis based his famous book “Zorba the Greek” , was a loveable, cunning and hard working engineer who designed and made the cable railway that took the lignite down the cliffs to be transported by boat to Kalamata, the nearest town of any importance.

Remaining sympathetic to the natural environment, this property is imbued with a cozy and traditional ambience. The property has been furnished with inviting sofas and armchairs, antiques and artifacts. The sitting room is smart and spacious, and the study with an open fireplace is intimate and tranquil.

Two inspiring bedrooms accommodate up to five guests and the bathrooms are characterized by the minimalism of the Greek Tradition. LIVE HISTORIC in Zorbas Memories!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2018
    It's beautiful. Also in some parts of greece I could buy a whole island for that amount.

edit: or a small, poorly renovated condo in Boston, so I mean, it still seems like a steal.

tynic on
  • Options
    ooh give me a holiday to that place please!

• Options
    yeah when I compare that to what I could get here:

685358 US Dollar equals
    851317.44 Canadian Dollar
    699hGTE.jpg

and the fact that I'm already working remotely
    man why am I staying in this cold-ass expensive city

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    hahahaha

holy shit

• Options
    Bloody hell.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Living the dream

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    how'd they fit 3 beds and 2 baths in that
    is it extremely long and thin or something and we just can't see it from this angle?

or is it like "the kitchen also has a bed in it, and the basement has a bed in it, and we stuck a cot up in the attic space, and there's an outhouse in the back"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    how'd they fit 3 beds and 2 baths in that
    is it extremely long and thin or something and we just can't see it from this angle?

Living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom upstairs.
    2 bedrooms and bath downstairs.

I hear micro-living is in this year