Options

The Most Amazing [chat] Ever Created! discuss Avengers IW in the Avengers IW thread

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist both explicitly take place in and aesthetic stand-in for western europe. Lots of blonde hair and blue eyes, western castles and cobblestone streets. All the names are like that Japanese baseball game that made up an entire roster of western sounding name.

And yet both movies have an all-japanese cast in horrible wigs and tend to omit characters that couldn’t be done well by japanese actors. Why didn’t they just hire some token foreigners to act in the movies? Save a bit on terrible wigs and eye enlargement makeup.

Nope.

Japan's movie industry is very much Japan first.

Also I mean, what did you expect from these movies?

We complain about whitewashing so often and we have a well produced movie that isnt so but we still like to beat it down for minor faults.

For how bad the US is with this Japan is much much worse.

I will very much point out the very overt race issues Japan has in its treatment of pretty much everyone not Japanese. My usual description for Japan on a lot of cultural sensitivity things is, Japan is the US in the mid to late 70's and kind of just stuck there.

But at the same time it is an island that is 98% Japanese and is one of the entertainment industries where local fare is the biggest market instead of imported US/Hollywood movies.

Yeah but it's really not just the xenophobia.

Their sexism is... well, it makes us look like gender utopias.

I can only imagine how horrible their trans communities have it.

Ehh, again different culture with a different historical base. I would not say amazing but at the same time not really the same type of bullshit you get in the states. Japan's issues are not based in the protestant puritanism that the US/Canada and a lot of Europe have baked in.

Yeah but, I see it in a lot of the media.

Transphobia and homophobia is really baked in to their entertainment.

I've seen very few positive female characters in the admittedly small slice of anime I've watched or been aware of.

Anime, though a bigger export, is a subset of a really broad media market in Japan and would not be the basis I would weigh everything on. Especially since a lot of it is targeted towards 13-16 year olds which isn't great either.

Yeah but, take Persona 5.

Aren't women just puzzles/prizes?

I mean damn....

Same with Mass Effect, just it is women and men. Same for most games with any romance part.

Gamification of relationships will always leave something to be desired.

*rifles through inventory, hands mazzy a ... slightly damp and discolored teddy bear*

did it work

are we together now

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    elki bloodyroarxx this is what PEAK. PERFORMANCE. looks like (this is my friend, not me)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/onthelastcastle/video/49025769

yes, he is rolling with a trash mini-uzi without it upgraded (it had become his lucky uzi and well deserved that name). what you can't hear was me screaming in his ear the entire time with joy and agony.

Apparently no one can aim on the xbox

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    I need to take a vacation.

Do I request 1 or 2 weeks off?

how many do you have available?

*checks*

390 hours, so.. um... at 7.5 hours per work day... divided by 5 days in a work week...

10 1/2 weeks.

i would take two if i could

we're already almost halfway through the year

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    How long after an interview should I expect to wait to hear anything?

Also, if I was one of three, should I expect radio silence or a clear "no?"

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    elki bloodyroarxx this is what PEAK. PERFORMANCE. looks like (this is my friend, not me)

yes, he is rolling with a trash mini-uzi without it upgraded (it had become his lucky uzi and well deserved that name). what you can't hear was me screaming in his ear the entire time with joy and agony.

Console?

That guy should've been 25 flavors of dead

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    My basic problem with video game romances is that they almost never make it about the character's personality and personal preferences when it comes to potential partners and instead make it about being nice to them and agreeing with them.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist both explicitly take place in and aesthetic stand-in for western europe. Lots of blonde hair and blue eyes, western castles and cobblestone streets. All the names are like that Japanese baseball game that made up an entire roster of western sounding name.

And yet both movies have an all-japanese cast in horrible wigs and tend to omit characters that couldn’t be done well by japanese actors. Why didn’t they just hire some token foreigners to act in the movies? Save a bit on terrible wigs and eye enlargement makeup.

Nope.

We complain about whitewashing so often and we have a well produced movie that isnt so but we still like to beat it down for minor faults.

