Options

the only award a [movie] should care about winning is a teen choice award

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One morning later:

Yep, Annihilation was still a fucked up scary movie, and pretty good sci-fi to boot

Oh thank goodness

I thought the book series was neat and the film looked like it was way more like "A large monster is hunting people!" from the trailer, which would have been a disappointingly unimaginative film.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So the thing to remember is you take the stories that Paramount was extremely nervous about this movie, having no idea what to do with it, and then you combine it with the very plain-looking trailers, and what you get is them trying extremely hard to hide how weird and niche a movie is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So the thing to remember is you take the stories that Paramount was extremely nervous about this movie, having no idea what to do with it, and then you combine it with the very plain-looking trailers, and what you get is them trying extremely hard to hide how weird and niche a movie is

Is this akin to marketing mother! as a film about a couple dealing with awkward dinner guests?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    One morning later:

Yep, Annihilation was still a fucked up scary movie, and pretty good sci-fi to boot

Oh thank goodness

I thought the book series was neat and the film looked like it was way more like "A large monster is hunting people!" from the trailer, which would have been a disappointingly unimaginative film.

Yep that's definitely not what the film is about.

Tense, unnerving cosmic horror with a slice of personal suffering. Natalie Portman absolutely nails her role, along with the rest of the cast. Weird lingering shots and an uncanny echoing soundtrack that had me on the verge of a breakdown the entire time I was watching it.

Really really really good experience, highly recommend.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's nuts to me that movies are expected generally to gross like 500 million dollars or they're massive embarrassing flops. Like, Jesus. I mean yeah, the big blockbusters can make a billion, but still. I guess rising budgets are mostly to blame for that though. And growing audiences.

• Options
    It's nuts to me that movies are expected generally to gross like 500 million dollars or they're massive embarrassing flops. Like, Jesus. I mean yeah, the big blockbusters can make a billion, but still. I guess rising budgets are mostly to blame for that though. And growing audiences.

It's not always the case. Honestly, lots of movies can work better for the studios (depending on the situation) if they "flop" and lose money.

Taxes are a weird, fucked up thing.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yaaay

I also recommend reading the book! It's a really quick read and I feel like it probably covers different perspectives than the film.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I wanna click on these Annihilation spoilers SO BADLY

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I wanna click on these Annihilation spoilers SO BADLY

Just go watch the dang movie! Then click!

• Options
    Yeah, Mute is at best okay

There's some interesting ideas in there but they are vastly outweighed by the ones that are just "remember those now-classic cyberpunk noir tropes? well here they are, again"

The biggest weight here is you're clearly supposed to be rooting for Alexander Skarsgard as your hero but his character did nothing for me, it's extremely difficult to make a silent protagonist the center of your very narrative-based movie and they don't make it work here, the narrative itself isn't particularly compelling either

I would put it about even with The Cloverfield Paradox in terms of "a movie to cherrypick the good stuff out of," thought I like Mute more than I did that, it's not by much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Blegh. I’m going to LA and I’m going to punch whoever is in our movie signing team.

They just can’t sign anything good that also has far reach. At best they can get to “meh” or something too niche that no one watches.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    The Promising Netflix Movies of 2018 That Ended Up Disappointing, Ranked

3. The Cloverfield Paradox
    2. Mute
    1. A Futile and Stupid Gesture, somehow

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    One of the tragedy girls is negasonic teenage warhead

It legitimately took me over half an hour to realize that.

I watched the entire thing and I only realised when I looked her up just now. To be fair I guess Negasonic Teenage Warhead has no hair and two lines.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Darkman fucking owns

Edit: I also really love the Alex Baldwin version of The Shadow but i only watched it like twice when I w as but a wee child

God, the Shadow is so good.

And I have to buy it again but digitally on Amazon Prime as my roommates left the dvd out and someone spilled jelly on it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

It's not always the case. Honestly, lots of movies can work better for the studios (depending on the situation) if they "flop" and lose money.

Taxes are a weird, fucked up thing.

