As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May your names be enscribeled forever [SBFP]

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What Pat is saying is that if you choose to leave solo play and join multiplayer sessions but also don't even try to have a gear set that makes any kind of sense then you are actively screwing over the other players.

He's saying that you don't have to obsess over being optimal, but if you're playing with others then you should at least care about being functional and viable. He's saying don't join someone else's hunt wearing gear that gives you a ton of ranged skills with a melee weapon, or with tons of weakness to an element the monster uses, and shit like that. He's saying that "I don't care I just want to look how I want" is selfish and irresponsible if you are engaging in non-solo play.

This problem would be solved if the game had a proper transmog system, but it doesn't.

Didn't he also say that the game not having a glamour system means you can see at a glance if someone's wearing bad armour?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That's the post by Pat I put in here, yeah

And I would still let him lose every SOS call he ever makes if it would let the more minmax'd sets look cooler

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Lance can K.O. Rathian in particular pretty well, because it's dragging its face against the ground like eighty percent of the time.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Well if the whole game is based around killing monsters for their parts and skins and stuff...having the look tied to the monster is kinda important for the theming.

Woolie's free to dress however he wants, but if his equipment is holding him back he can't really complain about anything. Including people pointing that out and trying to highlight how easy it would be to improve his equipment and therefore make the gameplay/balance better.

Like he said on one Podcast, he's playing it like an action game with some RPG elements. Which isn't going to hold up as he gets further in. My problem was I wanted it to be an RPG with some action, and it didn't work out for me either.

Sounds like to me MH is a pretty crappy game.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Nah it's pretty fantastic

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It's okay to not like Monster Hunter. I'm saying as a person who played a ton of Tri when it came out.

• Options
    Monster Hunter is immoral.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    What Pat is saying is that if you choose to leave solo play and join multiplayer sessions but also don't even try to have a gear set that makes any kind of sense then you are actively screwing over the other players.

He's saying that you don't have to obsess over being optimal, but if you're playing with others then you should at least care about being functional and viable. He's saying don't join someone else's hunt wearing gear that gives you a ton of ranged skills with a melee weapon, or with tons of weakness to an element the monster uses, and shit like that. He's saying that "I don't care I just want to look how I want" is selfish and irresponsible if you are engaging in non-solo play.

This problem would be solved if the game had a proper transmog system, but it doesn't.

Didn't he also say that the game not having a glamour system means you can see at a glance if someone's wearing bad armour?

Yes.

Which is true.

He also said it was shitty.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter has fully embraced its janky combat to make a particular kind of game, but it would still be trash without all the crafting and weapon modification carrots dangling in front of players to encourage just one more run. Nobody played Diablo 2 for the combat system either.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Well if the whole game is based around killing monsters for their parts and skins and stuff...having the look tied to the monster is kinda important for the theming.

Woolie's free to dress however he wants, but if his equipment is holding him back he can't really complain about anything. Including people pointing that out and trying to highlight how easy it would be to improve his equipment and therefore make the gameplay/balance better.

Like he said on one Podcast, he's playing it like an action game with some RPG elements. Which isn't going to hold up as he gets further in. My problem was I wanted it to be an RPG with some action, and it didn't work out for me either.

Sounds like to me MH is a pretty crappy game.
    Arent you the one who made a big huff about dark souls being harder in the Monster Hunter thread

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there's no ethical hunting of monsters under capitalism

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Paige doesn't have a soul, on account of being ginger. Pat does have a soul, but he took it off a dead body.

I wonder if that's why his penis makes the Transformers-noise when it unrolls onto the floor.

PLA on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    Monster Hunter has fully embraced its janky combat to make a particular kind of game, but it would still be trash without all the crafting and weapon modification carrots dangling in front of players to encourage just one more run. Nobody played Diablo 2 for the combat system either.

I...

Kinda like fighting the monsters?

It's the grind of the upgrade system that comes close to turning me off, not the fights.

Enlong on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Yeah the combat is absolutely the draw in monster Hunter for me, it feels fantastic

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I come for the combat system in diablo 2 as well
    the loot system grind in D2 is just what kept me interested in playing it beyond finishing the story once, without the fun fundamental systems the loot grind is built on top of it would fall apart

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I want to like MH a lot. But the combat never got to the point where I felt 'strong' while fighting. Or in control. I was always just hitting the thing for ten minutes, getting smashed and drinking potions constantly, and then it suddenly dies.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I never really feel "strong" in any video game, I think that might be an aspect of how my brain works. I always subconsciously cast things in terms of others being weak or strong rather than me being weak or strong.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    The current limited bounty includes fighting a bunch of great jagrases and I gotta say, feeling real strong suddenly

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »

Man what? The combat is absolutely a big part of the draw.

Especially now that it can be played with a good controller.

• Options
    I never really feel "strong" in any video game, I think that might be an aspect of how my brain works. I always subconsciously cast things in terms of others being weak or strong rather than me being weak or strong.

