As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Will there be a Switch version for the Bravely games, you think?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Will there be a Switch version for the Bravely games, you think?

given how Bravely Second ended, a Bravely Third for Switch is all but an inevitability at this point

it's just a matter of when

edit: unless you mean ports of BD+BS to Switch in which case probably not

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Went for the pre-order so now I'm torn between going in sorta blind or researching ALL THE THINGS.

I'm eager to know more about the characters, but trying not to let game mechanics have too much sway on my party or path order.

Probably going to end up staring at the initial select screen for a good while...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Get the demo (your save file will cary over) and do your initial start screen staring now... so that on release day you're ready to just jump in and go.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Your AmazonSmile order of "Project Octopath Traveller" has shipped!

Woooooooo

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Bravely Default does have its share of narrative issues. But the team realized that between games, and Second had a more solid narrative. So I'm confident.

Second executes the "twist" a lot better than Default did too. Instead of
    Making you replay the game LIKE FIVE TIMES (was it four, idfk), they "restart the game", except not really, and it's only once.

The game does start over for plot purposes, but it ends up sending you to new locations otherwise so it's all but a fakeout in the end and it's SO well done.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I never played through Bravely Second, even though I really like the first game. Turning off the random encounters was the best thing ever. That being said, the "twist" wasn't for me. I powered through to the end though.

Maybe I'll get Bravely Second when I have some free time to get through my backlog. BWA HA HA HA! I crack myself up.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Bravely Default does have its share of narrative issues. But the team realized that between games, and Second had a more solid narrative. So I'm confident.
    One should note that they didn't quite learn the lesson completely at first, because in the Japanese version
    you were forced to go through the side stories for the BD1 Asterisks a minimum of four times if you wanted to get "good endings" for them; you always get a "bad ending" the first time you pick a side, picking it a second time gets the "good ending", and you have to do it for both sides.
    Players rightly complained about this, and they fixed it in the international versions by
    removing the "bad endings" completely.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    One should note that they didn't quite learn the lesson completely at first, because in the Japanese version
    you were forced to go through the side stories for the BD1 Asterisks a minimum of four times if you wanted to get "good endings" for them; you always get a "bad ending" the first time you pick a side, picking it a second time gets the "good ending", and you have to do it for both sides.
    Players rightly complained about this, and they fixed it in the international versions by
    removing the "bad endings" completely.

Oh yeah, I heard about that.
    One of my favorite reversals on the NG+ version of the side stories is the Black Mage vs Ranger one. On NG+, Edea totally cheats the situation by hiding extra food and arranging a search party ahead of time. Basically removing any consequences from the original situation, so you don't need to worry about changing your decision.
    I'm never going to get the Thief asterisk, regardless. DeRosa can burn for all I care; I am not trusting him with nuclear power.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, my copy just shipped!

Also, after a lot of back and forth, I've finally settled on Cyrus as my main character. I'm not quite sure yet on the order in which I'm gonna pick the other characters though. I think I'll get the characters that won't be in my main party first so that I'll use them a least a little bit..except for Therion; gonna get him first so that I can steal and access treasure chests ASAP.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I did the survey on the octopath website and it said that I should start with Primrose which is perfect because that's who I think I was going to start with anyway. Her story interest me quite a bit and I quite like her character.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/octopath-traveler-review?read

Review confirms there is no main story, it's definitely just 8 self-contained short stories. Which is quite the departure from the norm and not really a bad thing, but I can't get excited for that so I won't be buying it now. I am the sad. :(

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Anyone ever buy a game from Amazon the day before it comes out? Wondering how soon you got it. Just bought the game, but it told me delivery estimate was July 17th and I have prime. Thinking I might cancel this.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    I did that and got Tressa with Alfyn secondary. They already caught my interest because their classes seem more unique, so I'll probably go for them. Alfyn w/ warrior sub seems like a good main.

How exactly do the subclasses work? Do you get all of the skills from both classes? Do you get the talent but not the path action?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It's disappointing that the stories don't interact, but I'm here for the combat and the look. Hopefully the separate stories themselves are good enough.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    There's a tidbit in the Kotaku piece that people are focusing on, basically Nintendo said that there's definitely "more" it's just locked behind side quests? I wouldn't hold on to that hope myself, it just seems like more that people are going to cling to and get disappointed about. I still plan to enjoy the game, but yeah, don't go into it if you just can't get behind having 8 largely independent stories.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    I did that and got Tressa with Alfyn secondary. They already caught my interest because their classes seem more unique, so I'll probably go for them. Alfyn w/ warrior sub seems like a good main.

How exactly do the subclasses work? Do you get all of the skills from both classes? Do you get the talent but not the path action?

Subjobs work exactly how someone's main job works, you get several skills you can unlock and use and they affect what weapon types you can use. Active skills can only be used from what's equipped. You can equip any unlocked passive, even from jobs you're not actively using. Talents and path actions are character specific, not attached to jobs so you don't get either.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Jason Schrier is lukewarm on it

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-the-kotaku-review-1827537100

Likes the combat, doesn't like the story structure.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It's a spiritual successor to a SaGa game, with BD combat elements. That's how I'm going into it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I'm gonna start with the Hunter I think.

