Options

RIP Anthony Bourdain.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    One of the reasons I had to go to urgent care for poor knife safety while cooking this weekend was Anthony Bourdain.

Reading his books and watching his shows helped me expand my cooking sphere and I'm going to miss that irascible sonovabitch.

One of my favorite moments of his was watching him go knives out on Twitter when someone told him that Alton Brown sucked and Tony was having NONE OF IT.

I kind of want to see that

Alton showed me how to better enjoy the kitchen and the science of the food.

Bourdain showed me how to better expand my eating horizons and appreciate the cultures behind the recipes.

Those two taught me more about food than anyone else in my life save for my parents.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I pointed out that journalists are doing a bit better job with Bourdain wrt covering suicide and my father has taken it upon himself to defend journalists.

"They should be allowed to do their jobs."

"If journalism is at fault then so are first-person shooters!"

etc. etc.

Pulled up an article on this about the research between media coverage and increasing incidence of suicide and he goes "oh what you just found that on the internet"

Actually no it's a website dedicated to research on journalism and public policy funded and operated by the Harvard Kennedy School of Public Policy that links 4 extra peer-reviewed research papers as well as the World Health Organization guidelines on the topic.

Figured I'd link it in case anyone wanted to use it.

• Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    Ooooof

As all of you have said, this one hits really really hard :(

Something incredibly sad that you may or may not want to know about his suicide (not details of method or anything crass/morbid):
    His friend Eric Ripert, chef of La Bernadin, found him. I always found their interactions on tv to be incredibly sweet and charming because they seemed just really good friends. Eric always had a gentle affability to him and I can't imagine how hard it must be on him right now.

The thing in your spoiler is what fucked me up this morning. Hopefully he can find peace.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I’m honestly not sure which news upset my wife more: his death or what was behind that spoiler.
    She LOVES Ripert, and was a huge fan of Bourdain.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    One of my favorite Bourdain moments is when he went back to the restaurant he worked as a Line Cook at (which I think he bought and owned at this point?) To reminisce, and was challenged to try and do his old job for a night now that he's one of the most recognized and famous chefs in the world.

He took the bet and lasted for, like, an hour or two before giving up, completely exhausted, saying how much harder it was than anything he does now and how he could never do that job again.

So many people would look at their old jobs, after finding great success, and go OH YEAH I COULD DO THAT AGAIN NO PROBLEM but Bourdain actually tried to see if he could and readily admitted that he had gotten soft and couldn't keep up with the demands anymore, highlighting how hard the actual cooks work every single day

He was a hell of a guy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This wasn’t the news I wanted to see this morning. I loved watching his show, which was undeniably a force for good, trying to teach us all that everywhere in the world is full of people who want to live a happy life and using food as a means to highlight their struggles.

His episode on Houston really sticks with me because where did he go? A low income HISD school cafeteria, a refugee run farm, a restaurant that serves Vietnamese and Mexican food that’s been there for decades, a park to eat BBQ with Slim Thug, and an Indian grocery store where they were Bollywood dancing. None of the trendy “YOU GOTTA EAT HERE” places, only places to celebrate diversity and elevate voices.

This sucks.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    One of my favorite moments is from the Parts Unknown episode on Charleston (yes I know, biased), where Shawn Brock made him go to waffle house, which he had never done at 58 years old, and he absolutely loved it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    2eqp2t1zdqhp.jpeg

This is such sad news. Bourdain was an inspiration to me to get out and try food, cooking, travel and just getting to know the world around you. He lived life in a way most people never will, even with all of the demons he had. RIP.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    One of my favorite moments is from the Parts Unknown episode on Charleston (yes I know, biased), where Shawn Brock made him go to waffle house, which he had never done at 58 years old, and he absolutely loved it

damn right he did, waffle house is great

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    One of the reasons I had to go to urgent care for poor knife safety while cooking this weekend was Anthony Bourdain.

Reading his books and watching his shows helped me expand my cooking sphere and I'm going to miss that irascible sonovabitch.

One of my favorite moments of his was watching him go knives out on Twitter when someone told him that Alton Brown sucked and Tony was having NONE OF IT.

this is all I could find

it's in reference to the fact that Bourdain had recently taken a dump on Food Network chefs as a whole, at which point Alton Brown was like "hey now buddy, I can cook like whoa"

Shorty on
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular

Alton showed me how to better enjoy the kitchen and the science of the food.

