Options

The [Job] thread, when and how to break dance while in an interview

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Not only do they have the equity, but on the good years the business that profit all goes into their bank account. And on the bad years they're still probably making several times more than minimum wage.

And then they all motherfucking whine when the state says they have to pay an extra $1 an hour which is $40 a week.

You see the chain pizza place that had just expanded out near us from a bit further west that suddenly closed all their shops out here? "Market Conditions" which translated into "We don't want to have 30 or more locations for, uh, not minimum wage reasons."

Was that Marks?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Thank you @bowtiedseal ! I’ll definitely check Askamanager out.

An accountant friend of mine linked me to a site offering remote work so I’ll definitely look at that, too.

I’ll keep applying. Will try and keep my head up.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Denied an interview I know I meet qualifications for so clearly it's time to stop being nice and see how much flesh this union can carve out of whoever is fucking around.

Hint it's probably the Warden.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Like, I just kicked this kid out last block for skipping and he tries to get in again with a photo of "his" planner on a phone that isn't even his? Does he think I don't remember kicking him out not even an hour ago?

So let me get this straight...

Kids that are skipping their classes are coming to the... library? And it's your job to figure out who is skipping and kick them out?

That seems strange on so many levels...

e- in my day we just sat in the hallway and played euchre when we were skipping had a break in our class schedule

Yes. My job as a teacher is to make sure students actually go to class to possibly learn something and not skip class trying to lay on a couch looking at Snapchat on their phones or distracting the students and classes in the library actually trying to work.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mori and I are certain he caught all the spelling and most (if not all) of the punctuation errors in the proofreading segment. (He did it all, I just cast my eye over it).

What was offputting was every time he went to close the app he was greeted with ‘are you sure? It doesn’t look as if you’re done. Click yes to quit.’

Not sure if that was because he hadn’t hit the time limit or because there were outstanding errors.

Beyond obvious spelling/punctuation, he may have missed some stylistic errors. Ways on formatting date and numbers in formal settings, for example. Those are trickier!

From what I saw he aced the multiple choice spelling/grammar test and typing test, though! Besides, how much are they expecting out of administrative assistants?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Well I got selected to move forward in that tacoma government job

so I did the tests

man I hate the spelling and grammar tests

Ah. You just knead to bear down and get thru it. You now that they're isn't going to be anything on those testes that you havent dun befour.

But this is the correct spelling!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    He won't make it far in this business like that.

yeah i mean

clearly you back that statement up with a bribe, not just talk

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Been working temporary setting up a retail store for the past 3 weeks.

Tomorrow I find out if I get to stay on, and if it will be full or part time. My anxiety is killing me.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    The usual practice here in Swedistan is that if you need to take sick leave, you have one day without pay, and then 80% salary. After a period (I think it's one week) you need a doctor's note. Which usually leads to people coming to work when they really shouldn't to not lose one day of salary.

Company I'm at said "fuck that" and gives 80% salary from day one of sickness. Feeling too sick to come to work? Stay home, dangit.

That only the first day isn't payed seems really counterproductive. Who thought that up?

The government, during the crisis in the early 90s. Back then the government paid the 80% sick pay from the first day and so to decrease costs they implemented this first day without pay. It was meant to discourage "cheating" but really all it does is encourage people to go to work when they're sick.

These days the employer pays the sick pay for the first 14 days which leads to stuff like Echo's company where they decide to ignore the ridiculous rules, but a lot of places like to just complain about it and pretend they're not allowed to do anything.

There's this great loophole though where you only lose your pay from the first sick-day for the time during that day you actually take off. So as a full-time employee the best thing you can do for yourself is go into work sick, work 7 hours and then take the last hour off sick. That hour gets deducted from your pay and then the next day you can stay home with 80% pay.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I work at a 3 letter Automotive manufacturer in the states, the only plant in the US. We get no sick days, 8 days of paid leave, and if you miss more then 3 days in a year they take 25% of your bonus, 5 days they take 75%, 7 days and your are fired. And that is for any reason, up to and including major hospital trips. Just to give you some insight into how blue collar workers are treated in the states.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is that a union job?

I've missed 3 days this year already and no one gives a shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is that a union job?

I've missed 3 days this year already and no one gives a shit.

God, I love it when nurses are coerced into working while sick by dumb sick day policies.

And by, "I love it," I mean @bowen loves it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't love it!

I don't love it at all!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    As somebody who virtually never gets sick, I too MUCH prefer the larger "single pool" of PTO, which you can use as sick time. In these instances they're not taking away sick time or forcing you to "use leisure time if you're sick" as a few people suggested earlier in the thread (assuming both methods give you equal days of course), they're just giving you a pool of "use this for anything, whenever you want" paid days off. I will always take 20 days of PTO over a 10 PTO/10 Sick-day system.