Well in an MMO you see numbers go up and your spells or attacks get flashier. Your weapons get shinier, bigger, more ridiculous looking. Even in ones with level scaling, if you go back to an old area/dungeon you will absolutely destroy everything. Dark Souls is similar, where you settle into your build and have all your options available. Or an action game like Bayonetta, by the end you've unlocked all your attacks and weapons/items to equip. A second playthrough feels completely different.

In Monster Hunter I used the exact same model of weapon for 40+ hours. It theoretically did more damage as the game went on, due to some equipment changes. But since you couldn't see those numbers and enemies got steadily tougher, it felt like I was staying relatively weak the entire game. I just hit the enemy over and over and never felt like I was getting any better in the game or outside, playing it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Well in an MMO you see numbers go up and your spells or attacks get flashier. Your weapons get shinier, bigger, more ridiculous looking. Even in ones with level scaling, if you go back to an old area/dungeon you will absolutely destroy everything. Dark Souls is similar, where you settle into your build and have all your options available. Or an action game like Bayonetta, by the end you've unlocked all your attacks and weapons/items to equip. A second playthrough feels completely different.

In Monster Hunter I used the exact same model of weapon for 40+ hours. It theoretically did more damage as the game went on, due to some equipment changes. But since you couldn't see those numbers and enemies got steadily tougher, it felt like I was staying relatively weak the entire game. I just hit the enemy over and over and never felt like I was getting any better in the game or outside, playing it.

yeah I know what you mean, I was just noticing that I see that glass half empty instead of half full, the low level enemies just feel weak rather than feeling like I'm stronger. I feel like I'm the same. It's just a quirk of individual psychology I thought was interesting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Monster Hunter World added damage numbers. And a training room where you can see how much damage each weapon does in a vacuum.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Funnily enough your numbers actually don't increase that much as you go and upgrade weapons, because monster defense also increases. You only notice how much bigger your numbers are on average if you go back and beat up older monsters with lower defense.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that's something that always bugs me, when the scaling/balance is too well done. So that my +10 damage upgrade unlocks right when everything gets +10 defense. Or sometimes +1000 HP, so it still requires 100 attacks to kill.

I really just want PSO again. Kinda like all my problems with Fire Emblem are because I just want more Shining Force.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That's actually my biggest problem with MMOs, or at least FFXIV. Gear progression is meaningless; 9 times out of 10, the stats of the enemies you're facing are either going to be on par with the equipment yo have, or (in the case of doing old content) you stats will be capped to be on par with the enemy. Upward progression of stats are absolutely meaningless because the content will always match it, so all it boils down to is the specific mechanics and rotation of the fight in question. All gear really is is a way for the next fight to be gated off to extend subscription times; you might as well just have each dungeon/boss fight drop keys that unlock the next fight if you collect enough.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Funnily enough your numbers actually don't increase that much as you go and upgrade weapons, because monster defense also increases. You only notice how much bigger your numbers are on average if you go back and beat up older monsters with lower defense.

I'd argue that this is not true, but mine might not be a typical use case I guess

I have seen some big numbers that would have made my eyes water at the start of High Rank. Monster defenses do increase but I find that with proper skill synergy and weapon focus your offense can go up much faster, and enemy health is basically static from the moment you hit High Rank anyway

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    i figured that it could be assumed based on the people talking that we were not referring to Proper Skill Synergy And Weapon Focus :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Pink Rathian to Tempered Kushala Daora is a lot of time to get good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The loot is why I bounce off Diablo.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Every Monster Hunter fight

Swing
    Swing
    swing
    Swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    run after monster
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    sharpen
    swing
    run after monster
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    swing
    carve
    carve
    carve

end fight

/s

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Man i’ve only seen video and knew I would dislike the game and I still know your being needlessly reductive

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i would play a monhun game if it was solely just the monster fights

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Man i’ve only seen video and knew I would dislike the game and I still know your being needlessly reductive

it's what he does

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i would play a monhun game if it was solely just the monster fights

World, apparently, is pretty close to being just monster fights compared to what the games used to be.

I rather like the non-fighty bits though. There's something very soothing about going "You know what? For the next twenty minutes I'm going to go around and dig in the dirt and pick flowers"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Thats describing every character action game ever

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Again, folks can like just non-stop action, and people can like just prep work and stat min-maxing, and people can like both! Or neither!

• Options
    World lets you play pretty much how you want to, I find, which is pretty nice. Sometimes you need to go over to the farm guy and put down some fertilizer but for the most part you can just be as fight-happy as you please

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I played a fair amount...that's a pretty good description, really. Just because some people like to complicate it or make things look flashier doesn't mean you can't wind up with most fights going exactly as described there.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I don't know what people see in super mario bros., it's just
    hold right
    jump
    jump
    jump
    jump
    jump
    jump
    jump