Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    So, about that missile alert

NPR had an update. Apparently the computer system that controls the alerts had a drop-down list containing the following two options:

"Missile alert"

"Test missile alert"

The person running the test selected the wrong option twice, which is definitely an issue but COME ON REALLY

Also, there was no way to cancel an alert. Apparently the state had to frantically call their tech people to add an alert cancellation message to the system. This is why it took so long.

I would bet my eye teeth that at least a dozen people here could build a better system while hungover on a Monday. How hard is it to spend five minutes thinking of ways in which users will fuck up?

Bad UX design (potentially) costs lives. It's super frustrating that much of the blame is probably going to fall on the person who clicked the wrong thing, and not the programmers/managers/people in charge of budgeting who set them up to fail.

More frustrating still because disasters and near-disasters caused by abysmal interfaces in critical systems has become a running theme as more and more things come to rely on software.

When was the system built? I wouldn't be surprised if it was built in the 80s, or if at least some parts of it were.

The warning system is less than a year old.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's weird to me even that 'missile alert' is an option in a drop-down menu and not a big red button on the wall. But I've probably just watched too many films.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was a drop down menu alert?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    RyK6etE.png

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I took Monday off work to have a long weekend

I have 51 unread emails

I TOOK ONE DAY OFF

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I took Monday off work to have a long weekend

I have 51 unread emails

I TOOK ONE DAY OFF
    That's a lot of "please remove me from this reply all e-mail chain"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So that whole panic came about because some person thought they were playing SimCity. That makes sense.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I just sent a reply all on an e-mail; it was the right thing to do, everyone on the CC list needed to know about it, but it felt like I was committing a sin against god and man

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I do reply all, all the time

Because all the fuckers copied in need to know what's happening.

But 51 unread emails for a day off? Jesus wept, something has gone tits up

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I reply all on everything that needs doing so. Because I only work 4 days a week and if things break on Friday, other folks need the paper trail to help fix it.

Edit,. Got my queue down to zero a few times today. They needed two people while I was away on leave. It's me. I da boss

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    it's a slow day at work so I'm reading Not Always Right, and this story made me crack a big ol' smile so I thought I'd share it
    (I work in a coffee shop. I am on break in the lobby when a couple walks in. Directly behind them is a cute little boy in Batman costume.)

Me: “Oh, my God! It’s BATMAN!”

(The boy stops, strikes a pose, and starts looking around menacingly. After a few seconds, he approaches the counter.)

Mother: “Jeff, would you like a chocolate milk?”

Boy: “I am not Jeff. I am The Batman.”

Mother: “The Batman, would you like a chocolate milk?”

Boy: “Yes. Yes, The Batman would.”

(The couple pays while the boy sits down with his chocolate milk. He keeps a stern look on his face as he sips the drink.)

Boy: *sips* “Gotham is safe.”

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

NPR had an update. Apparently the computer system that controls the alerts had a drop-down list containing the following two options:

"Missile alert"

"Test missile alert"

The person running the test selected the wrong option twice, which is definitely an issue but COME ON REALLY

Also, there was no way to cancel an alert. Apparently the state had to frantically call their tech people to add an alert cancellation message to the system. This is why it took so long.

I would bet my eye teeth that at least a dozen people here could build a better system while hungover on a Monday. How hard is it to spend five minutes thinking of ways in which users will fuck up?

Bad UX design (potentially) costs lives. It's super frustrating that much of the blame is probably going to fall on the person who clicked the wrong thing, and not the programmers/managers/people in charge of budgeting who set them up to fail.

More frustrating still because disasters and near-disasters caused by abysmal interfaces in critical systems has become a running theme as more and more things come to rely on software.

It honestly should not even be a user selectable warning. They should be in two different locations within the program. And the actual missile warning should make itself known it's the actual missile warning.

