As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    I think my greatest frustration with smith (and i really enjoyed the show) was that any victory seemed to be deus ex machina more than deliberate methodical planning or outsmarting, with one very late exception.

Yeah, that's the thing for me, they should've made her actually competent instead of just obnoxiously lucky. I like watching everybody else in the show because they're competent and think about things, not because they randomly have things work out for no reason. The family working together professionally despite the family issues is great, but it also makes Smith's "I somehow roll a natural 20 on every bluff" increasingly more aggravating as the show progresses.

And it's waste of the actor, who does a pretty good job with a dumb role. With better writing, she could've really delivered something great.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Seems like Handmaid's Tale season 2 has started?

I saw very little advertisement for it and I'm on Hulu like all the time...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Crunchyroll's queue update notifications suck.
    I had 2 shows in my queue that had apparently started new episodes weeks ago, but the queue itself didn't show that. In fact, if I played the last episode the UI didn't even show the skip to next episode button, even though pressing R1 did indeed work to move to the new ep.

So I got all caught up and just now got the first new episode email in months regarding one i already finished.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    A few months back I'd subscribed to Charter's streaming only TV service. I wanted to stay better up to date with the news but ended up hardly ever using it. Most of the time I'd fire it up, watch for 10 minutes, get hit with a commercial break and turn it off. I finally canceled it today. I don't know how people can watch normal TV anymore. Commercial breaks have become longer than the shows themselves.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    A few months back I'd subscribed to Charter's streaming only TV service. I wanted to stay better up to date with the news but ended up hardly ever using it. Most of the time I'd fire it up, watch for 10 minutes, get hit with a commercial break and turn it off. I finally canceled it today. I don't know how people can watch normal TV anymore. Commercial breaks have become longer than the shows themselves.

The trick is never watching anything live so you can skip commercials. This includes starting sports late so that you catch up near the end of the game, but can still catch that part live.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Just saw the first 4 episodes of Happy! on Netflix.

It’s with the cook from Wet Hot American Summer as a former-cop/hitman who meets a flying blue unicorn voiced by Patton Oswalt to go and rescue his daughter he never knew he had in a weird John Wick-like world where every cop is corrupt and run by the maffia who have a reality TV show.

It gets weirder each episode, buy then again, Grant Morrisson has something to do with it.

It is very gory and very violent and quite funny.

I might just watch the remaining 4 episodes today :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ooh Happy! is on Netflix? I caught the pilot at a hotel i was staying at for work and really liked it , but don't have cable so I couldn't follow up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Ok I'm gonna have to check that out.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Just got an email from Netflix for new suggestions.

szxlkx4fvw7i.png

Did... did they rush out a sequel for Boss Baby? Who asked for this!? I can't be-

-Oh.Oh, god, it's a TV show. With 13 episodes... But...but why?

The fuck is this? Though it’s fitting that it was the Asian baby who did it.

• Options
    OK, if the almost-end of Happy!’s episode 7 doesn’t make you laugh, you don’t have a soulfilthy mind :lol::lol::lol:

It doesn’t happen a lot when I do a proper LOL when I’m alone, but that did it :lol:

• Options
    Aha, the other guy behind Happy! (besides Grant Morrisson) is Brian Taylor, one half of Taylor/Neveldine, you know, from Crank... That explains it a bit :lol:

It’s a fun, violent ride, and...
    ...it is renewed for a second season!

So Smoothie is still alive, and Orcus the demon is now in Blue.

I hope Debbie Mazar returns in the second season....

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Aggretsuko on Netflix is a nice little show, just 10 - 15 minute episodes but it doesn't overstay it's welcome and the character voices are good.

Also HBO Now is being a little bitch recently, constantly wanting me to sign in even though I've done so and even have it connected through my Apple account. There must be some timer to it if you don't check it every few days or something and it's been a busy few months, but I never have that problem with Netflix or other apps. It's really aggravating to the point I'm thinking of canceling my subscription for a few months just for spite, maybe just cancel it and Starz and lean on Netflix and Prime for stuff for awhile.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ooh Happy! is on Netflix? I caught the pilot at a hotel i was staying at for work and really liked it , but don't have cable so I couldn't follow up.

Not in the US, it seems. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Based on the recommendations here, I started watching The Magicians, and after finishing the first season I think I like it. I was kind of expecting a more upbeat show, more Buffy the Vampire Slayer than depression and child abuse, but eh. Now that Handmaid's Tale is on again, I suppose everything else feels uplifting enough.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would kill for another Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. I love that show. I still watch reruns.

• Options
    Prime got its priced jacked up 20 bucks to 120 a year and will probably show an increase a la carry for Amazon video.

Now it’s at the point where I might have to think about if it’s worthwhile because I’m not using the shipping bonus as much as I have and they only really have The Grand Tour that I watch (I want to give Bosch a try but already have a backlog)

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Just saw the first 4 episodes of Happy! on Netflix.

