As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just realized that my PSN subscription ends in "Fall 2018" as well, so I will most probably just spend those $60 on the PC version of this and forget about paid online service.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be new to the MH franchise and have been doing some reading up on the game to get better acquainted with how it plays. Found a program called Adopt-a-Hunter where new players get paired with veteran hunters to get shown the ropes. Is the game's learning curve really that steep? I've seen some compare it to Dark Souls. How realistic is that comparison?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    If anyone needs me to boomerang the fuck out of something, I'm always available until the 26th.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I'll be new to the MH franchise and have been doing some reading up on the game to get better acquainted with how it plays. Found a program called Adopt-a-Hunter where new players get paired with veteran hunters to get shown the ropes. Is the game's learning curve really that steep? I've seen some compare it to Dark Souls. How realistic is that comparison?

I think the reason most people tend to compare Monster Hunter to Dark Souls is the fact that boss encounters are somewhat similar. Monster Hunter requires you to track and learn the behavior so it's really an emphasis on the hunting aspect. For the fights themselves, you have to observe the monsters and fight them accordingly using your weapon of choice. The combat is a bit slower so it's more important to spend time learning each weapon's nuances in MH. They all play pretty differently. You've probably seen some other folks in thread linking to Gaijin Hunter or Arekkz' Youtube videos. They're a great resource for learning about the game basics and some more in-depth coverage of what to expect in Monster Hunter World. The seasoned vets here on this forum are also a great resource! I learned to hunt with a lot of the dudes from PA!

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't think MH is super hard to start out really, like the difficulty curve never felt unfair to me. It always felt like they ramp you up properly, if anything a little slowly.

Though that's assuming you are doing the single player before jumping right into multi hunts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

I think the reason most people tend to compare Monster Hunter to Dark Souls is the fact that boss encounters are somewhat similar. Monster Hunter requires you to track and learn the behavior so it's really an emphasis on the hunting aspect. For the fights themselves, you have to observe the monsters and fight them accordingly using your weapon of choice. The combat is a bit slower so it's more important to spend time learning each weapon's nuances in MH. They all play pretty differently. You've probably seen some other folks in thread linking to Gaijin Hunter or Arekkz' Youtube videos. They're a great resource for learning about the game basics and some more in-depth coverage of what to expect in Monster Hunter World. The seasoned vets here on this forum are also a great resource! I learned to hunt with a lot of the dudes from PA!

fun fact

@Zanshinretsu and @flammiebc and i first met playing mhp3rd on psp using ps3 ad hoc party

in about 2010?

then we met up at pax and do so much mon hun

8 years later and now were gearing up for world

mon hun bros fo lyfe

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I carried a friend who never played before through all 3 missions. It's really not that hard until the highest ranks or fights where you're using environmental weapons and it's someone who's never done it before and doesn't know what to do and wastes the dragonator or something. The hardest difficulty was usually doing G-rank hub quests solo in the previous games which is no longer a thing in MHW.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So I know this is a little late to the game, but what are the chances people with still be playing Generations after World comes out? I played a decent amount of 4, and I really like the game, even though I'm kind of bad at it, and I kind of want to see all the cool new stuff, but I'm not sure if it'll end up being a mostly solo experience, and how much I'll be missing out on if it is a mostly solo experience. Also, is it enough of a different game from 4u to make it worth it?

Just realized nobody answered the rest of @Brody's questions here.

Mechanically, Gen is very different from 4U due to the styles/arts system that was added. Every weapon has four different ways of using it (standard, aerial, striker, and adept) that will affect how they function. I'm not sure I can go back to non-Aerial duals now. They also tweaked the weapon/armor upgrade system that is more incremental. Oh and now you can play as your cat if you want to. They're good.

Outside of combat, the narrative is nowhere near as cohesive as 4U's was. Gen is more of a "MH's greatest hits" edition and you will end up doing the same things multiple times thanks to the "four villages" narrative and tbh it's kind of a mess.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that if you went deep into 4U there is no g-rank in Generations. MHXX was not localized (presumably as "Generations Ultimate") for whatever reason (*cough*World*cough*) so the fun stops at high rank for now. That only affects a few things (there are certain armor skills that only appear in GR, like awaken) and other than the lack of top-end difficulty you probably won't even notice.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So I know this is a little late to the game, but what are the chances people with still be playing Generations after World comes out? I played a decent amount of 4, and I really like the game, even though I'm kind of bad at it, and I kind of want to see all the cool new stuff, but I'm not sure if it'll end up being a mostly solo experience, and how much I'll be missing out on if it is a mostly solo experience. Also, is it enough of a different game from 4u to make it worth it?

