As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There needs to be a way for daycare to call and have a note on screen to say "not an emergency, please breathe"

Yeah mine has called a couple times to tell me of like scrapes or to alert us to a cough we were aware of when he got dropped off. Everytime I see it pop up and I'm at work I'm already thinking "ok hang up talk to the bo... oh just calling to say he did good today? WHY DID YOU CALL?!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Niko is perfectly potty trained when naked! He even paused his movie to go pee today and he took himself to the toilet without anyone having to go with him!

But we’re still working on underwear. He keeps having small accidents in underwear.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So I lived in Germany for 10 years and fell in love with Haribo Gummis and these:

h2khch598uc4.jpg

I ordered them online and let my toddler have a piece. Since getting them yesterday he hasn't pooped his pants, and requests "daddy's candy" every time he's gone to the potty.

TLDR; order this candy. You can potty train your kids with it.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Niko is perfectly potty trained when naked! He even paused his movie to go pee today and he took himself to the toilet without anyone having to go with him!

But we’re still working on underwear. He keeps having small accidents in underwear.

Underwear can feel like diapers. Our 3 year old still has some issues when he's focused on something else and has to go. It takes a bit for them to get used to.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Our 4.9 year old is fully trained but refuses to wear undies. He insists that he doesn't have to until he's 5.

We've started a long con with boxers by calling them "silky shorts". He doesn't mind wearing them under pants with zippers.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    We got a new car in preparation for the new kiddo. Family car acquired, adult mode official engaged.

6fjjivvhy1a3.jpg

It's a 2018 Mazda CX-9. Should provide plenty of space for the kids and any friends or grandparents that visit. Definitely going to be a learning curve over my older Toyota Corolla, but I think I'll manage. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    How do you like it so far? I am considering a CX-5 for when it's time to replace my Acura TL.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    How do you like it so far? I am considering a CX-5 for when it's time to replace my Acura TL.

Only been 1 day, but it drives smooth. Got a lot of power too which I was not ready for at first. Not gonna win any races or anything, but also not gonna leave you in the slow lane either.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    4 year old made a huge mess and refused to clean it up, toys everywhere. So I turned on Moana loud enough for her to hear and set up a gate to keep her out.

The gate comes down when the room is clean.

The only other time I’ve seen a child that upset they were physically injured.

Room’s almost clean though.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    4 year old made a huge mess and refused to clean it up, toys everywhere. So I turned on Moana loud enough for her to hear and set up a gate to keep her out.

The gate comes down when the room is clean.

The only other time I’ve seen a child that upset they were physically injured.

Room’s almost clean though.

5x95uhp5ypc1.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Abigail got her very own ice cream cone for the first time tonight. Here's the story of her reaction told in 4 parts:

Anticipation!
    24crtg3ee6x0.jpg

Consumption!
    tj3e2rlcbzmm.jpg

Ecstasy!
    adtrba9c7fu3.jpg

Gratuitous Cute Pic
    epc56zd6egab.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Son was in the big kid section when we got him at daycare, he was catatonic as a daycare lady put his shoes on. I felt so bad, god damn you kirkland PD for not clearing an accident and thus making me late so he got put into the big kid section!

It was one of the few times I'd seen him so lifeless, so I guess he has a step above crying, completely disconnection, just like his daddy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Son was in the big kid section when we got him at daycare, he was catatonic as a daycare lady put his shoes on. I felt so bad, god damn you kirkland PD for not clearing an accident and thus making me late so he got put into the big kid section!

It was one of the few times I'd seen him so lifeless, so I guess he has a step above crying, completely disconnection, just like his daddy.

Our daycare was short of teachers the other day due to one of them being home with her sick kid. So they combined the 2-3s in with the 3-4s.

Ellie was having NONE of that business. Usually the 3-4's will come over and play in the littler room. But this time, they went to the big kid room and Lordy days did she let those teachers know just how little she liked her routine changing.