The one time YouTube fails me is in finding a scene from The Producers.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Darkman fucking owns

Edit: I also really love the Alex Baldwin version of The Shadow but i only watched it like twice when I w as but a wee child

And I have to buy it again but digitally on Amazon Prime as my roommates left the dvd out and someone spilled jelly on it.

Poor Peter Boyle

Gotta be alec Baldwin's slave

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »
    One of the tragedy girls is negasonic teenage warhead

The other one played Alliyah in the movie about Alliyah!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Darkman fucking owns

Poor Peter Boyle

He owed Baldwin a life-debt!

• Options
    Which 1930s pulp revival in the 90s would win in a fight, Alec Baldwin Shadow or Billy Zane Phantom

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Darkman fucking owns

Poor Peter Boyle

He owed Baldwin a life-debt!

Not worth it man

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    One morning later:

Yepppppp.

I kinda want to watch it again but I'm not sure if I can handle it. Maybe I'll just read the book.

I actually didn't know it was a book! But it makes sense, there's certain sequences where you look at it and go "if this were a book they would spend a lot more time talking about the specific elements that contribute to the sense of this scene"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    billy zane, easily

he is too pretty to hit in the face, and that would be baldwin's undoing

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Which 1930s pulp revival in the 90s would win in a fight, Alec Baldwin Shadow or Billy Zane Phantom

It would be Alec Baldwin's the Shadow for a variety of reasons.

#1. He actually has super powers.

#2. He is an insane person.

• Options
    No way does Billy Zane step into the ring against this.

CJGX0g-WsAAC8YC.jpg

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    2049 was really really good and I feel like I'm seeing it slowly slide into being remembered as a bad movie & a mistake and it annoys me

Ridley Scott and Rutger Hauer talking shit about it doesn't help much

Both of them were right tho

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have zero interest in what Ridley Scott thinks about anything at this point. 2049 kicked ass.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    billy zane, easily

he is too pretty to hit in the face, and that would be baldwin's undoing

Hold up. Billy Zane is a very pretty man, but he has one of the most punchable faces in Hollywood.

Alec Baldwin would have no problem punching that face.

• Options
    Alec Baldwin will punch anyone, who ya got, Baldwin'll punch it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

It’s budgets, yeah.

Like, with the blade runner example from earlier. 2049 had a production budget of 150 million and grossed 250 million. Which sounds good and all until you realize the production budget does not include marketing or distribution, and that some portion of that 250 is going to the theaters.

Suddenly 250 million doesn’t sound as great anymore.

Studios keep swinging for the fences trying to make everything into a megafranchise or a billion dollar hit, but sometimes it might be good to scale back a bit. We need the return of the mid budget movie.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i refuse to live in a world where anyone would hit billy zane in the face

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    People tell me that I look like Billy Zane and also they frequently want to punch me in the face so

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    People tell me that I look like Billy Zane and also they frequently want to punch me in the face so

have you considered this is perhaps not a problem with the face part

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

well yeah I think you unfortunately have to bear the brunt of it because they know they would want to--but never be able to bring themselves to--clock Zane prime

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The most punchable face in Hollywood belongs to Matt Dillon

• Options

Not bad, but I'mma raise you Jake Gyllenhaal.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    jake gyllenhall's not punchable at all! he seems swell and benign enough

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Jared Leto begs to differ.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Jake Gyllenhaal has a doofy doofus face, I'd totally punch him

• Options
    Look, Jared Leto is infinitely punchable but that has a lot to do with the fact he's an asshole.

I don't get that from his face alone.

If I saw Matt Dillon my first thought would be, "I need to punch that face."

• Options
    Look, Jared Leto is infinitely punchable but that has a lot to do with the fact he's an asshole.

I don't get that from his face alone.

If I saw Matt Dillon my first thought would be, "I need to punch that face."

I tend to agree. We're talking punchability of faces alone. Leto's punchability comes from his carefully crafted douchenozzle persona more so than from his face. He's got a nice face. It's a good face.

This discussion has been closed.