Options

[Monster Hunter] Monster Hunter World out now! Hatching the friendship-egg.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    All of the MonHun imitators try to speed up the combat and remove or reduce the commitment to each action

They all, as a result, end up feeling really sloppy

I'm fine with that as long as they do an interesting enough take on it. I'd be all over another Freedom Wars, for example.

Yeah, while that had its share of issues, the hyper mobility and gun play stuff was fun. Zipping around shooting rocket launchers while trying to dodge incoming beams and bullets and missiles is very different. But the game needed a fair bit of work in areas....

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    You can in fact go through the entire game not using elemental at all and still succeed via picking high raw damage weapons with good sharpness!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    You can in fact go through the entire game not using elemental at all and still succeed via picking high raw damage weapons with good sharpness!

Do blunt weapons have a "sharpness" rating it's totally cool if so I just want to understand

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Would it be a good experience to go in cold and play for a few days without looking up anything outside the game, if I haven't played a Monster Hunter before? Is it reasonably doable to figure out what monsters are weak to by yourself, or is it something you just need to look up ahead of time?

I don't know if you played the beta or not, but as you track a monster, you fill up a bar. This helps you find the monster during the hunt, but also increases your total knowledge of it. Get enough knowledge, and back at camp you will be able to see weak spots, elemental weaknesses, and so on. The supply box at the start of a quest is also can give you some hints (sonic bombs in there? there is going to be one phase/stance that is good to use them this hunt). They also show the weapon upgrade tree in game too, so you probably are not going to have to check outside info if you don't want to.

Gonna be playing on Xbox, so no beta for me. Knowledge bars sound like what I’m looking for so that’s cool.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Do blunt weapons have a "sharpness" rating it's totally cool if so I just want to understand

Yes. "Sharpness" just means how much you can hit stuff before its damage goes down and you need to sharpen it again to get the damage up, also sharpness goes down much faster when you hit the harder parts of the monster and blunt weapon tend to be better at this, and often those break and either weaken the monster and its attacks and/or give you more stuff to pick up or that you get at the end of the hunt.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Yes. "Sharpness" just means how much you can hit stuff before its damage goes down and you need to sharpen it again to get the damage up, also sharpness goes down much faster when you hit the harder parts of the monster and blunt weapon tend to be better at this, and often those break and either weaken the monster and its attacks and/or give you more stuff to pick up or that you get at the end of the hunt.

All melee weapons have sharpness to track and maintain via whetstones. Ranged weapons all have ammo instead. So no matter what you're going to be watching something.

For extra fun, some melee weapons also have some kind of ammo to watch (gunlance and charge blade, but the latter has a lot of things that are "eat all my ammo now").

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    To be fair, Tri/3U had a really long and decent tutorial.

Not as good as 4U's.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I forgot I had God Eater and Freedom Wars, I'll have to play them more to get the hang of stuff.

edit: is it possible to zoom out farther so that I can actually SEE what the monster is doing? I can't tell tells if I cant see.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    also people new to the game don't really know that 4 man hunts assuming people aren't getting carted left and right are almost always clobberfests in favor of the hunters

it takes more time to find the monster half the time than it does to beat its ass with a competent 4 man group (a mild exaggeration, but)

when I was playing with people from here on MHGen it was almost always like 10-15 minute clears except for when me and frawrst were duoing Amatsu and the challenge stuff like Deviant Xs

IM TELLING YOU WE HAVE TO DPS STAGGER AMMY DURING WHILWIND INSTANT KILL WIND UP

ITS THE ONLY WAY

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Huh. Was that the attack you can evade by crouching down or something?

I don't think I ever actually got around to fighting that one.
    I forgot I had God Eater and Freedom Wars, I'll have to play them more to get the hang of stuff.

edit: is it possible to zoom out farther so that I can actually SEE what the monster is doing? I can't tell tells if I cant see.

Monster Hunter has always felt more deliberate in combat, everything else always feels a bit more... arcadey? Brawling? I dunno. Something with committing to attacks, dodging, tells, etc. is just different in MH. Both for hunters and monsters.

