As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I forget where I first heard Slay the Spire being talked about but in the past two months it really has gotten huge. I think there were some Chinese streamers who were big into it and it also recently got a Chinese language pack.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Finished Hollow Knight. Very much a dark sously kinda ending, but whatevs. Game was a blast to play. I appreciated that the super challenging stuff in the game was optional. Though I would have loved more spike/nail hopping challenges. Finishing those made me feel pretty badass.

I also really enjoyed the final fight(s) sequence.
    Hornet dropping in with her needle into hollow knight's dome and yelling at you to finish up was pretty dope. That sequence didn't get old despite how many times I had to go through it to finish off The Radiance. I love how you challenge The Radiance like with the mantis lords. Your little knight just stands there, faces 'em and pulls out his nail. Boss comes out, has its own dang title card, and some suitable boss music starts. Loved it

87% completion with about 24 hours played. Fantastic game, nice and challenging but nothing too crazy. I just recommend having a guide on stand-by to point you in the right direction when the way forward is unclear. Saved me a ton of time and for me, didn't detract from the game much at all.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Finished Hollow Knight. Very much a dark sously kinda ending, but whatevs. Game was a blast to play. I appreciated that the super challenging stuff in the game was optional. Though I would have loved more spike/nail hopping challenges. Finishing those made me feel pretty badass.

I also really enjoyed the final fight(s) sequence.
    Hornet dropping in with her needle into hollow knight's dome and yelling at you to finish up was pretty dope. That sequence didn't get old despite how many times I had to go through it to finish off The Radiance. I love how you challenge The Radiance like with the mantis lords. Your little knight just stands there, faces 'em and pulls out his nail. Boss comes out, has its own dang title card, and some suitable boss music starts. Loved it

87% completion with about 24 hours played. Fantastic game, nice and challenging but nothing too crazy. I just recommend having a guide on stand-by to point you in the right direction when the way forward is unclear. Saved me a ton of time and for me, didn't detract from the game much at all.

yeah I think a lot of complaints come from the utter lack of direction the game gives you, but I really enjoyed it overall

also there's more DLC coming! They added in the Hidden Dreams and Grim Troupe stuff already, but there will be one last free DLC, and then a paid expansion where you get to play as Hornet

• Options
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Damn, Slay the Spire has been blowing up. Currently sitting at #4 on the Global Top Sellers list.

I wonder what caused the bump? I've seen more people talking about it on Twitter but has some streamer done something lately?

northerlion started playing it, and he's basically the biggest dude in the binding of isaac youtube/streaming scene, so if anybody made another roguelike blow up, it's probably him

cobalt is the big isaac streamer
    but yeah, ryab started playing it and got cobalt and austin(lastgreywolf) into it and it took off

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I look at SW Battlefront 2 and think "it's amazing that games can look like this but also sad that they have no interest in making the types of Star Wars games I would like to play"

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I just got a crate in PUBG that I need to buy a key to unlock

fuck you, game

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i really wish there'd been more pushback on crates in all valve's games

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Too many people willing to go to great lengths to defend a game they like (or at least turn a blind eye) despite it's exploitative behaviors.

See Also: Overwatch

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I really really hope more people decide that no, Overwatch is not "the good example of how to do it right"

Overwatch ain't good either

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    wait cuphead is best style?

lol

• Options
    Witcher 3 is how I prefer my DLC/Monetization

I'll pay you $60-80 for a game and $15-25 for 1-2 big ass expansion packs

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    As much as I like Witcher 3 and how they have supported that game, the horror stories about working for CDPR kind of keep me from lauding it as the gold standard.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    overwatch loot boxes are complete shit

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I just got a crate in PUBG that I need to buy a key to unlock

fuck you, game
    Just sell it on the steam market. It's what all the hackers are doing.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

This rather implies that it was not death by a thousand cuts, at least in Team Fortress 2.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

This rather implies that it was not death by a thousand cuts, at least in Team Fortress 2.

I mean, the pertinent example in this case, crates that required you to spend real world money to unlock was a pretty big dang cut that we could have taken a stand on.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited January 2018
    According the Wikipedia the first in North America was Team Fortress 2. And the decision to go free-to-play at the same time softened the blow. Pay-to-open crates in a free-to-play game is something most people consider reasonable.

According to Wikipedia, Mass Effect 3 was the first non-free game to have pay-to-open loot crates. Or, in Jim Sterling's words, fee-to-pay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box#History

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I mean, the pertinent example in this case, crates that required you to spend real world money to unlock was a pretty big dang cut that we could have taken a stand on.

Nah.
    They had provided several updates over the course of years without getting paid, a community contribution contest had just been run and those authors were getting paid, and all the things in the crates were available outside the crates.

If anything, there was more outcry over receiving otherwise standard weaponry in the crates, wasting the key you purchased.

discrider on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    According the Wikipedia the first in North America was Team Fortress 2. And the decision to go free-to-play at the same time softened the blow. Pay-to-open crates in a free-to-play game is something most people consider reasonable.

According to Wikipedia, Mass Effect 3 was the first non-free game to have pay-to-open loot crates. Or, in Jim Sterling's words, fee-to-pay.

Oh, and while the Internet is still kvetching over the progression system and lootboxes in Battlefront 2, let us remember: ME3 had random unlocks with crates years before this game.

• Options
    the only mark for positivity with overwatch is that there is no secondary market and as such the speculative nature isn't there

it's still garbage, but it ain't valve garbage

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I don't remember having to pay to open crates in ME3, you could buy them with real money, yes, but you didn't have to pay to open the progression ones from what I recall. I has been a long time though so maybe there was a "premium" crate added a while after release.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Nah.
    They had provided several updates over the course of years without getting paid, a community contribution contest had just been run and those authors were getting paid, and all the things in the crates were available outside the crates.