Maybe they should look at years of experience instead of only using bachelors as a hiring cutoff for those government contracted systems eh? :rotate: (for those unaware, I've tried getting into the gov't contracting software development for the past 2 years, but I get rebuffed constantly because "you don't have a bachelors but other than that you're our perfect candidate" and I have 10+ years of experience in software development)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I do reply all, all the time

Because all the fuckers copied in need to know what's happening.

But 51 unread emails for a day off? Jesus wept, something has gone tits up

For me, that's a Tuesday.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Asking as someone who's only worked in public education since college, and is totally ignorant of how, I guess, "business world" HR typically runs: I applied for a training position at a company a friend works for, mainly because he was told they were looking for people with education backgrounds. The first position was filled internally and never posted. The same position opened at another branch and was posted late last week. 14 people applied, and Monday I received what seemed to be a pretty standard "thanks but naw, bro" email, which specifically cited my experience (10 years teaching and a masters in curriculum and instruction) as not matching their requirements. When I asked him, he looked into it and said they decided to fill it internally, also. He seems to think I'm livid at this, I've repeatedly assured him I'm only really disappointed at the fact that I had to go back to work today unable to anticipate leaving for good in the next few weeks. Is it common for someone(s) in charge of hiring to change their minds after receiving external applicants like that? In education, I've seen plenty of examples where the district is required to post a job and accept all qualified applications, but it's really just a cya, following-the-state-rules gesture and they've already decided who they're going with. Am I just seeing a corporate version of the same thing? Just curious.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    Asking as someone who's only worked in public education since college, and is totally ignorant of how, I guess, "business world" HR typically runs: I applied for a training position at a company a friend works for, mainly because he was told they were looking for people with education backgrounds. The first position was filled internally and never posted. The same position opened at another branch and was posted late last week. 14 people applied, and Monday I received what seemed to be a pretty standard "thanks but naw, bro" email, which specifically cited my experience (10 years teaching and a masters in curriculum and instruction) as not matching their requirements. When I asked him, he looked into it and said they decided to fill it internally, also. He seems to think I'm livid at this, I've repeatedly assured him I'm only really disappointed at the fact that I had to go back to work today unable to anticipate leaving for good in the next few weeks. Is it common for someone(s) in charge of hiring to change their minds after receiving external applicants like that? In education, I've seen plenty of examples where the district is required to post a job and accept all qualified applications, but it's really just a cya, following-the-state-rules gesture and they've already decided who they're going with. Am I just seeing a corporate version of the same thing? Just curious.

It is government vs business.

Governments need to repeatedly accountable. Businesses do not. James from accounting, probably stuck his hand up and went, sure, I'll give it a red hot. And they filled it like that.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Worse.

They released a screenshot of the alleged interface for sending the alerts in Hawaii:

You can cry now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Yeah the drop down one was a fake one from reddit's programmerhumor subreddit I think.

This is so bad, holy shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Okay, yeah. Absolutely not the fault of the operator there. That UI is atrocious.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah I feel real bad for whoever made that mistake, it looks very easy to do

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah I feel real bad for whoever made that mistake, it looks very easy to do

There's a decent chance, if Hawaii Emergency Button Man gets trained anything like any of the various public safety-oriented emergency training I've ever had, that they were working off something they got drilled on once and otherwise were supposed to remember by consulting a procedure manual on-shift.

I'm sure there are places where it's done better, considering I was always a very unimportant cog in a larger collection of people in any of those situations, but for something to have gone that wrong makes me wonder what was done to try to avoid it.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I've been feeling recently that although I get verbal praise at work, it wasn't translating to anything tangible.

Looks like that might be changing.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Worse.

They released a screenshot of the alleged interface for sending the alerts in Hawaii:

You can cry now.

That's fucking atrocious, dear god.

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    We're in the midst of what is for South Texas a nasty little ice storm that has pretty well shut the city down. I still had to come in to work if I didn't want to burn one of my few vacation days. On the upside, the boss brought in enough hot chocolate to make multiple crock pots worth and vanilla liqueur and coffee liqueur, so things aren't looking totally bleak.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I've been feeling recently that although I get verbal praise at work, it wasn't translating to anything tangible.

