As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kawase Hasui [chat]

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    MonHun get.

Probably get to play sometime in a few days.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Man its weird that Fortnite got so big, that game was destined for ignored steam sales and disappointing presents.

It turns out early access PVE with building gameplay for 40 dollars was not that interesting but a free to play non awkward battle royale game with a nice aesthetic and building elements is interesting.

I did not even know Paragon was still around.

• Options
    I thought fortnite was a game where you build forts to fight off zombies in the nite.

Did they just totally shamelessly pivot to copy PUBG

Yes.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I thought fortnite was a game where you build forts to fight off zombies in the nite.

Yup. Fortnite Battle Royale is a free to play standalone thing you can play without having to pay for Fortnite: PvE edition.

Fortnite's BR is pretty much a giant ripoff of pubg but is also pretty fun since you can build. You shoot a guy and suddenly the guy is enclosed in 4 walls and is building a staircase into the sky to snipe you from. Changes things around quite a bit in the one round I played.

Fortnite PvE edition is a mediocre defense game that was in early access but launched on consoles for 60 bucks, while still in early access. Isn't it still in early access?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Yes. That is literally what they did.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The sentence "only humans ______" is almost never true

• Options
    Fortnite is PuBG but you can inexplicably break and build walls Minecraft-like.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    the funny thing about fortnite's shameless pivot to PUBG ripoff is that their ripoff is better than the original

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm at a fashion exhibit and there'd a red Adidas tracksuit

Calling all tumblrs

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »

Only humans deal in absolutes

• Options
    like hands down superior game

Arch,
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    only humans deal in absolutes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

I don't think it is that shameless. Yes, it is obviously heavily copying PUBG, but it isn't a PUBG-clone in the same way as some of the other battle royale ganes are. It does have its own stuff going on.

• Options
    the funny thing about fortnite's shameless pivot to PUBG ripoff is that their ripoff is better than the original

I mean I wouldn't go that far. It's a different experience. Pubg is better in many ways. But you also can't build stuff. (Fortnite's shooting sucks)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

It's a shooter on a console. That's an instant -50 points.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

and also it is
    • fun
    • more colorful
    • you can actually see things like weapons and enemies
    • despite having a more complex system with building and shit it somehow has more intuitive controls
    • gets better updates
    • literally the better game

Arch,
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I don't argue that it's a ripoff but the building things part seems like..a pretty fuckin big difference when you get down to brass tacks. Like LoL last hitting vs HotS no last hitting

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Omg there's flannel too

Rachel Amber-sama...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Only humans are accelerating global warning

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

What about cows?

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    cow farts though.

• Options
    ONLY HUMANS CAN SAVE THE PLANET

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I don't think it is that shameless. Yes, it is obviously heavily copying PUBG, but it isn't a PUBG-clone in the same way as some of the other battle royale ganes are. It does have its own stuff going on.

It uses a similarly shaped island, you parachute down from a flying bus instead of an airplane, there's a blue circle that closes on you over time, even the logo is similar. It's very obviously cribbing directly from pubg, though pubg was very clearly also cribbing from stuff like Dayz or king of the kill or whatever. Like, it's super totally a shameless ripoff. But everyone else has been doing that too so because it's at least unique in presentation, it can fly. Though there was potential talk of legal stuff happening but that's unlikely. Companies just rattled swords at each other a little.

Also apparently no one cares that Battle Royale is an actual movie franchise and just uses the name everywhere.

Even that Paladins game is adding a battle royale mode.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The building things element sounds like it would ruin the spare, deadly desperation of PUBG

But I have played neither

• Options

What about cows?

That's our fault

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Animals get framed for so much shit

All I'm saying is those poor dingos

maybe that baby had it coming

• Options

and also it is
    • fun
    • more colorful
    • despite having a more complex system with building and shit it somehow has more intuitive controls
    • gets better updates

Fortnite's controls are poop from a butt
    You can...definitely see weapons and enemies in pubg?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    When Fortnite came out, I remember everyone saying that it was being totally overshadowed by something, was that PUBG?

That style of game has zero draw to me (Pretty much any MOBA or similar is not my bag), so I can't quite remember the specifics, but if Fortnite was overshadowed by something, and now is doing gangbusters, that actually is cool. I'd rather games be given a chance to succeed instead of being abandoned if it doesn't hit immediate wide success.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

It's a shooter on a console. That's an instant -50 points.

i can argue that the fortnite console experience is amazingly better than the pubg console experience without getting into a pc vs console argument

Arch,
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It uses a similarly shaped island, you parachute down from a flying bus instead of an airplane, there's a blue circle that closes on you over time, even the logo is similar. It's very obviously cribbing directly from pubg, though pubg was very clearly also cribbing from stuff like Dayz or king of the kill or whatever. Like, it's super totally a shameless ripoff. But everyone else has been doing that too so because it's at least unique in presentation, it can fly. Though there was potential talk of legal stuff happening but that's unlikely. Companies just rattled swords at each other a little.

Also apparently no one cares that Battle Royale is an actual movie franchise and just uses the name everywhere.

Even that Paladins game is adding a battle royale mode.

PlayerUnknown had a hand in both of those.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Animals don't have wars is funny because technically we're animals. We just wear clothes and give ourselves nifty scientific labels to pretend otherwise.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

What about cows?
    Exactly

*farts*

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

and also it is
    • fun
    • more colorful
    • gets better updates

Fortnite's controls are poop from a butt
    You can...definitely see weapons and enemies in pubg?

in pubg you have to stare at the ground and hope to like maybe make out a weapon or no is that just trash its not even something you can pick up

but in fortnite the weapons literally glow so you can see them

the amount of time spent in a house looting it for weapons in fortnite is exponentially shorter than the time spent doing the same in a house in pubg

also when someone shoots you in fortnite you can see where the bullets are coming from

in pubg you just die

cartoony violence is always better than trying to be realistic violence

Arch,
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh shit, new best of the worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dxYbL-t5c

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    They are only saving the planet for themselves, though. If they destroyed the planet, short of deliberate planet-busting technology, it would only make it inhabitable for life as we know it. The planet would still be around as a burning hellscape.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

It was an awful loot box riddled cartoon survival game.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    even the skydiving and parachute mechanics are easier to control in fortnite

like yeah its a ripoff but i'm adamant about the fact that they made a better game

Arch,
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    They are only saving the planet for themselves, though. If they destroyed the planet, short of deliberate planet-busting technology, it would only make it inhabitable for life as we know it. The planet would still be around as a burning hellscape.

*SAVE THE PLANET SUCH THAT IT WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT LIFE AS WE KNOW IT

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I've played Fortnite because it came out on Xbox first, and don't have much interest in playing its gray, ARMA-looking cousin.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Everything about Fortnite that makes it a better PUBG is just stuff it happened to having laying around from its awful pve

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.