Options

[Trump Immigration Policy] DACA renewals continue due to injunction, SCOTUS denies appeal

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Congrats to me on my promotion

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Congrats to me on my promotion

I feel like your promotion negotiations should have included chair talks.

*edit I did not realize what thread I was in...*

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    Harry are you calling Mexican-Americans (and others who support the issues they hold onto strongly) a "fringe" branch of voters?

I’m not suggesting all Mexican American voters are doing this, they’re a subgroup From the Far Left who hate the Dems as much as the Republicans. Its not just Mexican Americans who have an identical opinion with you on this topic. It’s disingenuous to suggest that people with your opinion on this matter are the only ones who Care about this issue or who want to save the Dreamers .
    What the heck is "political reality" and why is it being regarded as some absolute?

The fact is the GOP control congress and the presidency, which is a big reason why this is occurring in the first place. Or do you disagree with this analysis?

Another fact is that it’s impossible to negotiate with the current GOP. Even holding the country hostage via budget failed to budge the opposition with the Dreamers.

Do you have alternative solutions to save the Dreamers which will guarantee a win? I’m all ears if you do, seriously.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    We're not bemoaning the lack of results, we're bemoaning the lack of any kind of moral stand or outrage on the part of Democratic leadership.

The "far left" scapegoating is super dumb. Just complain abot people who don't toe the party line.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    What the heck is "political reality" and why is it being regarded as some absolute?

49 Dem senators no House majority and a hostile President. It's regarded as absolute because until November that isn't changing.
    Okay so "political reality" means "actually passing legislation."

So people should only vote on something if they're in the position to win it?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    We're not bemoaning the lack of results, we're bemoaning the lack of any kind of moral stand or outrage on the part of Democratic leadership.

The "far left" scapegoating is super dumb. Just complain abot people who don't toe the party line.

Sure you are, even when the have made great risks for the Dreamers like holding the budget hostage did absolutely nothing to gain any credit from you. Moral standing which will change nothing in getting results, and won’t guarantee any loyalty in the long run. Which they’ve done in the past, getting nothing in return from these voters.

As far as I can tell it’s only been the Far Left screwing the Dems on this, because it’s not like the Dems haven’t tried giving them what they want. And yes, being loyal to the party is important for solving issues like this, it’s a big reason why the DACAs are in jeopardy since the Dems don’t gave the political might to stop this at the moment. Voting has consquences, this is one of them. No amount of yelling is going to change that fact.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Sure you are, even when the have made great risks for the Dreamers like holding the budget hostage did absolutely nothing to gain any credit from you. Moral standing which will change nothing in getting results, and won’t guarantee any loyalty in the long run. Which they’ve done in the past, getting nothing in return from these voters.

As far as I can tell it’s only been the Far Left screwing the Dems on this, because it’s not like the Dems haven’t tried giving them what they want. And yes, being loyal to the party is important for solving issues like this, it’s a big reason why the DACAs are in jeopardy since the Dems don’t gave the political might to stop this at the moment. Voting has consquences, this is one of them. No amount of yelling is going to change that fact.

They actually had my enthusiastic support on the issue until they gave up the shutdown almost immediately in exchange for what we all knew was nothing.

But if you don't understand why moral standing is relevant to getting results in politics then of course you're going to need a scapegoat. Why a party should expect loyalty when it cuts and runs from even a rhetorical fight they're on the popular side of with the faintest excuse is beyond me.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

49 Dem senators no House majority and a hostile President. It's regarded as absolute because until November that isn't changing.

It’s arguable, and arguable on a vote by vote basis, whether or not taking a symbolic vote is good or bad politically.

More importantly, we know that the party, the actual voters, are split on whether threatening a shutdown to even force a symbolic vote is a good idea. That seems like a losing proposition for Dems in Congress to me.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

It’s arguable, and arguable on a vote by vote basis, whether or not taking a symbolic vote is good or bad politically.

More importantly, we know that the party, the actual voters, are split on whether threatening a shutdown to even force a symbolic vote is a good idea. That seems like a losing proposition for Dems in Congress to me.
    If this is the actual Democratic Party code of operations they sicken me and I'm not sure I should be supporting them until they change for the better. Screwing people over because of some mystical nonsense political "game" rules is something we all need to put into the past.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    "Aggressively support DACA" isn't even the "Far Left" position ffs. It's basic liberalism and should be a prerequisite for any party funding but here we are with leadership who is happy it's off their plate

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The problem I guess is that somehow, some way, the Democrats are responsible for the fact that the Republicans would rather burn the country down than protect DACA or the Dreamers.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The problem I guess is that somehow, some way, the Democrats are responsible for the fact that the Republicans would rather burn the country down than protect DACA or the Dreamers.

Not in the least bit. They're responsible for their poor rhetoric, how that rhetoric is rarely backed up by action when they are capable of it, and how that has played a direct part in losing power so badly.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    blaming the democrats because the pubs are fuck awful just seems counter productive.