Looks like that might be changing.

Awesome to hear that! That kind of situation has been the #1 reason for me looking for other employment in every job.

• Options
    why does the drill even have to be on the same program

do it on a dummy program that isn't connected to anything

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    why does the drill even have to be on the same program

do it on a dummy program that isn't connected to anything

at least format the links so it's not a fucking unsorted list of hyperlinks

make it bold, red, and something flashy for fucks sake

bowen on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    no you see the test program is missle warning I and the actual missile warning is missile warning |

I don't see how you'd make the mistake, personally

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I feel kind of terrible for the poor bastard that hit the wrong button after seeing that ui.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    @Liiya , is this a big topic of conversation in the UK right now? https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/01/northern-forest-united-kingdom/550025/
    Northern England is set to get a whole lot greener. On Sunday, the U.K. government unveiled plans for a vast new forest spanning the country from coast to coast. Shadowing the path of the east-west M62 Highway, the new forest will create a broad green rib across England from Liverpool to the east coast city of Hull.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

"Missile alert"

"Test missile alert"

I read on the internet (so it is obviously true!) that a man killed his family to save them from the horror of the nukes.
    Of course, I have never seen a source for it. But the thought that it's entirely possible and could be something that might happen is really scary. In addition to the actual missiles being launch, of course. I've read that people were hiding in storm drains, just pure panic, and lots and lots of heartwrenching goodbye texts.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    @Liiya , is this a big topic of conversation in the UK right now? https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/01/northern-forest-united-kingdom/550025/
    Northern England is set to get a whole lot greener. On Sunday, the U.K. government unveiled plans for a vast new forest spanning the country from coast to coast. Shadowing the path of the east-west M62 Highway, the new forest will create a broad green rib across England from Liverpool to the east coast city of Hull.

That is really awesome.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I feel kind of terrible for the poor bastard that hit the wrong button after seeing that ui.

The radio report I heard this morning says that they are not identifying the person who did it, transferred them to another department, and have redesigned the system so it can't happen again.
    Bad mistake to make to begin with, but it kinda feels like the best possible solution.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    The phrase "vast new forest" is so, so cool.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm somewhat amazed that reforesting that big an area would only cost half a billion dollars.

That's a tiny monetary investment for a massive carbon sink.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm in a meeting rn

The point of this meeting is to discuss how bad one of my coworkers sucks

It's riveting, like watching a tennis match

I'm just sitting here grinning and on the inside I'm laughing like the joker

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    This 5-10 business day wait for the background check to get done is excruciating. Even though its only day 6 and the likely start date was said to probably be next week it's still making me anxious and paranoid even though I have no reason to be

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

That is really awesome.

I want to be happy about this but I have become too cynical. I'm waiting to hear that the reason they're doing this is because every other tree in Britain has been sold to chop down and make into commemorative pencils for the royal wedding.

• Options
    As someone who has fucked up badly enough at work that I felt like shit for weeks, I honestly don't know if I would survive making a mistake like this. My heart goes out to whoever it was.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm somewhat amazed that reforesting that big an area would only cost half a billion dollars.

That's a tiny monetary investment for a massive carbon sink.

So I got curious and turned to the google. North Carolina State University (https://projects.ncsu.edu/project/treesofstrength/treefact.htm) tells me a tree absorbs "as much as 48 pounds of CO2 per year." The EPA (https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/greenhouse-gas-emissions-typical-passenger-vehicle) tells me "A typical passenger vehicle emits about 4.7 [10361.7 pounds] metric tons of carbon dioxide per year."

Assuming a flat absorption rate of 48 lb/year, 50 million trees is about equivalent to getting 231 000 cars off the road. Is that right? That seems like a lot. Wow.

This discussion has been closed.