As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOUIS LE PRINCE INVENTED [movie thread] SO EDISON HAD HIM KILLED

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I am like the lone dude who does not like Toy Story 2 basically at all

Nah I don't really like it either.

I don't have an opinion on the saddest song but the best song is I Can Go The Distance and I will fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The Toy Story franchise gets sadder with each installment.

I assume the Toy Story segment of KH3 will rival the greatest Greek tragedies

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Griffin Newman is on his way to end you now

Oh I can take him
    What if he brings David and Ben

While they were loving Toy Story 2 I studied the blade

and inside the blade, another blade

it's the gom jabbar

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Hey has Tim Allen ever given any performance even close to as good as his Buzz?

Like, even in the same echalon?

Edit: Galaxy Quest, never mind

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Somehow I always forget just how incredibly homoerotic Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is until I watch it again.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Oh I can take him

You're really putting your chicken on the top shelf right now

• Options

Home Improvement Season 4, Episode 22 - "Tool Time After Dark" (Part 1)

Most convincing portrayal of gastric distress ever put on television.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm kind of surprised to hear people didn't like Toy Story 2. I thought it was basically universally loved and it's arguably the best of the three movies.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I dunno about the saddest Disney song. But i think we can all agree about the best disney song.

I'll Make A Man Out Of You.

• Options

Lexi I consider you one of my best friends

And I like to think I know your tastes and reasoning for those tastes pretty well

I can never fucking tell if you actually love Home Improvement or if its the weirdest grift of all time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I dunno about the saddest Disney song. But i think we can all agree about the best disney song.

3clipse wrote: »
    the best song is I Can Go The Distance and I will fight to the death anyone who disagrees.

meet me out back, let's do this

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I'll Make A Man Out Of You is probably the best Disney song that isn't a villain song, yeah, but it's a far cry from actual best song.

• Options

Lexi I consider you one of my best friends

And I like to think I know your tastes and reasoning for those tastes pretty well

I can never fucking tell if you actually love Home Improvement or if its the weirdest grift of all time

Why you gotta bring a concept like love into this?

I have watched a lot of Home Improvement.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I remember Home Improvement being pretty good, and am also a respected critic of accurate bowel movements in movies. For instance, in Season 2 Episode 13 of HBO's "The Sopranos", the noises associated with Tony's gastrointestinal distress do not accurately portray the noises associated with that condition.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

anyone who thinks there is a Disney song better than this is lying to themselves

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I remember Home Improvement being pretty good, and am also a respected critic of accurate bowel movements in movies. For instance, in Season 2 Episode 13 of HBO's "The Sopranos", the noises associated with Tony's gastrointestinal distress do not accurately portray the noises associated with that condition.

Tube's Qualifications:

-Experienced technical engineer and forum administrator

-Hedgehoggist

-PhD in Fuckstyles, experienced Fuckstyler

-Shitting actuary

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Be Prepared is my personal favorite

But Hellfire is also very good

And I'd probably round out my top three with Poor Unfortunate Souls

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I don't like movies that lionise organised crime, so I don't think I'll like this. See also: every British movie, peaky blinders.

I like how in most American organised crime movies, the characters tend to eat shit by the end of the film. They do terrible things, then terrible things happen to them.

In Guy Ritchie English gangster movies, someone always gets away in the end with the loot.

Like crime movies as a genre are typically about a hero who lives in a broken system, and so the only way they can succeed is to circumvent the normal social system and rise up through crime.

But then they are victims of their own success, as their elevation on top of a new unjust system just turns them into what they were resisting in the first place.

So their inevitable destruction is both a moral lesson - crime doesn't pay - as well as reinforcing the condemnation against the fat cats at the top of the system in the first place.

If the moviemaker is purposefully trying to subvert that formula than hey, that's fine and dandy.

But I get the impression that for fellows like Guy Ritchie, they just think the criminal thing is cool, and subversion doesn't even occur to them.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular

Boy. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I don't like movies that lionise organised crime, so I don't think I'll like this. See also: every British movie, peaky blinders.