I will very much point out the very overt race issues Japan has in its treatment of pretty much everyone not Japanese. My usual description for Japan on a lot of cultural sensitivity things is, Japan is the US in the mid to late 70's and kind of just stuck there.

But at the same time it is an island that is 98% Japanese and is one of the entertainment industries where local fare is the biggest market instead of imported US/Hollywood movies.

Ehh, again different culture with a different historical base. I would not say amazing but at the same time not really the same type of bullshit you get in the states. Japan's issues are not based in the protestant puritanism that the US/Canada and a lot of Europe have baked in.

I've seen very few positive female characters in the admittedly small slice of anime I've watched or been aware of.

Anime, though a bigger export, is a subset of a really broad media market in Japan and would not be the basis I would weigh everything on. Especially since a lot of it is targeted towards 13-16 year olds which isn't great either.

Yeah but, take Persona 5.

Aren't women just puzzles/prizes?

I mean damn....

Same with Mass Effect, just it is women and men. Same for most games with any romance part.

Gamification of relationships will always leave something to be desired.

Yeah, but Bioware actually gets criticized for it (rightfully so)

• Options
    My problem with video game romances is... video game romances.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

it has ZERO auto aim

normally it isn't that bad but mass panic.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    All the world's a videogame, and all the men and women merely NPCs

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

a week at the most, give them a buzz on day 6 to see if you're still in the running

Send a thank you note a day or so after the interview (email is acceptable now)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

depends on the company; I would advise sending an email correspondence the very next morning thanking them for the interview and try to contact them no more than once a week until you hear otherwise.

my first engineering job came with a call to interview the next monday, and a job offer on wednesday

Ive had another company make me interview 5 times, once over the phone, twice in lafayette, once in Bay St Louis, and once in Houston, only to never hear from them after that.

Kruite on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Video game romances are horrendous to the point of being insulting

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Nope.

Funny, homophobia is the last thing I would have put forward as something big in anime.

I was seeing gay relationships presented in that medium a LOT more than anything in the US as early as the late 80s.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

most romances tbh

• Options

indistinguishable from real dating

mission success

• Options

Yeah.

It makes you wonder if these people have ever been in a relationship before.

At least Witcher 3 had Geralt making dirty jokes.

• Options
    At least one romanceable videogame character should call you a coward if you are too agreeable.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Dunno the Jack romance where you have casual sex with her and she never wants to talk to you again other than work stuff is about right.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

Nope.

Funny, homophobia is the last thing I would have put forward as something big in anime.

I was seeing gay relationships presented in that medium a LOT more than anything in the US as early as the late 80s.

yeah, i mean, not always the best depictions of gay relationships and people, but more accepting than anything in American media at the time

• Options
    You should think you are going down a romance dialogue path but after a few hours the person says it just isn't working out.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

depends on the company; I would advise sending an email correspondence the very next morning thanking them for the interview and try to contact them no more than once a week until you hear otherwise.

my first engineering job came with a call to interview the next monday, and a job offer on wednesday

Ive had another company make me interview 5 times, once over the phone, twice in lafayette, once in Bay St Louis, and once in Houston, only to never hear from them after that.
    bowen wrote: »

a week at the most, give them a buzz on day 6 to see if you're still in the running

Send a thank you note a day or so after the interview (email is acceptable now)

I did the followup email Sunday evening. Interview was on site Friday all day.

I guess I wait until next week to start really worrying. I just really want this job :/

• Options

Nope.

The most recent example I can think of is OPM and PuriPuri Prisoner.

Jesus christ that was horrific to watch.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    You should think you are going down a romance dialogue path but after a few hours the person says it just isn't working out. is totally unaware you were interested and doesn't think of you that way

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So is Chuck Tingle taking the Walmart approach to writing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Nope.

yeah, i mean, not always the best depictions of gay relationships and people, but more accepting than anything in American media at the time

But still way more positive media than not. Serious gay relationships have been running in manga for decades.

