As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo eShop] So many classic games, so little time to play them all.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Switch was the only way I could finish Dandara. Being able to play in handheld mode and rotate the whole system helped me keep things straight in my head.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    My Nintendo has new gold points reward discounts on these 3DS/Wii U eshop downloads:
    https://my.nintendo.com/news/f92eeb5de1b4b663
    1wysvgxh8e10.jpg

• Options
    #FE is SO GOOD!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Seems odd it hasn't been ported to Switch yet. I'd love to play it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    One day Nintendo will realize they have this new console called the Switch which we'd all love to spend our Plat/Gold coins on.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Or some better discounts at least. With the old club nintendo I remember getting that samurai game for free with some of my coins. Now we have to spend coins just to get 30% off of it. Come on Nintendo. Just scrap the rewards program all together if this is as good as it'll get.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I would so buy that shadow dragon if my damn Wii U was still hooked up...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I remember playing Shadow Dragon on the DS and man was it bad. Like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be an update or a release. The graphics were muddy sprites and the mechanics were archaic and in desperate need of streamlining.

Like I get that the original FE games were amazing for their time, but there is no excuse for QoL changes. FE: Shadow Dragon deserves a FE: Echoes make over.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I remember playing Shadow Dragon on the DS and man was it bad. Like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be an update or a release. The graphics were muddy sprites and the mechanics were archaic and in desperate need of streamlining.

Like I get that the original FE games were amazing for their time, but there is no excuse for QoL changes. FE: Shadow Dragon deserves a FE: Echoes make over.

Yeah, I watched a let's play of it. Still would like to play it :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shadow Dragon is a real PoS for sure. It throws like three of every class at you per level and is like "pick one, it doesn't fucking matter who." Then it has semi-interesting secret levels you can only get to by running your extra dudes in your army through a blender. And there's no support conversations. And the plot is NES level deep. Strategy games without any deep features or interesting writing are kind of terrible.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    #FE is SO GOOD!
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Hopefully it's coming at some point. Anime plot aside, it's a genuinely fun and stylish RPG, and deserves the kind of attention it never got on the WiiU.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    #FE is SO GOOD!
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Hopefully it's coming at some point. Anime plot aside, it's a genuinely fun and stylish RPG, and deserves the kind of attention it never got on the WiiU.

Yeah the music is great too.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Never even heard of that FE game. Is that a traditional FE or something different?

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Never even heard of that FE game. Is that a traditional FE or something different?

It's a Fire Emblem game the same way Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game.

Totally different gameplay but a lot of characters and references and 1000x more anime bullshit. Since Fire Emblem is already running hot on fantastic anime bullshit, well... it gets a little out of hand.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It’s Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    #FE is SO GOOD!

It needs to come back to the switch for more people to enjoy it!

• Options
    This weeks’ eShop update

Switch Retail

Dead Cells – $19.99 (available August 7)
    Overcooked 2 – $24.99 (available August 7)

Switch Download

1979 Revolution: Black Friday – $9.59
    Ayakashi Koi Gikyoku: Forbidden Romance with Mysterious Spirit – $24.99
    Battle Supremacy – $9.99
    Crush Your Enemies! – $8.00
    Cycle 28 – $6.99
    Eekeemoo – Splinters of the Dark Shard – $4.99
    Flat Heroes – $7.99
    Flipping Death – $19.99 (available August 7)
    Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2 – $12.99
    Iconoclasts – $19.99
    Johnny Turbo’s Arcade: Shoot Out – $6.99
    Kensho – $14.99
    Loot Monkey: Bling Palace – $7.00 (available August 6)
    Not a Hero: Super Snazzy Edition – $12.99
    Picross S2 – $8.99
    Pixel Action Heroes – $4.99
    Road to Ballhalla – $14.99
    Salt and Sanctuary – $17.99
    Slam Land – $7.99 (available August 7)
    Super Blackjack Battle 2 Turbo Edition – The Card Warriors – $6.39 (available August 7)
    The Inner World – $11.99 (available August 3)
    The Inner World: The Last Wind Monk – $14.99
    Toby: The Secret Mine – $9.59 (available August 7)