And I don't think MH has a camera zoom option offhand. It's entirely possible to not see the whole monster when you're up in its face for the bigger ones. But most of them only have a couple things they can do depending on where you are relative to them (unless they target someone else). If you have to, back off?

The tells are really good - you can, for instance, tell exactly which version of the lightning field Lagiacrus is going to unleash by its animations (there are three levels iirc, ranging from "this will never hurt you" when its exhausted... to "run the fuck away now" when it's pissed and is going to summon ball lightning on top of the normal field. Khezu likes to switch between a long shock aura and a short one to bait you in before a second - the length of the attack tells you when its safe to go in (because it's wide open after).

Some attacks are pretty fast and don't have much of a tell, but they're usually weaker, and monsters can only hit some places around them that way. Rathian for instance has a quick bite attack, but it only hits ahead and to her left (she always bites in that arc, never the other side), so the right side of her head is safer. But if she's not raging it's not a very strong attack either.

A common tell is that literally every monster that can do a 180 tail sweep attack will always do it in pairs. Every. Single. One.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Not as good as 4U's.

Sadly I didn't play 4U or Gen because after 3U I just couldn't go backwards to playing Monster Hunter on the 3DS old-school PSP style with dated graphics and no camera control again. Which is sad, because I heard they had good added mechanics.

Instead I gave Freedom Wars, Toukiden, and God Eater all tries. The former two didn't grip me long term but God Eater was fun as hell and I'll gladly go back to it.

Polaritie wrote: »

Hahaha, I forgot exactly what monster who's attacks you could avoid through an emote, but I do rember fighting one of those in Tri/3U

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    My favorite thing about tail sweeps is how long it took me to stop falling for the follow-up.

Alright, you got me. But surely after I stand up you won't do it again.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    And I don't think MH has a camera zoom option offhand. It's entirely possible to not see the whole monster when you're up in its face for the bigger ones. But most of them only have a couple things they can do depending on where you are relative to them (unless they target someone else). If you have to, back off?

As someone who lives in the monsters' personal space ("knife-wielding murder-hobo", I belive someone here once called the style), a lot of tells are wasted on me. Especially in Gen when there is a decent chance of me being above them.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    When it comes to weighted combat, committing to actions, and reading tells, Monster Hunter and Dark/Demon's Souls have a hell of a lot in common. Playing one series feels like it gets you more decent at the other, at least where boss fights are concerned. (Conversely, God Eater with Nioh and Bloodborne.)

As for Monster Hunter, do we ever thing water combat is coming back? I kinda liked it.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    When it comes to weighted combat, committing to actions, and reading tells, Monster Hunter and Dark/Demon's Souls have a hell of a lot in common. Playing one series feels like it gets you more decent at the other, at least where boss fights are concerned. (Conversely, God Eater with Nioh and Bloodborne.)

As for Monster Hunter, do we ever thing water combat is coming back? I kinda liked it.

Probably not. It really fucked over gunner weapons and half the melee weapons, though they could always fix that. I think the general community opinion ranges from slightly positive to very negative, so...

Of course, the biggest benefit to it was "fuck Plesioth" and the like with their hiding in water. Also, losing Gobul and its armor is unfortunate. I really like that set.

Polaritie on
  • Options

Probably not. It really fucked over gunner weapons and half the melee weapons, though they could always fix that. I think the general community opinion ranges from slightly positive to very negative, so...

Of course, the biggest benefit to it was "fuck Plesioth" and the like with their hiding in water. Also, losing Gobul and its armor is unfortunate. I really like that set.

Huh? I thought HBG was perfectly fine underwater.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So uhh this comes out at the end of the month, and I've taken 3 days off F YEAH!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i too have taken 3 days off

plus dbfz comes out same day

its a good time to be playing video games

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    also people new to the game don't really know that 4 man hunts assuming people aren't getting carted left and right are almost always clobberfests in favor of the hunters

it takes more time to find the monster half the time than it does to beat its ass with a competent 4 man group (a mild exaggeration, but)

when I was playing with people from here on MHGen it was almost always like 10-15 minute clears except for when me and frawrst were duoing Amatsu and the challenge stuff like Deviant Xs

IM TELLING YOU WE HAVE TO DPS STAGGER AMMY DURING WHILWIND INSTANT KILL WIND UP

ITS THE ONLY WAY

MAN I WAS FULLY ON BOARD ONCE WE DID IT THE FIRST TIME

• Options
    edited January 2018

Not as good as 4U's.

