As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Question to the experts....if two units, one in each opposing army, has At the beginning of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, the unit emerges from its hiding place - set it up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9 inches away from any enemy models. , which one gets placed first?

Additionally, the Alpha Legion Alpha Legion - Forward Operatives (1CP): Use this stratagem when you set up an ALPHA LEGION INFANTRY unit. You can set up the unit in concealment instead of placing it on the battlefield. Is that usable only once during set up?

Regarding the stratagem, unless and until errata cahange it you can use it as many times as you can afford. Just bear in mind that in a Matched Play (points) game you must deploy at least half of your units on the battlefield regardless of natural abilities or stratagems that would allow them to deploy elsewhere.

Regarding the other thing, the official FAQ says “roll off” for it.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Got in a real quick 1250 match yesterday (due in part to being super late after my wife got her car stuck in a ditch) at the local shop. The same buddy that I beat last time with my Death Guard, only he fielded his Grey Knights this time around.

Me:
    Lord of contagion
    Malignant Plaguecaster
    Foul Blightcaller
    Noxious Blightbringer
    Big wad of poxwalkers x2
    Plague Marine Squad
    Foetid Bloat Drones x 3

Him as far as I remember:
    Librarian HQ
    Terminator squads x 2
    knight with lots of shooty stuff
    Dreadnought with lots of shooty stuff

Search and destroy deployment and 6 objectives scattered on the map.

We only had time for three turns before we had to call it (his wife requested an ikea trip), but I took the game by one victory point after deep striking my LoC into his deployment zone on my last turn in a super cheeseball manouver.

His ability to deep strike most of his army really made things tough. I think given 5 turns he'd have tabled me. My bloat drones didn't stand up to his grey knights near as well as they had with his ultramarines, but my poxwalkers absolutely bogged down his knight.. like, just wading through corpses and tied up the entire match after he took the bait. Turn 1 (him first) was basically just him deep striking stuff into the quarter of the map on my half of the table and adjacent to my deployment quarter. My drones scattered, two moving towards his one termy squad and the last moving in to tie up his other squad/hq. As slow as my DG move and as far away as he deployed his dread, the dread didn't really have an opportunity to do much. Turn two was more of my drones eating hits, one dying, followed by me wading pox's into his knight and some general shooting from two drones and my plague marine squad that almost killed his one termy squad. Last turn was a bit of mop up and left his knight still stuck in with a fairly sizeable mob of pox's. My blightcaller/bringer moved into melee with his hq/termy squad just to keep them away from the rest of my army for another turn. I drew an objective to score a point for being in his deployment zone on turn two, so turn three was (per above) dropping my LoC off into his zone all by himself to steal a point.

It ended up 2-1, with him scoring a point for killing one of my characters and me leading for the cheesey LoC point and for rolling a butt-ton of Disgustingly resilient rolls with my pox's.

I can really see the draw of a small elite army. It looked a lot easier to field than my 40 pox's having to shuffle around the board.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »
    I fell off the 40k wagon a while back because life got crazy and I was thinking of getting back on.

I want to be realistic with myself. I know the rate I work at is slow. I need a small, elite style army.

Apparently these are bad in 8th? Like how bad? I don’t care about being tournament competitive but I want to be able to have games that are fun for me and my opponent. Getting totally rolled is fun for no one.

Good news, Custodes are both small and elite. While also being pretty decent, and easy to paint.
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Custodes are the best elite army but even they get run with like a hundred guardsmen to be competitive.

Like, that’s the crux of my question. I won’t win tournaments, sure, and i’m fine with that.

Will I be getting tabled turn 1 though?

No, you'll be fine.

Right, I still play my Grey Knights and while you can feel the math being against you as long as your opponent isn't being ridiculous you'll still have a game out of it.

Like, I want to be honest and tell you that it's absolutely a possibility that you spend your entire game struggling to move upfield, killing an endless wall of chaff, while long range guns shoot you every turn, only able to deepstrike into your own deployment zone because the entire rest of the board is covered by spread out enemies.

