Options

The [Job] thread, when and how to break dance while in an interview

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    y'all are making me want to look up salaries for my area again.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just got an email that Amazon is looking for a “Programmer Writer”

The heck is that?

I have some technical writing experience in my resume...in fact, I used to have a dedicated technical writing resume in addition to my financial service/business analyst one. Not sure if that’s still floating around somewhere but it’s like 10 years old now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're supposed to write secret love notes to us programmers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Pass

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Pass

11110000:10011111:10010010:10010100

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just got an email that Amazon is looking for a “Programmer Writer”

The heck is that?

I have some technical writing experience in my resume...in fact, I used to have a dedicated technical writing resume in addition to my financial service/business analyst one. Not sure if that’s still floating around somewhere but it’s like 10 years old now.

Good news! You get to comment and document all of the developers code! Whee!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea why 5 people here have such a hard time typing their password in right.

It doesn't even change.

They've used the same password for years.

I don't get it.

But every 2-3 days "hi Bowen can you unlock my account?"

caps lock

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Pass

I'll find someone who truly loves me then, Drez.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I get 18 days vacation a year and 10 sick days. These are 8h days. I work 12h shifts. So if i take a shift off its 1.5 days of time. However, my shift schedule is spaced out so that i work two or three shifts and then have a few days off before the next set. So if i take two shifts off - 3 vacation days - it really works out to like a full week off.

Then i also get to bank my overtime at 2x my hours worked. Its really hard to use this banked time on duty shifts, but in my shift cycle every fifth week is some amount of 8h days (5 or less - it varies) that are not duty shifts. So normally i bank all of these off. Normally three of these non duty weeks per year are fully off anyways, and some only have 1-3x 8h days in them rather than a full five. The way it works out is most times i get every 5th week off throughout the year, or i might have a couple days of training only during that week.

When you combine those two ways to get time off into my schedule, i get like 10 - 15 weeks off a year.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I have no idea why 5 people here have such a hard time typing their password in right.

It doesn't even change.

I don't get it.

caps lock

Here's what the program does when you have caps lock on:

IPYACXD.png

Also they get FIVE chances to type it in wrong.

e: The box also turns red if the capslock is still on and you've typed more than 3 characters

bowen on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

It doesn't even change.

I don't get it.

caps lock

IPYACXD.png

e: The box also turns red if the capslock is still on and you've typed more than 3 characters

The computers have sound? Just record yourself saying "CAPS LOCK IS ON" if a log in fails with it on.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

It doesn't even change.

I don't get it.

caps lock

IPYACXD.png

The computers have sound? Just record yourself saying "CAPS LOCK IS ON" if a log in fails with it on.

You're nicer than me.

I was going to do a bullhorn.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I am not a programmer so I still believe that users have shame.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I think I'm just going to prevent the login window from working if capslock is on.

Just turn everything off and say "TURN OFF CAPSLOCK YOU DUMBASS" so this way they can't even continue. No one sets up a password with capslock on anyways.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Just switch all of their passwords to the capslock button, they will never be locked out again

• Options
    Make the default reset password ”i will not caps lock when entering my password i will not caps lock when entering my password i will not caps lock when entering my password“

Then just automate the fucking thing.

• Options
    Make the default reset password ”i will not caps lock when entering my password i will not caps lock when entering my password i will not caps lock when entering my password“

It texts them a code to unlock their account now, but they always still call me first to make sure it worked.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of discussing work with my siblings so now they’re all telling me about the holidays and perks they receive in the UK. :P

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    UK employee here.

I get unlimited sick leave and 25 days annual leave + national holidays, which is pretty damn common.

I can also sacrifice 5 days pay for an extra 5 days holiday, to bring me to 30.

Which I do every year because 30days leave is the light.

And you sacrifice before tax so there's an additional oh so tiny tax benefit to it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It texts them a code to unlock their account now, but they always still call me first to make sure it worked.

Can you somehow rig up an electric fence unit to their keyboards set to shock them if they get their password wrong?

