As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    If someone claims to have a triple Liberal or triple Fascist draw, they are immediately under a lot suspicion. It can happen, but it is more likely that they are lying.

If someone claims to have drawn 3 Liberals, they are likely a Fascist setting up cover for future Fascist policies being played. "Oh darn! If only we hadn't discarded 2 Liberals earlier in the game, I wouldn't have drawn 3 Fascists and have to play this Fascist. Damn you probability!" *shakes fist at sky while discarding a Liberal*

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Through the ages is out on steam now if anyone was waiting for that

Edit: if you grab it be sure to hmu for some games :)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    We tried The Order Of Vampire Hunters last night. Ok game, nothing like Zombicide, slower and more strategic with a time limit. 6 out of 10, maybe up to 7 once we try a non-tutorial mission. It's interesting that the team is almost always split in two from the get go and, unlike Zombicide, the vampires all get placed as you go but are asleep and then halfway through the game they all get up and try to eat you.

Next week will be The Rise of Moloch. Last week was The Walking Dead No Sanctuary. It's dudes on a map month apparently.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I found the podcast’s Facebook group and sent them a message and long story short I should be playing shadespire with strangers who I have heard talk for several hours this Friday.

The internet is cool and weird.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I found the podcast’s Facebook group and sent them a message and long story short I should be playing shadespire with strangers who I have heard talk for several hours this Friday.

The internet is cool and weird.

Time to Inq being made into a skin lamp - THREE DAYS

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    It's dudes on a map month apparently.

Heck yeah, it is! I ended up buying a copy of BattleLore Second Edition with the Heralds of Dreadfall expansion pack instead of Memoir '44. I'm going to introduce that to the table this week. The hype is real. It's a shame FFG seems to have dropped support for it, and the other expansions are either hard to find or very pricey.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Yes! Battlelore is awesome! I use one of the skeletons for the necromancers skeleton in descent

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a suggestion for a bag to carry board games? It seems my reusable grocery bags aren't big enough for a lot of them.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Anyone have a suggestion for a bag to carry board games? It seems my reusable grocery bags aren't big enough for a lot of them.

I use one of those gigantic IKEA bags for anything that won't go in a standard reusable shopping bag

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I use one of those gigantic IKEA bags for anything that won't go in a standard reusable shopping bag

Great idea AND I'll be at IKEA next week. Thanks!

• Options
        nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular

If you live in the Midwest where there are Meijer stores, they sell beach bags during the summer. They have a wire around the top making a sturdy rectangle, and the opening is wide enough for a standard Ticket to Ride sized box. It means I can haul my games around and keep them horizontal so nothing spills. It's wonderful.

• Options
        AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
        Played 2 rounds of Dixit last night at the pub, won twice. Most obscure reference (no one got it). Picture of 2 people with mirrors for faces with the hint Blind Guardian.

I know the band and I still missed it.

• Options
        nwrabe wrote: »

If you live in the Midwest where there are Meijer stores, they sell beach bags during the summer. They have a wire around the top making a sturdy rectangle, and the opening is wide enough for a standard Ticket to Ride sized box. It means I can haul my games around and keep them horizontal so nothing spills. It's wonderful.

I'm in Ohio, but closest Meijer is about same distance to IKEA so if IKEA falls through I'll check there. Thanks.

• Options
          ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
          edited March 2018
          Anyone want to print and play CIA training board games? :D
          https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/cias-in-house-board-games-can-now-be-yours-thanks-to-an-foia-request/
          Last year, the CIA used a South By Southwest festival event to reveal one of its weirdest training exercises: a series of globe-trotting, espionage-filled board games. If you're wondering why we're circling back to this news almost exactly one year later, we have four letters for you: FOIA.

A series of Freedom of Information Act requests, filed last June by Southern California tech entrepreneur Doug Palmer, finally bore fruit last week. The CIA has now released rules, art, and design documents for the two board games we played at last year's SXSW.

I feel like some indie board game manufacturer could jump in and try and license these from the CIA and make them available.

edit: Apparently, Volko Ruhnke, who made Labyrinth: War on Terror and the COIN games, is the designer for the El Chapo game. So I guess they actually hire people to make these, not just do it in-house.

ArcSyn on
          4dm3dwuxq302.png
        • Options
          FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
          ArcSyn wrote: »
          Anyone want to print and play CIA training board games? :D
          https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/cias-in-house-board-games-can-now-be-yours-thanks-to-an-foia-request/
          Last year, the CIA used a South By Southwest festival event to reveal one of its weirdest training exercises: a series of globe-trotting, espionage-filled board games. If you're wondering why we're circling back to this news almost exactly one year later, we have four letters for you: FOIA.

A series of Freedom of Information Act requests, filed last June by Southern California tech entrepreneur Doug Palmer, finally bore fruit last week. The CIA has now released rules, art, and design documents for the two board games we played at last year's SXSW.

I feel like some indie board game manufacturer could jump in and try and license these from the CIA and make them available.

edit: Apparently, Volko Ruhnke, who made Labyrinth: War on Terror and the COIN games, is the designer for the El Chapo game. So I guess they actually hire people to make these, not just do it in-house.

Yes, there are several wargame/boardgame designers who have created games for the Dept. of Defense and various intelligence agencies.

• Options
          Volko ruhnke is a cia analyst also, if memory serves.

• Options
          MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Has anyone backed, or even heard of, Heroes Welcome on KS? It looks like worker placement and point salad mash-up game. Not sure if I want to get it yet, anyone else have thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
        • Options
          MNC Dover wrote: »
          Has anyone backed, or even heard of, Heroes Welcome on KS? It looks like worker placement and point salad mash-up game. Not sure if I want to get it yet, anyone else have thoughts?