Just realized nobody answered the rest of @Brody's questions here.

Mechanically, Gen is very different from 4U due to the styles/arts system that was added. Every weapon has four different ways of using it (standard, aerial, striker, and adept) that will affect how they function. I'm not sure I can go back to non-Aerial duals now. They also tweaked the weapon/armor upgrade system that is more incremental. Oh and now you can play as your cat if you want to. They're good.

Outside of combat, the narrative is nowhere near as cohesive as 4U's was. Gen is more of a "MH's greatest hits" edition and you will end up doing the same things multiple times thanks to the "four villages" narrative and tbh it's kind of a mess.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that if you went deep into 4U there is no g-rank in Generations. MHXX was not localized (presumably as "Generations Ultimate") for whatever reason (*cough*World*cough*) so the fun stops at high rank for now. That only affects a few things (there are certain armor skills that only appear in GR, like awaken) and other than the lack of top-end difficulty you probably won't even notice.

I'll have to see if I can budget it in between diapers and formula, but in the meantime I started a new character to on 4U to get back into the game, and man I've missed it. The Charge Blade is so much fun.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

fun fact

@Zanshinretsu and @flammiebc and i first met playing mhp3rd on psp using ps3 ad hoc party

in about 2010?

then we met up at pax and do so much mon hun

8 years later and now were gearing up for world

mon hun bros fo lyfe

We might have started at the tail end of MHFU playing on ad hoc. Then it was P3rd, Tri, 3U, 4U, and most recently Gen. Hard to believe it's been that long!

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2018
    I was bored and decided to download the Generations demo on 3DS to play around. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna really get into World.

Sword & shield was okay, but not exciting. Not really feeling the switch axe. The hammer was a blast and really easy to pick up, I really liked its charge attacks. Dual blades were as mobile as I wanted, but it took me a while to bring down something with it. Great sword was kind of a mixed bag.

Didn’t really understand the arts. Couldn’t figure how you get them off without being interrupted.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I've mained hammer across every MonHun I've played despite catching shit about it being a "brain dead " weapon. I pity the individual that can't understand, nor appreciate the intricacies of bashing a dinosaur in the skull until it is fucking dead so "UNGA BUNGA, GIVE ME THE HEAD." I say.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

The learning curve is certainly a bit steeper than your average game, but manageable if you play action games in general. But mostly veteran hunters "adopt" newbies because while you can definitely just play and have fun (is what I did, back in the PSP days when Monhun still didn't believe in such things as "tutorials"), there's so many little bits of depth and quality of life that you can completely miss if nobody points them out to you.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Elki wrote: »
    I was bored and decided to download the Generations demo on 3DS to play around. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna really get into World.

Sword & shield was okay, but not exciting. Not really feeling the switch axe. The hammer was a blast and really easy to pick up, I really liked its charge attacks. Dual blades were as mobile as I wanted, but it took me a while to bring down something with it. Great sword was kind of a mixed bag.

Didn’t really understand the arts. Couldn’t figure how you get them off without being interrupted.

The arts were something weird that only existed in Generations. They aren't in World. Instead, anything arts did that they wanted to keep they just made part of the normal weapon abilities.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dual blades were as mobile as I wanted, but it took me a while to bring down something with it.

I forget what they give you in the demo but Duals and SnS tend to lean on their elemental/status effects more than most melee weapons. Definitely quantity over quality.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Dual blades were as mobile as I wanted, but it took me a while to bring down something with it.

I forget what they give you in the demo but Duals and SnS tend to lean on their elemental/status effects more than most melee weapons. Definitely quantity over quality.

The dual blades are water in the beta, SnS was poison.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The thing with dual blades is you can get lots of hits in an be mobile, so they're less punishing, but all your damage is going to come from doing demon mode correctly.