I get disliking the fact they won't straight nuke the country over the issue, and hell, maybe they should just burn the whole thing down, but that seems like it would fuck way more people, and start a really dark time for most of the world.

They took a stand, and the pubs promptly reminded them who's actually in charge right now. They can either burn it all or play ball till they get control back, and can actually get shit done. They ain't never gunna get anything done if everyone keeps fuckin abandoning them and just letting the fuck awful folks run everything. That's not going to fix anyone's problems either.

I get frustration, but if you just throw up your hands and also don't vote for them then the pubs gonna keep on winning and eventually they are just going to take all these folks one way or another.

Sorry theres nothing better as a choice.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It's not about responsibility in that sense. Republicans are responsible for screwing over immigrants. It should be a slam-dunk. Even if Democrats mount a losing fight on this issue, they at least people know "we have it on paper that we're trying to do the right thing, all we need is more seats in the country." And people would be motivated to give them those seats.

But since the Democrats are willing to say "oh well" to immigrants in such a blase way, they're essentially complicit with the Republicans' actions. They don't care. And when people see their elected officials not caring they say "oh, well fuck voting and the government." And then everyone gets all surprised about why elections go the way they do.

You can't just win on a message of "Look how much those other guys want to fuck things up!" Because things are already fucked up. We want to hear how the already-broken things will get fixed too. Otherwise you maintain a system of oppression, wealth-disparity, and ultimately white supremacy.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    "We won't fight for you unless we know we are going to win" is not strong messaging

And the fact is once the Republicans start deportations, voting Democrat will not save anyone because they're already gone. Democrats have to fight if they want people to believe that voting for them makes a difference

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I mean imagine hearing, "The immigration system is dated and broken, it needs to be modernized and people need protection," and your first response being, "Man, the fringe left." That doing right by people is considered an outlandish idea.

Republicans suck on immigration because they want to regress it even further. But the Democrats suck too because they're fine with things remaining as they are.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    "We won't fight for you unless we know we are going to win" is not strong messaging

And the fact is once the Republicans start deportations, voting Democrat will not save anyone because they're already gone. Democrats have to fight if they want people to believe that voting for them makes a difference

Seriously, wtf are they supposed to do now instead? What power do they actually have to leverage here?

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Seriously, wtf are they supposed to do now instead? What power do they actually have to leverage here?

Block everything they can, hold up Congress with endless speeches. Hold rallies in front of Congress. File endless demands for information from ICE and relevant organizations. Threaten legal proceedings for ICE abuses. Get in front of every mic and camera and talk show they can. Lay down in front of a fucking bus.

I mean really.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, the last time the Dems had a big win, the voters decided "eh", stayed home and Republicans drew the maps. So I can kind of understand why they don't want to fight after they've lost once on the exact same issue with the exact same congress

• Options

Block everything they can, hold up Congress with endless speeches. Hold rallies in front of Congress. File endless demands for information from ICE and relevant organizations. Threaten legal proceedings for ICE abuses. Get in front of every mic and camera and talk show they can. Lay down in front of a fucking bus.

I mean really.
    Join the protests that form, speak out more, start campaigning on this issue.

Anyone arguing about this in the vacuum of "right now with this Congressional makeup" is doing so in an effort to make the Democrats the powerless victims as opposed to the immigrants in danger of being deported.

• Options
    If we want some actual leftist politics, there's no reason for Dems to not run on "abolish ICE"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    blaming the democrats because the pubs are fuck awful just seems counter productive.

I get disliking the fact they won't straight nuke the country over the issue, and hell, maybe they should just burn the whole thing down, but that seems like it would fuck way more people, and start a really dark time for most of the world.

They took a stand, and the pubs promptly reminded them who's actually in charge right now. They can either burn it all or play ball till they get control back, and can actually get shit done.

They took a stand for all of a weekend

This issue has been known since September. It had a deadline in March. The Democrats just kicked thd can until they got lucky with a court order. Why would anyone looking at the actions taken believe that DACA is a legislative ir even moral priority for the Democratic party?

Why would you vote for people who won't stand up for you?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be very clear, I agree eith you guys. I just understand why they aren't doing it

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    To be very clear, I agree eith you guys. I just understand why they aren't doing it

They're not doing it because being upper class is moral poison.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know how else to phrase it.

We know the Democrats can't pass legislation by vote right now. That's not the point. The point is them proving they care about an issue by voting anyway. It doesn't have to come to the government shutdown and such. Republicans are the obvious villain. Democrats aren't the hero just because they aren't Republicans. If they take no position, they aren't heroes.