Man. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I'm really looking forward to this game. A lot.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They are preparing my CE.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »

Subjobs work exactly how someone's main job works, you get several skills you can unlock and use and they affect what weapon types you can use. Active skills can only be used from what's equipped. You can equip any unlocked passive, even from jobs you're not actively using. Talents and path actions are character specific, not attached to jobs so you don't get either.

So for example, anyone could sub hunter but only H'aanit can have an animal companion?

If so, that's really good to know.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm gonna start with the Hunter I think.

Man. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I'm really looking forward to this game. A lot.

I HOPEST THOU LIKENETH THINE BROKINE MADETH UPENTH YE OLDE ENGLISHE

There's noooo way I'd be able to handle that crap for the entire thing. Hoo boy.

I got nothing against "Ye Olde English" (see: Frog in Chrono Trigger, MY BOYYY), but when they literally make that shit up on the fly and follow zero actual linguistic/grammatical rules, it's a fuckin' wash. HEY, HEY LOCALIZERS? HOW ABOUT?? YOU DON'T??? DO THAT???????

Anywho I'm gonna start the demo today (WOW LATE I KNOW, I was finishing up another game D:<) and I'll probably go with Primrose. Her story really intrigues me, I'm interested to see where it goes and how it resolves.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I went with the scholar and he is boring.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    MY OCTOPATH IS OUT FOR DELIVERY! THIS NEVER HAPPENS!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Out for delivery???

Do you live in the future?!

• Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Krathoon wrote: »
      I went with the scholar and he is boring.

Pistols at dawn, sir.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
      I've been playing all the characters in the demo to see which I want to main, I'm through OCTOPA and will finish TH tonight.

So far Tressa, Primrose, and Alfyn have been the most interesting. Probably leaning towards Prim or Tressa as my main at the moment.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Lucascraft wrote: »
      Out for delivery???

Do you live in the future?!

xiqsjdnfoc1d.png

Yes I do!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
        That GameXplain review just sold me on the game, I think. It's a little disappointing that none of the tales interact, but I will forgive that if the rest of the game is top notch, and it looks like it is. I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack, too.

Steam: Spawnbroker
      • Options
        NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
        captaink wrote: »
        Jason Schrier is lukewarm on it

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-the-kotaku-review-1827537100

Likes the combat, doesn't like the story structure.

Given that he got some basic facts wrong with his XC2 review (not really grasping combat, or character motivations, or some other foundational things), I don't put much stock in his opinion.

• Options
        I can respect that he's well regarded by many. He tends to have a strong opinion and the things he says in his OT review aren't necessarily false, but they're things that grind on him a lot more than it might most people. I think if you tend to agree with his opinion on games he's probably a good resource for you. That said, I tend to disagree with him and I bet this is no different.

With that being said, I'm actually wondering if him being so soured on certain parts of the game come from how quickly he seemed to have gotten through it. He says he clocked in about 36 hours and did all 8 stories + some side stuff. Other reviews put in 50-60 hours and only finished one or two characters. I feel like, yeah, if you push through the stories that quickly you're bound to notice things like more repetitive qualities. I wonder if he, and this isn't exactly his fault because lol review deadlines, sort of set himself up for failure by treating it as a game he just had to push through rather than experience.

• Options
        Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
        I am so looking forward to the game more now. The genre has been flirting (Saga, some FFs, some DQs) with the greater story and separate smaller stories for a long while now. For me world building is one of the best aspects of the fantasy genre and a game based solely around world building with separate stories going on throughout the continent just sounds exciting.

• Options
        MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        I mean, I know we want the stories to intersect each other, but if you're talking about a huge world of people it's rather unlikely that most people will meet each other. That sort of thing really only happens in cliche "fated destiny" types of stories. Kind of refreshing to have a bunch of separate stories to be honest.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • Options
        SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
        MNC Dover wrote: »
        I mean, I know we want the stories to intersect each other, but if you're talking about a huge world of people it's rather unlikely that most people will meet each other. That sort of thing really only happens in cliche "fated destiny" types of stories. Kind of refreshing to have a bunch of separate stories to be honest.

But they do meet up. You get all 8 of 'em, and for them to not really interact that much is kind of a bummer.

I'm still looking forward to this, but having no central thread is definitely reducing my interest a bit.

• Options
        Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
        Think of it this way. They might not have a greater story in this one... we shall see. But in sequels....

• Options
        Is it released today?

• Options
        Krathoon wrote: »
        Is it released today?

Tomorrow, but some people found it early. Also, I believe it goes live on the eShop tonight at midnight EST, or rather that's the assumption so hopefully!

• Options
        y'all am i the only one who still goes out to an actual physical game store and buys the thing on release day

(it helps that my gamestop is less than 5 mins away)

you kids and your newfangled amazons

DNiDlnb.png