Sick days don't carry over at years' end, either. It's so much better to have it all as PTO. In the games industry in the US, 20-25 days PTO (excluding holidays) seems pretty standard. A lot of companies tend to also give 1-2 weeks off over the holidays, in addition to your PTO. Some places even have that "unlimited within reason" PTO, either on the books or if you have a manager who trusts you.

I know other countries get more, but generally 20-25 days of PTO has worked out really well for me. I can't really imagine using much more than that unless I "spent" it on a long trip or something. I do feel guilt when I take time off though, sometimes...:| Ever since my 1st company went under and everybody lost 2 weeks of pay and all their PTO, I've been a bit better about taking PTO without the guilt, ha.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Well I got selected to move forward in that tacoma government job

so I did the tests

man I hate the spelling and grammar tests

Ah. You just knead to bear down and get thru it. You now that they're isn't going to be anything on those testes that you havent dun befour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfaltHuQF4

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    As somebody who virtually never gets sick, I too MUCH prefer the larger "single pool" of PTO, which you can use as sick time. In these instances they're not taking away sick time or forcing you to "use leisure time if you're sick" as a few people suggested earlier in the thread (assuming both methods give you equal days of course), they're just giving you a pool of "use this for anything, whenever you want" paid days off. I will always take 20 days of PTO over a 10 PTO/10 Sick-day system.

Sick days don't carry over at years' end, either. It's so much better to have it all as PTO. In the games industry in the US, 20-25 days PTO (excluding holidays) seems pretty standard. A lot of companies tend to also give 1-2 weeks off over the holidays, in addition to your PTO. Some places even have that "unlimited within reason" PTO, either on the books or if you have a manager who trusts you.

I know other countries get more, but generally 20-25 days of PTO has worked out really well for me. I can't really imagine using much more than that unless I "spent" it on a long trip or something. I do feel guilt when I take time off though, sometimes...:| Ever since my 1st company went under and everybody lost 2 weeks of pay and all their PTO, I've been a bit better about taking PTO without the guilt, ha.

The problem that's inherent in the system I'm part of at least is that getting Vacation/Sick separate means more time overall, because Annual is always four hours a month less than those combined, no matter what tier you're in.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

This just encourages people to go in sick though because they don't want to use a holiday day.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I've had, like, 1.5 actual sick days in the 9 years I've been at my job, plus a few taken off for stuff like dentist visits. Most of the time I just use my sick days as if they were vacation days and no one's called me out on it yet.

Edit: To clarify, I don't do that fake call and cough shit or anything. I just schedule vacation like normal and then write down a quarter of it as sick time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

This just encourages people to go in sick though because they don't want to use a holiday day.

If they have a broad "any kind of use pool" and consider it a "holiday only pool" then that's kinda on them, I feel.

In a PTO/Sick-day system, I get half the time off I normally would. I'm just saying that for me, a PTO-only system works much better.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like, this isn't time off.

It's a sick day.

I don't go mini golfing on sick days, I stay in bed or on the couch because I can't work.

People don't look forward to taking sick days.

• Options
    Like, this isn't time off.

It's a sick day.

I don't go mini golfing on sick days, I stay in bed or on the couch because I can't work.

People don't look forward to taking sick days.

Right. Yes. I agree with all of this.

I, personally, virtually never get sick though. I would rather have all my days marked as PTO because then I can take all of those days off. If a company divides that same number of days in between sick days and PTO days, I will likely only get the PTO days.

If I get all my days as PTO days, I don't care that I use one or 3 or 5 if I'm sick, since I have so many of them to use.

Again, I'm literally talking about my own personal preferences on how this works and I understand you may have different opinions on it!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Not only do they have the equity, but on the good years the business that profit all goes into their bank account. And on the bad years they're still probably making several times more than minimum wage.

And then they all motherfucking whine when the state says they have to pay an extra $1 an hour which is $40 a week.

You see the chain pizza place that had just expanded out near us from a bit further west that suddenly closed all their shops out here? "Market Conditions" which translated into "We don't want to have 30 or more locations for, uh, not minimum wage reasons."

Was that Marks?

Yup. A lot of them were actually local franchisees that were told to close down...and the owners had non-competes. Impressively dickish. One of them out near my work just basically rebranded and has been slowly varying the menu to get away from the corporate overlord.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I mean I'm sorry, but the entire idea of you saying it's "unfair" that I get more days off because I am sick and I'm then lucky, is kind of insulting.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't think she ever said it was unfair, or that you're lucky for being sick? As an outside observer, it feels like maybe you're reading into it something that's not there.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    My employer does a split 2 weeks sick + a reasonable enough amount of PTO based on your time at the company thing (2-3 weeks), but also forces you to dip into your PTO for 16 hours before you can start billing sick. If you have a long-term condition or something that comes back again after you return to work you don't have to double-dip into the PTO, but it's still real bad unless you need to recover from a major illness or surgery.

I agree that I'd much rather just get a few extra days regular PTO, but our company also skews pretty old so they probably use that sick time for all it's worth.

rhylith on
  • Options
    I just really wish there was a federally mandated vacation policy. It’s just so silly and backwards that one doesn’t exist. It’s just... healthy to have vacation time.