I like how in most American organised crime movies, the characters tend to eat shit by the end of the film. They do terrible things, then terrible things happen to them.

In Guy Ritchie English gangster movies, someone always gets away in the end with the loot.

Like crime movies as a genre are typically about a hero who lives in a broken system, and so the only way they can succeed is to circumvent the normal social system and rise up through crime.

But then they are victims of their own success, as their elevation on top of a new unjust system just turns them into what they were resisting in the first place.

So their inevitable destruction is both a moral lesson - crime doesn't pay - as well as reinforcing the condemnation against the fat cats at the top of the system in the first place.

If the moviemaker is purposefully trying to subvert that formula than hey, that's fine and dandy.

But I get the impression that for fellows like Guy Ritchie, they just think the criminal thing is cool, and subversion doesn't even occur to them.

I feel like Ritchie at least tries to avoid that by having the main characters 'heroes' always be sort of the lesser evil - they don't usually end up as mob bosses or what have you, just a few guys trying to scrape by in the middle of a bunch of nonsense with really bad guys around.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I'll Make a Man Out of You is a well-written song but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics anymore.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Honestly the most recent Disney stuff has had some pretty outstanding music

I would put songs from Moana, Coco and maybe even Frozen in a Disney Top 10

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm honestly not sure why but We Know the Way was probably the most emotionally devastating Disney song for me

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure why but We Know the Way was probably the most emotionally devastating Disney song for me
    It is an extremely good song

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'll Make a Man Out of You is a well-written song but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics anymore.

Yeahhhhh I love that song but it is absolutely a Problematic Fave at this point

• Options
    It is an extremely good song

I am Moana is basically a reprise of this but its the part that kills me in the movie

• Options
    Duane The Rock Johnson was very annoying in what I saw of Moana. I made it to the song about shiny doubloons before I stopped watching

• Options

Yeahhhhh I love that song but it is absolutely a Problematic Fave at this point

"Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?" is not great in-context but is also, ah, resonant beyond the context of the song.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

Oh I can take him

You're really putting your chicken on the top shelf right now

this idiom is fascinating to me and I don't even know if I want to look up what it means

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The Rock is very good in Moana

He's big but he cedes the movie to Moana when he needs to, and the performance has more depth than he's shown anywhere else

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Moana had so many good songs

How Far I'll Go, Where You Are, We Know the Way, You're Welcome, Shiny, I Am Moana, Know Who You Are are all fantastic

• Options
    he also sings the shit out of You're Welcome

• Options
    dang I sure did love Moana, I should watch that again

• Options
    Moana had so many good songs

How Far I'll Go, Where You Are, We Know the Way, You're Welcome, Shiny, I Am Moana, Know Who You Are are all fantastic

It turns out Lin Manuel Miranda is very good at his job

• Options
    Moana probably has the highest density of songs I like in any Disney movie

I don't think there are any others whose soundtrack I will just listen to straight through

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I totally had the perception that toy story 2 was a surprisingly good sequel, but that it was uncommon to hold it in higher regard than the first movie

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I am Moana (reprise) is where that movie categorically destroyed me. Coco had way less of an impact on me than Moana, that moment specifically

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm kind of surprised to hear people didn't like Toy Story 2. I thought it was basically universally loved and it's arguably the best of the three movies.

Toy Story 2
    Toy Story 3
    Toy Story

I think the highs are higher in Toy Story 3, and I think it's one of the movies that weaponizes nostalgia for the franchise from a thematic perspective better than I've ever seen, but it's not as consistently good as 2.

edit: but from the moment they enter the disposal factory to the credits that movie has me by the guts

cursedking on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moana probably has the highest density of songs I like in any Disney movie

I don't think there are any others whose soundtrack I will just listen to straight through

Fantasia?

• Options
    Toy Story 3 is just a ripoff of The Brave Little Toaster

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.