I got there and she was in fits of tears and those hiccuping breaths. Still sitting down like a good girl waiting for her afternoon cracker for snack time, but just a wailing.

But as soon as I walked into the classroom, everything was fine, I got a big hug and she looked at the teacher and said "*hiccup* mommy come to get eleanor. Mommy find Eleanor here in classroom".

So I guess she was worried that I wouldn't be able to find her? sweet girl.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

I drive a CX-5. They're good cars. Could use a bit more legroom in the backseat, but I understand that change has actually been made in the 2nd generation chassis.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I told my son that I have a certain set of skills, and no matter where he is at at daycare I will find him. I don't think he was listening, anyone know Liam Neeson, I think he might be able to deliver this speech better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

word to the wise, CX-5 basically has less to the same backrow space as a Mazda 3 so unless for some reason you need something less fuel efficient I don't really get it. We replaced our Mazda 3 with a Mazda 5 after we had our second kid, it has been a life saver.

(honestly i don't get the North American fascination with mid-size SUVs, they don't have very much space in them)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I told my son that I have a certain set of skills, and no matter where he is at at daycare I will find him. I don't think he was listening, anyone know Liam Neeson, I think he might be able to deliver this speech better.
    I feel this is relevant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqG621-drmk

Edit - The preview thumbnail is perfect.

Henroid on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've been daydreaming about a mazda 3 hatchback or a corolla hatchback for some time now.

but basically i'll be happy as a duck with a car that has remote door locking. I can see that being an essential piece of parenting in the next year or so.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've been daydreaming about a mazda 3 hatchback or a corolla hatchback for some time now.

but basically i'll be happy as a duck with a car that has remote door locking. I can see that being an essential piece of parenting in the next year or so.

How about a motorcycle and sidecar outfit, instead? You, Ecco, and Ellie can be your own little motorcycle gang!

• Options

What I've really liked about our Murano has been keyless entry, because when you've got your hands full of shit/struggling child. Its nice to be able to push a button on the car door and open it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

What I've really liked about our Murano has been keyless entry, because when you've got your hands full of shit/struggling child. Its nice to be able to push a button on the car door and open it.

Keyless entry is the best with kids. It's so nice not having to try to hit a button whilst you'r wrangling a child into a car while also holding their umpteen schoolbags. It's also fun getting Freddie to touch the "magic spot on the door handle" which locks the car.

It's also fun when he's tugging on the door trying to open it and I'm over the maximum 0.8m away and it doesn't open and I get to look like a wizard because it unlocks as I step closer and wave my arms at the car.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Yeah, the CX-9 has been amazing so far. I feel so completely spoiled driving it. Looking like a solid purchase!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    If you're even a little handy with diy electonic stuff, you can buy remote locking kits on Amazon for like 25 bucks and install them yourself.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So our kid who was born on 12/31/2017, six weeks early, is now having her medical bills manipulated by insurance to both cover 2017 and 2018 to maximize the amount we would have to pay out of pocket.

If all of the charges went live as of her discharge date, 1/12/2018, we would easily have reached the out of pocket maximum for 2018. Of course, that would minimize the amount of payments to the company; so they are trying to apply as much as possible to 2017 - even though that would be billing in advance of fees.

The American health care system everyone!

Full disclosure, I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife is a nurse practitioner - we're gonna do some more digging.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    We’re really enjoying our Toyota Prius V... basically a prius stationwagon.

It’s not for you if you’re offroading or towing shit, but it uses very little gas, has plenty of room, and all the keyless entry stuff along with keyless start- just have the keys in your pocket and push a button to go, no need to take em out to drive or open the driver door

El Skid on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    We’re really enjoying our Toyota Prius V... basically a prius stationwagon.

It’s not for you if you’re offroading or towing shit, but it uses very little gas, has plenty of room, and all the keyless entry stuff along with keyless start- just have the keys in your pocket and push a button to go, no need to take em out to drive or open the driver door

We really enjoy our Prius V. And as a guy who is both big and very tall, it's the first vehicle I've been able to sit comfortably in the back seat of since I was around 10.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I have a Prius-C, hahahaha.