Bourdain showed me how to better expand my eating horizons and appreciate the cultures behind the recipes.

Those two taught me more about food than anyone else in my life save for my parents.

Yeah the two of them seemed to legitimately enjoy working together. One standout moment was when Brown appeared on the Atlanta episode of The Layover:

bourdain-alton-brown-altanta-strip-club.0.jpg
    Bourdain, Alton Brown and Blondie Strange at the Clermont Lounge in Atlanta.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Man, this sucks

Parts Unknown is a show my dad and I have watched together, and basically every time I caught even a few seconds of it passing by my TV I'd suddenly find myself sitting down to watch the whole thing. Bourdain was just sort of entrancing like that

I found a list once that had his top ten places to eat before you die, and conveniently one of them was a Kansas City BBQ place when I was there for work

It was the first American barbeque I'd ever had and perhaps the best

Maybe I oughta see about finishing that list someday

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Yeah just

Something about the fact that he's been to all these places I'll never get to go but went drunkenly to the same waffle house I have a million times and still enjoyed himself made me really happy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Man, this sucks

My mom and I are huge fans of Parts Unknown, and I know she's not gonna take this news well :(

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    When I'm traveling somewhere Anthony bourdain's episode's from the region I'm headed to are like an absolute must for preparation. When I went to Amsterdam I basically just put my trust in his suggestions for like half my time there.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular

Yeah just

Something about the fact that he's been to all these places I'll never get to go but went drunkenly to the same waffle house I have a million times and still enjoyed himself made me really happy

I know exactly how you feel. The Philly episode of The Layover had him either going to or name-dropping a bunch of my favorite dive bars, and a few of my favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and it put just the dumbest smile on my face to see him raving about them.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2018/6/8/17441342/bourdain

Someone wrote about this. It's a good eulogy.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

This is exactly every single one of my experiences in Waffle House

It is the perfect food for whenever you think "let's go to waffle house". It is exactly what you need.

• Options
    I absolutely loathe the fact that we don't have Waffle House here

I miss it dearly

along with sweet tea in every restaurant, it's one of the only things I miss about living in Mississippi

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I had the good fortune to see him live in Seattle back in 2016. His stage presence and charisma were amazing. He was funny as hell, and perhaps my favorite part was the bit where he took the audience through his carefully researched discovery that Guy Fieri had Food Network by the balls when it came to contract negotiations due to his shows being 60% of their prime earners.

Also he spent thirty minutes of his two hour set talking shit on Trump and his businesses, while sipping from a tall boy and grinning like hell.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Sweet tea is insanely raunchy and gross.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    when I was in rehab, my friend brought me some of his books and I read them twice and fantasized about new places and food that wasn't rice crispies in a styrofoam bowl and ended up kind of feeling like he was a cool uncle I'd never met

and now I won't

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Im having trouble putting it into words but Bourdain kind of like...taught me how to drink?

Like, I love beer, I love spirits, maybe even a bit too much, but in college and high school when everyone is learning about their limits, it was always "drink to get drunk". I was from a place where you didn't really go for anything better than as many Keystone Lights as you could slam before the night was over. Which is fine, but as I got older, and that kind of method to drinking stayed with me, it just lost its fun. And then I watched some Bourdain stuff.

And like, I guess he just teaches you - much like in the waffle house clip - to ask yourself what you want. What are you trying to get out of what you're about to eat or drink?

Suddenly having beers was different every time. You see him drink in so many situations, but it's different every time. The vibe, the conversation, the purpose, for lack of a better word.

Getting wasted and going to waffle house is different that drinking the night away with strangers in the Philippines and even more different than being plastered in Tokyo. It's not just "getting drunk" anymore, it's enjoying life and enjoying what's going on in that moment.

I can specifically recall being like, man I get drunk - and he's drunk - but why does his time there look so much BETTER than mine when we're both doing the same thing?

And it's a stupid little thing but it's really something I try to keep in mind with food and drink now. Not to be mindless. To think about why I'm doing what I'm doing, and enjoy it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

God damn, that man is a class act above all others.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

God damn, that man is a class act above all others.