I'm starting to wonder if the Democrats are worried that a vote on the matter would expose some of their members as voting in line with the Republicans. It's been happening a shocking amount this congress and turning people off.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    This is purely how I think the Democrats think about politics, not an endorsement of the view, because at some point you have to deliver for all of your constituents:

1) Hispanics in general, and Mexican-Americans in particular are poorly distributed to affect electoral outcomes. They swing elections to Democrats for sure in exactly two states: Nevada and New Mexico. Possibly Virginia. Definitely if they ever hope to win Arizona and Texas. But at the moment, it's not a great distribution for the places you need to win the presidency and where we think of as being competitive House/Senate races.
    2) On the other hand, racist white people who will vote for Democrats if they are not primed to ever think about race are fantastically distributed to win elections. There are a ton of them in populous swing states, especially in the upper Midwest. :(

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I want to win in November, and burning down the system in March is not the way to do that.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

The same they've had since September - shut down the government

Prove that those 800 thousand lives are worth the discomfort

Force the Republicans to be the ones to either nuke the filibuster or bargain in good faith

Don't just sit on your hands because the choices are hard

As you said: "Sorry theres nothing better as a choice"

If voters have to grin and bear it, our politicians should do the same

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2018

They took a stand, and the pubs promptly reminded them who's actually in charge right now. They can either burn it all or play ball till they get control back, and can actually get shit done.

They took a stand for all of a weekend

This issue has been known since September. It had a deadline in March. The Democrats just kicked thd can until they got lucky with a court order. Why would anyone looking at the actions taken believe that DACA is a legislative ir even moral priority for the Democratic party?

Why would you vote for people who won't stand up for you?

Because the other guy wants to outright kill me and i understand the actual political landscape in the country.

Like I said sorry there aren't better options.

Like I'm of the mood they should just fuckin burn it down, but I also understand my sentiments are extreme

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I want to win in November, and burning down the system in March is not the way to do that.

"Burning down the system" doesn't strike me as a particularly accurate assessment of the argument, but I don't see how aggressively supporting dreamers is a liability with the Dem base. Certainly not how it's more of a liability than their current choices.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

We know the Democrats can't pass legislation by vote right now. That's not the point. The point is them proving they care about an issue by voting anyway. It doesn't have to come to the government shutdown and such. Republicans are the obvious villain. Democrats aren't the hero just because they aren't Republicans. If they take no position, they aren't heroes.

I'm starting to wonder if the Democrats are worried that a vote on the matter would expose some of their members as voting in line with the Republicans. It's been happening a shocking amount this congress and turning people off.

How do they get another vote without threatening a shutdown?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Re last paragraph: there were votes on several proposals already. (Including Trump's turbo racist idea). That should provide enough leverage I'd think?

What kicked this discussion off was them not tying a vote or passage here to the budget. I.e. to a shutdown. So I'm slightly confused as to what the problem is if it doesn't have to cone to a shutdown, because that's all they've given up.

• Options

Well then 800k people burn while you wait for November

I understand how you can arrive at that conclusion, but I personally won't support that stance

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

I understand how you can arrive at that conclusion, but I personally won't support that stance

Only if the court case goes the wrong way before that point, which is by no means certain

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If this is the actual Democratic Party code of operations they sicken me and I'm not sure I should be supporting them until they change for the better. Screwing people over because of some mystical nonsense political "game" rules is something we all need to put into the past.

How are they screwing people over?

The votes happened dude. Despite all the yelling about the strategy and the mistakes they did or did not make depending on how you felt, the votes went to the floor.

And they failed. The Democrats don't have the votes for it because of the November 2016 elections. And that's basically it.

They can't screw anyone over here, they don't have the power.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

No one's going anywhere for the moment. And more importantly there has to be a way to fix it now. The President is a racist who wants massive cuts to legal immigration for anything to happen. At best.

So what do you expect the Dems could do to stop it right now?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The votes happened dude. Despite all the yelling about the strategy and the mistakes they did or did not make depending on how you felt, the votes went to the floor.

And they failed. The Democrats don't have the votes for it because of the November 2016 elections. And that's basically it.

Politics is more than the vote count on the floor. Especially when you're the minority.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

No one's going anywhere for the moment. And more importantly there has to be a way to fix it now. The President is a racist who wants massive cuts to legal immigration for anything to happen. At best.

So what do you expect the Dems could do to stop it right now?

Refuse to sign off on the budget

Campaign about how the Republicans could've had their cake with reconciliation, but they wasted it on tax cuts for the rich, so they don't get to whine about working with Democrats

Campaign about saving 800k lives

Get out there and stand their ground and don't blink this time

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    shryke wrote: »

Politics is more than the vote count on the floor. Especially when you're the minority.

Sure but if your complaint is that they need to message better that isn't "screwing people over".

Political messaging is about more then just vote counts. Actual policy is not. The only people actual effecting anyone here are Republicans. Democrats got their votes and they failed and that's literally it for what they can actually accomplish here related to people getting screwed over.

Like, I'm not sure you can emphasize this enough: the vote happened. That's what Democrats can force with enough leverage: a vote. They did. And the votes failed. They can yell and scream and take hostages and all that shit but all they can get for all that is another vote. And there is no reason to think the vote won't just fail again.

shryke on
  • Options
    We talk a lot about complicity among the Republicans and their allies, so why not apply it to Democrats when they declare they aren't fighting an issue anymore?

This discussion has been closed.