But if you can trust your opponent to bring normal units you'll be fine.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Custodes bikers have excellent anti-horde weapons, and you can split one of their units into as many separate units as you want, so they at least addressed two big weaknesses in the small elite army.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I got to play my 1k points of dark angels at a friends house. I built it for a doubles tournament so it doesn't fill every hole. But, It was a little gross how tough it is
    Azrael
    Librarian
    Scouts x 5 (Boltguns, Heavy Bolter)
    Scouts x 5 (Boltguns, Heavy Bolter)
    Intercessors x 7
    Darkshroud
    Hellblasters x 10

The hellblasters did everything obviously. Depending on the target I would sometimes just use the +1 plasma damage stratagem without overcharging because it would kill them in the same number of shots but keep the unit safe. I haven't played with most of these models since Dark Imperium but I might have to get them all painted up now

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Units winning games does tend to help motivate painting them up, yeah.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Heck, I tied a game against a Black Legion army that had Abaddon in it, and i was motivated to paint.

Also, to buy Lysander. Now I wanna beat face with him.

I never liked using special characters, but I am putting together the 3rd company of IF, so it makes sense that I would use him.

Besides, everyone else seems to use them and this isn't 3rd edition anymore, where special characters were looked down upon due to 2nd edition abuse.

Any suggestions on how to use him in a game?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    *shrug*

Lysander's a beater that gives rerolls and extra Leadership. Either keep him in the parking lot or put him in a Raider with his homies. Nothing too complex there.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'm finding the most challenging thing about this game is trying to not buy stuff to start other armies...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Pretty much everyone I know who plays bought more than they could finish for at least the first year

• Options
    The worst thing you can do is buy 40k lots on eBay for bits. I got a bunch of grots and spider bits with another model I wanted, and was the barest mouseclick away from spending a hundred bucks on more models for this rad spider-themed tribal Grot army I envisioned for AoS before common sense kicked in.

• Options
    I'm really surprised Games Workshop doesn't run a bits store. I like Inquisition stuff so I've kitbashed a ton of things (that right now are almost entirely shelved for the moment, lol) and you're right it's addictive to grab little things from a million different sources.

• Options
    They used to! You could order all sorts of individual stuff back in the metal era. I guess keeping a dedicated bits department got too costly, what with having more individual miniatures than the population of some countries.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    The worst thing you can do is buy 40k lots on eBay for bits. I got a bunch of grots and spider bits with another model I wanted, and was the barest mouseclick away from spending a hundred bucks on more models for this rad spider-themed tribal Grot army I envisioned for AoS before common sense kicked in.

Like I said in the Warhammer/Aos thread
    I got the DoK start collecting box for one reason {it was cheaper that buying a set of witch elves :rotate:}
    I wanted a certain helm off the Sisters of Slaughter the only person I found selling it wanted $12 for it and did not have it in stock
    So my problem is I got it for a unique look for my succubus for my DE Wych army
    The helm doesn't have a neck easy? to fix either chop off the head I don't want to use and fill in the gap with green stuff or build one?
    The bigger problem is I want hair flowing from the helm as she does that run the model is
    But I just cannot get what I want again I could fake it with green stuff but I am quite out of practice with sculpting and most of the hairs I find don't quit fill in what I want?

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Story time..

Played our 3vs3 1500 point game. Alpha Legion (1 Chaos Lord with jump pack, two reinforced tactical marine squads with two heavy bolters each), Death Guard (3 PBCs, two entropy cannon fit, one plaguespitter fit, one Daemon Prince), and Thousand Sons (Ahriman, Sorceerer, two 5 man Rubric squads and 1 10 man cultist) VS Dark Eldar (Archon, Venom, some Kabalites, two squads of Mandrakes deep striking, some other elites, unsure what), Craftworld Alaitoc (Farseer Skyrunner, Farseer, Warlock, 5 Wraithguard, one Wave Serpent), and an Ork player with like 50+ Orkboys, a few Nobs, and two warbosses.

I know, it's kind of crazy, but our story was both Eldar factions tricked the Orks into attacking us and they were trying to stop us from finding a webway portal. Whatever, people wanted to play, the Alpha Legion guy and the Ork guy were brand new, so we did it.

Anyways....highlights and lows. Chaos set up their army in a diamond with the Death Guard in the front, the PBC with plaguespitters out from and the DP in between all three to give rerolls. Thousand Sons were pretty much all in the center of the diamond with their thin cultist screen in the back to complete the diamond. The Alpha Legion had two overstrength tactical marine squads, so one of their squads was in the diamond and the other off to the side a bit in cover.