I’ve been crying a lot today because visiting my family is always the highlight of my year and... ugh, I miss them so much and only being able to visit for a few days at a time?!

• Options
    I mean I'm sorry, but the entire idea of you saying it's "unfair" that I get more days off because I am sick and I'm then lucky, is kind of insulting.

I never said it was unfair, and I never said sick people get "more days off"...??? OBVIOUSLY a sick day is not a happy fun free time day. I was talking strictly about how I view my own PTO days because people were talking about the breakdowns of PTO and Sick Days and which they preferred.

I am literally just talking about a breakdown of PTO and sick-time that I personally prefer in regards to my own employer(s).

I'm saying "I personally, for me, like to have everything as PTO because I personally don't get sick often, so I get to use the full pool of available time off"
    and you are somehow taking this to mean
    "Sick people get more PTO than me and that's unfair" ...which I feel should be pretty clear is a thing I am not saying, but if that's not clear: this is not what I'm saying or trying to express.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I don't know if this helps to describe this, but I've never had to take a day off and had to consider or worry about what "pool" it would be taken out of. A day off from work is a day off from work to me. A day off is not always a vacation day. A day off is not necessarily a sick day, but it might be. I don't mentally put my "time off" into two different boxes. It's all one box to me.

I certainly do not ENVY anybody who is taking sick days. Sick days are awful. If you personally prefer to have 10 days PTO and 10 sick days rather than 20 PTO days, that's fine? I don't really get the conflict here.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Earlier this year I basically lost weeks pay because of the flu. We accumulate sick leave at a fair pace for US standards, but due to every surgeon I've ever consulted with being scared to work on my back, I burn through those hours almost faster than I can build them due to things like "I leaned over to grab something from the copy machine and now I can't walk".

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When you are sick, it’s not a vacation. You need actual vacation time to take a break and relax. It’s not just “time off” work.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    When I had the flu a handful of years ago, it knocked me solidly on my ass for an extremely long time. I got over the worst of it in a few days, but I had a cough and brutally sore throat from it that didn't go away for a month. Now I get the flu shot, because eff that if I can avoid it or at least reduce my chances.

That was a super weird flu, too. I remember my skin hurt. The lightest touch, or even the skin shifting with the movement of an arm was painful. It was the weirdest thing, and I wondered if I was unique in it until I mentioned it to a coworker and they were like YES MY SKIN HURT TOO, SO WEIRD

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    When I had the flu a handful of years ago, it knocked me solidly on my ass for an extremely long time. I got over the worst of it in a few days, but I had a cough and brutally sore throat from it that didn't go away for a month. Now I get the flu shot, because eff that if I can avoid it or at least reduce my chances.

That was a super weird flu, too. I remember my skin hurt. The lightest touch, or even the skin shifting with the movement of an arm was painful. It was the weirdest thing, and I wondered if I was unique in it until I mentioned it to a coworker and they were like YES MY SKIN HURT TOO, SO WEIRD

My teeth were itchy! And my skin felt like it was..wrong.

• Options
    When you are sick, it’s not a vacation. You need actual vacation time to take a break and relax. It’s not just “time off” work.

So there seems to be an idea that PTO in all instances is only for "relaxing and vacation time". This is not how companies I have worked with in the past have used/offered PTO. PTO has often been, for me, "paid time off for whatever you want or need". It will cover mental health days, sick days, vacation, errand-running, etc. For this reason, you generally get a single large pool of time to use for "whatever" rather than two pools of time to use for specific things. All I am saying is that I personally prefer the large pool of "whatever" time, because for me it works best. I'm not sure why this is being considered such a contentious and malicious/attacking-others opinion. Christ.

To repeat myself again, I'm not suggesting that sick time is fun. I'm not suggesting that sick time is vacation time.

And now I won't talk about it any more!

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    My teeth were itchy!

:bigfrown:

...very glad to have never experienced this sensation.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    So in the us, what happens if you're sick after you've used up your sick leave for the year?

Fuck you, work?

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    101 wrote: »
    So in the us, what happens if you're sick after you've used up your sick leave for the year?

Fuck you, work?

I believe the technical term is “get fucked”

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Wow that is super fucked

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »

Fuck you, work?

Depends on company. If it's long term illness, there's FMLA. If not, you go to work and bitch about it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    At the moment I get 26 paid days off a year, next year that goes up to 31, and a few years after that I can take up to 40 days a year, with everything rolling over

Not perfect, but not too bad either.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Pain and general malaise are actually not at all unusual for many or most strains of flu. H1N1 in particular was notorious for causing people infected with it to be in constant severe pain.

The reason it seems uncommon is because 60-70% of the time (at a guess from personal experience, not based on epidemiological data or anything), people who think they have the flu actually just have nasty respiratory infections. Influenza completely puts you on your ass, as you describe here.

This discussion has been closed.