Sadly I didn't play 4U or Gen because after 3U I just couldn't go backwards to playing Monster Hunter on the 3DS old-school PSP style with dated graphics and no camera control again. Which is sad, because I heard they had good added mechanics.

Instead I gave Freedom Wars, Toukiden, and God Eater all tries. The former two didn't grip me long term but God Eater was fun as hell and I'll gladly go back to it.

Hahaha, I forgot exactly what monster who's attacks you could avoid through an emote, but I do rember fighting one of those in Tri/3U

You could dodge Yama Tsukami's vacuum breath instakill or spin attack (i don't remember which) by doing the despair/orz emote but idk if he was in 3u

He was definitely in mhfu though

Orphane on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Not as good as 4U's.

You could dodge Yama Tsukami's vacuum breath instakill or spin attack (i don't remember which) by doing the despair/orz emote but idk if he was in 3u

Despair emote to dodge the spin attack. You can save someone from death by lifepowdering (or similar healing effect) if they get hit by the vacuum attack, and you drink as they are getting hit. It's hella pro when it happens, too.

You get the best weapons from killing him, too. BOAT PADDLE.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Not as good as 4U's.

Despair emote to dodge the spin attack. You can save someone from death by lifepowdering (or similar healing effect) if they get hit by the vacuum attack, and you drink as they are getting hit. It's hella pro when it happens, too.

You get the best weapons from killing him, too. BOAT PADDLE.

i just remember the HBG being the premier bowgun for killing Kirins

pellet hipfire all day erry day

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, Xbros. Like with Destiny, we're gonna have to be the scrappy underdogs compared with these highfallutin' playstation folks. I made a channel for us in the PAMH discord channel, just for fun. I figure we'll have more newbies than veterans, so please unleash with the questions as you see fit. This is a dense game, sometimes, so getting some info to have fun faster is a good idea.

https://discord.gg/Revr98j

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'm an Xbox newb. Watched a bunch of videos on the game today and decided to order it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    For you xbro newbs, while it's a bit of a time commitment at 20 minutes, I heartily recommend watching Gaijin Hunter's weapon showcase and commentary. Picking your first weapon is a big choice, and I really, really strongly recommend picking one of the "simpler" ones just as you get your feet wet. You'll absolutely be able to switch it up, but the very first thing you'll want to do is just grok the pace of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYAp19LNCI

Also, get used to Gaijin Hunter. He is the overly obsessed nerd we need, not the one we deserve. I struggled to truly click with monster hunter until I started putting in the 20 minutes to really watch his weapon tutorials so I could understand how to use a weapon. Monster Hunter has a touch of fighting game to it sometimes, in that you need to understand combos, cancels, and all that jazz. But you don't need to understand it immediately! First you just need to understand how to look awesome while cutting something's tail off after eating meal prepared by a cat chef.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    There is an Xbox channel for hunting on the discord and @Darkewolfe has been made a mod for you folks.

We won't need it for hunting as much anymore until PC release.

But we should use it to help newer players out and field questions.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I have a group of 3 noobs (including myself) waiting to hunt on the xBone. I'm leaning towards dual swords, since that was the only weapon I could take the third beta monster down with. However, I'm usually the tank of the group, so sword/shield, hammer, and gunlance/shield look interesting. Noob#2 will pick some giant f-off weapon like greatsword, but Noob#3 is going to look to me for weapon advice. So I'm going to preemptively pass that question on to you - what's the best weapon for someone that wants to tag along and be useful, but is a much more casual gamer than the rest of the group? They usually take bows when available, but if something with a shield is more survivable they might be better off with that.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I have a group of 3 noobs (including myself) waiting to hunt on the xBone. I'm leaning towards dual swords, since that was the only weapon I could take the third beta monster down with. However, I'm usually the tank of the group, so sword/shield, hammer, and gunlance/shield look interesting. Noob#2 will pick some giant f-off weapon like greatsword, but Noob#3 is going to look to me for weapon advice. So I'm going to preemptively pass that question on to you - what's the best weapon for someone that wants to tag along and be useful, but is a much more casual gamer than the rest of the group? They usually take bows when available, but if something with a shield is more survivable they might be better off with that.
    A bow is actually a nice noob-friendly weapon. No ammo concerns (there are coatings, but these are value adds rather than ammunition), a simple charge-up mechanic, and it's point and shoot with few/no combo considerations. There are some special shot types (like the arc shots), but a bow user can contribute to any hunt.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Bows should be fine, especially with gunners getting full defense now.

