As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Russia/US investigation thread] - Mueller seeks to question Trump

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    The extent to which the FBI has evidence of money flowing from Torshin to the NRA, or of the NRA’s participation in the transfer of funds, could not be learned.

However, the NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections, including $30 million to support Trump – triple what the group devoted to backing Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. Most of that was money was spent by an arm of the NRA that is not required to disclose its donors.

How much of that non-disclosure is due to Citizens United?

Are we into conspiracy territory yet where the increasing globalization of money requires non disclosure of donations.

Like you’d think the mounting evidence that looser regulations on campaign donations on the basis of free speech leads to foreign influence would be enough to get at least someone talking about repeal.

Ya’know, unless it’s deliberate.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    The extent to which the FBI has evidence of money flowing from Torshin to the NRA, or of the NRA’s participation in the transfer of funds, could not be learned.

However, the NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections, including $30 million to support Trump – triple what the group devoted to backing Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. Most of that was money was spent by an arm of the NRA that is not required to disclose its donors.

Are we into conspiracy territory yet where the increasing globalization of money requires non disclosure of donations.

Like you’d think the mounting evidence that looser regulations on campaign donations on the basis of free speech leads to foreign influence would be enough to get at least someone talking about repeal.

That was rather the point I was aiming for, that stuff like Citizens United is enabling foreign nations easier paths to spending money on our elections.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That was rather the point I was aiming for, that stuff like Citizens United is enabling foreign nations easier paths to spending money on our elections.

To be fair, nondiscolsure stuff also allowed the Russians to probably spend money on Brexit.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    Fencingsax wrote: »

To be fair, nondiscolsure stuff also allowed the Russians to probably spend money on Brexit.

We will probably see where a lot of money went from them into liberal groups as well. They are known to fund everyone to stoke the flames and divide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump personally made the decision for Bannon to limit his testimony.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/18/trump-ordered-bannon-to-limit-testimony/
    President Donald Trump personally made the decision to curtail the testimony of former chief White House political strategist Steve Bannon before the House Intelligence Committee, according to two people with firsthand knowledge of the matter.

Trump acted to limit Bannon’s testimony based on legal advice provided by Uttam Dhillon, a deputy White House counsel, who concluded that the administration might have legitimate executive privilege claims to restrict testimony by Bannon and other current and former aides to the president, according to these same sources.

But Dhillon has also concluded that Bannon and other current and former Trump administration officials do not have legitimate claims to executive privilege when it comes to providing information or testimony to special counsel Robert Mueller, according to the sources. Mueller is investigating whether anyone associated with Trump colluded with Russia to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

[...]

While the president might be able to “poke the Congress in the eye,” the same legal rationale undercuts any effort to restrict the special counsel’s right to interview current or former Trump aides, the official said.

[...]
    That reads a lot like Dhillon was told to just come up with some reason they could say they thought they had a legitimate claim if courts point out there is no legitimate claim.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "He might invoke executive privilege" is not the same thing as it having actually been invoked. Goddamn it I wish these arguments were being made before a judge, because that shit would not fly at all.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Uttam Dhillon is the same person that made the decision to lie to the President about his power to fire the FBI Director without cause in order to "protect" Trumps Presidency from himself.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "He might invoke executive privilege" is not the same thing as it having actually been invoked. Goddamn it I wish these arguments were being made before a judge, because that shit would not fly at all.

Yeah, i'm willing to bet that the founding fathers didn't include quantum states clause in the constitution (unless they did; we won't know unless someone is able to track down the original and open the box it's in so as to confirm it's results).

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Is there a point where the Russian scandal reached too big to fail?

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You’d think with the guy apparently on the phone with the White House during the hearing, the question of Executive Privilege invocation could be settled on the fly.

“I don’t want to answer that cause I haven’t spoken to the president and don’t know if he wants to claim EP.
    Oh, just got a text from him, no he’s no invoking it”
    “Great. Answer the f*cking question then...”

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    a

How does this work, again? Is there really no ostensibly non-partisan master at arms whose duty it is to call bullshit the second it occurs and who should have put Sessions and Bannon in chains for contempt?

Or is it the all-too-familiar answer these days: there is one, but it's a Republican with vested interest in not enforcing the rules?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    a

How does this work, again? Is there really no ostensibly non-partisan master at arms whose duty it is to call bullshit the second it occurs and who should have put Sessions and Bannon in chains for contempt?

Or is it the all-too-familiar answer these days: there is one, but it's a Republican with vested interest in not enforcing the rules?