• Options
    edited January 2018

I don't know what they gave me but there were items in the box and I didn't use them. Are those elementals a temporary buff, or something you craft a weapon to have?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Weapons can just have an elemental damage type, which affects their normal damage.

• Options
    Yeah there will be a number for your raw damage, then a second number and a symbol for elemental/status.

• Options
    This is obviously all surface level.

I played with the bow a little bit, and it wasn’t too bad considering I had one thumbstick to work with. The lance probably would've benefited more from being played more on a controller, I missed too many attacks. I love the reach of the great sword, but not much else about it. The bowgun controls are not great on handhelds so I want to try it again later on Xbox.

Hunting horn was a big fun surprise. Although part of the enjoyment might be that I finally figured out how to mount monsters while playing with it. It’s like a big musical hammer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I have a group of 3 noobs (including myself) waiting to hunt on the xBone. I'm leaning towards dual swords, since that was the only weapon I could take the third beta monster down with. However, I'm usually the tank of the group, so sword/shield, hammer, and gunlance/shield look interesting. Noob#2 will pick some giant f-off weapon like greatsword, but Noob#3 is going to look to me for weapon advice. So I'm going to preemptively pass that question on to you - what's the best weapon for someone that wants to tag along and be useful, but is a much more casual gamer than the rest of the group? They usually take bows when available, but if something with a shield is more survivable they might be better off with that.
    A bow is actually a nice noob-friendly weapon. No ammo concerns (there are coatings, but these are value adds rather than ammunition), a simple charge-up mechanic, and it's point and shoot with few/no combo considerations. There are some special shot types (like the arc shots), but a bow user can contribute to any hunt.

DID SOMEONE SAY, "HEY ARCH, POST YOUR OVERLY LONG BOW GUIDE AGAIN???"
    So, let's cover the basics. The bow might be the easiest weapon to master this time around, or maybe all of the buffs it has received, coupled with the challenge of playing as a bow hunter on the 3DS with no pad have paid off.

First I'm going to talk about how the bow works, how much damage the basic attacks and combo do, and about critical distance. Then I'm going to talk coatings.

So first things first, draw your bow.

You can quick draw with Triangle, or draw and shoot with R2, firing a single arrow that does 6 damage if you are in critical distance (more on that later). If you draw with R2 and hold the button down, you will draw your bow into a charge, pulling the string back, draining stamina, and making your bow light up. This is the most important skill to learn with the bow- how charges work.

With your bow drawn, you can aim it like the slinger with L2. Do note, though, that if you have your bow sheathed and aim with L2, R2 won't draw the bow, and will fire your slinger. I'm still getting tripped up by this, so don't be like me.

Charging your bow is pretty straightforward- if you hold the button down for about a second (and your hunter flashes once), you can release R2 and you will shoot two arrows instead of one, with each arrow doing 8 damage instead of 6 if you're in critical distance (for a total of 16!). Charging for approximately two and a half seconds (or two flashes on your hunter) and releasing R2 will instead fire three arrows, each hitting for 9 damage within critical distance (for a whopping 27 damage, four and half times more than an uncharged shot). As you can clearly see, A.B.C.- Always Be Charging.

Of course, charging drains stamina and holding down L2 to aim your shots makes you walk slowly making you a huge target....but there are two ways around this! You can just quickly press R2 three times in rapid succession to fire a basic shot, a level one shot, and then a level three shot. This is pretty good, and pretty quick, but you end up wasting arrows, which wastes coatings, which we will talk about in a bit.

Instead, the better thing to do is dodge! If you aim with L2 and press X, you will dodge in the direction you input on the right thumbstick...and automatically charge to level 1 firing two arrows, for 16 damage, if you press R2. If you dodge twice, you go into a level 2 charge firing three arrows when you press R2. You can even dodge and hold down R2 to aim, or charge from level 1 to level 2! You can even dodge once, fire a level 1 shot, and then press R2 again to fire a level 2 shot!

Even better, though, is if you dodge twice, it will immediately bring you to level 2!

So, actually, the rule is A.B.D.C- Always Be Dodge Charging.