If anything, there was more outcry over receiving otherwise standard weaponry in the crates, wasting the key you purchased.

None of that makes that system okay in my book. Giving users a "free" mystery box and saying "pay us to find out what's inside" is some jank-ass psychological manipulation and absolutely set the precedent for this stuff being in other games and helped normalize it.

Some sort of microtransactions in Team Fortress might be acceptable, but that particular execution fucking sucks

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Nah.

None of that makes that system okay in my book. Giving users a "free" mystery box and saying "pay us to find out what's inside" is some jank-ass psychological manipulation and absolutely set the precedent for this stuff being in other games and helped normalize it.

Some sort of microtransactions in Team Fortress might be acceptable, but that particular execution fucking sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNIFD7TxwU

the box THE BOX

• Options

I don't remember having to pay to open crates in ME3, you could buy them with real money, yes, but you didn't have to pay to open the progression ones from what I recall. I has been a long time though so maybe there was a "premium" crate added a while after release.

you COULD get them for free, but it was very slow

especially when they added new boxes and you stopped playing for any length of time

• Options
    You're probably right, the whole reason I checked wikipedia is because it feels like crates have been here forever and they all blur together for me.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You're probably right, the whole reason I checked wikipedia is because it feels like crates have been here forever and they all blur together for me.

ME3 is definitely why every EA title since has been riddled with crates or card packs though. Those things made an absolute tonne of money for the company.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Team Fortress 2 was not Free to Play when it got loot boxes.
    That came later, to capitalise on the loot boxes.

Rather, there were discounted game days in the steam sales with like TF2 for two bucks or so, presumably during which the were large influxes of people buying accounts to store more garbage and idle for weapon drops.

• Options

i know that tim soret is a milkshake duck, but this ad really is something

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'd watch that show.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I mean, let's be clear.
    The battle that was fought and lost in TF2 was not just against loot boxes, it was against casualisation.
    The decision to cater to either people who'll play a good game forever, or those who'll pick the game up for a couple of tens of hours because the game got a new update.

These intermittent players are far more populous, and therefore far more profitable.
    And so we have the drop system, and the constant drip feed of content patches, and the loot box system, and the in-game store, and trading, and season passes to the next bot killer weapon missions, and quickplay servers, and free-to-play.
    And quickplay is now killing the game, as the unmoderated servers that everyone joins drip with hackers, and the community servers languish in obscurity.

It is the way of things, and I realised it was the way of things back then, when the weapons started edging towards higher lethality.

Loot boxes are exploitative, but they don't really have an appeal if you play for hours and fill your inventory full of grist.
    But they weren't ever designed for me...

discrider on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I mean, let's be clear.
    The battle that was fought and lost in TF2 was not just against loot boxes, it was against casualisation.
    The decision to cater to either people who'll play a good game forever, or those who'll pick the game up for a couple of tens of hours because the game got a new update.

These intermittent players are far more populous, and therefore far more profitable.
    And so we have the drop system, and the constant drip feed of content patches, and the loot box system, and the in-game store, and trading, and season passes to the next bot killer weapon missions, and quickplay servers, and free-to-play.
    And quickplay is now killing the game, as the unmoderated servers that everyone joins drip with hackers, and the community servers languish in obscurity.

It is the way of things, and I realised it was the way of things back then, when the weapons started edging towards higher lethality.

Loot boxes are exploitative, but they don't really have an appeal of you play for hours and fill your inventory full of grist.

The growing popularity of "games as a service" is all about getting people to play one game forever

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Man could Cage's defense of himself be any dumber?
    Cage said the allegations were "ridiculous, absurd and grotesque".

"You want to talk about homophobia?" he said. "I work with Ellen Page, who fights for LGBT rights. You want to talk about racism? I work with Jesse Williams, who fights for civil rights in the USA... Judge me by my work."

A) That's not your work. That's Page and Williams' work.

B) Sure, Ellen Page, the lady who almost sued you for including a nude model of her in the game who you refused to mediate with? That's your defense, that you worked with someone who would definitely refuse to work with you again?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I have a black friend I can't be racist!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I have a black friend I can't be racist!

More "I employed a black actor!"

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    I mean, let's be clear.

Loot boxes are exploitative, but they don't really have an appeal of you play for hours and fill your inventory full of grist.

The growing popularity of "games as a service" is all about getting people to play one game forever

Nope.
    It's novelty over longevity.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    "I had a black person work for me" is a great argument that you're not racist.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Novelty drives the indie scene, but longevity is definitely one of the main goals of AAA games. Get a cash cow, people play it forever, you have lots of money. You earn more and spend less on development. Instead of developing a new game each year, you only need to make new items periodically (and levels if you're feeling generous).

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Well, okay.
    I couldn't think of a better word.
    But the idea is you want the bulk of players, who don't play as often or competitively, to play as long as possible, at the expense of the minority of players, who play competitively and tend to make up a dying game's 'tail' for years after the main bulk dies off.

And I posit that the only way to do this is through constant novelty, as otherwise that bulk moves to some other game.

• Options
    Novelty drives the indie scene, but longevity is definitely one of the main goals of AAA games. Get a cash cow, people play it forever, you have lots of money. You earn more and spend less on development. Instead of developing a new game each year, you only need to make new items periodically (and levels if you're feeling generous).

r6siege is really good tho

This discussion has been closed.