That would be whoever is running the inquiry, and that person is inevitably a republican who has a vested interest in not pressing the issue.

That having been said, I kinda hope that the next time a democrat is in office and an inquiry is held the person show's up in flip flops and a hawaiian shirt, flips both fingers at the republican who is trying to ask them a question and interrupting them before they can say more then two words with "Quantum executive privilege!"

Maybe put their feet up on the desk and read the sports section of the newspaper while they're at it.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump personally made the decision for Bannon to limit his testimony.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/18/trump-ordered-bannon-to-limit-testimony/
    President Donald Trump personally made the decision to curtail the testimony of former chief White House political strategist Steve Bannon before the House Intelligence Committee, according to two people with firsthand knowledge of the matter.

Trump acted to limit Bannon’s testimony based on legal advice provided by Uttam Dhillon, a deputy White House counsel, who concluded that the administration might have legitimate executive privilege claims to restrict testimony by Bannon and other current and former aides to the president, according to these same sources.

But Dhillon has also concluded that Bannon and other current and former Trump administration officials do not have legitimate claims to executive privilege when it comes to providing information or testimony to special counsel Robert Mueller, according to the sources. Mueller is investigating whether anyone associated with Trump colluded with Russia to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

[...]

While the president might be able to “poke the Congress in the eye,” the same legal rationale undercuts any effort to restrict the special counsel’s right to interview current or former Trump aides, the official said.

[...]
    That reads a lot like Dhillon was told to just come up with some reason they could say they thought they had a legitimate claim if courts point out there is no legitimate claim.

Shit like this is why I don’t take much stock in the arguement that the White House doesn’t leak any more, Kelly’s influence not withstanding. It’s basically every other day we get behind the scenes bullshit, often from Trump himself.

This administration is just too toxic to keep people from leaking for some kind of, perceived or otherwise, personal gain or retribution against other staffers.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dac wrote: »
    a

Yes. What should happen is that congress should immediately vote to hold the witness in contempt(probably whoever is on the phone with them as well) and refer the matter to local law enforcement for the various legal remedies allowed (which can include anything up to detaining the person until they answer).

The reason that this doesn’t happen should be obvious.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bannon could have been held in contempt because he was advised by his lawyer to not answer questions that may have gotten another of said lawyer’s clients in trouble...

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Bannon could have been held in contempt because he was advised by his lawyer to not answer questions that may have gotten another of said lawyer’s clients in trouble...

You'd think the lawyer would be disbarred for behavior like that.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Natasha Bertrand is a correspondent for Business Insider.

Man, in a just universe this would be the "definition of 'is'" moment of this whole thing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Facts? Things that are provably fucking true?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Pretty much the definition of "conflict of interest"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Apparently the NRA/Russia thing was something reporters had heard a lot about but nobody had enough to publish for a year.
    Like other reporters, I’ve been aware for almost a year of claims that Russia funneled tens of millions of dollars into the NRA’s 2016 efforts. Clarity: claims are not facts. I have seen no hard evidence of this. Today’s McClatchy story is the first to report that Mueller’s probe is investigating whether the NRA was used as a conduit for money to support Trump’s election effort.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Apparently the NRA/Russia thing was something reporters had heard a lot about but nobody had enough to publish for a year.
    Like other reporters, I’ve been aware for almost a year of claims that Russia funneled tens of millions of dollars into the NRA’s 2016 efforts. Clarity: claims are not facts. I have seen no hard evidence of this. Today’s McClatchy story is the first to report that Mueller’s probe is investigating whether the NRA was used as a conduit for money to support Trump’s election effort.

Not just Mueller. Fusion had info on this parallel to Steele's research, according to the House transcript that was released.
    MS. SPEIER: Okay. What is the interest of Russia with the National Rifle Association?

MR. SIMPSON: I think that most of what we have found is pretty much out there now. You know, it's been said by others, but, you know, what eventually - it appears the Russians, you know, infiltrated the NRA And there is more than one explanation for why. But I would say broadly speaking, it appears that the Russian operation was designed to infiltrate conservative organizations. And they targeted various conservative organizations, religious and otherwise, and they seem to have made a very concerted effort to get in with the NRA. And so there is a Russian banker-slash-Duma member-slash-Mafia leader named Alexander Torshin who is a life member of the NRA. And we spent a lot of time investigating Mr. Torshin.And he is well known to Spanish law enforcement for money laundering activity, and you have probably seen the press articles. And I think the Spanish files on him should be available to you.And he, as you know, was supposed to have a meeting with President Trump after the inauguration. And somebody noticed that there had been some stories about him that weren't pretty good .