When I hunt I typically will dodge backwards or even towards the monster, fire a level one shot and combo it with a rapid level two before dodging away again (and firing a level 1 into a level 2 shot, and then dodging and...).

At this point though, if we are talking about dodging towards, away from, or to the side of a monster you need to start making sure you're in what is known as "critical distance". Bows have a limited range for the damage numbers I've listed above, and being outside of that range is absolutely punishing. If you're too far away, your arrows will do only 1 damage per arrow for a basic shot, or two damage per arrow for both charged shots. That's awful! On the other hand, get too close and you lose damage as well (although not nearly as severely- your basic shot does 4 damage instead of 6, your level 1 shots do 6 per arrow, and level 2 does 7). It's better to be close, but you ideally want to be within two "hops" of a monster. (A hop is a backward dodge with the bow drawn, and you should practice this). Fortunately, MHW has added the biggest quality of life indicator to the bow in maybe ever. If you aim with L2 you get a targeting reticle....and the appearance of the reticle tells you if you're in critical distance or not! If there are two orange rings, congrats! You're in critical distance. If there's only a single yellow ring, you are either too close or too far. (Also if your reticle says "out of range", uh, you're out of range.) If you fire an arrow in critical distance and it connects, the screen shakes a bit also.

So that's the basics- always try and fire at least a level 1 into level 2 shot, making use of dodge charging and keeping within critical distance.

Now, for the real fun stuff....the best thing to happen to bows in...ever. the Dragonpiercer shot! This is that bas-ass explosive shot that takes forever to fire, and honestly you want to use it as often as possible. Since it takes forever to launch, you need to either be far enough away that it will launch before the monster gets to you, or shoot it at an incapacitated monster.

Firing it is easy, just press Triangle and Circle and wait approximately five seconds, and you'll fire a bunch of piercing, explosive arrows at your target that do 18 damage per arrow, and can hit multiple times as they travel through a monster and even cut off tails!.....and they ignore critical distance!...to a point. Get too far away (really far, like 7 hops!) and your arrows will hit for 6 damage each...but there's no minimum distance, so no matter how close you are, you still hit for the full 18 per arrow! Use. Dragonpiercer. Shots.

Even better, is that Dragonpiercer shots do more damage if you charge them, or use them during a combo! Fire a single arrow with R2 and then immediately fire a Dragonpiercer, or press Triangle and Circle after a charging dodge to fire a level 1 Dragonpiercer, doing 19 damage a hit. But, go big or go home, right? If you fire a Dragonpiercer after shooting a level 1 regular arrow, or after two dodge charges, each arrow instead hits for 21 damage each!!! Note that firing a Dragonpiercer after a level 2 charge still only does 21 damage, so it doesn't really matter which you combo into a charged Dragonpiercer. If you have a big opening, some great damage can be done by dodging, firing level 1, hitting R2 to fire a level 2 shot, then chaining that into a Dragonpiercer (16 damage, 27 damage, 63 damage, assuming all hit). If you don't have time, dodge->level 1 shot->Dragonpiercer is still a solid combo. A nice trick is to dodge to the side as a monster charges you, firing a level one charge into it's flank and then a Dragonpiercer into it's tail, since the Dragonpiercer will ignore critical distance, and unless the monster gets really far away after charging you, you'll hit it for the full damage. Also, since the Dragonpiercer, well, pierces, you want to fire it at the head or tail so the arrow travels through as much of the monster as possible. One final REALLY COOL thing is that you can cancel a charged shot into a Dragonpiercer! Instead of releasing R2 to fire an arrow, you can just hit Circle and Triangle while charging to fire a charged Dragonpiercer. This is really fun after a dash!

Finally, and I won't talk about them much since I don't use them, are the quick shot on circle, and the arc shot fired by pressing circle when charging the bow. The arc shot is, so far, kind of worthless in my opinion, unless you want to apply a status. It rains little bombs down onto the monster, doing one damage each hit or two damage depending on how much of a charge it has. I find it meh, but you can combo into it, so it's something to think about.