Due to their army composition, two of my PBC's with entropy cannons did poor damage throughout the fight because Eldar are just so hard to hit. I was lobbing mortar shots at the Ork Boyz every chance I could (and rolling pathetically low on the number of shots), but was able to whittle them down slowly. The PBC with the Plaguespitters did work, though, roasting the first group of Orks (the smallest, admittedly) to get to him alive and rolling extremely well.

One of the highlights was the Thousand Sons, though. 24 inch range psykers is preeeeeeeeeeeeetty good. We landed a max range Doombolt onto the largest squad of Ork Boyz (which was fantastic) and went about trying to snipe enemy Eldar character scum. The Farseer Skyrunner got dropped to two wounds fairly quickly. We rolled poorly for the turn 2 and 3 psychic phases, but still, they were pretty fearsome. Keeping the largest Ork Boyz squad basically frozen for an entire turn was probably incredibly useful, as well, as it forced them to separate.

Desperately, they tried to charge the Wave Serpent into the PBC with plaguespitters later on to save the last group of Ork Boyz from getting roasted in the charge (mortars / bolters whittled down group two), but the Plaguespitters decided at that point to roll 11 auto hits and then 8 wounds. It got the Boyz in safely, but the damage to the Wave Serpent was extreme. Additionally, the DP was close enough at this point that when the Ork Boyz wrapped around, he intervened and began shredding...which allowed the PBC to fall back in our turn.

The Wraithguard did good damage once out of the Wave Serpent, doing extreme damage to one of the tanks, but they just never got it going dice roll wise and eventually their DPS was such that they couldn't catch up. Thus, the concede.

24 inch range on some of the psykers abilities is so huge.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I like the look of the Primaris Marines, but I also like the look (if not necessarily the lore) of the Dark Angels, and it seems that a lot of what makes them unique are their faction specific units. I don’t really want to mix the two though. I might go for one of the successor chapters and make it full Primaris regardless of its competitive potential. The local GW store is having an event for their store anniversary with prizes awarded to painting and playing a new unit + HQ, and I was thinking of the Primaris reivers. What would be an HQ choice to pair with them?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I like the look of the Primaris Marines, but I also like the look (if not necessarily the lore) of the Dark Angels, and it seems that a lot of what makes them unique are their faction specific units. I don’t really want to mix the two though. I might go for one of the successor chapters and make it full Primaris regardless of its competitive potential. The local GW store is having an event for their store anniversary with prizes awarded to painting and playing a new unit + HQ, and I was thinking of the Primaris reivers. What would be an HQ choice to pair with them?

Something that deepstrikes so a jump captain or a termi captain. Edit-A jump chaplain/termi chaplain would go really well since reivers are kind of close combatish.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    It doesn't look like those are options for the Primaris HQ units. Also, I just looked on the GW website and I don't see models for Primaris Lieutenants (other than the DA specific named one) or Masters or Masters in Gravis armor. Am I missing something or are those models not available yet?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It doesn't look like those are options for the Primaris HQ units. Also, I just looked on the GW website and I don't see models for Primaris Lieutenants (other than the DA specific named one) or Masters or Masters in Gravis armor. Am I missing something or are those models not available yet?

Two Primaris Lieutenants come in the Dark Imperium box set and nowhere else because GW gonna still GW sometimes. If you aren't interested in getting or splitting the box I am sure some enterprising people on ebay are selling them as separate sprues.

On my own 40k front I've resolved a plan of action:

-Finish my last two weeks of teaching college courses (Yay! The extra pay on top of my regular job is nice but I want freetime).
    -Build a pure Custodes 2k force
    -Keep a time log and hobby at least one hour everyday
    -Try to spend each Saturday, from open to close at my local GW store (they are like, a 2 minute walk from my house)
    -Only buy a new kit when a current kit is completely finished being painted and is ready for tabletop (should keep me focused and disciplined).
    -Once the 2k army is finished, and I have something playable, and I'm actually getting games of 40k in, then I can start seeing where the weaknesses in the army is and shore them up accordingly (lack of bodies, no psychic defense, lack of command points, etc). But at least I'll actually have a god danged army that I can play god danged games of god danged 40k with.