• Options
    Some of these jobs are asking an awful lot of a 'bookkeeper'

But eh I'll apply anyway, because these jobs are also offering pretty decent wages and don't require an accounting degree

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Change their passwords to only include i,I,l,1,! and |

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    bowen...

You gotta get out of that habit of manually helping people with processes that are automated or you'll be doing stupid manual shit forever. Let em down easy "We have an automated process for this- can I walk you through how to do it so you can use that next time?", or let em down hard "I don't have time to do this manually.. come see me if you have any issues with the automated process"... But don't keep doing stupid shit for people every time they call you or they'll just keep coming to you with more and more inane shit that you don't have time for.

El Skid on
  • Options
    The only reason I did it is because my boss was right there and she loudly exclaimed "I can't do any work, I'm locked out!"

But in truth it she might not have gotten the text because reception in our building is spotty.

For real though, I'm locking the whole form out when capslock is on though.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The only reason I did it is because my boss was right there and she loudly exclaimed "I can't do any work, I'm locked out!"

But in truth it she might not have gotten the text because reception in our building is spotty.

and then that one person who doesn't know how to shift will get locked out from entering their password

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

and then that one person who doesn't know how to shift will get locked out from entering their password

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah at this point if you're lacking even those basic computer literacy skills, your place of employment should not be coddling you.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So many kids trying to skip classes today in the stupidest ways.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Like, I just kicked this kid out last block for skipping and he tries to get in again with a photo of "his" planner on a phone that isn't even his? Does he think I don't remember kicking him out not even an hour ago?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Like, I just kicked this kid out last block for skipping and he tries to get in again with a photo of "his" planner on a phone that isn't even his? Does he think I don't remember kicking him out not even an hour ago?

Yes.

• Options
    edited April 2018

So let me get this straight...

Kids that are skipping their classes are coming to the... library? And it's your job to figure out who is skipping and kick them out?

That seems strange on so many levels...

e- in my day we just sat in the hallway and played euchre when we were skipping had a break in our class schedule

El Skid on
  • Options
    Someone who hasn't worked with my office before and has been requesting updates every 3 days just sent me an email that basically boils down to "did you ever do your job," when I was literally in the process of sending her the partially signed contracts for her signature. It's taking all my self control not to snark at her.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Someone who hasn't worked with my office before and has been requesting updates every 3 days just sent me an email that basically boils down to "did you ever do your job," when I was literally in the process of sending her the partially signed contracts for her signature. It's taking all my self control not to snark at her.

Don't do it! Snarkiness leads to smugness. Smugness leads to smirking. Smirking leads you to the dark side of the Force.

...That's how it goes, right?

• Options
    I mean it'd be super unprofessional of me anyway but like gat dang, have some chill.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Don't do it! Snarkiness leads to smugness. Smugness leads to smirking. Smirking leads you to the dark side of the Force.

...That's how it goes, right?

I think you missed the tacos. There's always tacos.

• Options
    I’m 50 mins early to the interview. Time to find a local Starbucks! The parking here is just a couple of spaces right up against the building so I feel like a creeper just sitting here.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Counting down the last fifteen minutes of the day, reminding myself it isn't my job to teach an entire year of seniors how to be human beings and repeatedly checking all my outstanding job applications. Welcome to the next 34 days of the school year.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    In this job I get 28 days paid holiday. Sick days are unregulated, but when you live at work it's hard for your boss not to believe when you're sick and likewise they don't worry about you faking it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    What is it about putting in applications that's so terrible and tiring? I feel like I just split a cord of wood. Kinda. Not really but you know what I mean.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I currently earn about 10 hours of vacation and 8 hours of sick each month working for the state after 3 years. Though here the goal is to accrue the sick leave and then eventually switch over to annual, I'd be earning 14 hours of that at my current rate. You no longer accrue sick leave but whatever you saved up sticks with you until it's gone or you retire.

This discussion has been closed.