Then there's the quick shot. Pressing circle either from standing still or after an arrow will fire a spread of arrows in front of you. Again, if you fire it off with no charge, it does 5 damage an arrow. Pressing circle twice fires the quick shot and then a power shot, which does 7 damage an arrow. More importantly though, pressing circle after either a level 1 or 2 charge makes each power shot arrow do 10 damage, which is actually pretty good! The main problem, however, is that both quick and power shot have tiiiiny critical distance. If you aren't within one hop or closer(!) to the monster, your arrows do 1 or 2 damage a hit, which is why I don't tend to use this unless I'm right up on the monster. The problem, of course, is that unless you're using close-range coating, the critical window for quick and power shots are right about when your regular and charged shots are considered "too close", so you lose some damage on the main arrows for potentially (assuming all the power shot arrows hit) more damage from the powershot. It has it's uses, but I'm not the biggest fan. Don't forget about it, use it when you can. One nice combo is Circle->R2->Circle. It comes out quick, does a lot of damage at short range (15+12+50 damage, assuming all quick and powershot arrows hit) and you can get this combo off literally with your face buried in the monster (i.e. at point blank range). You can also do Circle->R2->R2->Circle to throw in an additional 21 damage in there, but for some reason getting a power shot off of the final charge shot has really finicky timing in my hands. (Also you can combo a powershot into a fully charged Dragonpiercer...)

Finally! Coatings! First up is status coatings. These don't change how much damage your arrows do (so, for example, 6, 8, 9 per arrow for each charge level or 6+16+27) but they add effects like sleep, paralysis, poison, and blast. All of these are basically self explanatory, except I can't figure out how blast works in this game. Previously blast built up an explosive charge on the monster, and after enough blast arrows the monster would explode for a lot of extra damage and part breaking. At least on the test dummy this doesn't happen, so who knows.

The other two coatings are important. You have the most important coating, power coating, which adds a ton of damage to each shot. Regular shots do 8, 11, and 12 damage per arrow (so 8+22+36 damage for the basic R2x3 combo), which is already great...but they really shine with Dragonpiercer shots. Your uncharged Dragonpiercer now does 24 damage an arrow, the level 1 Dragonpiercer does 25 damage an arrow, and firing a Dragonpiercer after a level 1 or level 2 shot does 28 damage an arrow! Make your power coatings count by trying to always at least fire a charged shot. Try not to fire uncharged arrows with power coatings applied.

The final coating to discuss is close-range coating. This has a weird functionality. It adds a little bit of damage to your arrows (basic R2 combo becomes 7+18+30 damage), but also does two other things. Firstly it cuts the maximum critical distance down to almost nothing. Get any farther than about 2 hops away, and suddenly your arrows are doing 1 damage, if they even connect. On the other hand....now your bow has no minimum distance, and you'll always do full damage, even at point blank range. One fun thing about this though is that Dragonpiercer still has a nearly infinite critical range...so you can get damage up close and pull off my sidestep-into-dragonpiercer move as a monster runs past you and still do some damage. Close range coatings also make the Circle-R2-R2-Circle combo better, since your R2 shots no longer get penalized for being too close (15+18+30+55 damage if they all connect versus 15+12+21+50 damage with no coating). You get unlimited close range coatings, which is nice, but I don't always use them. If you do, use them after using up your power coating, or if you know a monster is going to be incapacitated for a while. I just don't like fighting that close, and the slight increase in damage isn't enough in my hands to outweigh the risks of being so close to the monster, especially since I don't use the powershot combo that often (though I should probably use it more).

TL;DR the bow is really good for new players, they can learn how to position themselves and will mostly stay out of harm's way in a group, and if you forget to use coatings it's nowhere near as significant a DPS loss as it used to be.

@Madpoet

• Options
    I’m gonna have to bookmark that post. I think I get the concept, but I’m not gone remember all those combos (also I need to translate that into the sensible Xbox controller layout).

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Can we just give up and have the same buttons on both controllers now. We get it, you both wanted to try and do you own thing, and have whatever funky shape you want, but just make all the buttons the same plskthxbye

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I’m gonna have to bookmark that post. I think I get the concept, but I’m not gone remember all those combos (also I need to translate that into the sensible Xbox controller layout).