The US get's one Strangers in Paradise and we lose our shit.

• Options
    Anime treatment of lesbians is often really, really, really, really creepy.

"Hey, this is an anime about two women in love... and they are sisters."

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

It depends heavily on the adultness of the script writing, imo. Ones written for actual adult people don't tend to be as bad, as far as I can tell. Ones with ups and downs and cute shit, instead of clear slot machine simulator.

Nope.

Transphobia is in all the American entertainment, or was until like two years ago when it became only in half.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Let's talk about deepfakes and how troubling the rapid improvement in video editing has become

Right now with photos we have basically 3 classifications:

Obvious fake (100% confidence)
    Very likely real (95% confidence)
    Too fucked to tell

It’s really easy to hide image manupulation artifacts with resampling and compression, and so images that are heavily resampled or compressed are just discarded as who knows. But when an image is original and genuine, you have artifacts of the image generation process that are nearly impossible to fake even if you’re trying. It can be done but the level of expertise we’re looking at is far beyond most people and circumstantial evidence, plus a little analysis, can certify an image as unaltered.

That’s where we’ll get with deep fakes I imagine. You’ll either have a video that you can perform lens distortion and sensor noise analysis and identify it as very likely genuine, or you’ll have video that is too small or compressed for those techniques and it’ll get classified as impossible to tell, like photos are now.

I think the fingerprints of video manipulation are quite a bit trickier to hide than single frame images too, since you have time-based stuff to cover up too.

Scary but not “the courts will become a circus where there is no such thing as truth”.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I heard there were some anti-gay characters in Persona 5. I think the two "flaming" dudes who hit on you? I talked to them once and they were in a not high traffic area for me. From the Polygon review at the time, I thought they were reoccurring characters.

• Options

Nope.

That was quite literally a huge farce. The whole show was a farce. Don't get me wrong. It's till a joke at an expense of a group. But they get shit like Yuri on Ice. A kind of story our media is only scratching the surface of now.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    god bless you Chuck Tingle

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

crunchyroll keeps advertising that one to me and crunchyroll pls

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

tbf

america

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Let's talk about deepfakes and how troubling the rapid improvement in video editing has become

Right now with photos we have basically 3 classifications:

Obvious fake (100% confidence)
    Very likely real (95% confidence)
    Too fucked to tell

It’s really easy to hide image manupulation artifacts with resampling and compression, and so images that are heavily resampled or compressed are just discarded as who knows. But when an image is original and genuine, you have artifacts of the image generation process that are nearly impossible to fake even if you’re trying. It can be done but the level of expertise we’re looking at is far beyond most people and circumstantial evidence, plus a little analysis, can certify an image as unaltered.

That’s where we’ll get with deep fakes I imagine. You’ll either have a video that you can perform lens distortion and sensor noise analysis and identify it as very likely genuine, or you’ll have video that is too small or compressed for those techniques and it’ll get classified as impossible to tell, like photos are now.

I think the fingerprints of video manipulation are quite a bit trickier to hide than single frame images too, since you have time-based stuff to cover up too.

Scary but not “the courts will become a circus where there is no such thing as truth”.

It's also pretty easy to spot either if you're in the industry at all. Oh, maybe I have a future as an expert witness/consultant.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I heard there were some anti-gay characters in Persona 5. I think the two "flaming" dudes who hit on you? I talked to them once and they were in a not high traffic area for me. From the Polygon review at the time, I thought they were reoccurring characters.

The pop up a few times

• Options

Nope.

That was quite literally a huge farce. The whole show was a farce. Don't get me wrong. It's till a joke at an expense of a group. But they get shit like Yuri on Ice. A kind of story our media is only scratching the surface of now.

And we get shit like Moonlight, which was amazing.

• Options
    Deep fake stuff terrifies me. We already have a significant population of people divorced from reality being fed on fake info that is only for propaganda purposes.

• Options
    And that one pervert character that is in literally every anime.

This discussion has been closed.