As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Have [chat]s

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The real FF2 wasnt initially released in west because it was too tough for us. And in retrospect it probably was for a lot of us.

Was it tough like Dark Souls interesting tough or tough like hey now go grind for twenty hours because it's not like you've anything better to do you loveless JRPG player tough?

I say this as someone who most definitely ground out ten or so levels to take down O&S.

Dark Souls has its own grind like any other game.

I never had to grind levels in dark souls 1 or 2

You can make it trivial like any other game with "grinding" game systems out in certain ways. You dont have to grind in FF games either. Watch speedrunning.

ok I misread your post mb

Sorry on my side too.... its early and my eyes are especially puffy today. Plus the breathe right strip made my nose look like santa.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    For real tho Abdy frozen yoghurt basically tastes exactly like flavored soft serve ice cream to me, that's probably why I like it a lot.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A lot of early RPGs had fun bugs.

Heck, even FFVI had a stat that did almost nothing due to a bug.

Meant everyone had cool sunglasses

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The archer's ledge and O&S were the major speedbumps in DS1 for me.

I say this, but I also gave up after like an hour because I went the wrong way and thought hmmm nope this isn't fun and then started a couple of years later and got to the depths and fell down a hole and got gassed by a frog and thought hmmm no this isn't fun and then a couple of years later picked it up again and then got every achievement, even the one that meant I had to kill Smough first and thus fight O&S like twenty times like a masochist.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    actually I forget about my texas produce privilege. Visiting my mother in the Boston suburbs was amazing, you had to actually work to find a vegetable. The local supermarket was just embarrassingly bad. I remember standing in the "produce section" and thinking no fucking wonder, look at the state of this place. If that's your idea of what vegetables look like, of course you're going to buy a neon-colored VeggieBlast PowerBar instead.

It was depressing.

The worst part is if you're shopping at night, you get the shitty leftovers that've been picked through through the day.

I lean heavily on frozen veggies for this reason usually. They taste better too, oddly.

they taste better because they can be allowed to ripen naturally for longer since they don't have to survive being stored out in the open

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Throughout my life I've gone back and forth on Ben and Jerry's maximalist flavor philosophy but currently I am all in

Overwhelm my tongue with 100 different delicious flavors and textures at once

When I take a bite I want to feel like this

ZcxXivz.gif

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    chunky monkey is a good reason to keep being alive.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    actually I forget about my texas produce privilege. Visiting my mother in the Boston suburbs was amazing, you had to actually work to find a vegetable. The local supermarket was just embarrassingly bad. I remember standing in the "produce section" and thinking no fucking wonder, look at the state of this place. If that's your idea of what vegetables look like, of course you're going to buy a neon-colored VeggieBlast PowerBar instead.

It was depressing.

The worst part is if you're shopping at night, you get the shitty leftovers that've been picked through through the day.

I lean heavily on frozen veggies for this reason usually. They taste better too, oddly.

they taste better because they can be allowed to ripen naturally for longer since they don't have to survive being stored out in the open

Supposedly the have better nutritional content too.

Eh, it's easier to store and use them as a single person so that's what I prefer.

It doesn't always go so well with certain dishes like if you're doing a stuffed pepper or something so in those cases you'll still need fresh.

Farmer's market should start up here pretty soon I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    God Capra Demon in DS1 was perhaps the only fight where I was like

ok this shit is unfair

cuz I was running a basically zero poise caster build and lol staggered+dead upon zoning in more than 75% of the time

i'm gonna blow ur mind

aural decoy

• Options
    I feel bad every time I open edge on a new install, it shows the "Edge is great you guys" page, and the first thing I write into the bar is "get chrome".

It feels so disrespectful towards edge, it's probably perfectly nice.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 1 had a lot of problems, but it was probably the most influential game of its generation.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

You could dupe weapons in 4, 6 used evade and m evade for everything as well as some spell shennannigans and sketch.

But the first was bugged to high heaven.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

It was depressing.

It's not odd, modern flash freezing technique means that for a lot of vegetables, what you're eating is fresher and better for you than "fresh" produce that has been delivered alongside it. Also, if your store doesn't give a shit about produce, they probably don't often reject a load that has been delivered under temp - so the flash-frozen stuff stayed frozen but the fresh stuff stayed too cold, and the shelf life was at best reduced by days. At worst it's inedible mush within 24 hours.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    My favorite ice cream in recent years is frozen yoghurt. It tastes great and it's yoghurt so it's basically breakfast, and breakfast is healthy.

I hate frozen yoghurt's existence

I have never eaten frozen yoghurt and not thought "why the fuck am I eating this, when there's ice cream instead? Why does this exist?"

"There’s something so human about taking something and ruining it a little so you can have more of it."

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    hot take: the anor londo archers are not that hard

run roll parry ez gg no re

• Options

I say this, but I also gave up after like an hour because I went the wrong way and thought hmmm nope this isn't fun and then started a couple of years later and got to the depths and fell down a hole and got gassed by a frog and thought hmmm no this isn't fun and then a couple of years later picked it up again and then got every achievement, even the one that meant I had to kill Smough first and thus fight O&S like twenty times like a masochist.

That's crazy to me, because I think I've only had Ornstein die first once, maybe twice.

