As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    These kids get so god damn whiny when I tell them they can't use the restroom

motherfuckers if I have to hold it you can hold it too

That's ... hmm.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    We've had this conversation before, but it's basically impossible for me to let certain classes go to the restroom because when one ask then they all ask and suddenly I have a literal chain of like 10 kids that want to go and y'all have a test you're supposed to take so no sit down go between classes like you're supposed to

• Options
    I've also had kids I let go to the bathroom and then not come back until literally 2 minutes before class and whoops you get a referral for just skipping class

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it's usually because teachers hate letting kids go to the bathroom so when one does they all take advantage of it instead of waiting between classes when there's no time

You can avoid this situation going forward if you say "if you need to use the bathroom use it before my class, I won't write you up or do anything if you tell me when you come in"

I hate the entire concept around needing permission to deal with bodily functions. So what if people abuse it, deal with the abusers directly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    (that's more directed at school administration, not you oghulk)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I know, as a sub I have literally no power here. I just hate dealing with the whiny ones.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I mean you're also a sub so put on a video and write some hall passes, ain't no one gonna learn with a sub

bowen on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I think that went pretty well, should be hearing back in a week or so. A week in which I can let my anxiety fester.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I am a substitute 6th-grade language arts teacher today.

The kids have been assigned a writing project based on intense fears & phobias.

We have had a lot of discussion of fears as well as the core idea of fear itself.

And now I feel like Dr. Jonathan Crane.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Work ended early yesterday. They're closed all day today. Hooray for a free paid day off! Fiancée's work canceled as well so it looks like netflix and warm foods day!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

The kids have been assigned an writing project based on intense fears & phobias.

We have had a lot of discussion of fears as well as the core idea of fear itself.

I told you before, stop wearing creepy scarecrow masks to school!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

The kids have been assigned an writing project based on intense fears & phobias.

I told you before, stop wearing creepy scarecrow masks to school!

YOU AREN'T MY SUPERVISOR!

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    I've had to kill so many trees today printing copies of spec books for an architect, a builder, and a homeowner because a bunch of old dudes can't get with the times and use dropbox. I hope when the trees rise up to kill us all that they're in the first wave.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

I know, as a sub I have literally no power here. I just hate dealing with the whiny ones.

Definitely read that in a different context

• Options

Oh hey me too

except I'm giving my kids a test on a laptop

it's literally IT problems galore

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Definitely read that in a different context

DhIyZ6e.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Motherfuckers if you have legal mail at your desks then bring it over when I'm doing sorting, not when I'm racing the clock for logging!

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    littlewren wrote: »
    I've had to kill so many trees today printing copies of spec books for an architect, a builder, and a homeowner because a bunch of old dudes can't get with the times and use dropbox. I hope when the trees rise up to kill us all that they're in the first wave.

Sometimes, looking at paper copies of things is better. Large-format prints are one of those situations, I have found.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Had my review today, nailed the top performance bucket in the company (bottom of it, but even being in it is rare enough we call them unicorns).
    Means a whole lot given I was laid off earlier in the year. In your face layoff people!

• Options
    @Oghulk, last period I had a lengthy discussions with the class about how I am not afraid of death.

Because it only happens once.

• Options
    @Oghulk, last period I had a lengthy discussions with the class about how I am not afraid of death.

Because it only happens once.

I mean, clearly you don't. No one afraid of death would so easily aggro the Korean Karaoke bartenders

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God damn it. I have tickets to Black Panther on the 15th but I just realized that is Parent/Teacher Conferences. God damn it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    This form needs my "Cost Center" and "Business Area", neither of which are listed in my intranet profile, but I do have a "Business Segment" and a "Business Unit"? I'm pretty sure cost center would be on my paycheck but of course that system uses a different login and I don't remember my username or password.

• Options
    some of you may remember the lady I was talking about a few weeks ago who was basically been isolated from the rest of the front office staff because of a couple of peeps

apparently they tried to pin the blame on her for something? I don't know the entire story but she just broke down crying and jesus christ why are people so god damned awful?

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Everyone got sent home early today due to ice and snow on all the state-ignored back roads we have to take to get home. I am okay with this.