• Options
    Prius was another in my list. But I'm looking at getting a used car within our budget, so no idea how that works with the Prius.

I really want a Mazda 2, but just have to accept that it's just not enough room for stuff that we'd need to go on holiday.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    So our kid who was born on 12/31/2017, six weeks early, is now having her medical bills manipulated by insurance to both cover 2017 and 2018 to maximize the amount we would have to pay out of pocket.

If all of the charges went live as of her discharge date, 1/12/2018, we would easily have reached the out of pocket maximum for 2018. Of course, that would minimize the amount of payments to the company; so they are trying to apply as much as possible to 2017 - even though that would be billing in advance of fees.

The American health care system everyone!

Full disclosure, I am a nurse anesthetist and my wife is a nurse practitioner - we're gonna do some more digging.

Best of luck to you, we were on deck to get fucked by our insurance and then nothing. Like we had gotten bills, statements, were told we owed money and then all of a sudden it went away.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko's been doing great today with wearing pants & underwear. Completely dry and has been going to the bathroom on his own.

He still takes his pants and underwear off when he uses it, but that's not a huge deal. Also, less constantly playing with his penis!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Prius was another in my list. But I'm looking at getting a used car within our budget, so no idea how that works with the Prius.

I really want a Mazda 2, but just have to accept that it's just not enough room for stuff that we'd need to go on holiday.

You're in New Zealand, the land of the ridiculously awesome JDM imports!

You could get a Caldina (basically a turbocharged AWD Corolla stationwagon, or a Galant (basically a turbocharged AWD Lancer station wagon) or perhaps a more sensible choice like a mid 2000s Subaru Legacy wagon. For example: https://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy/1814850

• Options

You could get a Caldina (basically a turbocharged AWD Corolla stationwagon, or a Galant (basically a turbocharged AWD Lancer station wagon) or perhaps a more sensible choice like a mid 2000s Subaru Legacy wagon. For example: https://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy/1814850

but I don't want a wagon. I"m looking for a smaller than that car. We're driving a 1998 Nissan Maxima and I'd love something with a little less booty size but the same space. which Is probably a daydream. but that Legacy is within my ideal price range. hmm.

Maybe I should stop by the car thread?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Meanwhile I have a Prius-C, hahahaha.

I drove the Prius C for work for a while once we got rid of the bugs. I was extremely happy to move out of it and into a transit van. That Prius C is hot garbage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

but I don't want a wagon. I"m looking for a smaller than that car. We're driving a 1998 Nissan Maxima and I'd love something with a little less booty size but the same space. which Is probably a daydream. but that Legacy is within my ideal price range. hmm.

What do you mean by less booty size but the same space? A Maxima is a medium size sedan, if you want the same interior space you're going to need to stick with a car the same size or bigger.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We bought a Kia Sephia last summer as our first big grown-up not economy sized car ever. It's pretty great, has a third row and everything. Then I got to buy my own car for the first time in years (we were a one car household for about 5 years)...so I went the opposite side and got a 2010 bug.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was in the hospital once Christmas Eve. Hit the deductible for both years. It sucked..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Niko's been doing great today with wearing pants & underwear. Completely dry and has been going to the bathroom on his own.

He still takes his pants and underwear off when he uses it, but that's not a huge deal. Also, less constantly playing with his penis!

Funny how dick playing stops for a bit and then picks up again for pretty much the rest of ones life... There is like a period of time from like 7 to 13 you aren't controlled by your dick, the glory years.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh well he just peed in his pants again. Ah well, still did amazingly before that!

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    My 5 year old is going through a phase where he just cannot. Stop. Talking. Constant questions over and over. Often immediately after the other.

It's driving me bonkers.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Should be able to get one of the later Toyota Ipsums for about that now, too. Petrol predecessor of the Prius V, and not hard to find in NZ.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.