I ran across some of them in the training area at the basecamp and am new too, so should come pretty quickly.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Can we just give up and have the same buttons on both controllers now. We get it, you both wanted to try and do you own thing, and have whatever funky shape you want, but just make all the buttons the same plskthxbye

Right? At this point everyone should be on the standard of circle, squiggly circle, angry spider, and your own disappointed face looking back from the mirror.

• Options
    I keep seeing that people asked MH:W staff about a Switch port, but all the news articles are blocked because work filter. Is it a hardware problem, and we're never going to see a port, or did they just not feel like doing it, and that may change?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

There's really only one thing to remember the ABCDs!

Always
    Be charging and
    Chaining your shots into
    DRAGONPIERCER

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I keep seeing that people asked MH:W staff about a Switch port, but all the news articles are blocked because work filter. Is it a hardware problem, and we're never going to see a port, or did they just not feel like doing it, and that may change?

I'm pretty sure they figured it would be too hard to do, due to hardware differences.

Well, that and, given they cancelled the English translation of the Switch version of XX, which they already had coded and published in Japan, they clearly don't think there's a market for MonHun in the western Switch market anyway.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I'm still 90% confident Sony handed them a moneyhat that read, "Sony exclusives and Nintendo can't have it.'

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm still 90% confident Sony handed them a moneyhat that read, "Sony exclusives and Nintendo can't have it.'

It totally makes sense really. Put nextgen MH on HD consoles and PC specifically to keep it away from nintendo, even let them release it on non ps4 systems so they can go "we never said they had to avoid nintendo."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

It totally makes sense really. Put nextgen MH on HD consoles and PC specifically to keep it away from nintendo, even let them release it on non ps4 systems so they can go "we never said they had to avoid nintendo."

Or just "no handhelds."

Also, I think this was mostly a move to lock up the Japanese market more than anything. Xbox practically doesn't exist in Japan, so this was a move to make sure Sony had one of the absolute Japanese blockbusters over their Nintendo competitor.

• Options
    I just hope they release Monster Hunter World Ultimate Cross Cross Youth on the Switch. In English.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Or just "no handhelds."

Also, I think this was mostly a move to lock up the Japanese market more than anything. Xbox practically doesn't exist in Japan, so this was a move to make sure Sony had one of the absolute Japanese blockbusters over their Nintendo competitor.

I mean, I'm pretty sure the XBox version doesn't exist in Japan.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Or just "no handhelds."

I mean, I'm pretty sure the XBox version doesn't exist in Japan.

How would we ever know? :P You'd have to ask the two xbox owners if they'd tried preordering.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they figured it would be too hard to do, due to hardware differences.

Well, that and, given they cancelled the English translation of the Switch version of XX, which they already had coded and published in Japan, they clearly don't think there's a market for MonHun in the western Switch market anyway.

XX in the west was pretty easy money for them.

The only reason that makes any damn sense to not release it is that Sony has a time limited no Nintendo clause.

Capcom knows what they have with MH and they have never had a problem selling chunks of exclusivity.

For Sony it makes sense to not care about the Xbox and even the PC because both of those are not as much a threat to them as Nintendo now is in Japan.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    So with MHGen Charge Blade.... I have the basics down, but I'm not really sure what I should be doing for optimal damage.

Basically, I make sure I always have red shield, then charge up my vials. Past that, I switch to axe mode and go for A A A (burst and back to nothing) if I can, if not I just do two A combos until my vials are empty. I know you can do X+A and go right into the burst, but I'm not sure if that is better if you are using impact. I also heard you can hit back+x during a burst so it doesn't use up the red shield, but I'm not sure if that is worth the decrease in damage.

• Options
    I'm super jealous of those of you playing this weekend.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    So with MHGen Charge Blade.... I have the basics down, but I'm not really sure what I should be doing for optimal damage.

Basically, I make sure I always have red shield, then charge up my vials. Past that, I switch to axe mode and go for A A A (burst and back to nothing) if I can, if not I just do two A combos until my vials are empty. I know you can do X+A and go right into the burst, but I'm not sure if that is better if you are using impact. I also heard you can hit back+x during a burst so it doesn't use up the red shield, but I'm not sure if that is worth the decrease in damage.

My understanding is that when possible, you should always try to avoid spending the whole load. Granted, I can never seem to stop it.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    isnt the beta next weekend?

J3qcnBP.png