Switch Demo

Yoku’s Island Express

3DS Download

WarioWare Gold – $39.99 (available August 3)

Wii U Download

Forest Escape – $0.70

eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
    Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    More Picross! :D

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    #FE is tempting but I really just want to play it on my Switch. I'll play full price! I enjoy my WiiU, but I've got a small stack of backlog games I am working on, and when I am done I want to be done. I'll consider grabbing Bravely Default or Fire Emblem Conquest- it's been a while since I played anything in either style, and the 3DS is still a fantastic system.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah i love my wiiu but I'll never play stuff on it anymore because i can't take the gamepad with me

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The weird muddy sprites were THE reason I couldn't get into Shadow Dragon. I mean, older FE is (to me) all about badass sprites and really flashy and cool crit attacks and stuff like that. Hell, the whole reason I got so deep into the FE games on GBA is because I loved seeing how unlocking those second-tier classes would upgrade the look of my characters.

I adore the new FEs - Awakening was in my top 10 games of all time, I think, the last time I tried to make a list - but I miss those old sprites. And Shadow Dragon's were effing gross and bland.

Speaking of FE, I would love to see #FE on Switch, just like literally every other warm-blooded Switch-owning RPG lover. I kind of assume that it will happen eventually? I'm less confident about some other much-requested stuff like Wonderful 101, but if you're Nintendo, why on earth are you waiting to announce ports of Super Mario Maker and #FE? It's not like you're going to cannibalize sales on Wii U at this point.

Maybe they don't want Switch to develop a "Wii U port heap" reputation, but... we already have MK8, and DKC, and Bayonetta, and tons of other good stuff.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I mean, even taking into account that it was on Wii U, Tokyo Mirage Sessions sold really badly. Obviously a port would sell better on Switch..but good enough to justify the cost of doing a port? Who knows.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I'd guess switch and wiiu have very different architectures, too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yeah, the game uses the Gamepad quite a lot, so that'd have be reworked as well.

I'd love to see the game get another chance on the Switch, but it's absolutely not a surefire thing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I was really annoyed to find out that #FE used the gamepad in such a way that off-TV play wasn't an option. I'd estimate that half of my time with Persona 5 was on my Vita via Remote Play. I own #FE, but at this point, I'm not sure if I'll ever actually play it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I was really annoyed to find out #FE had that truly stupid name. Might cost it some sales among people who don't follow games closely and didn't realize it involves franchises they might have liked.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    This weeks' eShop update

Switch Retail

State of Mind – $39.99 (available August 15)
    Cosmic Star Heroine – $13.49 (available August 14)

Switch Download

ACA NeoGeo Prehistoric Isle 2 – $7.99
    2064: Read Only Memories Integral – $18.57
    BlobCat – $9.99
    Catch ‘Em! Goldfish Scooping – $7.99
    Dragon Ball FighterZ open beta
    Green – $2.99
    Megaton Rainfall – $15.99
    Mini Metro – $9.99 (available August 10)
    Minit – $9.99
    Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren’s Call – $14.99 (available August 10)
    Okami HD – $19.99
    Shut Eye – $3.99
    SubaraCity – $5.00
    Tetra’s Ecape – $4.99 (available August 10)
    The Amazing Shinsengumi: Heroes in Love – $11.99
    Unexplored – $13.50

Switch Demos

Earthlock
    Pixel Action Heroes
    Toki Tori 2+
    Valkyria Chronicles 4

eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
    Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at http://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Damn it. I have so many Artifex Mundi games on my Xbox One already, but I'm constantly tempted to pick them up on the Switch just because.

• Options
    There's really a wide range of selection and I don't really know what to choose to sometimes. Maybe if someone could pile up a list of games that must be played first :) That would be awesome thou !

1. Your positivity in every thread today is awe-inspiring;
    2. Your avatar is the shit, that's my CC main right there;
    3. Obviously Metacritic will only take you so far, but... this sorted list of the top-reviewed Switch games makes for a pretty insane #1 through... uh... man, the top 100 has awesome stuff all the way to #100 and beyond.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it would also help if you gave some examples of other types of games you really enjoy (or even just genres).