It looks ok but Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Pets are right over there

• Options
          SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I got the cargo bag from the broken token and I'm really happy with it. It has enough size to carry about 8 standard square games, has a zipper/snap cover, and a shoulder strap. It's pretty cheap in comparison to any board game specific bag I could find, and the games fit basically perfectly.

sig.gif
        • Options
          FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
        • Options
          I use a storage crate from Target that costs like $3.

• Options
          edited March 2018
          i use my gol' dang arms

get swole nerds

Magic Pink on
        • Options
        • Options
          no i was just filming and jerkin' it

• Options
          BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
          Magic Pink wrote: »
          i use my gol' dang arms

get swole nerds

Don't lie, every one of you board games is structurally integral to the jenga tower you call a house. Thats why they are all still in the shrink wrap.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
        • Options
          BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
          I should use bags when I take my boardgames places but it never seems to occur to me. I just pile them in the boot of the car and carry them in a teetering pile to and fro. What an idiot.

• Options
          ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
          Yeah, I just use a duffel bag my wife found. I sometimes use a canvas bag that's a similar size, but open at the top. Utility tote on Amazon, and about 12"x30" ish?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        • Options
          AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
          I use friends to carry boardgames to me, does that count?

• Options
          DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
          I always ask if I need to bring a game and follow up with " how about X? "..
          X is usually my latest purchase.
          Or I just show up and be like, hey I brought X.
          I don't bring more games than 1, because they will expect me to teach the rules.

steam_sig.png
        • Options
          edited March 2018
          i just say "fuckers we're playing this" and if i detect sass i make with the slapdown

i head a bloody regime

Magic Pink on
        • Options
          Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
          Well I caved and finally bought pandemic legacy 1

Now to play one game of it in six months time

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
        • Options
          ZomroZomro Registered User regular
          edited March 2018
          If I'm going somewhere to play board games and I'm asked to bring something, but nothing is requested, I try to bring a couple smaller and/or lighter boxes.

Which generally means I'm bringing Tokaido, which works for me as it's one of my favorite board games. It's such an easy game to carry around.

Zomro on
        • Options
          SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
          Having a bag with a cover is good for when you have to leave and it's starting to rain and you don't want to look like a dope trying to carry your leaning tower of games in your bare hands while also trying to unlock your car trunk.

sig.gif
        • Options
          MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
          edited March 2018
          Am I the only one who skips straight to the halfway point of every Dice Tower review? I appreciate the explanation of their impression and takeaway, but man alive Tom Vassal might be the worst rules/mechanics explainer I've ever seen. He never fully explains any concept and just ADD bounces all over the place. The most common type of bad rules explainers are the ones who go over every little niche detail of one topic before moving on rather than broad concepts first. Tom skips the broad concepts and the fine details. I'll watch a review of a game I've already played and walk away with less an understanding about the rules than before; the explanation is so bad it actually saps existing rules knowledge out of my brain.

It's like the anti-SU&SD

MrBody on
        • Options
          DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
          edited March 2018
        • Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          MrBody wrote: »
          Am I the only one who skips straight to the halfway point of every Dice Tower review? I appreciate the explanation of their impression and takeaway, but man alive Tom Vassal might be the worst rules/mechanics explainer I've ever seen. He never fully explains any concept and just ADD bounces all over the place. The most common type of bad rules explainers are the ones who go over every little niche detail of one topic before moving on rather than broad concepts first. Tom skips the broad concepts and the fine details. I'll watch a review of a game I've already played and walk away with less an understanding about the rules than before; the explanation is so bad it actually saps existing rules knowledge out of my brain.

It's like the anti-SU&SD

I just don’t watch videos by Tom Vassal full stop.

• Options
          Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
          edited March 2018
          MrBody wrote: »

It's like the anti-SU&SD

I do that too. I will watch an entire Zee Garcia review though.

I also only watch Rahdo's final thoughts. It isn't that I don't like Rahdo, but when he takes both players turns he gets confused, messes up the rules, and then edits them into close captioning later. I understand he does it so he doesn't have to do a lot of editing, but I am better off reading the rules myself.

I definitely couldn't do a better job than any of these folks though.

Dirk2112 on
          NNID = Zepp914
        • Options
          ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
          I don't honestly understand how Zee fits in with that group. He always seems to be in a different head-space and is far more tolerable.
          But in general the dice tower is best avoided once you're past the baby steps into the hobby, unless you find that you share a lot of their viewpoints (or beliefs).

• Options
          edited March 2018
          I think Tom vasel is good at giving a quick overview of how a game plays and generally having an opinion about it that makes sense, and also having generally consistent tastes so you can apply his preferences to whether or not you might enjoy a given game based on his take. Obviously he puts out so many reviews that any individual one might be better or worse in these regards. But I think him and zee are the best video content producers around as far as covering a lot of stuff, being to the point and me gleaning enough information to see if I want to look into a game further. Sam and a lot of the other contributors not so much, but eh.

Edit: I agree they're basically the anti susd, but that's because dice tower videos are generally useful and informative ;)

Ah_Pook on
        • Options
          Ah_Pook wrote: »
          Edit: I agree they're basically the anti susd, but that's because dice tower videos are generally useful and informative ;)

Actually they get major rules and themes wrong all the time and it colors their reviews. They're easily the worst "reviewers" out there if it wasn't for UndeadViking and that's even before we get into their shitty attitudes.

This discussion has been closed.