Good support options with status coatings on them. Poison or paralysis is shiny free damage for the party before you go to power coatings.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So I know this is a little late to the game, but what are the chances people with still be playing Generations after World comes out? I played a decent amount of 4, and I really like the game, even though I'm kind of bad at it, and I kind of want to see all the cool new stuff, but I'm not sure if it'll end up being a mostly solo experience, and how much I'll be missing out on if it is a mostly solo experience. Also, is it enough of a different game from 4u to make it worth it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Madpoet wrote: »

One thing I'd like to point out is that "tank" is not particularly meaningful here. Everyone is trying not to get hit at all. More meaningful role break outs are, like:

-I am greatsword. My job is to stick to the tail, carefully measure out my very slow attacks, and slowly make massive attacks to chop that tail off.

-I am dual blades. I am mr. Stabby on crack. My role is to not get in greatsword's way, and to just get in close to the monster's stomach and stab him like crazy.

-i am longsword. I have elegant, awesome combo attacks and my job is to make sure I'm away from everyone else because my attacks often trip my teammates.

-I am Lance. I am a master of precision and pinpoint attacks. Please don't trip me, longsword.

-i am hunting horn. I'm like a giant club that knocks the monster out by focusing on head attacks, similar to hammer. Also, I give group buffs by playing ddr with my combos.

-(my personal weapon) I am insect glaive. I will never stop jumping and my teammates will get so sick of me.

• Options
    Longsword is the perfect solo weapon that aggravates the shit out of every other hunter.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lance and GL can tank for short term with the Challenger mantle.

Also they upped the Lance's defensive moveset significantly.

lance is real good.

• Options
    I always go "I'm going to try all these other weapons, I'm going to main... fucking great sword and hammer, I know me, I know everytime that's where I end up."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always go "I'm going to try all these other weapons, I'm going to main... fucking great sword and hammer, I know me, I know everytime that's where I end up."

Most people I have hunted with here will tell you that's my pattern. I almost always end up with a whole lotta Lances.

Except for 4u. For some reason I got crazy into sns for just that one game.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Most people I have hunted with here will tell you that's my pattern. I almost always end up with a whole lotta Lances.

Except for 4u. For some reason I got crazy into sns for just that one game.

I think for me both GS and Hammer have that hit and run play style. Where as other weapons you can't just rely on getting really good hits and running away as much.

From what I've seen of people playing the betas and stuff World looks to have so many interesting weapons I'll try and make a better go of it before I go back to greatsword.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I kept meaning to figure out Sword and Shield because... I'm fucking Batman. But IG for life, travel everywhere by jumping.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I kept meaning to figure out Sword and Shield because... I'm fucking Batman. But IG for life, travel everywhere by jumping.

IG is fun, but the kinsect fucked with me hard, both the leveling of them and the targeting them. I wonder if an xbox controller will make it easier.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, I would definitely recommend AGAINST going Insect Glaive if you're a new player. First, it's my fave weapon and I'm special. But second, it's an obnoxiously complicated weapon with a bunch of extra shit tacked onto an already complicated game and combat system, and I think new players would be better served NOT picking it as their first time out the gate. I bounced kind of hard the first time I tried to MonHon in part because of the IG. It was only after I'd quit, then come back and tried dual blades, greatsword, and longsword that I was like, "Oooohhh, I get this game" and then renewed my interest in the IG.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Leveling the kinsect in Generations was so much simpler, it wasn't like in 4U that you would practically ruin the glaive forever.