• Options
    There's really a wide range of selection and I don't really know what to choose to sometimes. Maybe if someone could pile up a list of games that must be played first :) That would be awesome thou !

Games I have personally played and really enjoyed:
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Mario Odyssey
    Mario Kart 8
    Splatoon 2 (!!!! this is my unexpected favorite)
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Bayonetta 1 + 2 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are excellent games that I played on the WiiU and from what I hear are just as good / better on the Switch.

There are a bunch of indie games that are also available on PC but really fun on the Switch, like Banner Saga, Shovel Knight, Celeste, Overcooked, Stardew Valley, etc.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Dang I just splurged on some eshop sales. Floor Kids, Crypt of Necrodancer, Minnit, Kero Blaster. Preordered Dead Cells from best buy, and Flint Hook should be on its way this month too.

Love my switch.

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Or some better discounts at least. With the old club nintendo I remember getting that samurai game for free with some of my coins. Now we have to spend coins just to get 30% off of it. Come on Nintendo. Just scrap the rewards program all together if this is as good as it'll get.

There are a few fully paid/freebies up: Runbow Pocket, Noitu Love Devolution, Severed, and Freedom Planet.

I already have Runbow and Freedom Planet for Wii U, so I went ahead and picked up Noitu Love. Mostly because my points are expiring like crazy and who knows if I would ever have had anything else to spend them on before they are taken from me.

• Options
    I got Pokemon Ultra Sun on a whim which gave me the points to get Severed for free. Same dev as Guacamelee, so it's probably good stuff.

(It's hilarious that your rival picks the Pokemon that's weak to you. What a goober.)

• Options
    Hau is not really your rival in SuMo or USUM.
    he is 100% your cheerleader.
    There is no rival anymore.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hau is not really your rival in SuMo or USUM.
    he is 100% your cheerleader.
    There is no rival anymore.

This is maybe the first time in my life that I have unironically felt a sense of, "Bah, kids these days. Everything's getting soft." Back in my day, you had a rival in Pokemon, and he chose the Pokemon that was strong against the one you picked, and that motherfucker chased you all around the world, and he taunted you mercilessly, and whenever his dumb sprite showed up on the screen, sauntering in all happy-go-lucky and carefree, brimming with cockiness, you felt the urge to stuff him and his entire family into a wood chipper.

...Today's kids are soft, I tell ya!

• Options
    Yeah, Hau is cool. Rivals are no longer a holes like they were in the GB days.

• Options
    I liked... Black? Where you had a rival from home who chased your shadow and also you had a different rival who was like "Pokemon fighting is bad... I will prove it to you via the method of Pokemon fighting." Hau seems likes a silly goober, but I suppose some would prefer that. To me, I like the sneering "smell ya later" type who will make me happy to crush him. Beating Hau in that first fight was like kicking a puppy (or a kitty, since he got the fire starter).

Is fashion back from X/Y in this one? I really don't care for this starting outfit.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i kind of hope the lets go games are more kid friendly and the main line pokemon game grows up a little. everyone is going to buy them all anyway, might as well cast the net really wide while theyre at it.

• Options
    I liked... Black? Where you had a rival from home who chased your shadow and also you had a different rival who was like "Pokemon fighting is bad... I will prove it to you via the method of Pokemon fighting." Hau seems likes a silly goober, but I suppose some would prefer that. To me, I like the sneering "smell ya later" type who will make me happy to crush him. Beating Hau in that first fight was like kicking a puppy (or a kitty, since he got the fire starter).

Is fashion back from X/Y in this one? I really don't care for this starting outfit.

Yeah, you get fashion options, some of them are really cool and some are really awful.

I could get into verbal fisticuffs about Pokemon Rivals and which game does them right and which game does them poorly, but I will just say that Sun/Moon gets the rivals RIGHT. It's got a bit of everything, but it's all rooted and grounded in an authentic way that never feels cheap. Pokemon games aren't necessarily examples of brilliant writing, but the entirety of the Sun/Moon cast is awesome, and even US/UM doesn't manage to hit it quite as well despite being mostly the same. Regardless, I hope they keep up the quality in Gen 8, instead of dropping the ball like they did going from BW (cool cast of characters) -> XY (yawnsville).

This discussion has been closed.