So he is one of the more important figures, but, you know, another woman with whom he was working, Maria Butina, also was a big Trump fan in Russia, and then suddenly showed up here and started hanging around the Trump transition after the election and rented an apartment and enrolled herself at AU,which I assume gets you a visa.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The NRA being wrapped up in the will be an issue, as it makes the "deep state takeover" narrative easier to pedal.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The NRA being infiltrated by the Russians is so beyond hilarious that I don't even know how to comment on it. The fucking NRA?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You say that as if the NRA has the collective intellect to know when they're being played.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I mean, has anything happened with sessions' bald faced perjury during his sworn testimony to the Senate?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    NRA wasn't played by the russians, they got money to elect hard right politicians who gave money to the gun companies they support. That's not played at all, that's business as usual.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Also Russia's entire goal is to destabilize the U.S. More idiots with guns can only help to achieve this goal.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    NRA wasn't played by the russians, they got money to elect hard right politicians who gave money to the gun companies they support. That's not played at all, that's business as usual.

It’s a circular firing squad (pun intended). Russia gives money to far right groups, far right groups help elect far right candidates, far right candidates keep undermining our democracy, our undermined democracy empowers Russia, Russia gives money to far right groups...

The tragic irony is that these groups are undermine their own well being by doing this, but hey, racism, so it’s totes cool to secede economic and national power.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    So he is one of the more important figures, but, you know, another woman with whom he was working, Maria Butina, also was a big Trump fan in Russia, and then suddenly showed up here and started hanging around the Trump transition after the election and rented an apartment and enrolled herself at AU,which I assume gets you a visa.

I didn't recognize that name so I did a google search, first result from February 23 2017 https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-kremlin-and-gop-have-a-new-friendand-boy-does-she-love-guns
    Just a few years ago, Maria Butina owned a furniture store in Siberia. Now she’s wheeling and dealing with D.C. think-tankers, Republican strategists, and a Russian bank chief with alleged mob connections.

Depending on the audience, Butina has presented herself as a Russian central bank staffer, a leading gun rights advocate, a “representative of the Russian Federation,” a Washington, D.C., graduate student, a journalist, and a connection between Team Trump and Russia. She used each role to help her gain more high-level contacts in the nation’s capital.

It’s another chapter in what’s becoming a familiar story in Washington: Kremlin-connected operators building bridges to the GOP.

Two of Butina’s friendships in particular have raised eyebrows. She started a business with Paul Erickson, a decades-long Republican Party activist. And she served as a special assistant to the deputy governor of Russia’s central bank, Alexander Torshin, a former Russian senator belonging to Vladimir Putin’s political party with alleged ties to the Russian mob world.

On Nov. 12, 2016, shortly after the election of President Donald Trump, Butina held a birthday party at Cafe Deluxe near American University, where she attends graduate school classes.

As chilled vodka flowed through an ice sculpture—a bottle imprinted with the Soviet hammer and sickle—she took some time to brag. She brazenly claimed that she had been part of the Trump campaign’s communications with Russia, two individuals who were present said. On other occasions, in one of her graduate classes, she repeated this claim.

“She said so in my class. And she said so several times in the last semester,” Svetlana Savranskaya, Butina’s former American University professor and a staffer at the National Security Archive, told The Daily Beast. “She is a former journalist, so she keeps up her connections in Russia. And she also works and [claims to] keep connections with a member of the Russian Duma.”

Erickson and Butina have been seen in public frequently, at the invitation-only Freedom Ball after Trump’s inauguration; and holding court at Russia House, a Russian-themed bar in Washington, D.C.’s Dupont Circle. At one such gathering in the fall of 2016 Erickson bragged that he was advising the Trump transition team, according to two sources who were present

The two appear to have gotten close: Erickson formed a limited liability corporation with Butina in February 2016, according to the South Dakota secretary of state. It is unclear what this organization, Bridges, LLC, actually does. (Despite living in Washington, D.C., Butina has a cellphone number with a South Dakota area code.)

This all just screams "trap them with a good look woman" espionage bullshit.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    The NRA being infiltrated by the Russians is so beyond hilarious that I don't even know how to comment on it. The fucking NRA?

Why do you think they started going by their initials?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It’s a circular firing squad (pun intended). Russia gives money to far right groups, far right groups help elect far right candidates, far right candidates keep undermining our democracy, our undermined democracy empowers Russia, Russia gives money to far right groups...