Looking at the Custodes the Jetbikes, Terminators, and the Wardens seem dope. Not entirely sure how to make a coherent force out of that yet but. Those models are just too cool.

• Options

Oh are you going only Primaris? It will limit you a bit on choices.

So thoughts depending on it:

For DA hellblasters are basically gold. The DA stratagem that increases plasma damage by 1 is great. You get rapid fire 1 30" str 7 d2 weapons or rapid fire 1 30" str 8 d3 weapons which are great.

Reivers are kind of meh as far as a unit. Inceptors are better for drops and can take plasma as well!

As far as HQs you will have none that can drop your units as a dark angel. Now if you play raven guard you can have your primaris captains/lieutenants can infiltrate.

I think Primaris supporting actual DA units are the best though. Hellblasters with normal DA leaders in the back end. Black Knights moving up and burning heretics with plasma in the front.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Have two of these coming. Even if I never use them, they look great and I'm just going to look at them.
    These are the two with magnetized arms.
    g1d19gmm0d0q.jpg
    tgx5a57lefo7.jpg

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Been reading some of the potential leaks over the T'au codex. I'm honestly not very impressed.

Will probably end up selling the T'au if the leaks are true.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Been reading some of the potential leaks over the T'au codex. I'm honestly not very impressed.

Will probably end up selling the T'au if the leaks are true.

Like what are the leaks? as from what I can tell the codexs are now fun interesting and balanced!
    Who knew it was possible?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    No changes to the markerlight table, most of the army remains BS4+, nerf to gun drones, emphasis on having a lot of the bigger suits (Riptides will, if you loved them last edition, probably be back once again) and I'm not impressed with the initial leaked Sept traits etc. Just doesn't look like they will be an army worth bothering with, when you set up to be utterly smited off the table by round 3 and have no ability to hit the broad side of a barn.

I just really hope that these leaks aren't true. I'm not bothering to stick with a BS4+ army that can't shoot and is screwed the moment someone deploys one of the numerous -1 to hit at range armies.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anything less than a full rework of the markerlight system will be disappointing to me

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    New Box Set with the new Knights Armigers and a new Cryptek.

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/03/05/forgebane-coming-soongw-homepage-post-1/

The Armigers look Primaris Dreadnought sized, maybe even a bit smaller?

But According to the article they're Lord of Wars. They seem to be the best way to fill out imperial superheavy detachments to get some additional CP as I can't imagine them costing a lot of points.

• Options
    You get two lords of war in that box. That is kind of nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dunno if I want an entire box just for a surfing Cryptek when that beetle is just wargear. Can just say he has it on the normal Crypteks. And I don't play Admech....

But the Knights are cool?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Given GW's past track record you will be able to buy just the surfing Cryptek on it's own if you're willing to wait a bit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    and I just bought another box of Skitarii too.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Given GW's past track record you will be able to buy just the surfing Cryptek on it's own if you're willing to wait a bit.

Agreed, but I think it's more about if that scarab is just wargear, the guys I play with don't mind proxy wargearing if you have the overall model (i.e., the cryptek). Makes it so the urgency isn't there, if that makes sense.

But those mini-Knights....

• Options
    God dang it as a giant mech fan those armigers throw a hell of a wrench in my army plans.

Two of those and a knight does sound very dope.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Rules as Written versus Rules as Intended question due to my allies Thousand Sons absolutely shredding with their +6 inch range....

So, there’s a Chaos Dark Hereticus psychic power called Gift of Chaos. It’s warp charge 6, base 6” range, and you target a specific model, not unit. If it goes off, you roll a single die. If you get over the targets toughness, you roll D3 PLUS 3 mortal wounds in damage and if it kills the target and you have reinforcement points to allow it, you get a Chaos Spawn.

Eldar / Imperial Guardsmen, etc., have 3 toughness….

We didn’t have the reinforcement points for the Chaos spawn model for our game on Saturday, so I ignored it….but the +6 inch range on our Thousand Sons detachment means I should’ve given this power to one or two of our guys. Half range smite, but double damage, and directable? And helping us snipe characters? Sure.

Here's where the additional question comes in.

RULES AS WRITTEN: The ability says you target an individual model, but Mortal Wounds spill over, so if you target a model in a unit and it has one wound, theoretically the mortal wounds should spill into the entire unit.