It’s with the cook from Wet Hot American Summer as a former-cop/hitman who meets a flying blue unicorn voiced by Patton Oswalt to go and rescue his daughter he never knew he had in a weird John Wick-like world where every cop is corrupt and run by the maffia who have a reality TV show.

It gets weirder each episode, buy then again, Grant Morrisson has something to do with it.

It is very gory and very violent and quite funny.

I might just watch the remaining 4 episodes today :biggrin:

excuse me it Detective Eliot Stapler

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I would kill for another Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. I love that show. I still watch reruns.

Me and a couple of my friends have this annual tradition of binge watching either the Faith or the Evil Willow storyline + Hush and the musical episode. I've lost count on how many times I've rewatched those.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Faith + Mayor was so good. I even include the Angel episodes that follow her story as well.

Musical episode is the best episode though.

• Options
    Musical episode is the best. I still remember being awe struck that Giles could sing!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It was announced that Netflix is also teaming up with Dreamworks Animation to make a Fast & the Furious TV show for kids/teens, following Dom Turetto's teen cousin and pals who will be doing missions for Mr. Nobody.

God bless the Fast & Furious franchise.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Happy! is just all kinds of awesome. Gory, filthy and dark as hell. Christopher Meloni is incredible as a drunk/high murder hobo.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, Happy seems like lots of fun so far. Definitely worth checking out - if nothing else, it'll be very obvious if it's your kind of thing early on.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Anyone familiar with Pluto TV? Just saw the app for it on my Fire this morning and curious if it’s worth giving a try.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I watched Mercury 13 last Friday (Netflix). I'm an unabashed Space Program nut and an engineer, and I'm trying to foster a love of STEM in my daughters.

1) I cannot recommend it enough. If you have an interest in anything related to space or aircraft or progressive women, you should watch it. Also don't begrudge John Glenn; he was a product of his time.

2) The last 10 minutes was a gut punch right in the feels. I had to take a couple minutes and just sit for a bit after the show was over. I want my girls to be those women.

• Options
    Just watched the new John Mulaney Kid Gorgeous comedy special. If you like Mulaney as a comedian it’s basically just more of that. I enjoyed it. He had a bit about colleges sending you letters asking for donations after you paid them an arm and a leg in tuition for a useless degree that I related to on a deep level.

• Options
    I was gonna post the new monthly list of adds and it was going to be great with a brilliant pun of "How 'May' I help your viewing habits this month" and we would all laugh and walk through fields of gold but it's basically a bunch of of foreign movies and shows, Mulaney's new special, and Shrek and Harold and Kumar 2 and Hellboy 2.

• Options
    Because I’m interested in that Tesla documentary, the first suggestion is that new Adam Sandler movie with Chris Rock.

Can anyone explain what the connection is between those two, and why nothing else from Netflix comes closer than that?

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Aggretsuko was surprisingly good. Definitely recommend it.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    UH. Cobra Kai on Youtube Red...is really good.

If you liked Karate Kid.

Or if you grew up in the 80's.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I meant that I imagine the majority of this forums are guys who saw Karate Kid at a formative age and, well, Cobra Kai is...it's more Karate Kid.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Just got an email from Netflix for new suggestions.

szxlkx4fvw7i.png

Did... did they rush out a sequel for Boss Baby? Who asked for this!? I can't be-

-Oh.Oh, god, it's a TV show. With 13 episodes... But...but why?

The fuck is this? Though it’s fitting that it was the Asian baby who did it.

Am I missing something?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I don’t get the video in general.

Big Mouth was surprisingly good. I would not share it with friends because of its embarrasing nature.

Also Aggretsuko is pretty great. It was kind of neat to hear the English dub but read the Japanese translated subtitles. I preferred the adaption.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I don’t get the video in general.

Big Mouth was surprisingly good. I would not share it with friends because of its embarrasing nature.

Also Aggretsuko is pretty great. It was kind of neat to hear the English dub but read the Japanese translated subtitles. I preferred the adaption.

Ya I loved Big mouth, but even tho I knew I was watching alone, I would still shoulder check after some scenes

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Oooh the first two episodes of Cobra Kai are up for free on YouTube, now we can see if MegaMan001 is Mega Man 3 correct or Mighty No. 9 correct.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I watched Anon this weekend and thought it was really good for a feature film-length Black Mirror episode (so like, 20 minutes longer than a normal Black Mirror episode, and also not as depressing).

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Sorry, how is it related to Black Mirror?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

The premise is very similar to quite a few of the episodes of Black Mirror

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

The tech that it's exploring is exactly the same as a Black Mirror episode. Basically, "What if eyes, but too much?"

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Ah.

I glanced at the writer/director and it turns out I'm reasonably fond of several of his films (gattaca/simone/in time) so that sounds like it's worth a shot. Thanks for bringing it up.

edit: I think reducing it to "what if eyes, but too much" is a little unfair. At any rate, it's a neat take on a seamless augmented reality.

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.