The tragic irony is that these groups are undermine their own well being by doing this, but hey, racism, so it’s totes cool to secede economic and national power.

Far-right groups only care about personal enrichment, they don't actually care about the well-being of the country as a whole.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Far-right groups only care about personal enrichment, they don't actually care about the well-being of the country as a whole.

Personal enrichment, gaining political power and white supremacy. This entire affair has decisively shown they have no loyalty to the US as a nation-state beyond their own ability to control it.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Could the government shut down the NRA if it proved the organization was involved in illegal activities, or would it only be the people responsible who were punished?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Could the government shut down the NRA if it proved the organization was involved in illegal activities, or would it only be the people responsible who were punished?

I doubt one could easily shut down an organization that's been around as long and has as much lobbying clout as the NRA.

Unless, like, you successfully prosecuted essentially all of the high-level people at the organization and the remaining folks couldn't successfully figure out away to restructure/consolidate power in the vacuum left behind.

• Options
    It would depend on the crimes in question I think. If the NRA was proved to be guilty of violent crimes, especially at the behest or manipulation of a foreign entity, the organization could get smashed. But in this case since it's all finances, the only people who are going to get hung out to dry are the ones who were contacted about the funds, received the funds, processed the funds, and processed those funds out into the Trump donations.

As much as I'd like to see the NRA terrorist cult get shut down, this is as good as it'll get for now. Hopefully high-profile people in the organization have dirty hands on this.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

That seems even more unlikely than impeachment, and impeachment was never going to happen.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Personal enrichment, gaining political power and white supremacy. This entire affair has decisively shown they have no loyalty to the US as a nation-state beyond their own ability to control it.

So basically the leaders of the US South just before the Civil War. Old wine in new bottles.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

So basically the leaders of the US South just before the Civil War. Old wine in new bottles.

My wife and I were just fantasizing about Mueller running the modern equivalent of Sherman's March through the GOP and NRA.

It got a bit steamy.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The motivations of the far right are not the topic of this thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

I didn't recognize that name so I did a google search, first result from February 23 2017 https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-kremlin-and-gop-have-a-new-friendand-boy-does-she-love-guns
    Just a few years ago, Maria Butina owned a furniture store in Siberia. Now she’s wheeling and dealing with D.C. think-tankers, Republican strategists, and a Russian bank chief with alleged mob connections.

Depending on the audience, Butina has presented herself as a Russian central bank staffer, a leading gun rights advocate, a “representative of the Russian Federation,” a Washington, D.C., graduate student, a journalist, and a connection between Team Trump and Russia. She used each role to help her gain more high-level contacts in the nation’s capital.

It’s another chapter in what’s becoming a familiar story in Washington: Kremlin-connected operators building bridges to the GOP.

Two of Butina’s friendships in particular have raised eyebrows. She started a business with Paul Erickson, a decades-long Republican Party activist. And she served as a special assistant to the deputy governor of Russia’s central bank, Alexander Torshin, a former Russian senator belonging to Vladimir Putin’s political party with alleged ties to the Russian mob world.

On Nov. 12, 2016, shortly after the election of President Donald Trump, Butina held a birthday party at Cafe Deluxe near American University, where she attends graduate school classes.

As chilled vodka flowed through an ice sculpture—a bottle imprinted with the Soviet hammer and sickle—she took some time to brag. She brazenly claimed that she had been part of the Trump campaign’s communications with Russia, two individuals who were present said. On other occasions, in one of her graduate classes, she repeated this claim.

“She said so in my class. And she said so several times in the last semester,” Svetlana Savranskaya, Butina’s former American University professor and a staffer at the National Security Archive, told The Daily Beast. “She is a former journalist, so she keeps up her connections in Russia. And she also works and [claims to] keep connections with a member of the Russian Duma.”

Erickson and Butina have been seen in public frequently, at the invitation-only Freedom Ball after Trump’s inauguration; and holding court at Russia House, a Russian-themed bar in Washington, D.C.’s Dupont Circle. At one such gathering in the fall of 2016 Erickson bragged that he was advising the Trump transition team, according to two sources who were present

The two appear to have gotten close: Erickson formed a limited liability corporation with Butina in February 2016, according to the South Dakota secretary of state. It is unclear what this organization, Bridges, LLC, actually does. (Despite living in Washington, D.C., Butina has a cellphone number with a South Dakota area code.)

This all just screams "trap them with a good look woman" espionage bullshit.

It's called a honeytrap.

This discussion has been closed.