The extent to which I miss having him as POTUS is almost painful.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My favourite episode of No Reservations is in Vietnam and they stop at a riverside whisky distillery and the gentleman of the establishment insists everyone present including the film crew enjoys beverages and they become quite trashed

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I always loved that his shows, always balanced planned bits, like meeting with Obama there (No way it wasn't planned), and seemingly totally random crap they were just wandering around and stumbled into. Like sometimes it seemed like they were just walking along found some cool super local shit and just said fuck it turn on the camera let's see where this goes. I was never quite sure if that's how it happened or if it was just that making it look like that was part of the plan, but it was always fairly endearing.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I re read his first comic, Get Jiro, and it is a rough, sometimes problematic, story but filled to the brim with his love of food, sense of humor and complete lack of patience for asshole food elitists and corrupt people in power.

If you're looking to do something in his memory today, and a story about a lone sushi chef violently murdering his way through a bunch of Chef Gangs in a dystopian future sounds fun, it's a solid choice.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    His episode from when he was in Iran was watched by a lot of my family and they were happy to see their home shown in a positive light, which almost never happens on television.

I have a feeling that episode may have changed some people's hearts, and that alone is an amazing feat.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm really in a weird headspace because of this.

• Options
    I saw someone on twitter say that the show was one of the only things on tv that really tried to convince white people not to be so fucking terrified of everyone else

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Anthony recently did an episode of Parts Unknown with Serj Tankian of System of a Down where they travelled through Armenia, and there's some good and powerful stuff in here about the Armenian genocide and the current geopolitical situation of Armenia. I always appreciated his willingness to tackle topics that other outlets shy away from, and especially just letting people directly affected talk about their experience without making it about himself.

https://youtu.be/B0st2H8cOXw

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I saw someone on twitter say that the show was one of the only things on tv that really tried to convince white people not to be so fucking terrified of everyone else

He was one of the few Americans on TV trying his hardest to convince his fellow citizens that they had more to be afraid of from spoiled food than from each other.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Man I love Waffle House.

They make the best waffles, as one would expect from a restaurant with "waffle" in the name.

Unlike IHOP, which only makes so-so pancakes.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    This sentence is both beautiful and heartbreaking.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Anthony recently did an episode of Parts Unknown with Serj Tankian of System of a Down where they travelled through Armenia, and there's some good and powerful stuff in here about the Armenian genocide and the current geopolitical situation of Armenia. I always appreciated his willingness to tackle topics that other outlets shy away from, and especially just letting people directly affected talk about their experience without making it about himself.

https://youtu.be/B0st2H8cOXw

Holy shit I always hoped he would do this but didn't know he did it

His shows were always "oh shit that's on where's he at this time" and I turn it over thinking I'll only be on there for 5 minutes but then it's 3 hours and 3 episodes later

I'd love to binge watch his stuff if I can

• Options
    Also this might be a bit esoteric for here, but Spencer Hall at SBNation and Every Day Should Be Saturday, a journalist focused on college football above most other things, wrote an obituary for Anthony Bourdain and his appreciation of Waffle House, and Spencer Hall is a writer that can make me cry easily
    ...It would be easy to say that Anthony Bourdain “got” places, but I hate that term. I kind of hate the term “understood”, too, because the word implies a kind of authority. “Understood” can make experience a mandatory training webinar to be completed, with certificates, stages, merit badges, and flair earned along the way. To the observer who gets and understands and frames places, there is only acquisition, and process, and then a new target.

That’s not what Bourdain’s work felt like, in the places I knew. His assessment of Waffle House — right down to the loving shots of a glassed-in calorie box floating in a spectral fog — is absolutely accurate, and loving in exactly the right measure. His Houston episode captured precisely what the experience of Houston in the 21st century can be: Confusing, hot, incredibly diverse, chaotic, ugly, and stuffed to the gills with gut-building calories at every turn. When Bourdain went to Nashville, he ate hot chicken at Bolton’s, not Hattie B’s or Prince’s. He went to places in the South and took them as they were, not as what he might thought they would or should be. He did all of this at great speed, and yet with great care....

...That’s the real and miraculous here. There are people who can see the world in all its poverty and sorrow. But there are so few who recognize themselves in it and of it, and fewer still who invite it in to sit down, to eat, and to have a few minutes of peace and appreciation at the eternal, drunken forgiving present of a dinner table. Anthony Bourdain did — and most generously, tried to show everyone else how to do it, too.