RULES AS INTENDED: I don’t believe the above should be how it works given the seeming intent and that you target a single model. The range if not Thousand Son is pretty damned short, though, so it never came up before (here at least) since the range was pathetic and we don't even own a Chaos Spawn model to throw out if it kills. Now, though? Rules as Written, it’s a half-range directable smite that can do double smite damage and decimate 5 man squads. I would think it's not supposed to work that way?

Even if I'm wrong or it's already been FAQ'd, it’s yet another tool to snipe enemy characters and due to the power of the Thousand Son legion traits, we can wave this thing around at 12 inches. Great for the aspiring sorcerers with the Rubrics or the terminators given the low warp charge.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I think the idea with it is to snipe out weapon specialists, and then have the wounds spill over, and also to blast characters. Against T4 units, it only goes off 1/3rd of the time, so it's really not that reliable, which makes up for it's damage output.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Used against a unit, I don't think you would be able to snipe out weapon specialists because the owner distributes the mortal wounds casualties.

• Options
    Used against a unit, I don't think you would be able to snipe out weapon specialists because the owner distributes the mortal wounds casualties.

Yep, that's why I don't think it's intended to be used that way. I mean, maybe I'm wrong? And if used against T4 targets, yeah, only a 1/3 success rate. I am probably colored by the fact that I face a lot of Eldar, normally, so bringing it against T3 targets seems like a good idea to me.

It just doesn't seem like it's intended to wipe out multiple models, but given the above interpretation, it could be used for that against low toughness squads.

• Options

In this case it gets a bit complicated because it targets a model not a unit. It is very much written for a character and it snipes low toughness characters (eldar, guard, and such) really well. I agree this gets messy though when targeting units.

Exact wording btw:

Gift of Chaos has a warp charge of 6. If manifested, select a visible enemy model within 6" of the psyker and roll a D6. If the results is greater than the target's toughness it suffers d3+3 mortal wounds. If a character is slain by this power you can add a spawn blah blah blah.

No FAQ so far btw. But since it specifically states targeting a model you can snipe a single model out of a unit. Technically from there the wounds would overflow per mortal wound rules making it a nasty way to clear a small elite squad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Do we have any idea of the point cost for the mini knights?

• Options
    Do we have any idea of the point cost for the mini knights?

Apparently the sum of the Necron forces in that box is 500 points, and the other AdMech stuff sums to 200ish, so assuming that AdMech is also intended to equal 500 (makes sense!) and there are 2 mini-knights, everyone is expecting them to be about 150 points each.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »

In this case it gets a bit complicated because it targets a model not a unit. It is very much written for a character and it snipes low toughness characters (eldar, guard, and such) really well. I agree this gets messy though when targeting units.

Exact wording btw:

Gift of Chaos has a warp charge of 6. If manifested, select a visible enemy model within 6" of the psyker and roll a D6. If the results is greater than the target's toughness it suffers d3+3 mortal wounds. If a character is slain by this power you can add a spawn blah blah blah.

No FAQ so far btw. But since it specifically states targeting a model you can snipe a single model out of a unit. Technically from there the wounds would overflow per mortal wound rules making it a nasty way to clear a small elite squad.

Many powers specify targeting a model, although I admit usually for wonky targeting reasons (Vortex of Doom, Blood Lance, Fury of the Ancients, Gaze of the Emperor, etc.) honestly I think the only mistake in this power is a minor imprecise editing snafu. Vortex of Doom, e.g., tells you to target the nearest model and then specifies that that model's unit suffers. Many other powers tell you to target a unit and then it suffers. The author here probably thought he had written "unit" instead of "model".

With regards to the balance of it, I don't know, seems in line with the Blood Angels' Blood Boil:
    Blood Boil has a warp charge value of 6. If
    manifested, select a visible enemy unit within
    6" of the psyker and roll 2D6. If the total
    exceeds the highest Toughness characteristic
    in the target unit, the unit suffers D3 mortal
    wounds; if the total rolled is more than double
    that of the highest Toughness characteristic,
    the unit suffers 3 mortal wounds instead.

Lower average of mortal wounds and no spawn shenanigans for better reliability, same range and warp charge value.

Lanlaorn on
This discussion has been closed.