• Options
    I hate having to buy a ton of carrots around here when a recipe calls for one or two because the store only sells them in silly bundles.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

It was depressing.

Everyone learning to cook always makes the mistake of trying to make tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes at least once.

Of my god it’s like gritty battery acid why is this happening!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I feel bad every time I open edge on a new install, it shows the "Edge is great you guys" page, and the first thing I write into the bar is "get chrome".

it's better than IE

the lack of features for a modern browser is a bit sad tho, they've probably improved that

They should just give up, wrap it all into IE, and just give up on trying to make old websites from 2003 work at all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I hate having to buy a ton of carrots around here when a recipe calls for one or two because the store only sells them in silly bundles.

... just eat the rest of the carrots!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Finding decent berries at stores around here is almost impossible despite living in an area where they are grown.

Couscous on
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

You could dupe weapons in 4, 6 used evade and m evade for everything as well as some spell shennannigans and sketch.

But the first was bugged to high heaven.

I rocked the end battle by cloning Excalibur and having the ninja chuck it every turn.

• Options
    Side note: My dogs will sit perfectly still in the kitchen and wait for me to throw them a scrap of bell pepper now. It's pretty great.

• Options

It was depressing.

Everyone learning to cook always makes the mistake of trying to make tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes at least once.

Add some sugar?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

It was depressing.

it's so counterintuitive given what we're all taught about fresh food

but man

canned tomatoes or bust

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The great thing about Ben and Jerry's is that they could use their goofy marketing and aggressive flavor combos as a crutch but they don't. It's high quality shit, they don't foist some Dairy Queen style garbo on you

wandering on
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

That's crazy to me, because I think I've only had Ornstein die first once, maybe twice.

Super Smough was a much easier second fight for me on every playthrough. Super Ornstein would consistently wreck my face many times over. I got him eventually with Solaire, but only after upgrading weapons and grinding some levels so he couldn't just one shot me at will.

The long, windy run to the fight was also annoying.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

... just eat the rest of the carrots!

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Dunno. Perhaps I just played early Dragon Quests and Final Fantasys different. I didnt really grind. I would take hard fought excursions into the next dungeon and actually use that exit dungeon skill or consumable. Getting to boss and beating it while desperately using the last of my consumables, mana etc.

Seemed to me the way they were meant to be played. Pacing was pretty tight in even the early ones.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    extra carrots in the bundle are perfect for carrot soup

• Options

Super Smough was a much easier second fight for me on every playthrough. Super Ornstein would consistently wreck my face many times over. I got him eventually with Solaire, but only after upgrading weapons and grinding some levels so he couldn't just one shot me at will.

Couldn't you just open the front door and use the save point under (the Darklight covenant one you access with the staircase)?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I bought a bag of frozen berries one time because I eat a lot of berries.

They're a huge part of my diet these days.

The frozen bag stuff was tasteless, disgusting, and had this sticky, syrupy shit all over the inside. Fresh berries stuffed in the freezer (I use a lot of them so I get bigger cartons) taste miles better than the pre-frozen nasty shit in an opaque bag.

• Options

It was depressing.

Add some sugar?

Sugar and baking soda can rescue it to being edible but it still doesn’t taste like tomato saunce because you’ve started with trash tomatoes suitable only for color and texture in a salad.

• Options
    Ys 1 & 2 have pretty lopsided grind scales. Whoops, you can't beat this boss, he'll cream you into next Tuesday. <grinds a level> OMG you destroyed that boss in no time flat!

• Options

it's better than IE

the lack of features for a modern browser is a bit sad tho, they've probably improved that

They should just give up, wrap it all into IE, and just give up on trying to make old websites from 2003 work at all.

Our old PIM system used to require internet explorer 8 being run in an even older compatibility mode or no buttons would work. It was the dankest of times.

• Options

It was depressing.

Add some sugar?

Pretty sure this is why ye olde italian sauce recipes use lots of onion and carrots to balance that acidity out.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

It was depressing.

You didn't peel the tomatoes, use a carrot puree to flatten the acidity, or cook them long enough.

• Options
    I bought a bag of frozen berries one time because I eat a lot of berries.

They're a huge part of my diet these days.

The frozen bag stuff was tasteless, disgusting, and had this sticky, syrupy shit all over the inside. Fresh berries stuffed in the freezer (I use a lot of them so I get bigger cartons) taste miles better than the pre-frozen nasty shit in an opaque bag.

Fruits in general freeze very poorly. I’ve never used frozen blueberries for anything and found the result satisfactory.

• Options

Couldn't you just open the front door and use the save point under (the Darklight covenant one you access with the staircase)?

I don't think that one was any closer that the one in the building (if you took the shortcut and jumped out of the spiral staircase). Also, didn't you have to move the stairs to get to that part, and then move them back again if you wanted to leave?

• Options
    Ys 1 & 2 have pretty lopsided grind scales. Whoops, you can't beat this boss, he'll cream you into next Tuesday. <grinds a level> OMG you destroyed that boss in no time flat!

DQs were usually much better with pacing. FFIV though it was fine. Even though we got the easy mode one initially. The DS rerelease of the "hard mode" still has good good pacing.

This discussion has been closed.