Also managed to get an appointment to get all these pinched nerves that aren't healing checked out, but it won't be til next Tuesday, which I am less okay with.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    We FINALLY got airgas to deliver a calibration bottle we'd been asking about for a month and a half. Halle-fuckin-lujah. I can actually do my job today.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was going to get so much game art done last night, but leaving the house for my own reasons rather than serving my family or grocery shopping left me tired and queasy. Sucked it up and go to bed early.

I wake up, game, write some dialog, and now I'm tired and queasy again.

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong type of sleep?

Highlight, playing Skyrim with a steam controller while my niece sat in my lap.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So when I got this job ~3 months ago I inherited the oldest PC in our workgroup. It's super slow, takes me about 8 minutes to log in first thing in the morning, when my coworkers can log in in less than 30 seconds.

My boss just turned to me and told me to back up my shit because I'm getting a new PC. Thanks, new year's budget!

• Options
    FnTvicl.jpg

Well now everything makes sense.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Had my first day back to work after being out since midway through last Wednesday for PAX. There was a pile of stuff on my desk and 30+ emails in my inbox, and I managed to get through it all by lunch, basically. Now I just have to finish my project I started last week and send out ~1000 letters to kids' parents by Friday. No sweat.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    apparently my magnum opus with my old employer crashed and burned miserably in its second outing in the field. just a bunch of different shit went wrong. Doesn't really sound like any of it was as a result of my legacy but it sucks to hear about it. Things went so bad everyone was kicked off of the job. I really liked that the guys I worked with on it too. Now the people that shit talked it get to say how justified they were and that was a total piece of crap. Anyway, not my problem now and it still looks great on my resume.

Also, apparently the senior electrical engineer that I worked with on that project is leaving too...and another senior engineer that was in the same R&D/Product development group that we got moved to. That R&D group is now down to 2 people...including the manager. I'm curious if they're just going to shit can that project or what. Suck it, former employer. All the best and brightest are streaming out the door as you burn to the ground.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Also I don't want to say too much because it's still super early times, but there is a chance that I might be able to snag a job at BMW working warehouse under a really cool dude.

The downside is that it'd be night shift.

The upside is that it would be guaranteed eight hour days and five day weeks, since there are already three set shifts and a weekend crew of part-timers.

Oh, and I'd be getting paid $25,000 more a year.

I'll be finding out more within a few weeks hopefully.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    There should be a law that employers have to post the fucking salary range on job listings.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    There should be a law that employers have to post the fucking salary range on job listings.

That's a thing that just passed here in the Bay Area. Employers also won't be able to ask what you made previously.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options

I don't get why they don't.

The majority of them are looking for quality candidates, and what better to entice someone to leave their job than having something that someone can go "holy shit yeah that's a good idea now"

I hate getting an interview then finding out they want to pay $14 an hour but their requirements are essentially "senior software developer"

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I don't get why they don't.

The majority of them are looking for quality candidates, and what better to entice someone to leave their job than having something that someone can go "holy shit yeah that's a good idea now"

I hate getting an interview then finding out they want to pay $14 an hour but their requirements are essentially "senior software developer"

I think they want to get someone desperate enough that will accept the shit pay just so they have a job.

It's essentially just greed. Yeah they could pay someone what they're worth, but why would they want to do that when the market is so dire for job seekers? Why pay someone $90,000 a year when they know they can get a desperate person to accept $50k?

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    This is why I like working for the government. That’s never a concern. I know how much everyone in the entire organisation makes because all pay scales are public knowledge. Everyone gets paid the same for the level they’re at and you all get the same increases.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Ahahaha

The power went out at the entire middle school in the last 45 minutes.

My students asked if this meant they could all play games.

I perhaps went in another way and made them pull out their cell-phones so they could keep doing their assignments.

Because Mr. C will tolerate no excuses.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Muggins wrote: »

That's a thing that just passed here in the Bay Area. Employers also won't be able to ask what you made previously.

It's never come up for me, but I've decided that if I'm ever asked that my response will be "my professional ethics prevent me from answering questions about salary". If they kick the fuck off at that, I probably don't want to work there. It's a good test.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    They're looking for people who can't afford to refuse that question, you see

This discussion has been closed.